stasisLAX

Cadillac Unveils New XTS Full-sized Sedan

Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:38 am

Cadillac launched the new 2011 XTS full-sized sedan at the Detroit Auto Show as a thinly disguised "concept" vehicle. GM also released official photos of the car that reflect Cadillac's controversial "Art and Science" design language is alive and well. The luxury sedan will replace the ancient DTS (nee DeVille) front drive sedan and the STS (nee Seville) rear-wheel drive sedan in the U.S. market.

Big version: Width: 500 Height: 333 File size: 20kb
2011 Cadillac XTS concept sedan

The XTS utilizes GM's Epsilon platform (Chevy Malibu, the Saab 9-3, Opel Insignia, and the new Buick Century and LaCrosse. The XTS is based on stretched version of the front-/all-wheel-drive Epsilon platform— the Buick LaCrosse is truly its closest "cousin". The XTS’s 111.7-inch wheelbase matches that of the LaCrosse, although the XTS is about 6 inches longer in total length. The chassis has not been widened, meaning that 3 across seating will be a tight fit, although loaded with only 4 passengers, the car should have plenty of legroom and headroom.

The XTS also shares the direct-injected 3.6-liter V-6 from the Buick LaCrosse with a plug-in hybrid system; with an estimated total output of 350 horsepower. The concept vehicle is motivated by an all-wheel-drive system that will almost definitely be offered on a production XTS - possibly as the standard powertrain. The suspension will offer adjustable magnetorheological shocks that should allow the driver to choose the ride and handling characteristics.

The car looks good in a stately kind of way, but I think that Cadillac needed to widen the Epsilon platform to make this truly a Cadillac, and not just a longer version of the LaCrosse. Although the all-wheel drive should be excellent in the snow and rain. Thoughts, motorheads?

Source: http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives...acs_press_conference_at_naias.html
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

cpd

RE: Cadillac Unveils New XTS Full-sized Sedan

Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:40 am

Not sure about the look. Seems to be an unhappy mix of Holden Caprice and the existing Cadillac cars. But it could have been a lot worse. Would have been nicer if it weren't so tall looking - but that's probably the width doing that.

Also not sure about a front-drive platform for this kind of car.

[Edited 2010-01-15 03:42:21 by cpd]

MD11junkie

Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:49 am

Ok, odd things with this Caddy:

V6 engine, not V8.
FWD/AWD, not RWD.
The car looks a bit Audish, except for the stylish/characteristic Caddy front design.
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

cpd

Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:58 am

This is where it gets the roof-line and general side profile from:

Holden Caprice

There you can see the width that is missing from the Cadillac in comparison.Our car is rear-drive though (with magnetic dampers),

I wonder why Cadillac is using a V6 engine in something like this? 8 cylinders is much more suitable for larger cars to provide adequate performance and refinement.

[Edited 2010-01-15 04:20:42 by cpd]

MD11junkie

Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:09 pm

Quoting Cpd (Reply 3):

Ah... the beautiful Caprice. God I miss Australian Cars!  cry 
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

JJJ

Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:25 pm

Quoting MD11junkie (Reply 2):
V6 engine, not V8

A 360hp V6. That's more than a mustang GT's V8 or Chrysler's Hemi on the 300C.

MD11junkie

Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:28 pm

Quoting JJJ (Reply 5):

You misinterpreted the remark. I would have expected that a car this size to include a Northstar V8. I guess (for good), GM is including much more efficient engines, I'm not sure, however, if the American people will like'em.

cpd

Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:30 pm

Quoting JJJ (Reply 5):

But much less than what we have in GM's Australian lineup (445hp V8 / 6 speed auto). The problem with the V6 engines from GM isn't power, they have lots of that, but they need to be raced to the rev-limit in the large cars in order to provide any sort of reasonable acceleration.

They are very lacking in torque which is essential to motivate these big cars in a quiet manner. The GM 6.0L and 6.2L V8 is much better in that respect. It is barely audible - but has big reserves of performance.

[Edited 2010-01-15 04:35:40 by cpd]

[Edited 2010-01-15 04:39:42 by cpd]

[Edited 2010-01-15 04:40:06 by cpd]

falstaff

Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:34 pm

Quoting MD11junkie (Reply 2):
Ok, odd things with this Caddy:

V6 engine, not V8.
FWD/AWD, not RWD.

