redflyer

Rep. John Murtha Dies

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:00 pm

Just breaking on CNN.

Didn't care for him as a politician, but given his years of service to his country as a Marine, I salute him. RIP.
My other home is in the sky inside my Piper Cherokee 180.

Airport

RE: Rep. John Murtha Dies

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:01 pm

Quoting RedFlyer (Thread starter):
Didn't care for him as a politician, but given his years of service to his country as a Marine, I salute him. RIP.

Agreed.

May he rest in peace.

Dreadnought

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:11 pm

My sympathies to his family and friends. I shall say no more.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - W. Churchill

LTU932

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:20 pm

Isn't that the guy who, despite being a former Marine, called other fellow Marines cold blooded murderers after some masacre in Iraq? And isn't this the guy who, as shown in this video, wanted to circumvent a congressional vote to push through whatever it is he wants passed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywgUCdefSW8
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

cptkrell

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:31 pm

Good go away. Don't wish death on even worst enemies...but, good go away anyways. Same w/ Ted Kennedy (whom I've never commented on before), but...good go away, too. My personal opinions only, of course. Regards...jack
all best; jack

AGM100

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:34 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 2):
I shall say no more.

Roger that ,.

RIP Mr. Murtha ... Wishing the best for the family .
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

Ken777

Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:45 pm

Sorry to hear the news, but the man did achieve a lot over 77 years.

Strong views on the military and, on average, the ranks are better off for his work. He never worried about ruffling brass feathers, but that might be a good thing.

He also had a reputation in the area of port - meaning he was very successful at pulling in money for projects for his district. Wish our Rep was as successful.

My sympathies to his family, friends and associates.

deltairlines

Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:48 pm

Quoting RedFlyer (Thread starter):

This. Respect the man for his years of military service. Don't respect the disregard he has for taxpayer money by wasting it on pork.

stasisLAX

Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:05 am

Awaiting the far-right wing comments, dancing on Murtha's grave in five, four, three, two, one.....

Actually, my family is from Altoona, PA and the people in Pennsylvania loved Murtha. As was mentioned, he brought home the bacon to western Pennsylvania - an area that is one of the most depressed areas in the entire country.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

Flighty

Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:14 am

Sorry to hear about his death. Glad to hear of his retirement!

Superfly

Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:19 am

R.I.P. John Murtha.

Thanks for you years of service.
Job well done.
Bring back the Concorde

falstaff

Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:27 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 10):
R.I.P. John Murtha.

Thanks for you years of service.
Job well done.

What will happen with his seat? Will it be left unfilled until the election or will somebody be appointed to it?
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

Moose135

Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:53 am

Quoting falstaff (Reply 11):
What will happen with his seat? Will it be left unfilled until the election or will somebody be appointed to it?

House seats need to be filled via election. Gov. Rendell has 10 days to decide whether to call a special election, or wait and hold the election as part of the scheduled May 18 primary elections.

RIP

[Edited 2010-02-08 18:53:57]
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

MoltenRock

Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:29 am

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 8):
Awaiting the far-right wing comments, dancing on Murtha's grave in five, four, three, two, one.....

Actually, my family is from Altoona, PA and the people in Pennsylvania loved Murtha. As was mentioned, he brought home the bacon to western Pennsylvania - an area that is one of the most depressed areas in the entire country.

You don't serve as long as Jack Murtha did without keeping his citizens happy.

I hope his family finds consolation and peace in this difficult time. Say what you want about Mr. Murtha's political views on what's best for America, he put his money where his mouth was, while serving his country with honor and heroism as he went to Vietnam a very unpopular war, and didn't shirk from his responsibilities or dodge the draft as far too many did.

Jack Murtha was a defender of the men and women actually putting their lives on the line by going to do the dirty, hard work so many try to dodge. He was one of vet's best ally and voice in matters concerning veterans. He also helped do what he could by bringing in much needed federal dollars to his district as he was elected to do.

It's always people who complain about earmarks and "pork" that it is never in their district. It's pretty easy to pontificate that a project is "pork" when that person has never been to the area in question, much less know anything about the project they dismiss as "pork".

Newark777

Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:33 am

Survived Vietnam, but dies from a nicked intestine. Damn.   
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

ual777

Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:57 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 3):
Isn't that the guy who, despite being a former Marine, called other fellow Marines cold blooded murderers after some masacre in Iraq? And isn't this the guy who, as shown in this video, wanted to circumvent a congressional vote to push through whatever it is he wants passed?

His comments on other Marines in Iraq was shameful...absolutely shameful. RIP you won't be missed.
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

L-188

Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:05 am

Not going to dance on his grave per say, but his passing is a greater good. My sympathies for his family.

