dragon-wings
Topic Author

MLB Realignment For The 2011 Season?

Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:18 pm

A story on FOX sports proposses that MBL should realign the teams into new divisions. The new divisions would look like this.

AL Atlantic:
NY Mets
NY Yankees
Orioles
Nationals
Blue Jays

AL Great Lakes:
Pirates
Tigers
Indians
Reds
Twins

AL Pacific:
Giants
Athletics
Dodgers
Angels
Mariners

NL East:
Red Sox
Phillies
Braves
Marlins
Rays

NL Midwest:
Brewers
Cubs
White Sox
Royals
Cardinals

NL Southwest
Rockies
Diamondbacks
Padres
Rangers
Astros

What do you think of this realignment idea? You think it will work in the long run? I like the idea, but it would kill some real good rivalries.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/r...enthal-realignment-proposal-022510

[Edited 2010-02-26 15:31:02 by srbmod]
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

FlyDeltaJets87

RE: MLB Realignment For The 2011 Season?

Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:35 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see the leagues and divisions balanced out so that there are 15 teams in each league and 5 teams in each of three divisions - but to take away the Yankees - Red Sox? Come on! I doubt the MLB would ever go for that.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

vikkyvik

Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:38 pm

Quoting dragon-wings (Thread starter):
AL Atlantic:
NY Mets
NY Yankees
NL East:
Red Sox

Yeeaaah......No way.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

texan

Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:32 am

Won't happen. Rangers won't go to the NL. Yanks and BoSox won't be split up.

What I could see is the long overdue move of the Rangers to the AL Central -- promised many moons ago to help cut down travel time. The problem then is finding out who else to put in the West.

I can't remember where, but on some ESPN or FoxSports blog they discussed realigning the divisions. Pretty sure it was ESPN. They discussed basically having rotating divisions. Some teams would stay in a specific division no matter what, but other teams could move around. For example:

AL East: always have Yankees and Red Sox; rotate between Baltimore, Cleveland, Detroit, Tampa, Toronto
AL West: always have Mariners, A's, and Angels; rotate between Twins, Royals, White Sox, and Rangers
AL Central: rotate between Baltimore, White Sox, Cleveland, Detroit, Kansas City, Minnesota Tampa, Texas, and Toronto

NL East: always have Mets and Marlins; rotate between Phillies, Nationals, Braves, Reds, Pirates, Cubs, Cardinals, Brewers (or move the Brewers back to the AL to even the divisions)
NL Central: rotate between Phils, Nats, Braves, Reds, Pirates, Cubs, Cards, Brewers, Astros, and Rockies
NL West: always have San Fran, L.A., San Diego, and Arizona; rotate between Colorado and Houston.

ESPN's guy recommended having a drawing after the Super Bowl to determine which teams would play in which divisions. Not sure if I like the plan, but it is innovative!

The most logical thing to do to create even leagues, if you were inclined to realign, is to move the Brewers back to the AL Central and then move the Twins to the AL West. Either that or move the Astros directly to the AL West.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

bohica

Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:46 am

AL Pacific:
Giants
Athletics
Dodgers
Angels
Mariners

All they need to do is replace the Mariners with the Padres and the state of California would be guaranteed a playoff spot every year. Even with the Mariners, the state has a very good chance at a playoff spot.

The Giants and the Dodgers in the AL?    Say it ain't so.   

Moose135

Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:46 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 1):
15 teams in each league and 5 teams in each of three divisions

That means you have an inter-league game every day, or one team is off every day.

I don't see any way the realignment proposed by Fox Sports can work, especially for 2011. Right now, the AL teams use the designated hitter, the NL doesn't. They would have to either adopt the DH for all teams, or eliminate it entirely. Either way they went, it would cause headaches and heartaches.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

Mir

Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:32 am

Quoting moose135 (Reply 5):
That means you have an inter-league game every day

Not a bad idea IMHO - at least that way you can treat the games as regular games and not as just some exhibition that counts in the standings. It would also fit well with the idea of NFL-style scheduling, which I'm not opposed to.

But as far as putting the Red Sox in the NL, and the Dodgers and Giants in the AL...   