A full size Caddy needs to be rear wheel drive and it needs to be V-8. I bought a Lincoln Town Car because there were no new full size V-8 RWD Cadillacs. The CTS is a nice car, but it is too sporty for me. The DTS is nice, but it is FWD.  Angry
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

BMI727

Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:36 pm

Quoting StasisLAX (Thread starter):
The XTS is based on stretched version of the front-/all-wheel-drive Epsilon platform

That kills most interest I would have in the car.

plug-in hybrid system;

And that kills the rest of the interest I would have in the XTS.

You know, for a while, I thought that Cadillac was on their way to turning it around with the CTS, Escalade, STS and XLR. But now they show up with this, and I don't know what to think.

They need to go back to the drawing board, start with a new platform (  Wow! ) and build a quality luxury sedan with rear and all wheel drive, a standard V8 (optional V-12 anyone?), all the modern features, then build it so it won't fall apart and sell it for $75,000 like the real luxury car manufacturers do.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

DocLightning

Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:41 pm

Cadillac launched the new 2011 XTS full-sized sedan at the Detroit Auto Show as a thinly disguised "concept" vehicle.

How about a thinly disguised ugly vehicle?  yuck   vomit   yuck   vomit 
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Cadet57

Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:43 pm

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 8):

Bingo.

Caddy just screwed themselves over. What a turd. They also may have just killed their biggest market. The livery/ funeral market. Id like to see them stretch that thing and make it a hearse  sarcastic . And a V6? Seriously?
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

MD11junkie

Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:54 pm

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 8):
A full size Caddy needs to be rear wheel drive and it needs to be V-8. I bought a Lincoln Town Car because there were no new full size V-8 RWD Cadillacs. The CTS is a nice car, but it is too sporty for me. The DTS is nice, but it is FWD. Angry

Exactly my point!

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 11):
Bingo.

Caddy just screwed themselves over. ... And a V6? Seriously?

checkmark 

Ken777

Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:20 pm

I'm still driving an 02 DeVille and think I'll hold on to it. WHile some people hate the FWD it has been great the past week in the snow & ice.

As for the Holden/Caddy look, I'm not that impressed with the look of the car. The Holden looks better and would make a good Chevy Caprice 0 if the price was right.

Sadly GM is still in the clouds in terms of pricing. Sort of the McMansions of the car world.

Cadet57

Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:12 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 13):
WHile some people hate the FWD it has been great the past week in the snow & ice.

Exactly. I would love if the DTS was rwd, but the fact remains is that in the winter nothing beats being able to just get up and move with fwd traction. Where I work we have a 96 fleetwood hearse that is awful in the snow when there is no weight on the back tires. I much rather drive our DTS that can just plow thru the same conditions that bog the fleetwood down.

PHLBOS

Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:43 pm

Quoting Cpd (Reply 3):
I wonder why Cadillac is using a V6 engine in something like this? 8 cylinders is much more suitable for larger cars to provide adequate performance and refinement.

I will give you a couple; and I have mentioned these in past related-threads nearly every time this subject comes up:

1. Mass-produced cars in the U.S. are subject to CAFE standards and have been since 1978. Thanks to the Democrat-controlled Congress and Bush for stupidly signing the legislation in 2007 and Obama (no surprise) strengthening it last year; the CAFE standards will be drastically increasing starting in 2012. A large, V8-powered vehicle will hinder Cadillac from either meeting that standard or keep out of the being fined by the government line. There's no vehicle in Cadillac's current line-up that generates higher than CAFE ratings to offset any penalties incurred by sales of more thirsty V8-powered vehicles.

2. GM now means Government Motors; and in relation with #1 mentioned above, the government is NOT going to offer something that directly contradicts with their legislation.

Quoting Cpd (Reply 7):
But much less than what we have in GM's Australian lineup (445hp V8 / 6 speed auto).

My guess is that Australia has no CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) equivalent that forces auto manufacturers into maintaining a certain fuel economy range fleetwide. That's why they can offer a more powerful engine down under. Either that or the vehicles that offer such are NOT as widely produced/sold compared to samller vehicles.

Outside of Corvettes, Shelby Mustangs and the top-powered Camaros, Chargers and Challengers; there are either very few or no large mass-produced sedans powered with such potent engines among US manufacturers. Such vehicles (even the above pony and muscle cars) would be hit with Gas Guzzler taxes.