In addition to his horrible comments of late about our troops in Iraq and the Stan. He is one of the people that is responsible for the lack of support that was given to Afghanistan in the wake of the soviet pull-out. That is why the taliban came to power and why we are in the fix we where in.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

PHLBOS

Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:14 pm

Quoting moose135 (Reply 12):
Gov. Rendell has 10 days to decide whether to call a special election, or wait and hold the election as part of the scheduled May 18 primary elections.

IMHO, Gov. Rendell will lilkely probably do the latter since all the House seats are up for grabs this November.

Either that or just let the seat stay vacant until a new Rep. is voted in this fall. Unlike the Senate, the loss of one seat doesn't exactly change the overall present make-up of the House.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

Ken777

Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:51 pm

Quoting UAL777 (Reply 15):
His comments on other Marines in Iraq was shameful...absolutely shameful. RIP you won't be missed.

I prefer someone who won't sweep shameful actions under the rug to those who would.

Murtha was a Marine, and one of those who believe that Once A Marine, Always A Marine. He was also a combat Marine and I'll give him credit for having the ability to identify unacceptable behavior. I'll give him more credit for speaking out about it.

It's like Tailhook, or any other military scandal.. No one is happy that the secret leaked out, but it allowed an ongoing mess to be cleaned up.

So is you're not going to miss those who won't sweep things like this under the rug who WOULD you miss.

EA772LR

Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:09 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 3):

Yeah that'd be him. Condolences to his family, but that's it. One less liar in D.C. as far I'm concerned.
We often judge others by their actions, but ourselves by our intentions.

dxing

Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:13 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 2):
My sympathies to his family and friends.

Quoting ken777 (Reply 6):
He also had a reputation in the area of port - meaning he was very successful at pulling in money for projects for his district.

Here I thought you were intoning he was a connoisseur of Portugese wine! But yes, John Murtha Johnstown-Cambria airport is one of the finest airports of its size serving the region of its size in the country.
http://www.flyjohnstownairport.com/about/index.htm

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 8):

You didn't have to wait that long for the lefties to use his death and record to blast away at the right!

Have to agree with the poster who said a nicked intestine is a pretty sad way to end a life. Wonder how much that will cost the doctor?

[Edited 2010-02-09 11:39:41]
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

kc135topboom

Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:50 am

Quoting falstaff (Reply 11):
Quoting moose135 (Reply 12):
House seats need to be filled via election. Gov. Rendell has 10 days to decide whether to call a special election, or wait and hold the election as part of the scheduled May 18 primary elections.

Can we start a pool to see which Republican candidate takes this "peoples seat"?

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 17):
Either that or just let the seat stay vacant until a new Rep. is voted in this fall. Unlike the Senate, the loss of one seat doesn't exactly change the overall present make-up of the House.

I don't think Gov. Rendell will do that. Remember, the House version of health care only passed by 220-218, and the stimulus bill only passed the House by 218-215.

Quoting ken777 (Reply 18):
I'll give him credit for having the ability to identify unacceptable behavior. I'll give him more credit for speaking out about it.

Why, he said they did it before the investigation was completed and charges brought against anyone. BTW, all those Marines were aquitted of all charges, but no apology from Mutha.

ual777

Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:59 am

I prefer someone who won't sweep shameful actions under the rug to those who would.

Murtha was a Marine, and one of those who believe that Once A Marine, Always A Marine. He was also a combat Marine and I'll give him credit for having the ability to identify unacceptable behavior. I'll give him more credit for speaking out about it.

It's like Tailhook, or any other military scandal.. No one is happy that the secret leaked out, but it allowed an ongoing mess to be cleaned up.

So is you're not going to miss those who won't sweep things like this under the rug who WOULD you miss.

All were aquitted. His behavior was not becoming of a Marine.

Ken777

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:55 am

Quoting UAL777 (Reply 22):
All were aquitted.

Ever hear of OJ? He was acquitted.

A court ruling of Guilty or Not Guilty does not always reflect reality.

His behavior was not becoming of a Marine.

Marines have a tradition of a wide range of behavior. From Outstanding to Unacceptable.

I'll leave it to Murtha, who was a combat Marine, to decide what his opinion is on acceptable Marine behavior. Just like, as someone who served in the Navy, I have no problem saying what I find acceptable and unacceptable in today's Navy.

baroque

Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:37 pm

All were aquitted. His behavior was not becoming of a Marine.

And in other news Dilawar has miraculously been restored to healt and is back to work as a taxi driver.

slider

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:06 pm

Quoting ken777 (Reply 23):
I'll leave it to Murtha, who was a combat Marine, to decide what his opinion is on acceptable Marine behavior.

Even though he wasn't there and didn't have the facts. Don't be so gullible just because the man was a Marine.

I for one respect and admire his service.

