mirrodie
Topic Author

Is Voluptuous The New Black?

Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:22 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/ent...ze-issue-features-plus-size-models

Interesting viewpoint. The problem with the word Voluptuous though is that it has too many, er, um....broad meanings.

Some lovely models in there and some are simply too zaftig in my opinion as it relates to the word.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

IMissPiedmont

RE: Is Voluptuous The New Black?

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:23 pm

What does "black" have to do with it ?
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

fr8mech

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:33 pm

Quoting IMissPiedmont (Reply 1):

Fashion. Black is always in vogue. Anything that is the 'New Black' is the new popular thing.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

UAL747

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:35 pm

Quoting IMissPiedmont (Reply 1):

You've never heard the phrase, "Is ________ the new black?" ]

Anyway, I think we are seeing more of a cultural change to accepting reality for what it is, or at least I think we are heading that way. I think it also has a bit to do with the economy, and things that are going on around the world and nation. People are having to evaluate everything in their lives, and themselves. They are having to step out of the Bentley and buy a Toyota. So I think they are accepting the fact that most of us do not look like the models we see on TV and in magazines, and that people are getting put off by those types of images. I really do hope we are getting more "real."
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

vikkyvik

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:37 pm

Quoting mirrodie (Thread starter):
Is Voluptuous The New Black?

I hope so. I have never found these size-zero models particularly attractive at all.

Anorexia just ain't my thing, I guess.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

N328KF

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:45 pm

This is from the previous time period when voluptuous models were "in." Unfortunately, it did not last and we then got Kate Moss.

Ashley (Montana) Richardson
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

Fly2HMO

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:09 pm

I did not like any of the models. They're straight up chubby. You can still have curves without having love handles or flabby arms and a big stomach pouch.

Here's proof:

http://www.ohchicas.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/fotos-de-altair-jarabo-en-bikini-oh-chicas-02.jpg

Quoting N328KF (Reply 5):
This is from the previous time period when voluptuous models were "in."

That's more like it.

desertjets

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:29 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 6):
I did not like any of the models. They're straight up chubby. You can still have curves without having love handles or flabby arms and a big stomach pouch.

Yeah but those women are still quite skinny by any definition.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

IMissPiedmont

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:55 pm

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 3):

Nope, I've never heard that phrase. I still don't understand why the color black is so interesting. It's really quite boring.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

Fly2HMO

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:55 pm

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 7):
Yeah but those women are still quite skinny by any definition

Well yeah for you and Superfly's skewed standards they most definitely are    

UAL747

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:19 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 9):
Well yeah for you and Superfly's skewed standards they most definitely are

I hope you have a Greek god of a body then to go with your goddess wife/girlfriend's.
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

PlymSpotter

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:30 am

Quoting IMissPiedmont (Reply 8):
I still don't understand why the color black is so interesting. It's really quite boring.

I know, but we're stuck with it.

Signed,
Goths

In all seriousness, I'm glad stupidly thin models might be slipping out of fashion, if only for a little while. It's not healthy and it's not attractive - I like something to be inbetween the flesh and skeleton of girls.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

ShyFlyer

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:30 am

The problem with the word Voluptuous though is that it has too many, er, um....broad meanings.

I find it's the same with the word curvy as well.

I'm glad that the anorexic look is on its way out. ShyFlyer likes to see a little softness in the women folk.  
I lift things up and put them down.

DocLightning

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:34 am

I hope it is because we have enough anorexia nervosa in the world. Georgio Armani (I believe) was the first designer to ban models with a BMI below 18 from his advertising.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Superfly

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:37 am

Sorry guys but I take responsibility for this.  
Bring back the Concorde

UAL747

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:43 am

Nope, I've never heard that phrase. I still don't understand why the color black is so interesting. It's really quite boring.

Because you can make anyone look good in black, and it can be sexy, as well as business professional. Not to mention, it's extremely slimming, white obviously being the opposite.

UAL

Fly2HMO

Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:37 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 10):
I hope you have a Greek god of a body then to go with your goddess wife/girlfriend's.

Well I've been complemented several times so I won't complain     

CanadianDC10

Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:53 am

Voluptuous has always been in. Big hips and a round bum is where it's at!!!!

