TheCommodore
Topic Author

Obama's Aunt Fights Deportation?

Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:56 am

http://www.smh.com.au/world/obamas-a...hts-deportation-20100205-nhjo.html

I've haven't heard anything about this until now.

News takes awhile to reach us here Down Under !!

Should she be allowed to stay or must she go ??
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

gatorfan

RE: Obama's Aunt Fights Deportation?

Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:05 am

This is a difficult situation. She shouldn't be rewarded for doing something illegal but her argument is strongest now that her nephew is POTUS. I'd deport her but try to find a friendly country to give her asylum.

Dreadnought

Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:15 am

Quoting TheCommodore (Thread starter):

She entered illegally and flouted the law for years. Put her on the first plane to Kenya.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

Mir

Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:22 am

Quoting TheCommodore (Thread starter):

That's for the court to decide. Whatever the court rules, it should be respected.

Quoting GatorFan (Reply 1):
I'd deport her but try to find a friendly country to give her asylum.

I wouldn't. Either her case for asylum is strong and she stays, or it isn't and she has to go. We shouldn't give her any extra aid just because she's got a famous relative.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

captaink

Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:22 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):

I wouldn't. Either her case for asylum is strong and she stays, or it isn't and she has to go. We shouldn't give her any extra aid just because she's got a famous relative.

The US grants asylum to many people even ones who may have entered the country illegally. So I agree with you, if she has a strong enough case, then she will get it, if not well no. I think it can be seen that the President isn't asking for any favours.
There is something special about planes....

flanker

Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:33 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 2):
She entered illegally and flouted the law for years. Put her on the first plane to Kenya.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

LOT767-300ER

Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:40 am

Make her feel like a federal criminal that she is. No one gets my respect for entering the US illegally, unless their life is in immediate danger but thats a totally different ball game.

Pyrex

Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:54 am

I think the most interesting thing about this is that she has been living in public housing in Boston for the past years even though she was in the country illegally. Makes you wonder what the criteria are to have Mayor Menino give you free room and board.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Mir

Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:15 am

Quoting Captaink (Reply 4):
The US grants asylum to many people even ones who may have entered the country illegally.

Which I don't mind, since if you're going to be given asylum, the conditions in your home country are generally sufficiently bad that it would be a reasonable course of action to do anything possible to get out.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Dreadnought

Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:30 am

Quoting Captaink (Reply 4):

The US grants asylum to many people even ones who may have entered the country illegally.

She is claiming political asylum, which is another abuse. You are supposed to ask for political asylum if you fear persecution or arrest if you return home because of your political opinions. She's simply basing her request on the fact that Kenya has a lot of tribal violence. She does not face any difficulties with the authorities there. You can't ask for political asylum because your home country sucks in whatever way. If you want to immigrate because of that, you are supposed to stand in line with everyone else.

Elite

Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:19 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 9):
She does not face any difficulties with the authorities there.

I'm sure that she'll be treated very, very well, if she returns to Kenya. If she is granted political asylum that will be a disrespect to those who really do suffer from fear of persecution if they return to their native country.

cws818

Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:50 am

She is claiming political asylum, which is another abuse. You are supposed to ask for political asylum if you fear persecution or arrest if you return home because of your political opinions. She's simply basing her request on the fact that Kenya has a lot of tribal violence.

Are you actually claiming that in many countries politics are not determined, or even influenced, by tribal membership? If so, your assertion is either extremely ignorant or entirely influenced by your opinions on domestic American politics. In either scenario, you can do better.
volgende halte...Station Hollands Spoor

Dreadnought

Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:07 pm

Quoting cws818 (Reply 11):
Are you actually claiming that in many countries politics are not determined, or even influenced, by tribal membership?

I never said that and you know it. Are you implying that anyone from a country dominated by tribal politics should be eligible for political asylum? Political asylum is specific: If you go home you have a real expectation that you will be arrested or otherwise attacked. Just being from a primitive country is not enough.

Flighty

Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:22 pm

Why must Kenya be deprived of their fine citizen? It seems totally unfair that Kenya not have possession of this wonderful woman.

You can't ask for political asylum because your home country sucks in whatever way.

Kenya doesn't suck. It is wonderful. Soon, they will be reunited with their wonderful citizen, as the law requires.  

kc135topboom

Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:42 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 7):
Makes you wonder what the criteria are to have Mayor Menino give you free room and board.