-Mir

[Edited 2010-02-26 18:32:57]
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Moose135

Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:45 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 6):
Not a bad idea IMHO - at least that way you can treat the games as regular games and not as just some exhibition that counts in the standings.

And on the other hand, I think they should eliminate inter-league play until the World Series, making it something special, but I know that ship has sailed.

EA CO AS

Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:49 am

If it ain't broke...   
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

N1120A

Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:45 am

A story on FOX sports proposses that MBL should realign the teams into new divisions. The new divisions would look like this.

Every year you see some stupid story like this.

What do you think of this realignment idea?

I think it is terrible. The Dodgers (yay) and the Giants (boo) should never, ever be in the American League.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 8):
If it ain't broke...

Precisely. I think the current format, with the Wild Card and traditional teams in their traditional leagues, strikes a perfect balance.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

FlyDeltaJets87

Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:57 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 9):
Precisely. I think the current format, with the Wild Card and traditional teams in their traditional leagues, strikes a perfect balance.

Certainly an argument to keep 3 divisions instead of move to 4 (or add another round to the playoff or give a couple teams a bye in the first round). There could be a better balance of the divisions though. The AL West has one less team than the Central and East division. The NL Central has one more team than the NL East and West. Not quite fair IMO.

Quoting Mir (Reply 6):
It would also fit well with the idea of NFL-style scheduling, which I'm not opposed to.

They already do that for inter-league. The leagues rotate which division in the other league they will play every year, with special exception made for big rivalry games (The Mets and Yankees will play a 3 game series at Yankee Stadium and at Citi Field regardless of which division from the other league the AL and NL east are playing.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

N1120A

Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:14 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 10):
Certainly an argument to keep 3 divisions instead of move to 4 (or add another round to the playoff or give a couple teams a bye in the first round).

No more rounds. That waters down the playoffs and also makes the season far too long, as it is already stretching into November. Baseball is not the NBA, where more than half the teams make the playoffs every year. It needs to be limited. The current system does that.

There could be a better balance of the divisions though. The AL West has one less team than the Central and East division. The NL Central has one more team than the NL East and West. Not quite fair IMO.

Actually, the one bit of realignment could indeed be there. The proposal I saw, which was very reasonable, was as follows:

D'Backs to AL West - Creates a decent natural rival for the Padres and balances the AL West with the rest of the AL
Astros to NL West - Fills the void left by the D'Backs moving to the AL West, eliminates the odd geographic issues with the NL Central and feeds of the natural California-Texas rivlary.

They already do that for inter-league. The leagues rotate which division in the other league they will play every year, with special exception made for big rivalry games (The Mets and Yankees will play a 3 game series at Yankee Stadium and at Citi Field regardless of which division from the other league the AL and NL east are playing.

I like the way this is handled now as well. Regional rivalries and also rotation.

BMI727

Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:29 am

Cubs
White Sox

NO! If you listen to any sports radio from Chicago you would realize what a horrible idea this is. It would increase the idiotic penis measuring by the respective meatball fans of each team.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

bohica

Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:05 pm

The Dodgers (yay) and the Giants (boo) should never, ever be in the American League.

Wrong!!! It's the GIANTS (yay) and the dodgers (boo).    

USPIT10L

Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:17 pm

I think it is terrible. The Dodgers (yay) and the Giants (boo) should never, ever be in the American League.

I agree. Neither should the Pirates, Reds, Nationals or Mets. I know the Nats just came to Washington a few years ago, but give DC time. With the core they're building, they could be competitive sooner rather than later, unlike the Pirates. But if you took the old-school rivalries away, who would go to the games? I wouldn't go see a Pirates-Blue Jays game or Pirates-Athletics game, they're just not natural rivalries.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

Mir

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:00 pm

They already do that for inter-league. The leagues rotate which division in the other league they will play every year,

Yeah, but I'd rather see something where the schedule is sort of matched by the standings, so that a good team plays mostly other good teams from the other league, regardless of what division they're in. I'd like to see the Yankees play the Cardinals and the Dodgers - I don't really give a crap about the Pirates or Diamondbacks.

-Mir

N1120A

Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:28 pm

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 14):
Neither should the Pirates, Reds, Nationals or Mets.

