Rj111

Ride The Transsib From Your Living Room

Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:26 pm

Google Earth and Russian Railways have got together to map the entire Trans-Siberian Railway online and offer an excellent little site which allows you to virtually ride it.

So you can now go here and e-travel along as much or as little of the journey as you like.

I'm just going past Baikal now. Awesome views!

MadameConcorde

RE: Ride The Transsib From Your Living Room

Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:39 pm

Thank you very much for posting this. A great find.

One of my life's wishes is to ride the Trans-Siberian all the way from West to East and then take a boat to Japan.
This will give me a better idea on how to get it organized.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Braybuddy

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:02 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 1):
One of my life's wishes is to ride the Trans-Siberian all the way from West to East

This is a trip I'd love to do as well, if only I had the time. If I wanted to use-up my year's holidays in one go this would be the trip I'd take, but I'd hate to be grounded for eleven months of the year.

comorin

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:50 pm

Thanks for a great link! It's really addictive - kudos to Google and the TSR. I wonder if any a.netters have ridden this train?

DocLightning

Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:13 am

I am planning on doing a trip where I fly to DEN and then get on the California Zephyr to San Francisco.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

signol

Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:27 am

At my company, after 4 years service we get an additional 4 weeks leave to take as a sabbatical in our 5th year (and every 4 years thereafter). I was planning a trip on the Trans Siberian when I joined, however I got married and spent my sabbatical at home looking after my 2 month old baby instead! My wife would hate such a trip, so maybe when my boy is older we can do it together  

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

AverageUser

Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:46 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 1):
One of my life's wishes is to ride the Trans-Siberian all the way from West to East

If you do, bring lots of entertainment with you. If you want to start from the far west, you should start in Kolari, Finland. It's basically the same Imperial network in both countries. The airport closest to Kolari is Kittilä (KTT).

[Edited 2010-02-17 08:53:48]