I think he was once an honorable man, who oevr the years of being a career politician, sold out and sold his soul to the machine. And it blinded him, sadly.

His life is a cautionary tale of the corruptible power of politics--ethics violations, dogged pork barrel politics, incendiary and unsupported accusations made on others, his own insults of his constituents as racist rednecks....

If it can happen to Murtha, anyone can fall into the trap.

ual777

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:16 pm

Quoting ken777 (Reply 23):

Ever hear of OJ? He was acquitted.

A court ruling of Guilty or Not Guilty does not always reflect reality.

Could you be any more partisan?

Marines have a tradition of a wide range of behavior. From Outstanding to Unacceptable.

I'll leave it to Murtha, who was a combat Marine, to decide what his opinion is on acceptable Marine behavior. Just like, as someone who served in the Navy, I have no problem saying what I find acceptable and unacceptable in today's Navy.

I served in the Corps and I find Murtha's behavior unacceptable and unbecoming of a Marine. It was disgusting frankly.

AGM100

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:29 pm

He was also a combat Marine

A S2 intelligence officer ? .... with 2 purple hearts a bronze star and a SV medal of valor.... in country less than a year ? . Not much on the web about his time in Viet Nam but he was a life long politician and was elected before rejoining the USMC during Viet Nam. I will be honest , I am sceptical .... sorry , I have just read too often about JR officers rotating through SV to get some fruit salad. The guy was wounded twice , rcvd the bronze star and valor in less than a year ? While serving as a command staff officer ? If anyone has more information post it up ... I am hoping to be wrong about it.

I will give him credit for joining the USMC in the 50's....

Rep. Murtha had every right to speak out about the Haditha Marine issue and to do what is right for the troops in the field. But ..BUT!... it was a transparent political hit job on the war ... his exercised ranting behaviour was not becoming a senior member of Congress much less a USMC Colonel . The war was going badly ... and he jumped on the opportunity to knife the administration in the back using his fellow Marines as fodder. I was immediately outraged at his comments .... even if he was right about his assessment ...he blew it out of proportion in order to please the code pink crowd .... good bye.

EA772LR

Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:45 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 25):
Even though he wasn't there and didn't have the facts. Don't be so gullible just because the man was a Marine.

I for one respect and admire his service.

I think he was once an honorable man, who oevr the years of being a career politician, sold out and sold his soul to the machine. And it blinded him, sadly.

His life is a cautionary tale of the corruptible power of politics--ethics violations, dogged pork barrel politics, incendiary and unsupported accusations made on others, his own insults of his constituents as racist rednecks....

If it can happen to Murtha, anyone can fall into the trap.

Very well said.

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 27):
A S2 intelligence officer ? .... with 2 purple hearts a bronze star and a SV medal of valor.... in country less than a year ? . Not much on the web about his time in Viet Nam but he was a life long politician and was elected before rejoining the USMC during Viet Nam. I will be honest , I am sceptical .... sorry , I have just read too often about JR officers rotating through SV to get some fruit salad. The guy was wounded twice , rcvd the bronze star and valor in less than a year ? While serving as a command staff officer ? If anyone has more information post it up ... I am hoping to be wrong about it.

I was not aware of this. Interesting indeed.

I will give him credit for joining the USMC in the 50's....

As will I.

Rep. Murtha had every right to speak out about the Haditha Marine issue and to do what is right for the troops in the field. But ..BUT!... it was a transparent political hit job on the war ... his exercised ranting behaviour was not becoming a senior member of Congress much less a USMC Colonel . The war was going badly ... and he jumped on the opportunity to knife the administration in the back using his fellow Marines as fodder. I was immediately outraged at his comments .... even if he was right about his assessment ...he blew it out of proportion in order to please the code pink crowd .... good bye.

Maybe he was right about his constituents being red necks...how else could his district continue to reelect such a piss poor politician.
We often judge others by their actions, but ourselves by our intentions.

Superfly

Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:44 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 25):
his own insults of his constituents as racist rednecks....

Well considering his district was the only district in the country which McCain in won '08 from Kerry in 2004, he may have a point. Murtha knows his district better than you or me.
Sometimes the truth hurts and hard to accept.
Bring back the Concorde

UH60FtRucker

Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:06 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 29):
Sometimes the truth hurts and hard to accept.

Oh ho hum. What a load of duplicitous horse dung. Your (and Murtha's) insulting generalization of 650,000 people, is pathetic. If Rep. José Serrano went out and said that his constituents (NY 16th) were nothing more than thugs, blackies and welfare-lifers, you would hit the roof!

