WarRI1
Topic Author

United Against Supreme Court Decision.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:54 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts1137

I wonder who agrees and who disagrees with this decision of the US Supreme Court concerning campaign contributions by Corporations and Unions. Polls seem to show a united front against the decision.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

cpd

RE: United Against Supreme Court Decision.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:11 am

Basically - any corporate funding to governments - of any sort, by lobbyists, etc should be on a public register for all to see.

Or, otherwise - it should be banned entirely - so that lobbyists are not allowed to meet with government except with witnesses (eg, Police present). There must be transparency in these matters.

Next step is to bring into law requirements that press reporting must be truthful - and that those who don't abide by the rules can get in trouble (eg, gaol time).

AirStairs

Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:18 am

The thing is, it is meaningless to say you disagree with the Court's decision unless you are a legal professional of some sort and actually know the case law and constitutional questions. The Supreme Court isn't in the place of deciding right and wrong, only interpreting law. If you are unhappy with the way the law or constitution currently stands, work to change it. But unless you are calling into question the Court's jurisprudence (which most people are not qualified to do), you are just wasting your breath.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:31 am

Quoting AirStairs (Reply 2):
The thing is, it is meaningless to say you disagree with the Court's decision unless you are a legal professional of some sort and actually know the case law and constitutional questions. The Supreme Court isn't in the place of deciding right and wrong, only interpreting law. If you are unhappy with the way the law or constitution currently stands, work to change it. But unless you are calling into question the Court's jurisprudence (which most people are not qualified to do), you are just wasting your breath.

If you read the article, you would see that they are going to try to overturn the decison of the Supreme Court by congressional action. I hope they do with bi-partisan support. Is not the congress crooked enough? Just maybe we can find agreement on some issue on both sides of the aisle. It maybe a stretch to think they will try to stop the gravy train, we can hope. The poll shows all sides of the public do not support the decision.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

LAXintl

Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:36 am

There already is an existing thread on the decision.
Scotus OKs Corporate Election Funding (by Mir Jan 21 2010 in Non Aviation)
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Ken777

Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:43 am

I doubt if the decision will be overturned. The SCOUS is rather strong (at times) on freedom of speech and privacy.

At the same time, taxing is at the pleasure of the Legislative Branch. It is far more effective to establish taxes (or disallow deductions) on political spending than it is to waste time and money trying to change a decision like this.

And I doubt if a public organization can challenge disclosure requirements of the SEC and Department of Labor. Strict disclosure will allow shareholders and members to see where their money is going. Personally I would be irritated to see a company I owned shares in spending money on politicians instead of R&D or other solid investments in the future.

SA7700

Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:03 am

Kindly continue your discussion on this topic in the existing thread:

Scotus OKs Corporate Election Funding

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)