Democrat Mayor, in a heavy Democrat state and city, as well as a Democrat POTUS?

Quoting Flighty (Reply 13):
Why must Kenya be deprived of their fine citizen? It seems totally unfair that Kenya not have possession of this wonderful woman.

You hit the nail on the head, Flighty. Here is her picture..............

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/reg...sed_doors/srvc=home&position=5

flanker

Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:17 pm

Wait, if she has been told to leave once and hasn't, why do they need another hearing? Why dont they pack her bags for her and ship her on her marry way? Political asylum from Kenya? Cmon..
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

N1120A

Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:34 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):
We shouldn't give her any extra aid just because she's got a famous relative.

We give extra aid (like making them citizens by Act of Congress) to athletes who we want to compete in the Olympics. I'm SURE those screaming for her deportation were fine with that little short-cut for Tanith Belbin.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

RussianJet

Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:26 pm

Absolutely right.

If her claim is denied, and barring truly exceptional circumstances any claim for asylum lodged two years after arriving in the country should be, then she should certainly be removed from the US.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

LTU932

Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:51 pm

Somebody tell me why she applied for political asylum? I tried to search for something, but all I find is just tribal issues, for which I can't find anything that would suggest her being persecuted because of the tribe she comes from. Anyway, if her request for political asylum was previously denied, then I'm sorry but she has to go.

If she was smart, then she should have contacted her nephew before moving to the US in 2000, so he could try to help her with a possible request for permanent residency in the US. Even if she's the Aunt of the President of the United States, she does NOT deserve preferential treatment.

N1120A

Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:20 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 18):
Even if she's the Aunt of the President of the United States, she does NOT deserve preferential treatment.

The reality is that the President can pardon her of any and all crimes she may have committed and can certainly order the Department of State to issue her a visa if he wants.

LOT767-300ER

Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:26 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 19):
The reality is that the President can pardon her of any and all crimes she may have committed and can certainly order the Department of State to issue her a visa if he wants.

The reality of that is that would create manure of epic proportions.

LTU932

Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:27 pm

True, I'm aware of that. But nevertheless, he cannot, and must not give a relative preferential treatment. And yes, I also know about Presidents giving, or being suspected of giving relatives preferential treatment in certain things (e.g. the Roger Clinton case, where his brother Bill pardoned him just before leaving office in 2001).

N1120A

Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:31 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 21):
But nevertheless, he cannot, and must not give a relative preferential treatment.

He can.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 21):
And yes, I also know about Presidents giving, or being suspected of giving relatives preferential treatment in certain things (e.g. the Roger Clinton case, where his brother Bill pardoned him just before leaving office in 2001).

Not to mention political allies, like Gerald Ford with Richard Nixon.

Springbok747

Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:32 pm

Wait..if she is related to Obama..then can't he sponsor her or something to become a resident of the US? Thats the way it works here..you should see the kind of people who become 'citizens' just because their aunt/uncle/cousin/some distant family member is here. Or..is the immigration system different in the US? I'm sure if she came here she would be granted asylum straight away.
אני תומך בישראל

LTU932

Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:39 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 22):
He can.

I didn't mean cannot in the sense that he can't do it because of the law. I mean cannot in the sense of doing the right thing and staying neutral in this matter.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 22):
Not to mention political allies, like Gerald Ford with Richard Nixon.

Yes, I forgot about that example.

Maverick623

Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:45 am

She entered illegally and flouted the law for years.

She entered illegally and claimed asylum. I'd be ok with just that, but after being refused it, she just stayed. That, I have a problem with.

If she really was afraid for herself due to tribal violence, Obama would've taken care of this back in 2004, when she first applied.

If she was smart, then she should have contacted her nephew before moving to the US in 2000, so he could try to help her with a possible request for permanent residency in the US.

Senators routinely are contacted by various parties requesting some kind of sponsorship, and it has become a de facto part of their job. (I don't know if it's actually codified in law, however).

The reality is that the President can pardon her of any and all crimes she may have committed

Which he most likely will.

and can certainly order the Department of State to issue her a visa if he wants.

Which I can guarantee you he does not, unless her life was actually put in danger.

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 23):
Wait..if she is related to Obama..then can't he sponsor her or something to become a resident of the US?