Kiwirob

Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:58 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 6):

Completely agree, some of those women are borderline obese, except Salma Hayek, she's just got massive tits which make the rest of her appear larger than she really is.

ah but those women are still quite skinny by any definition.

It's quite sad when obviously fat people are seen as skinny, it must be something to do with men in the US having to look at massive women all day long, that anyone under 200 pounds is seen as skinny.

Superfly

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:48 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 18):
It's quite sad when obviously fat people are seen as skinny, it must be something to do with men in the US having to look at massive women all day long, that anyone under 200 pounds is seen as skinny.

There goes Kiwirob again with his unprovoked and baseless attacks against the US.
Time & time again, I have to remind you that your native Australia/New Zealand has the fattest people. Your neighboring South Pacific island nations rank very high as well.
So take you anti-US rants elsewhere.

http://www.3news.co.nz/NZ-third-fatt.../382/articleID/112209/Default.aspx
Bring back the Concorde

Kiwirob

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:06 pm

That would be true if I was interested in Pacific Island and Maori women but the majority are fat and not worth looking at, whereas Americans of all colours are fat. If you removed Maori and Pacific Islanders from the statistics then I would bet the rest of us in NZ are far slimmer than you lot in the US.

Superfly

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:33 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 20):
If you removed Maori and Pacific Islanders from the statistics

Does that really even matter?
Aren't they Australians if they are legal citizens?
Fact is, you have a lot of piglets in your native Australia/New Zealand.
Bring back the Concorde

N328KF

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:55 pm

Completely agree, some of those women are borderline obese, except Salma Hayek, she's just got massive tits which make the rest of her appear larger than she really is.

I don't think anyone considers Hendricks obese.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

Kiwirob

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:57 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 21):
Does that really even matter?

To me it does, I wouldn't consider dating a Maori or Pacific Islander for the very reason that they are either fat now or will be fat when they get older. It's a terrible generalisation but one that isn't too far from the truth.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 21):
Aren't they Australians if they are legal citizens?

If you can't get the country right how can you even be sure that your argument is correct.

It's not New Zealands fault that the majority of our native population pig out on KFC, lamb flaps and SPAM and that most of the imports from the Pacific Islands also like being big and chunky. Ethnicity makes a big difference in weight statistics.

Superfly you can't deny that vast numbers of Americans are huge, you do see large people in NZ and Australia, no doubt about it but our fatties are no way near as fat as your fatties. 400, 500, 600, and even 700 pounders can be seen on the streets in the US, I haven't seen anything close to that in NZ.

The only large peoople you see in Norway are usually American tourists.

N328KF

Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:11 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 23):
Superfly you can't deny that vast numbers of Americans are huge, you do see large people in NZ and Australia, no doubt about it but our fatties are no way near as fat as your fatties. 400, 500, 600, and even 700 pounders can be seen on the streets in the US, I haven't seen anything close to that in NZ.

I think you're taking this a bit too far. I have seen the occasional 400lber, but people of that size and larger are rare, and we are often surprised when we see it, as well.

Kiwirob

Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:16 pm

You had better go to Disney World or any of the theme parts in Orlando, wall the wall chubbies being wheeled around in oversized wheelchairs, some of the people made the contestants on the biggest loser look like midgets. I'll post the photos if I can find them.

N328KF

Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:28 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 25):
You had better go to Disney World or any of the theme parts in Orlando, wall the wall chubbies being wheeled around in oversized wheelchairs, some of the people made the contestants on the biggest loser look like midgets. I'll post the photos if I can find them.

That's OK. I'll do fine without the photos.

In case you hadn't noticed, the US is a big country. Within this country, we have a wide variance of health patterns. Some portions of the country do better or worse than others.

Superfly

Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:57 pm

To me it does, I wouldn't consider dating a Maori or Pacific Islander for the very reason that they are either fat now or will be fat when they get older. It's a terrible generalisation but one that isn't too far from the truth.

That's not what I was asking.
If you hate a race of people, that is your problem. My point was that they are also Australians/New Zealanders. You're trying to slice & dice up your population in a failed attempt to claim that your country isn't fat.
These are you people, like it or not.

