us330

Olympic Hockey Tourney

Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:50 pm

Olympic Hockey tourney starts tmw (I know, women's started already, but it won't actually be a tournament until they hit the medal round, and even then, probably not until the gold medal game when the U.S. faces Canada).

Here are my picks, in descending order:
Norway--no chance in hell of medalling, unless nine teams magically disappear.
Belarus--Kostitsyn and Grabovski are out with injuries--good luck putting the puck in the net
Germany--Marco Sturm, Christian Ehrhoff, and a cast of nobodies (unless you count San Jose's backup goalie)
Latvia--Dinamo Riga + 3 NHLers just isn't going to cut it--however, the good news is that they won't have to worry about chemistry issues
Switzerland--The only thing that separates Switzerland from the bottom four is a goalie (Hiller) that could easily steal a game on his own. Otherwise, they and the other four have the same problem: no consistent offensive threat.
Slovakia--Lots of scoring potential/history-their issue is a lack of goaltending, and a core of past-their-prime players. Chara's probably the world's best defender, though.
Finland--Better goaltending than Slovakia with a similar core of past-their-prime players, like Koivu, Selanne, and Lehtinen. They'll be competitive, but they won't medal.
USA--A young up and coming team with plenty of firepower, but a seriously weak blueline. Ryan Miller is the best goalie in the tournament, and could steal several games. No pressure and no expectations makes them considerably dangerous and my darkhorse pick for at least a bronze medal. If Miller continues his outstanding play, they could easily wind up playing for gold.
Czech Republic--Jagr won't be much of a factor, but they are otherwise very strong at both offense and defense, and have a goalie, in Vokoun, used to standing on his head.
Sweden--the defending gold medalists have flown under the radar, surprisingly, icing a roster that is probably better than their 2006 squad. Lunquist is the second best goalie in this tournament, and they are stacked with offensive firepower and strong defense. They and USA are my two picks for teams most likely to spoil the much desired Canada-Russia final.
Canada--Top to bottom, they have the best roster in this tournament. Issues of chemistry, though, are always a concern, as is the fact that every move they make will be examined by all 33 million Canadians, and will end up taking its toll, which is why they will lose in the gold medal game
Russia--2nd best team this tournament (though the Swedes roster is arguably better top to bottom). Their defense is average, but that won't matter with the world class goaltending of either Nabokov or Bryzgalov to back them up. They will be motivated and hungry, and won't have to deal with the media hordes in the same way the Canadians will.

FighterPilot

RE: Olympic Hockey Tourney

Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:06 am

Gold for both Canadian Men and women!! 

Cal   
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

aviationmaster

Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:16 am

The Swiss team, with Hiller, Streit and co, will hopefully upset the Canadian team again, just like they did four years ago in Turin. But not before having beaten the Americans.  

LTU932

Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:23 am

I have absolutely no hope at all for the German Hockey Team. Something tells me that Uwe Krupp is the most responsible for the misery German international hockey is in right now. Just because he won the Stanley Cup as a player, doesn't mean that this makes him better than all other German hockey coaches.

Anyway, I believe the usual suspects will win the tournament (Russia, USA, Canada, Sweden, Finland, or Czech Republic).

A333TS

Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:35 am

Quoting FighterPilot (Reply 1):
Gold for both Canadian Men and women!!

yowza

Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:03 am

I'm in YVR right now. going to USA vs Switzerland tomorrow but of course backing the Canadians all the way.

YOWza

KBUF

Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:21 pm

Quoting FighterPilot (Reply 1):
Gold for both American Men and women!!

Fixed. 
"Starting today, the Buffalo Sabres' reason for existence will be to win a Stanley Cup."-Terry Pegula, February 22, 2011

BMI727

Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Just please don't let any of the Blackhawks' players get hurt, that is all I ask.