Yes he can. And that he didn't when he was a Senator speaks volumes.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

kc135topboom

Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Somebody tell me why she applied for political asylum? I tried to search for something, but all I find is just tribal issues, for which I can't find anything that would suggest her being persecuted because of the tribe she comes from. Anyway, if her request for political asylum was previously denied, then I'm sorry but she has to go.

She has already been denied once by the courts, and ignored that order. Also, the President has a half brother who still lives in Kenya, he is very poor and has not enjoyed any benefit, or help, from his more famous brother.

Even if she's the Aunt of the President of the United States, she does NOT deserve preferential treatment.

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 20):
The reality of that is that would create manure of epic proportions.
Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 25):
The reality is that the President can pardon her of any and all crimes she may have committed

This will be a political football for Obama if he does that, the hispanic population (that is here illegally) will then demand the same treatment.

RussianJet

Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:57 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 25):

On what do you base such an assertion?

LTU932

Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:41 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 26):
She has already been denied once by the courts, and ignored that order.

That much I know, but the question is still why the hell she applied for political asylum in the first place? I do know that her application occured two years before Obama became a US senator.

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 26):
This will be a political football for Obama if he does that, the hispanic population (that is here illegally) will then demand the same treatment.

Indeed. If he does something to allow his aunt to stay, then he will have opened a can of worms that will heat up the whole discussion on illegal immigrants (especially in regards to illegal immigrants from Cuba and Mexico) and how to deal with the subject politically.

cptkrell

Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:59 pm

Well, no decision in the case today via a Boston federal judge, and Zeituni Onyango will be allowed to stay in the US for another YEAR whilst we spend more time and money on the case. Snore...jack
all best; jack

Springbok747

Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:06 pm

Quoting cptkrell (Reply 29):
Well, no decision in the case today via a Boston federal judge, and Zeituni Onyango will be allowed to stay in the US for another YEAR whilst we spend more time and money on the case. Snore...jack

If she is going to be deported..then why not just deport her? Why prolong this case?
אני תומך בישראל

LTU932

Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:32 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 30):
If she is going to be deported..then why not just deport her? Why prolong this case?

I guess it may have to do with all the bureaucracy involved with this case.

RussianJet

Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:51 pm

Probably because she can appeal.

kc135topboom

Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:32 pm

Quoting cptkrell (Reply 29):
Well, no decision in the case today via a Boston federal judge, and Zeituni Onyango will be allowed to stay in the US for another YEAR whilst we spend more time and money on the case.
Quoting RussianJet (Reply 32):

Probably because she can appeal.

This would be a "no decision" order, it cannot be appealed until a decision, one way or the other, is made. All this does is kick the can down the road until after the Nov. elections and does not upset groups that support other illegal aliens here in the US. Obama gets to avoid a political football before the elections.

LOT767-300ER

Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 33):
All this does is kick the can down the road until after the Nov. elections and does not upset groups that support other illegal aliens here in the US.

AFL-CIO anyone?

kc135topboom

Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:17 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 34):
Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 33):
All this does is kick the can down the road until after the Nov. elections and does not upset groups that support other illegal aliens here in the US.

AFL-CIO anyone?

ipodguy7

Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:19 pm

Well, if we are deporting her, can we go ahead and get rid of the Kenyan-born president, Barrack Obama (or Barrack Osama), as well?
AA/DL/NW/CO/UA/US/B6/AC/FI/NY/EI/BD/BA/AF/AZ/DY/SK/QF/JQ

ATTart

Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:24 pm

Quoting ipodguy7 (Reply 36):
Well, if we are deporting her, can we go ahead and get rid of the Kenyan-born president, Barrack Obama (or Barrack Osama), as well?

What the, you are joking I hope?
Remember: When someone talks behind your back, it only means you're two steps ahead of them!

2707200X

Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:26 pm

Get over it, you lost. This is the very bottom of the barrel in conservative stupidity in America
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

Springbok747

Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:49 pm

Even though I am no fan of Obama, this statement is just ridiculous. He wasn't born in Kenya. He is not a muslim. What else..oh yeah, he has done wonders so far trying to improve the image of the US overseas. Staying in America you probably don't understand how many people had a negative view of your country under Dubya.

Many Americans have the odd attitude that it's good if the world hates you. It must mean you're really great.
They remind me of a ******, snobbish, insecure prom queen lying in her bed at night consoling herself that the reason people don't like her is because "everyone's jealous!"
אני תומך בישראל

kc135topboom

Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:02 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 39):
What else..oh yeah, he has done wonders so far trying to improve the image of the US overseas.