Pirates and Reds for sure, given how long their history is (Pirates won the first World Series and the Reds are the first modern MLB team). The Mets were created out of the legacy of New York's previous two NL teams, the Dodgers and Giants. The Nats were Les Expos, and should still be Les Expos, but they have history too.

Quoting Mir (Reply 15):
Yeah, but I'd rather see something where the schedule is sort of matched by the standings, so that a good team plays mostly other good teams from the other league, regardless of what division they're in. I'd like to see the Yankees play the Cardinals and the Dodgers - I don't really give a crap about the Pirates or Diamondbacks.

That screws up the competitive balance and also denies the fans in those smaller markets the chance of seeing bigger teams, and thus denies those teams revenue.

Indeed, matching teams by the standings wouldn't matter anyway. The history the Dodgers and Cardinals have would carry a series with the Yankees even if one of the three teams were in last place.

USPIT10L

Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:03 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 16):

Thanks, I'm a die-hard NL guy too. Cannot stand the AL and the DH in particular.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

N1120A

Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:58 am

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 17):

Thanks, I'm a die-hard NL guy too. Cannot stand the AL and the DH in particular.

Hank Steinbrenner should have gotten a smack for his garbage about the NL being behind the times on having the DH.

4holer

Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:38 am

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 17):
Cannot stand the AL and the DH in particular.

Can't stand the AL BECAUSE of the DH.
Get rid of that, then we can at least have a conversation about realignment.
Until then, no way.
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

csturdiv

Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:07 pm

Certainly an argument to keep 3 divisions instead of move to 4 (or add another round to the playoff or give a couple teams a bye in the first round).

I like the MLB Playoffs as they are, they are not as long as the NBA or NHL playoffs, where 3/4 of the team make the playoffs and the playoffs last for months.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 12):
NO! If you listen to any sports radio from Chicago you would realize what a horrible idea this is. It would increase the idiotic penis measuring by the respective meatball fans of each team.

Most of those people that call Chicago sports radio are meatheads. I am not sure how it is in other cities, but during baseball season here in the Chicago area, the meatheads do come out. I am a Cubs fan and I do not like the White Sox. Well, I do not care for them, I wouldn't say a not like. I prefer NL baseball over AL baseball, it seems more pure and is more entertaining to watch with the various strategies that go into just about every at bat. The DH is what kills AL baseball for me.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

travelin man

Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:05 pm

The additional complication is that if you have 15 teams in the AL, and 15 teams in the NL, "intra-league" play would be throughout the year (since there would be an odd number of teams in each league, and one AL team would have to play one NL team on an ongoing basis).

What baseball should really do is expand by 2 teams, and have 32 teams (16 per league). They could then do the divisions & leagues NFL-style (four teams per division, four divisions per league).

AL West
Angels
A's
Mariners
Portland/Las Vegas (expansion)

AL North
Twins
Royals
White Sox
Tigers

AL South
Rangers
Devil Rays
Indians
New Orleans/Memphis (expansion)

AL East
Red Sox
Yankees
Orioles
Blue Jays

NL West
Dodgers
Giants
Padres
Diamondbacks

NL North
Rockies
Brewers
Cubs
Cardinals

NL South
Astros
Braves
Marlins
Reds

NL East
Mets
Pirates
Nationals
Phillies

As has been mentioned previously, there is no chance that the Dodgers, Giants, or Red Sox would ever switch leagues, or be separated from their primary divisional rivals.

flymia

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:22 pm

Quoting 4holer (Reply 19):
Can't stand the AL BECAUSE of the DH.

Yep! It is not real baseball.
No way would the MLB ever get rid of Boston-Yankees. I would love to see the Marlins play in the same league as the Yankees or Red Sox even though that means more compettition it also means more money for the Marlins as Yankee fans and Red Sox fans would be going to the games all the time. Also I think it would spark a nice rivalary too. I think the leagues are pretty good the way they are though. But as others said get rid of the DH then change stuff around.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Cadet985

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:28 am

Quoting travelin man (Reply 21):

I like your idea of which teams would be in which division. I'd like to see MLB move into parts of the midwest like the Dakotas, Kansas, Iowa....maybe even someplace like Montana/Idaho/Wyoming as these places are almost completely untouched by MLB. Also, MLB needs to put another team or two outside of the US, be it somewhere in Canada or Latin America. I've heard a lot of people suggest San Juan. with regards to the ideas posed in the article, I would never want to see the Yankees/Mets or Cubs/White Sox in the same division. Talk about something that would start an inter-city rivalry...

