OA260
Topic Author

UK Terror Threat Level Raised To 'Severe'

Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:17 pm

The terror threat level in the UK has been raised from "substantial" to "severe", meaning an attack is "highly likely".

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-..._Raised_To_Severe_From_Substantial

-

Quite worrying really .

thegreatRDU

RE: UK Terror Threat Level Raised To 'Severe'

Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:11 am

Haha the British have a Terror level meter also?

Quoting OA260 (Thread starter):
Quite worrying really .

Relax....the whole thing is political...especially here in the US...that's what it was created for...
Our Returning Champion

ManuCH
Crew

Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:44 am

I've always wondered what the general public should care about threat levels. As an individual person there's nothing I can do any different if I know the thread is "severe" - it's not that I can "duck and hide" when I see someone who looks like a terrorist.

So yes, I think this whole thing is political. Otherwise keep it secret just like all other national security related stuff.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

AirPacific747

Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:12 am

Quoting ThegreatRDU (Reply 1):
Relax....the whole thing is political...especially here in the US...that's what it was created for...

Yeah I don't see why we should be more afraid today than we were yesterday.

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 2):
I've always wondered what the general public should care about threat levels. As an individual person there's nothing I can do any different if I know the thread is "severe" - it's not that I can "duck and hide" when I see someone who looks like a terrorist.

So have I. It's useless information for anyone else than the government.

fca767

Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:01 pm

Quoting ThegreatRDU (Reply 1):
Haha the British have a Terror level meter also?

LOL! I never even noticed them Drop the Level from back in July...so what difference does it make...I hate News reporters, especially the miserable ones here, anything from a flake of snow is a disaster to them...and then when it's sunny...oh no it's sunny stay inside

MoltenRock

Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:26 pm

Quoting OA260 (Thread starter):

The terror threat level in the UK has been raised from "substantial" to "severe", meaning an attack is "highly likely".

LOL! This just in........ terrorists are most likely to strike on days ending in the letter "Y".

I'm sorry, but could the US/UK and others that traffic in this stupidity simplify it a bit? I mean seriously, what's the difference between "orange" and "blue"? Or "terra cotta" and "desert sand"? Or "morning dew" and "indigo moon"? A decent Pottery Barn catalog description?

I fly all the time, and I don't know what the difference is. I mean does code orange say you get to grab my junk and squeeze it a couple of times to see if it responds? Or is that code purple? Does code red mean I have to drop trousers and submit to a rectal exam?

So if I don't know what the changes in security levels mean as a regular frequent flier, isn't this just broadcasting to the "terrorists" that if they haven't put their exploding underwear and nuclear Nikes on a plane by then, they need to wait a week or two until the "threat level" goes back down? Seem really stupid!

fca767

Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:33 pm

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 5):
So if I don't know what the changes in security levels mean as a regular frequent flier, isn't this just broadcasting to the "terrorists" that if they haven't put their exploding underwear and nuclear Nikes on a plane by then, they need to wait a week or two until the "threat level" goes back down? Seem really stupid!

Yes it is a bit stupid...just like paying the taliban to come over to the UK side, all is stupid...

MadameConcorde

Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:06 pm

I would say don't be afraid. Just be cautious, that's all.
There have been several of these "red alerts" in many countries with nothing happening.
It is the politicians and terrorist's win when people get into their fear mongering schemes.  Yeah sure
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

AirPacific747

Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:17 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 7):
I would say don't be afraid. Just be cautious, that's all.

I would say don't even bother being cautious. The risk of dieing in a traffic accident is many times higher.

ltbewr

Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:42 pm

There are several reasons the threat level may have been raised.

There is going to be soon (next week?) a major meeting as to Afganistan, including Mr. Karzi and other leaders of that country. Their presence and that of other important political leaders or minisisters could be a major target needing more police and other security forces at higher levels.

The recent 'underpants bomber' who flew from AMS. The UK, in particular London airports have been the departure or arrivial point of several other past terror attacks or attempts. This raising of the levels will mean higher levels of scrutany in departure and arrivial security procedures of many more at UK and other airports to keep of flights or entering the country potential terrorists. That means people will have to allocate more time for screening and patience as to entering the country.

It may allow much more intrusive and intense watching as well as pre-emptive police and intellengence actions of potential terror groups and individuals inside the UK. The UK has a significant number of anti-Western Islamic clerics who are attracting followers who could be recruited to carry out terror acts.

There may be 'chatter' collected by UK and other countries' (especially the USA) intellegance forces suggesting possible attacks may occur. As much as possible has to be done to prevent them.

It also make the general public more aware of any signs of potential terror acts and actors, as well as make people aware that many public places will be facing more security presence.

Yes, many of us think these 'threat levels' are nonsese, but if something were to happen and they were not raised, then we might call for removal of political leaders. In the UK system, that could mean a vote of no confidence in the PM, an election and the Labor party out of power. No politican wants to lose their job so better to make people be on edge than lose their position.

thegreatRDU

Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:49 pm

Judging by what most people are posting we can agree this is a game created by politicians to score political points...
Our Returning Champion