Oh yeah, the other nations now see how wonderful we are since Obama was elected.

They are so impressed they gave;

The Olympics to Chicago

Love him bowing to a Saudia King, the Emperior of Japan, and the Mayor of Tampa

Him controlling the Iranian nuclear threats

Russian reemergence as a major power

Him credit for saving global economics

The Nobel Peace Prize

The Copenhagan Accords

etc., etc., etc.

MD11Engineer

Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:09 pm

Letting the aunt stay per presidential decree is impossible, it not just being nepotism and imoral, but it would be an albatross for him during the next election.
If i were Obama, I would bite the bullet and pay the aunt a nice house and some reasonbable money to live on somewhere in Kenya FROM HIS OWN POCKET and convince her to leave the US without raising a fuzz.
The problem is that as per african culture (I´ve seen the same with my Sierra Leonian ex-wive´s family) the family in Kenya expects him to use his position to help them, either through money or by getting them into the US and giving them jobs.

Jan

[Edited 2010-02-07 12:10:25]
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

ATTart

Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:14 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 40):

Well, if you want to play this game ok.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjtfaLtLT7s
Remember: When someone talks behind your back, it only means you're two steps ahead of them!

2707200X

Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:31 pm

Love him bowing to a Saudia King,

Holding hands anyone... Bush, Nixon bows to Herohito (spelling)... Beauler.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

Springbok747

Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:54 pm

Oh yeah, the other nations now see how wonderful we are since Obama was elected.

Like I said before..

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 39):
Many Americans have the odd attitude that it's good if the world hates you. It must mean you're really great.

Public diplomacy was misunderstood and doomed from the get-go - regardless of who was overseeing it - under the Bush administration foreign policy. No wonder Anti-Americanism was so high under the Bush Administration. At least Obama is trying to do something about it.

Love him bowing to a Saudia King, the Emperior of Japan, and the Mayor of Tampa

So what if he bowed to these people? Its a sign of respect..that he is not being arrogant. And even Bush was walking hand-in-hand with the Saudi King BTW..

Him controlling the Iranian nuclear threats

So what is the solution? Go to war with Iran? Sort out the mess in Iraq and Afghanistan first.
אני תומך בישראל

LOT767-300ER

Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:53 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 41):
The problem is that as per african culture (I´ve seen the same with my Sierra Leonian ex-wive´s family) the family in Kenya expects him to use his position to help them, either through money or by getting them into the US and giving them jobs.

Is that why she is your ex-wife?   

MD11Engineer

Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:07 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 47):
Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 41):

Is that why she is your ex-wife?

One reason of many.

Jan  

LOT767-300ER

Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:19 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 49):

One reason of many.

Well, at least you are being honest   

Theres a Serbian guy I used to work with here 6 years and he went back to Serbia for the summer to marry this chick who paid him $15k to get a US passport. I just talked with him last week and come to find out they fell in love and are still together and married. Ironic.

On the other side my friends dad in high school married a Sri Lankan woman within 5 weeks of meeting her. Completely fell in love, but of course he didnt check the whole package out. All was good until she started cooking in this house. He said it was so bad he had to leave everytime she did so because of the "aroma" (thats putting it very friendly). He asked her to stop or change but she wouldnt so he actually divorced her over cooking.    Not that I blame him because I remember I went over there once during one of those "cookouts" I thought I was going to faint even before I entered through the door.

L410Turbolet

Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:35 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 50):
I just talked with him last week and come to find out they fell in love and are still together and married. Ironic.

Did she get a refund  

MD11Engineer

Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:43 am

For me the biggest reason was that she was lazy and a freeloader on the German social welfare system (and later on me, she had the opinion of herself that a wife was something like a status symbol and that a man should be able to "afford"' her by providing her with cash for all the goodies she had a whim for. At one time she told me that nobody could force her to work, but that she could force me and the social services to pay for her through court action. For myself, I found the trips to the social welfare office highly embarrasing, especially sinced I knew that she was well able to work, but as a husband I had to be involved).
Additionally she turned from a moderate Muslim to a bible thumping Christian fundamentalist of the black Southern Baptist brand.

Since many years I now have a Filipina fiancee and no problems with her. She is an intelligent, educated, hardworking woman with no princess allures, who is successful in her profession, and she cooks yummy food! (even though I´m a German, by now I eat more rice than potatoes.   )

Jan