As far as the XTS is concerned, it is too small and too narrow to be a flagship model. Even the awful-looking Lincoln MKS has a longer wheelbase than the XTS.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

Flighty

Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:15 pm

I dunno guys, the new Cadillac looks pretty good to me.

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 14):
I much rather drive our DTS that can just plow thru the same conditions that bog the fleetwood down.

You should not drive a classic LT1 Fleetwood in the snow anyway!  hissyfit 

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 11):
And a V6? Seriously?

These days, a V6 is good for over 350 horsepower. It's more powerful than muscle cars. Check out the Ford line. They will be doing the exact same thing over at Ford/Lincoln.

As a country, we decided to do something about energy security. Part of that is increasing the fuel mileage of cars sold in the USA. Of course, there is still a truck loophole IIRC.

Cadet57

Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:49 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 16):
You should not drive a classic LT1 Fleetwood in the snow anyway!

Do you have 70k for a new hearse? We dont  . Besides, it only has 50k miles, mostly at low speed  biggrin . Speaking of LT-1's, I had a Roadmaster estate that decided it had enough New England winters and its frame rotted out. I'll miss that car. On the hunt for a replacement thou.

[Edited 2010-01-15 11:49:36]

Flighty

Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:32 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 17):
Speaking of LT-1's, I had a Roadmaster estate that decided it had enough New England winters and its frame rotted out. I'll miss that car. On the hunt for a replacement thou.

Oh fabulous, those were pretty special. Some had the Vista glass roof in back! Yours rusted out, huh?

Take care of that hearse, sounds like a beaut.

Cadet57

Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:08 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 18):
Some had the Vista glass roof in back!

Ours did  crying . That car was great. 5.7L V8, still got 25mpg highway. they don't build em like that anymore.

Superfly

Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:19 pm

Another disappointment from GM.
My guess is that their will be a V8 option within a few years. Just as the CTS received one a few years after it's release.
For a full-size, the V8 should be standard.
Bring back the Concorde

Dreadnought

Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:33 pm

The car looks good in a stately kind of way, but I think that Cadillac needed to widen the Epsilon platform to make this truly a Cadillac, and not just a longer version of the LaCrosse. Although the all-wheel drive should be excellent in the snow and rain. Thoughts, motorheads?

GM's styling department - particularly the one working for Cadillac, needs to taken out and shot.

Cadillac is supposed to be the flagship brand. The brand that is supposed to attract sophisticated (and wealthy) customers away from BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, and so forth. There is far too much chrome. Every time I walk by a Caddy I am shocked at the big shiny emblems the size of dinner plates. And the car was designed using only a ruler... Yuck.

It's a pity, because in the past few years, Cadillac appears to have been making some cars that mechanically appear to be quite impressive.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

asuflyer05

Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:46 am

I think it looks pretty hot. It's a shame that it is front wheel drive but I guess the target audience doesn't care and frankly I think much of the FWD vs. RWD argument is a little overplayed.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 21):
Cadillac is supposed to be the flagship brand. The brand that is supposed to attract sophisticated (and wealthy) customers away from BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, and so forth.

BMW and MB designs are cold and boring. The new Jag XF is pretty hot though.

Dreadnought

Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:02 am

Quoting Asuflyer05 (Reply 22):
BMW and MB designs are cold and boring. The new Jag XF is pretty hot though.

I can understand that. But some people like it - they both have their traditions. My point is that a luxury car should have good styling and impeccable engineering. For years, Cadillac had good styling, but the engineering was at the same level as a cheap Chevrolet. Now that they've spent some money on engineers, their styling has gone to hell.

BTW, I agree on the new Jags. Beautiful cars.

Quoting Asuflyer05 (Reply 22):
I think much of the FWD vs. RWD argument is a little overplayed.

FWD feels very different from RWD. You can instantly tell the difference, and FWD just feels... wrong. It's unbalanced. Combined with the knowledge that the only reason most cars are FWD is that they are cheap to build, means that it does not belong in a luxury car.

stasisLAX

Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:13 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 15):
. Mass-produced cars in the U.S. are subject to CAFE standards and have been since 1978. Thanks to the Democrat-controlled Congress and Bush for stupidly signing the legislation in 2007 and Obama (no surprise) strengthening it last year; the CAFE standards will be drastically increasing starting in 2012. A large, V8-powered vehicle will hinder Cadillac from either meeting that standard or keep out of the being fined by the government line. There's no vehicle in Cadillac's current line-up that generates higher than CAFE ratings to offset any penalties incurred by sales of more thirsty V8-powered vehicles.