The fact that you allow your political beliefs to uncut your integrity makes you no different than DXing, Caltech or OU812.   
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

Superfly

Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:16 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 30):
Your (and Murtha's) insulting generalization of 650,000 people

I never insulted anyone.
I am just pointing out something Congressman Murtha said about his own district. The 2008 election results backs up his claim.
Bring back the Concorde

Ken777

Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:18 am

Quoting UAL777 (Reply 26):
Could you be any more partisan?

Since I've voted both R & D over the years I don't consider myself overly partisan. Still have the RN key fob on my key chain that I bought at the Nixon Library - didn't really think he was that bad a dude - his aids were simply stupid and he tried to cover for them.

He was also in favor of improving family health plans ("socialized" medicine for sure!), but the Ds were so beaten down after the second election that they had to go after him instead of working with him on health care reform. Ironic, isn't it.

I'm OK with Bush I, but he was again failed by his staff. He was also attacked so much by the conservatives on his "read my lips" switch that the D's were handed the White House on a silver platter. Thank Rush & Friends for President Clinton serving in the White House.

Bush II seemed to be President while Cheney continued to be CEO. I'm most intolerant of their phuck ups.

Clinton's years were pretty good for my family and my business. Made a very good living during his years - my first criteria. Didn't mind the efforts for gays in the military, but felt he should have done that in the 2nd term.

Support health care reform, but we lived in Australia for 8 years and know it can be done better in terms of costs to those paying the premiums.

Obama looks good to me. He understands just how bad the health care situation is. He's highly intelligent, which is a huge relief after the potential risk of Palin in the White House under any circumstances. He knows what it is to be in the lower income groups and, I believe, knows what it takes to help people pull themselves up.

And he's appointed an outstanding head of the VA.

AND I don't know if OJ was/is a R or D. And does it matter?

Quoting UAL777 (Reply 26):
I served in the Corps and I find Murtha's behavior unacceptable and unbecoming of a Marine. It was disgusting frankly.

Your right to find Murtha's behavior unacceptable is equal to his right to find the behavior of other Marines nacceptable.

A S2 intelligence officer ? .... with 2 purple hearts a bronze star and a SV medal of valor.... in country less than a year ?

Just how long did it take to get 2 Purple Hearts in Vietnam? Or are you in favor of requiring minimum time requirements between each one?

ual777

Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:29 am

Quoting ken777 (Reply 32):

Your right to find Murtha's behavior unacceptable is equal to his right to find the behavior of other Marines nacceptable.

It is not. He condemned them without even knowing all the facts. It is reprehensible and goes against everything the Corps stands for.

STT757

Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:34 am

In 2005 the BRAC (Base Realignment and closure committee) decided to move the Marine Corps Reserve Units from Johnston (Murtha) Airport to McGuire AFB NJ, basically they're moving Marine Corps AH-1 and UH-1 helicopters and a support unit to McGuire AFB. In other words moving Marine Corps assets from the Democratic district of a former Marine to a Republican's District, I wonder if this really ticked him off and got him on the anti-war bandwagon.

But to be fair, it made absolutely no sense for those Units to be at Johnstown airport anyway, probably the only reason they were there in the first place was because of Murtha. They also have brand new facilities and a new apron at Johnstown they will be abandoning.

[Edited 2010-02-11 18:35:29]
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

AGM100

Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:59 pm

Quoting ken777 (Reply 32):
Just how long did it take to get 2 Purple Hearts in Vietnam? Or are you in favor of requiring minimum time requirements between each one?

Not long for many infantry men .... Ken , I am doing research on Col. Murtha .. I want to know his war record . Frankly I am not sure what a USMC S2 intelligence officer did in country in VN , but I will assume that they operated in the feild with the troops. I mean 2 purple hearts and the bronze start ? Murtha must bave been in the feild ...on patrol with his battalion and in major combat operations.

ltbewr

Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:40 pm

Some stories are comming out that his wife may be appointed or run for his post. I suspect this more to keep a Democrat in and a Republican out. I expect that the Pennsylvania and National Republicans will put up a fight over any such appointment or decision to run.

Rep. Murtha was a conterversial member as the discussions here and elsewhere have noted. He served for years in the Marines, with honor, and he had to get those medals for some good reason. He gained a lot of attention for his anti-Vietnam and leter anti-Iraq war critizism yet he visited our crippled soldiers in the Vet hospitals in the DC area, those injured in the Afgan/Iraq wars. He supported a lot of military programs but he also delivered a lot of pork, especially highway money, for his district. He probably represented a broad range of his constitutants and wasn't afraid to consider many of them 'rednecks' as probably some truth about it.

slider

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:01 pm

http://www.crewsmostcorrupt.org/you-dont-know-jack

Some inconvenient facts about the corruption of Murtha. It covers his whole family.

Appointing his wife would only add to that scandal and should be prevented fully.