Quoting US330 (Thread starter):
Slovakia

On that subject, Marian Hossa suffered a concussion and now is going to be playing in the Olympics. It is just ridiculous for him to be playing in a meaningless game so soon after suffering that injury. Someone from the Blackhawks or the NHL needs to step up and say something.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

yooyoo

Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:33 pm

Canada-Russia final.
Canada--Top to bottom, they have the best roster in this tournament. Issues of chemistry, though, are always a concern, as is the fact that every move they make will be examined by all 33 million Canadians, and will end up taking its toll, which is why they will lose in the gold medal game

My thoughts exactly !!!...but don't tell my fellow Canadians.  
Quoting LTU932 (Reply 3):
I have absolutely no hope at all for the German Hockey Team. Something tells me that Uwe Krupp is the most responsible for the misery German international hockey is in right now

I always have hope that the Germans put up a good fight and keep the games close. I feel that the NHL scouts overlook the GErman league a little for some decent players. They always fight hard and are not afraid to get physical. Krupp has to go, but i have no idea who should replace him.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

us330

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:40 pm

The Canadian men's team filmed a video to welcome the 11 other countries:
http://youbeenblinded.com/team-canadas-diss-rap-for-the-world/6172

FighterPilot

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:02 am

Quoting US330 (Reply 9):
The Canadian men's team filmed a video to welcome the 11 other countries:
http://youbeenblinded.com/team-canad.../6172

Great vid

Cal   

LTU932

Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:59 am

Canada has started well, winning 8:0 against Norway, the US won 3:1 against Switzerland, and right now Latvia is getting owned by Russia. Russia is leading 3:0 and it's just early in the second period.

Bartonsayswhat

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:43 am

I was at the Russia Latvia game, 8-2 final. I was shocked at how well latvia did, only 3-0 after the 1st, and no goals in the seccond. Latvia has a powerplay that must be taken seriously, and the seccond of their goals was an absolute snipe. Also Latvia has a goalie that can stand on his head. I went to that game expecting Latvia to be pylons and the score to be 13-0. ood representation in the crowd from both sides.

In the Canada game it took us a while to gel, but we figured it out by the first period. Iggy plays good when hes pissed. put him starting 4th line and he gets a hat trick. He'll probably stay up with Nash and Crosby for the rest of the tournament. Also, Norways goalie can stand on his head, and from what I understand, builds mean cabinets.

aviationmaster

Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:30 pm

I have to say it was a joy to watch the Canadians play. They make the game look so easy.

As for Switzerland; if you fail to use the few good chances that you get, then you don't deserve to win. Period. Job well done to the US!

us330

Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:13 pm

US looked shaky--Canada looked way better than them. The only reason why the US game wasn't closer was that Switzerland lacks any sort of top level offensive talent (and even then, they still could have come away with the tie with the players they had).
Canada looked like they had much stronger chemistry than the U.S. did

LTU932

Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:02 pm

Germany vs Sweden will be on tonight. I hate to be a pessimist, but at this stage, the Swedish will kick our ass.

yooyoo

Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:49 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 15):
Germany vs Sweden will be on tonight. I hate to be a pessimist, but at this stage, the Swedish will kick our ass.

Not really. The Germans played well against a stacked Swedish team. 2-0 for Sweden is a result where the Germans can hold up their heads.

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 8):
I always have hope that the Germans put up a good fight and keep the games close

....and they did in this game. Well done Deutschland.   

peterpuck

Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:50 am

Germany looked really solid, be proud!

sandrozrh

Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:20 pm

Quoting AviationMaster (Reply 13):
As for Switzerland; if you fail to use the few good chances that you get, then you don't deserve to win. Period. Job well done to the US!

I have no hope whatsoever for the Swiss team. It's about time Krüger calls it a day. A national team is about the best players of a nation, not the players the national coach likes the most.

He used to do a good job, no doubt about that, but he should have been replaced at least four years ago. I can't wait for Sean Simpson!

aviationmaster

Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:37 pm

Quoting sandroZRH (Reply 18):
I have no hope whatsoever for the Swiss team. It's about time Krüger calls it a day. A national team is about the best players of a nation, not the players the national coach likes the most.