The Federal Government's Corporate Average Fuel Economy will increase by five percent each year, building on the 2011 standard, until we reach 2016. This means an Industry standard of 35.5 mpg by 2016, an average increase of eight mpg per vehicle from 2009 fuel economy levels. Thus, we need to get used to V6 (perhaps turbocharged ) power in luxury and large cars, and 4 cylinder motors in other cars, and a lot more hybrid systems (and even some clean-burn diesels) under the hood. One good thing - large SUVs will never make a comeback because of this increase in CAFE standards.

[Edited 2010-01-15 17:16:20 by stasisLAX]

[Edited 2010-01-15 17:16:57 by stasisLAX]
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

cpd

Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:13 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 15):
My guess is that Australia has no CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) equivalent that forces auto manufacturers into maintaining a certain fuel economy range fleetwide.

And yet, you can get 7.75L/100km (approx. 30.4mpg) out of a 445hp 6.2L V8. And when we do a 3.0L V6 large car, it does 37mpg. The average, just between those two large "gas guzzlers" is 34mpg - or almost in line with the CAFE requirement.

Factor in Holden Astra CDTi (diesel) with 48mpg and Cruze (42mpg) and the average is now 39.6mpg - meaning the 2016 CAFE rules are surpassed by quite a margin. So even though we don't have the CAFE regulations to worry about - we do in fact match or surpass them.

[Edited 2010-01-15 17:19:27 by cpd]

Cadet57

Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:18 am

Quoting Cpd (Reply 25):
Factor in Holden Astra CDTi (diesel) with 48mpg and the average is now 38.5mpg - meaning the CAFE rules are surpassed. So even though we don't have the CAFE regulations to worry about - we do in fact match or surpass them.

Which is why I wish we could get your cars here. Not only do you people build a dam good lookin car, you make a dam fuel efficient car. However, are those mpg numbers US miles or imperial or however they call them outside the US?

cpd

Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:20 am

US MPG numbers. I'm not an imperialist.  Smile

Cadet57

Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:24 am

Quoting Cpd (Reply 27):
US MPG numbers. I'm not an imperialist.

Hell, then those numbers are even better. First car I want, Vauxhall VXR-8 Bathurst Edition  biggrin 

asuflyer05

Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:35 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 23):
FWD feels very different from RWD. You can instantly tell the difference, and FWD just feels... wrong. It's unbalanced. Combined with the knowledge that the only reason most cars are FWD is that they are cheap to build, means that it does not belong in a luxury car.

I agree with your perception of RWD vs. FWD. However, the target audience can't tell the difference. Performance enthusiasts aren't looking at overweight luxo barges. Look at Audi's success with the A4 and to a lesser extent the A6; Lexus and the ES and RX; Buick with the new LaCrosse and Acura's TL and TSX models. Personally I would rather drive a FWD Cadillac than a BMW with their clunky xDrive. If you are performance nut, chances are you won't be shopping a Cadillac showroom anyway unless it's for a new CTS-V.

zippyjet

Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:26 am

It's a nice looking ride. At least someone is desining a regular car. Latley, it seems fugly SUV's and Crossovers have been all the rage and in my opinion eyesores. I wish Cadillac luck with this new model and I hope the build quality and reliability garner high marks with Consumer Reports and JD Power to name a few. Hell, we the American people bought GM (Government Motors) whether we liked it or not.  rotfl  And that other car company we bailed out Chrysler is just a hot mess.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

BMI727

Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:54 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 17):
Speaking of LT-1's, I had a Roadmaster estate that decided it had enough New England winters and its frame rotted out.

My dad had a Roadmaster Limited Sedan (with the neon on the C pillar) and it was a pretty good car. Nice seats, but most of the luxo-bits went bad as it aged.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 20):
For a full-size, the V8 should be standard

checkmark  If you are serious about building a luxury car to compete with the S-Class or A8, you stop worrying about fuel economy and come up with something great. Any sort of hybrid should be an afterthought, though diesel is acceptable.