Marc

Mudboy

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:15 am

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 23):
I would never want to see the Yankees/Mets or Cubs/White Sox in the same division. Talk about something that would start an inter-city rivalry...

Seriously, that would take away the chance of a subway series.

flymia

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:11 am

I like your idea of which teams would be in which division. I'd like to see MLB move into parts of the midwest like the Dakotas, Kansas, Iowa....maybe even someplace like Montana/Idaho/Wyoming as these places are almost completely untouched by MLB. Also, MLB needs to put another team or two outside of the US, be it somewhere in Canada or Latin America.

You cant put a team in a small city like those of Kansas, Wyoming etc.. The TV markets are way too small to make money. As for Canada Montreal could not handle a team I doubt any other city besides for Toronto Can. As for Latin America again money. Not a lot of people would be able to afford MLB ticket prices, not that much money to be made in TV markets etc.. Maybe Mexico City since it is such a huge city but besides for that it just could not work. And Maybe San Juan since it is part of the US and all but I still do not see a team making money there.

I cant think of many cities that can handle a MLB team that do not have one. Portland OR, Memphis, Oklahoma City... any others?
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Moose135

Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:18 pm

What baseball should really do is expand by 2 teams, and have 32 teams (16 per league). They could then do the divisions & leagues NFL-style (four teams per division, four divisions per league).

I've thought the same thing - and in doing so, only the eight division winners make the playoffs, eliminating this ridiculous "Wild Card" deal where a team that can't even win their division ends up as the World Series Champion.

N1120A

Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:42 pm

If not for travel issues, Hawai'i could probably support a team.

Quoting moose135 (Reply 26):

I've thought the same thing - and in doing so, only the eight division winners make the playoffs, eliminating this ridiculous "Wild Card" deal where a team that can't even win their division ends up as the World Series Champion.

That happens in all sports. I like having a single wild card team. It allows a team from a strong division or with a runaway top team to still make it based on their strength of season. Sometimes, the WC team may actually have the second best record in the entire league, but not win their division.

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 25):
As for Canada Montreal could not handle a team I doubt any other city besides for Toronto Can.

Montreal did support a team. For decades. The problem is that Montreal had an epic failure of a stadium and years of terrible management and poor treatment by MLB. Vancouver might do well with a team, especially given all the baseball talent that has come out of BC.

Maybe San Juan since it is part of the US and all but I still do not see a team making money there.

There was serious thought given to moving Les Expos to San Juan, which is why they played so many "home" games there. In the end, Puerto Rico needs to see its economy grow a little more before this is possible.

I cant think of many cities that can handle a MLB team that do not have one. Portland OR, Memphis, Oklahoma City... any others?

Of all those cities, MAYBE Portland can. Oklahoma has a surprisingly strong baseball presence, so it MIGHT work, but the reality is that these cities are really more appropriate for NBA teams and not really likely to handle the kind of numbers MLB teams need to pull.

DiamondFlyer

Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:41 pm

I'd like to see MLB move into parts of the midwest like the Dakotas, Kansas, Iowa....maybe even someplace like Montana/Idaho/Wyoming as these places are almost completely untouched by MLB

Not going to happen, as there just aren't enough people. There are lower level teams in the area (AAA,AA, etc..). For instance, Omaha has AAA Kansas City, Des Moines has AAA Chicago Cubs. Without the population to support a team, they'd never survive. Heck, even in Kansas City, people barely support the team, unless by some miracle they are playing well.