I agree. Unfortunately, its not the first tournament that Krüger decides to leave some of the best players off the team.

Quoting sandroZRH (Reply 18):
I can't wait for Sean Simpson!

He seems to be the perfect successor for Krüger. Especially when considering what has achieved with ZSC.

Anyways, I think the Swiss team is going to get their asses kicked by the Canadians tonight. After having watched their performance against the Norweigans, one can only prepare for the worst. 

KBUF

Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:08 pm

Quoting US330 (Reply 14):
US looked shaky--Canada looked way better than them. The only reason why the US game wasn't closer was that Switzerland lacks any sort of top level offensive talent (and even then, they still could have come away with the tie with the players they had).
Canada looked like they had much stronger chemistry than the U.S. did

It was just the first game, and since the USA roster is completely different from the 2006 Olympics, I'm sure the guys haven't had much time to gel. We'll see if they're better today against Norway than they were against Switzerland.
"Starting today, the Buffalo Sabres' reason for existence will be to win a Stanley Cup."-Terry Pegula, February 22, 2011

yooyoo

Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:04 pm

Quoting AviationMaster (Reply 19):
I think the Swiss team is going to get their asses kicked by the Canadians tonight

I think the Canadians will remember 4 years ago and come out strong and beat the Swiss easily. But, stranger things have happened. I hope to catch the game tonight.

us330

Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:48 pm

Quoting KBUF (Reply 20):
We'll see if they're better today against Norway than they were against Switzerland.

Well, some aspects were better, some weren't. We gave up way too many odd man rushes, and our dmen were pinching way too often. There needs to be better communication/coordination between the DMen and the forwards.
Hopefully, they will iron out those kinks before Canada.

I feel sorry for the Swiss team right now--the only thing the Canadians have heard for the past four years was how y'all beat them 2-0 in Torino, so they will be coming out for blood.

yooyoo

Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:56 pm

Quoting US330 (Reply 22):
so they will be coming out for blood

and chocolate and cheese !!  

sandrozrh

Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:31 am

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 21):
I think the Canadians will remember 4 years ago and come out strong and beat the Swiss easily

Yeah, 3-2 in penalties, wow  

us330

Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:34 pm

Quoting sandroZRH (Reply 24):

You could see the canadians start to grip their sticks tighter as the game wore on and became closer. Canada does not play well in panic mode--too many people trying to be a hero by themselves.

yooyoo

Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:43 pm

Quoting sandroZRH (Reply 24):

and this is why i no longer bet on games !!  

I didn't see the game except for the Crosby PS goal the Brodeur save. Well done Swiss, you showed us. Hopefully Canada can get their act together for the US this Sunday.

And Russia losing!!...there go my predictions

LTU932

Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:05 pm

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 26):
And Russia losing!!...there go my predictions

So do mine. Even the German press is screaming about it, saying that the Sbornaya has been humiliated by the Slovaks. And both aren't facing easy opponents next time, when Canada faces the US and Russia the Czechs.

I heard somewhere that, because of how bad they were doing in the Olympics, the Duma (the Russian Parliament) is demanding an explanation from the Russian Delegation why they only have one Gold and Bronze each, and two Silber. I guess with this defeat in Hockey, it will be the Kreml (most likely Medvedev personally) demanding explanations from Alexander Ovetchkin & Co.  

FighterPilot

Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:40 pm

I think the only thing that saved the Swiss last night from it being another lopsided game was Hiller, what a goalie! Shots on goal were 47-23 in favour of Canada. Canada had many chances but lucky for the Swiss, Hiller can stand on his head.
I was impressed with how physical the Swiss were keeping up to the Canadians. Defiantly an exciting game.
All in all looking forward to the decisive CAN-USA game on Sun. Too bad the US is going to lose  

Cal   

styles9002

Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:18 pm

Great game on now Russia v Czech Republic. Very evenly matched and quite a physical game too.

Big game tonight with USA v Canada. I hope the US can pull it out but Canada is loaded with talent and of course will have about 98% of the crown behind them too.
It is what it is.