Quoting Asuflyer05 (Reply 29):
However, the target audience can't tell the difference.

And that is part of the problem, they need to change the target demographic lest they not have one left. The Escalade and CTS started this a bit, but this is a setback.

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 24):
Corporate Average Fuel Economy

banghead 

zippyjet

Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:17 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 31):
And that is part of the problem, they need to change the target demographic lest they not have one left. The Escalade and CTS started this a bit, but this is a setback.

At least their advertising and marketing has improved. I remember no too long ago, Cadillac used an outdated song from the 50's or earlier called Making Whoopie! And they showed the Caddy crest with the little duckies coming off. It seemed then that Caddy was going after elderly Republican suburban white males. Caddy should also make available a De Ville based land yacht that has a thundering V8. This model could also be used for their limousine, and herses. Now, that meat wagons are truck based. Caddy usually makes a better looking limo than Lincoln. That Town Car limo is so fugly and out of date. For Caddy bring back the Eldorado. Interesting how Lincoln, Caddy and to a lesser extent Buick are abandoning their old venerable names. This game of naming their cars XYZ, SOB, YU2 etc. is confusing to say the least.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

cpd

Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:22 am

If you are serious about building a luxury car to compete with the S-Class or A8, you stop worrying about fuel economy and come up with something great. Any sort of hybrid should be an afterthought, though diesel is acceptable.

They aren't allowed to do that anymore, right? Government Motors must build boring, bland cars.

Perhaps they can buy the license to build these:

Stick a Cadillac grill on the front of it, and you have the perfect machine to sort out the CAFE requirements. Of course, the company will die, but those pesky CAFE requirements won't be a problem.

[Edited 2010-01-15 21:23:47 by cpd]

BMI727

Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:32 am

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 32):
At least their advertising and marketing has improved.

It isn't like it used to be, but it is still bad. It seems that all Cadillac drivers either wear their pants at their armpits or their knees. Not a lot of in between there.

Quoting Cpd (Reply 33):
They aren't allowed to do that anymore, right?

Maybe not. I suppose that also means that they can't make a profit either.

cpd

Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:55 am

That's the problem. The shackles have to come off to allow the big-name brands to build competitive cars.

It's never going to work when other countries don't bother with these sorts of mandatory requirements (instead, consumer preferences force it) so that the companies are free to build economical cars to meet market demand, but can build the big engined large cars when needed.

BMI727

Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:00 am

Quoting Cpd (Reply 35):
The shackles have to come off to allow the big-name brands to build competitive cars.

The got a new lease on life from the government, but the car industry is a product based business, and their products haven't changed.

Quoting Cpd (Reply 35):
(instead, consumer preferences force it)

Some people apparently think that their countrymen are too stupid to buy a car that suits them or to buy a house they can actually afford.

Quoting Cpd (Reply 35):
so that the companies are free to build economical cars to meet market demand,

And in Cadillac's segment of the market, efficiency is usually secondary.

cpd

Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:07 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 36):
efficiency is usually secondary.

You'd be surprised - a lot of Audi A8s in Sydney are A8L 3.0L TDI and A8 4.2L TDI, same with the A6 and A4. Don't see the non-diesel ones often.

But the problem is that the big luxury cars should be excluded from the CAFE requirements - they are a small portion of the market.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 36):
but the car industry is a product based business, and their products haven't changed.

The right people aren't in power in those companies. GM has some great designers - but is burdened with conservative management.

stasisLAX

Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:11 am

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 30):
And that other car company we bailed out Chrysler is just a hot mess.

Unless we can get the Italians (FIAT) to bankroll production of this model:

Big version: Width: 808 Height: 319 File size: 31kb
2011 Chrysler 200C sedan

This is the proposed 2011 Chrysler 200C RWD sport sedan, meant to replace the thoroughly awful Chrysler Sebring and almost as awful Dodge Avenger.

BMI727

Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 am

Quoting Cpd (Reply 37):
You'd be surprised - a lot of Audi A8s in Sydney are A8L 3.0L TDI and A8 4.2L TDI, same with the A6 and A4. Don't see the non-diesel ones often

Diesel doesn't really give up a whole lot to get their efficiency, unlike other alternative fuels (diesel is really only alternative in America) which may have huge roadblocks. A diesel powered luxury sedan would be nice, and would fit with Cadillac's style, if they can do it right. I doubt that they can.