Oklahoma City might make sense to me. I'm not sure how the AAA club in town does, but it seems like they could make it work.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

travelin man

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:03 pm

I'd say the following cities could potentially support an MLB baseball team:
- Portland
- Las Vegas
- Salt Lake City
- Oklahoma City
- San Antonio
- Memphis
- Nashville
- Charlotte
- (maybe) New Orleans
- (maybe) San Juan
- (maybe) Honolulu

Mostly in the Western & Southern US, where the population is growing the fastest.

flymia

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:17 pm

Quoting travelin man (Reply 29):

IMO
- Portland Probably could.
- Las Vegas No way, MLB would never let it happen anyway.
- Salt Lake City I dont think so but maybe.
- Oklahoma City I think it could work lets see how the Thunder do.
- San Antonio Decent population never thought of it maybe.
- Memphis Yep maybe
- Nashville Too small IMO
- Charlotte This is the city I could see it doing the best in.
- (maybe) New Orleans Too small, not enough money in the area at the moment, Braves are close by.
- (maybe) San Juan Not enough money.
- (maybe) Honolulu Travel and time cost, wont be worth it. Also bad times for TV. I would like to one day see a pro team in Honolulu though.

travelin man

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:00 pm

Just to add further context, here are the metro area populations (2008 per Wiki) of the cities I mentioned:

Portland 2.2M
San Antonio 2.0M
Las Vegas 1.9M
Charlotte 1.7M
Nashville 1.6M
Memphis 1.3M
Oklahoma City 1.2M
New Orleans 1.2M
Salt Lake City 1.1M
Honolulu 0.9M
San Juan (N/A- not on here)

Other honorable mentions:
Sacramento 2.1M (probably too close to the Bay Area)
Indianapolis 1.7M
Raleigh 1.1M

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_o...tes_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

I'd say out of this list, Portland, San Antonio, Charlotte and Indianapolis could be good candidates. All have bigger populations than Milwaukee (1.5M), which currently has an MLB team.

AirframeAS

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:49 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 8):
If it ain't broke...   

I'm with you on that one. The current format works fine. I don't see a problem with it.

The only thing that is broken is Selig, himself. The dude has to go.

No. That will make the season too long. Spring training does not help either, which is also way too long.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

travelin man

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:01 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 32):
No. That will make the season too long. Spring training does not help either, which is also way too long.

Why does expanding by two teams imply that you'd have to expand the season? It shouldn't (as it didn't when Colorado and Arizona were added in the 90s).

AirframeAS

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:06 am

Quoting travelin man (Reply 33):
Why does expanding by two teams imply that you'd have to expand the season? It shouldn't (as it didn't when Colorado and Arizona were added in the 90s).

Because the more teams you add, the more games you would need to play. MLB got lucky when Colorado, Arizona, Tampa Bay and Florida got added to the list of teams in the 90's. The more teams you add to the current list, the more games that will need to be played under the current rules and format that includes the playoffs which makes it even more complicated.

So no, MLB does not need any more expansion teams as there are enough.

travelin man

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:19 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 34):
Because the more teams you add, the more games you would need to play. MLB got lucky when Colorado, Arizona, Tampa Bay and Florida got added to the list of teams in the 90's. The more teams you add to the current list, the more games that will need to be played under the current rules and format that includes the playoffs which makes it even more complicated.

So no, MLB does not need any more expansion teams as there are enough.

Well obviously they would change the current rules and format (maybe minimizing inter-league play?). It is far from set in stone, since all teams play an unbalanced schedule already. And the play-off format can always be changed. As mentioned above -- Seed the four division winners, and have three rounds of play-offs (like today) -- AL 1 vs. AL 4, AL 2 vs AL 3, ALCS, WS (same with NL). You are acting like the current playoff format has been around forever, when it's only been around since the 90s.

And if you think baseball isn't broken, you obviously haven't seen how football has totally surpassed it in ratings, popularity, etc.

AirframeAS

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:28 am

Quoting travelin man (Reply 35):
(maybe minimizing inter-league play?).

Inter-league play is like a week and a half. That is nothing.

And the play-off format can always be changed.

It could, in thoery. It would still screw up everything.

Seed the four division winners, and have three rounds of play-offs (like today) -- AL 1 vs. AL 4, AL 2 vs AL 3, ALCS, WS (same with NL).

In other words, make the season even longer with the new proposed format. Yes, I do include the playoffs as part of the season.

You are acting like the current playoff format has been around forever, when it's only been around since the 90s.

I remember the days when the MLB was two divisions in each of the two league with 8 teams in each division. I remember exactly that when I was in Junior High in 1990. The new/current format took place, IIRC, 1992. And that works well.

And if you think baseball isn't broken, you obviously haven't seen how football has totally surpassed it in ratings, popularity, etc.