LOT767-300ER

Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:49 pm

Did anyone just see that hit Ovechkin unloaded on that Czech guy?

Holy god he smacked him back a couple time zones.

styles9002

Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:41 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 30):
Did anyone just see that hit Ovechkin unloaded on that Czech guy?

That Czech 'guy' is Jaromir Jagr, possibly the greatest Czech player ever and one of the greatest players in NHL history...
It is what it is.

ltbewr

Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:30 am

USA beats Canada - 5-3! A great game with NHL all stars on both sides, good clean play and lots of action.
USA get a bye into the Quarterfinals, Canada will have to play one more game to have a chance to make the medal round.

scrubbsywg

Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:32 am

well done USA. Our canadians just didn't play all that well. Brodeur looked a bit off, and, to me, our passes looked off all night long. The US's passes seemed to be where they needed to be.

Canada's team has a longer road now, which may in they end help them.

Ryan miller looked great, as expected.

LOT767-300ER

Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:53 am

Quoting Reply 31):
That Czech 'guy' is Jaromir Jagr, possibly the greatest Czech player ever and one of the greatest players in NHL history...

Didnt realize that was Jagr.

us330

Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:18 am

Ovechkin's hit was probably the play of pool play--talk about a turning point.

Canada-U.S. was actually fun to watch--lots of hitting and good puck movement. The U.S. improved some of their defensive issues that had been plaguing them (and that had me fearful that the Canadians would rout them). It was clear during the game that Canada definitely has more talent than the U.S., the problem for them was that it seemed like the U.S. simply wanted it more, and were playing with a chip on their shoulder. The Canadians just seemed to be automatons--there didn't appear to be any sort of hunger or desire in their play or their body language.

Realistically, the only way the U.S. can expect to continue to advance in this tournament (and to earn a medal) is for them to replicate the style that they used against Canada--a style of play that Burke wanted out of the U.S. when he assembled the team. Will they be able to sustain this style, which is both emotionally and physically draining, for three more games?

Babcock needs to figure out how to motivate the Canadians to play with the same hunger and the desire the Americans showed today--he should show the team highlights of Brenden Morrow during the 2008 stanley cup playoffs to illustrate what he wants out of his team. Hockey's best and worst aspect is that once you get to a certain level, where the teams are relatively even in terms of talent or are used to playing against each other, talent alone can only take you so far--the will to win becomes a greater factor, and Canada, from my perspective, isn't demonstrating much of that.

Yellowstone

Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:52 am

Interesting consequence of tonight's results - Canada and Russia will meet in the quarterfinals, so one of the two will not medal.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

FighterPilot

Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:55 am

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 36):
Canada and Russia will meet in the quarterfinals, so one of the two will not medal.

What about the CAN-GER game?     

Cal   

TheCol

Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:16 am

USA vs. Canada was a total joke. It's like Team Canada didn't give 2 shits before the last 5mins. Props to the US for bringing their A-game tonight. They all did a fantastic job. I really hope Babcock plays Luongo for the rest of the tournament.

As for Kesler, he should have kept his big mouth shut. Scoring the goal that "sealed the deal" just added to the controversy. Vancouverites are well known for holding grudges, and his name is going to appear right beside Todd Bertuzzi's on the wall of shame.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

N1120A

Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:05 am

Well now OP, how do you like the US team now? Miller is channeling Mike Richter and the US focus on power forwards is paying off in spades. As for that "weak blue line", how about Rafalski and his 4 goals?

Jagr won't be much of a facto

Jagr has found the fountain of youth for this tournament. Playing excellent hockey. Perhaps 80% of what he was at his best, which would still probably get most guys in the HOF.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

us330

Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:29 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 39):
Well now OP, how do you like the US team now? Miller is channeling Mike Richter and the US focus on power forwards is paying off in spades. As for that "weak blue line", how about Rafalski and his 4 goals?