Quoting Cpd (Reply 37):
they are a small portion of the market.

But potentially very profitable.

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 38):
This is the proposed 2011 Chrysler 200C RWD sport sedan, meant to replace the thoroughly awful Chrysler Sebring and almost as awful Dodge Avenger.

Now that is a car that needs to get built. But, if they build it, will we have to get the Italian Car Swear Jar?

asuflyer05

Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:22 pm

I saw that car at an auto show, I want to say it was Detroit last year. It is absolutely awesome in person. They really need to build it.

Dreadnought

Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:22 pm

I think the chrome wheels are God-awful, but otherwise I think that's a good looking car.

PHLBOS

Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:03 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 41):
I think the chrome wheels are God-awful, but otherwise I think that's a good looking car.

Most vehicles usually have more than one type of styled wheel or wheelcovers available; so disliking a vehicle just because of its wheels is usually a non-issue.

Nice looking car, but WILL it get production approval... espeically if it's still going to be RWD?
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

Revelation

Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 14):
Where I work we have a 96 fleetwood hearse that is awful in the snow when there is no weight on the back tires.

Yeah, but in its traditional use, isn't there always weight over the back wheels?

Well, at least for the way out to the grave...

Quoting Flighty (Reply 16):
You should not drive a classic LT1 Fleetwood in the snow anyway!

Time waits for no man....
Inspiration, move me brightly!

Superfly

Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:32 pm

If you are serious about building a luxury car to compete with the S-Class or A8, you stop worrying about fuel economy and come up with something great. Any sort of hybrid should be an afterthought, though diesel is acceptable.

Not sure if government ownership has something to do with that.

And that is part of the problem, they need to change the target demographic lest they not have one left.

Excellent point!
I'll talk more about that later.
Bring back the Concorde

Ken777

Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:50 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 34):
It seems that all Cadillac drivers either wear their pants at their armpits or their knees.

LOL!

I wear mine about halfway between the top and the bottom of the scar from prostate surgery.  Smile

When looking to Australia for ideas in the auto sector my mind keeps giong back to the Ford and Holden taxis I used to ride in. Combo petrol/gas (LPG) and it seemed to work like a dream. One taxi driver showed me how it switched between the two fuels on the fly - couldn't tell the difference.

In terms of today there is plenty of natural gas available for use in cars. All that is needed is the auto companies getting together on a core design and the government adding in it's support. Might be an easy way to significantly cut the cost of fuel for driving IF it handled intelligently.

stasisLAX

Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:01 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 42):
Nice looking car, but WILL it get production approval... espeically if it's still going to be RWD?

RWD is what is planned - the 200C is based on a shortened 300/Charger platform, although no V-8 will be offered. However, the newly designed "Phoenix" V6 will be available. As long as Chrysler/FIAT doesn't put the cursed, unreliable 2.7L V6 they currently make, it should be a good car.

Superfly

Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:03 am

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 46):
However, the newly designed "Phoenix" V6 will be available. As long as Chrysler/FIAT doesn't put the cursed, unreliable 2.7L V6 they currently make, it should be a good car.

I'd like to see an up-market Chrysler version of the Dodge Challenger convertible and call it the Lebaron.  yes 
Bring back the Concorde

Dreadnought

Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:18 am

Let me guess... You'll want wood paneling and center mounted spare, right?   

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...6000-2416999/2416491_2115_full.jpg

PS: Are we not allowed to display pictures anymore?

[Edited 2010-01-16 19:26:19]

Superfly

Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:44 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 48):
Let me guess... You'll want wood paneling and center mounted spare, right?

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...l.jpg

Wood grain side panels, yes!
Spare tire mounted on the rear, NO!
That spare tire looks tacky.

Imagine a Chrysler version of the current Challenger with more wood grain in chrome on the dash, loose cushion button down Corinthian leather seats, Chrysler grille and hood ornament.
Then drop in the 6.1 SRT-8 HEMI, then add multi-valve Maserati heads.
You would have one fast super luxury sport convertible.
Chrysler attempted this with the 1989-90 TC (by Maserati).
The problem was the lousy 2.2 turbo 4 cylinder.
Bring back the Concorde