Baseball is not broken. What is broken, as I have stated before, is Selig himself, for obvious reasons. The man needs to go. He is bringing Baseball down to a brand new low the longer he is still the commish.

You can disagree with me as much as you want. My comments still stand, as a life long Baseball follower, both Little League, High School and MLB.

At the same time, we'll agree to disagree on how Baseball should be formatted.

travelin man

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:56 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 36):
In other words, make the season even longer with the new proposed format. Yes, I do include the playoffs as part of the season.

No, the season would NOT be any longer. Three rounds of play-offs, exactly like it is today. I too remember how it used to be just the ALCS/NLCS and then the World Series. Times change.

AirframeAS

Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:44 am

Quoting travelin man (Reply 37):
No, the season would NOT be any longer. Three rounds of play-offs, exactly like it is today.

Again... Like I said.....

You can disagree with me as much as you want. My comments still stand, as a life long Baseball follower, both Little League, High School and MLB.

At the same time, we'll agree to disagree on how Baseball should be formatted.

Mir

Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:38 am

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 30):
- (maybe) New Orleans Too small, not enough money in the area at the moment, Braves are close by.

The Braves are closer to Charlotte than they are to New Orleans. The closest team to New Orleans is the Astros.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 38):
Again... Like I said.....

It's not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of fact. Currently, you have a 162 game season with 30 teams, and then three rounds of playoffs. If you change that to a 162 game season with 32 teams, and then three rounds of playoffs (and assuming you don't change the 5-7-7 format for the three rounds), the season will be the same length, with the only change being that teams will play each other a bit less. You can argue the merits of such a plan if you want, but you can't claim that the season would be any longer.

-Mir

AirframeAS

Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:47 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 39):
You can argue the merits of such a plan if you want, but you can't claim that the season would be any longer.

Like I said....

It could, in thoery.

I still think it won't work, no matter how you try to convince me. Sorry. I shrug.

Mir

Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:24 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 40):
I still think it won't work, no matter how you try to convince me.

Ok, going to try this one more time.

Currently, we have a 162 game regular season with 30 teams, followed by one round of best-of-5 and two rounds of best-of-7.

162+5+7+7=181 games maximum.

If you had a 162 game regular season with 32 teams, followed by one round of best-of-5 and two rounds of best-of-7, you'd have:

162+5+7+7=181 games maximum.

181=181. I hope I don't need to try and convince you too hard about that.

You can say that having teams play each other less often is a bad idea, and that would be a valid point. But what is not debatable is that if the season is kept to 162 games and three playoff rounds, it doesn't matter how many teams you have - the season won't be any longer than it is now.

-Mir

AirframeAS

Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:27 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 41):
Ok, going to try this one more time.

You don't need to waste your breath, no matter how you try to convince me. Sorry....

I still don't agree.

[Edited 2010-03-03 20:30:43]

N1120A

Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:28 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 39):

The Braves are closer to Charlotte than they are to New Orleans. The closest team to New Orleans is the Astros.

The Braves are really a non-factor for New Orleans proximity. As Mir said, the 'stros are really the closer team. That said, New Orleans and Louisiana generally have a very strong baseball tradition that might just be able to support a team.

Quoting travelin man (Reply 31):
All have bigger populations than Milwaukee (1.5M), which currently has an MLB team.

Milwaukee is an exceptional case for various reasons. One of which is that baseball's commissioner owned the team for years.

The money, population and baseball tradition are all there to do it. Remember that baseball is the sport with the cheapest tickets. I just wonder if the city can support a third major league team.

- Las Vegas No way, MLB would never let it happen anyway.

Correct. MLB is the LEAST likely league to set down in Vegas. AAA will be the limit.

- Oklahoma City I think it could work lets see how the Thunder do.

Basketball and baseball are 2 different animals.

- San Antonio Decent population never thought of it maybe.

SAT is always mentioned for new pro teams.

- Memphis Yep maybe
- Nashville Too small IMO

Yet Nashville supports the football team.

There are reasons Charlotte would work, but the eastern sea board is littered with teams.

flymia

Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 43):
Yet Nashville supports the football team.

Yea but as the NBA and MLB are different the NFL and MLB are much different. There are 8 home games a year compared to 81.