If they continue to play like they did against Canada, then I like them a lot. This was the best game of the tournament for the U.S. blue line--they didn't make the mistakes and bad giveaways that they had done against Switzerland and Norway, and made much better decisions in terms of positioning. Miller played the way he had to play to give the U.S. a shot at winning (Canada outshot the U.S. 2-1), and our net crashers got the job done by putting in a couple of ugly goals.

Rafalski was never going to be the problem for the U.S. blue line--he's a savvy veteran who's a smart player.

Quoting TheCol (Reply 38):
As for Kesler, he should have kept his big mouth shut. Scoring the goal that "sealed the deal" just added to the controversy. Vancouverites are well known for holding grudges, and his name is going to appear right beside Todd Bertuzzi's on the wall of shame.

Yeah, he shouldn't have blabbed to the press, but I have a feeling that if he helps lead the Canucks down the stretch into a deep playoff run, then all might be forgiven.

styles9002

Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:30 pm

Excellent result for the USA but I wonder if it will only wake the sleeping bear that is Canada? Regardless, it would be something for USA Hockey is the US men and women win gold in Vancouver to go with the gold medal the US won in the World Juniors in Saskatoon earlier this year.

My predictions for the Qualifications Playoffs:
Switzerland over Belarus
Canada over Germany
Czech Republic over Latvia
Slovakia over Norway

QuarterFinals
USA over Switzerland
Sweden over Slovakia
Canada over Russia
Czech Republic over Finland
It is what it is.

KBUF

Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:14 am

This is how bad it was for Canada:

BMI727

Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:12 pm

Quoting Reply 41):
Excellent result for the USA but I wonder if it will only wake the sleeping bear that is Canada?

Yes. The US won, but it was pretty clear that Canada was a better team. That said, it was very entertaining for a meaningless game and I enjoy listening to Eddie O do the call. Of course NBC screwed the pooch big time by putting the game on cable and ice dancing on the network.

And most of all, I am relieved that none of the four Blackhawks playing in the game got hurt. That is by far the most important aspect of this game, as entertaining as it was.   
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

yooyoo

Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:23 pm

Quoting FighterPilot (Reply 37):
What about the CAN-GER game?

The Germans will make this game very unentertaining. If the Canucks score early, the flood gates will open and a thrashing of the German team wil take place. If the Germans shut the door and keep it close the Canadians will grip their sticks tighter and a close game will be the result, a win for Canada no matter how trappish the Germans play.

Being a German born and now Canadian citizen, i hope the Germans play tough and get some respect (which i feel they don't get) , but i hope the Canadians get their act together and win Gold.

us330

Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:45 pm

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 44):
i hope the Germans play tough and get some respect (which i feel they don't get)

I think people respect the German team--their problem is that they don't play a very entertaining style of hockey--all defense and very little emphasis on offense.

What Germany needs more than anything is an all-star quality goaltender. If their goalie was on the level of Switzerland's Hiller, I think they would get a reputation as a possible giant killer, given how they and the Swiss play similar styles.

yooyoo

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:04 pm

Quoting US330 (Reply 45):
What Germany needs more than anything is an all-star quality goaltender

And a couple of guys that can put a buldge inthe onion basket. But they don't have that so they try to shut the back door. A better goalie would help as well.

Quoting US330 (Reply 45):
their problem is that they don't play a very entertaining style of hockey

Agreed. I have heard some commentators say that some of the German players may get a second look from some NHL scouts, so i guess they do get some respect.  

As for Canada, they need to beat Germany (should be no problem ) but then Russia and then Sweden only to face the US for the gold. Holy crap, what a hill to climb!!

sandrozrh

Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:05 pm

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 46):
only to face the US for the gold. Holy crap, what a hill to climb!!

Hey! The US will have to get past us first  

racko

Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:46 am

We don't seem to be very good at hockey.

LOT767-300ER

Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:59 am

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 46):

And a couple of guys that can put a buldge inthe onion basket. But they don't have that so they try to shut the back door. A better goalie would help as well.

Is that a reference to Tommy Smyth the worst football commentator from ESPN?

God I hate that guy

"a bulge in the old onion bag"