If you can't get the country right how can you even be sure that your argument is correct.

It's not New Zealands fault that the majority of our native population pig out on KFC

Australia, New Zealand same damn thing!   

Superfly you can't deny that vast numbers of Americans are huge, you do see large people in NZ and Australia, no doubt about it but our fatties are no way near as fat as your fatties.

Oh geez, now you're sounding silly!   
This is like an argument between two fat people calling each other fat.
...and no one is denying that the US has it's fair-share of fatties.

You had better go to Disney World or any of the theme parts in Orlando

That is the arm-pit of the USA. Not a good representative sample of the US population. Certianly not a center of sophistication either. I would expect an enlightend, well travelled, non-US citizen to be intellegent enough to know this.
The southeast of the US the poorest and unhealthiest part of the nation. So of course you are going to see a larger sample of large people.

Back on topic.
These models aren't hot at all.
They are tall & slim with flabby skin hanging off. I wouldn't call these women voluptuous. These woem are just nasty.
Bring back the Concorde

mirrodie
Topic Author

Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:01 pm

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 3):

Nope, I've never heard that phrase.

Wow, I'm surprised. That's a common phrase thats been around quite a while.

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 12):
ShyFlyer likes to see a little softness in the women folk.  

I think that's the best word for it. If I were to define voluptuous, it would be a ratio... rounded top(bosom) and bottom(arse) with a taper at the waist.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 14):

I have to say that in looking at the link again, MOST of those models are too biggish for me. The thing is their poses accentuate their curves but they are still maybe a bit too thick in the waist for me.

wall the wall chubbies being wheeled around in oversized wheelchairs, some of the people made the contestants on the biggest loser look like midgets. I'll post the photos if I can find them.

Hysterical. But if you are going to post any photos,it must be of voluptuous women only!! Keep the wall to wall chubbies, as you call them, to yourself!  
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

TurkishWings

Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:16 pm

Ahhh... That's how you spell that word  
Coffee - Tea or Me?

us330

Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:19 pm

There is a difference between voluptuous and fat, and most of the women in that slide show are unfortunately the latter.
Hendricks, Kardashian, Renn, and Miller are not fat and are indeed great to look at, but the rest look like something out of a Botero work.

mirrodie
Topic Author

Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:47 pm

This is from the previous time period when voluptuous models were "in."

That's more like it.

Actually, after further careful review, that 2nd girl after Aguilera is downright skinny. And with no bosom and if she stood up straight, her legs would probably appear skinny (her pose just accentuates a curve that I dont think is even there)

he's just got massive tits

As an aside, is "tits" a faux pas down in NZ? It's somewhat taboo to use it on the streets here but is it more commonly used there?

I dont think anyone said they were SKINNY. Voluptuous and Skinny....again, the definitions are being muddled here.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 19):
I have to remind you that your native Australia/New Zealand has the fattest people.
600, and even 700 pounders can be seen on the streets in the US

That is awesome. I am enjoying this debate. But one fact KiwiRob, the only 600 and 700 pounders we see here are on TV, on cable TV. Not common in the streets. And while you can generalize about Disney, you'd have a tough time backing that up since Disney receives visitors from around the world.

Fly2HMO

Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:03 pm

she's just got massive tits which make the rest of her appear larger than she really is

do not forget her gorgeous ass   

I'll post the photos if I can find them

look no further:

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?page_id=9804&paged=2

Quoting US330 (Reply 30):
but the rest look like something out of a Botero work.

Agreed.

4holer

Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:27 pm

Just to get clarification here...

Is someone in this thread insulting the weight of people in another country, and then stating that in his own country, except for the fat people, no one is fat?

Just checking...
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

slimshady

Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:48 pm

Dude, I hear ya. I got a photo of a real gem of a lady at Disneyland last month, at least 5'4", 300+ lbs, gobbling up an ice cream cone like there was no tomorrow. (nom nom nom nom).

I am no greek god or an adonis, but how do do people just not care about what they look like or their health????

vikkyvik

Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:49 pm

Quoting 4holer (Reply 33):
Just to get clarification here...

Is someone in this thread insulting the weight of people in another country, and then stating that in his own country, except for the fat people, no one is fat?

Yes, more or less.

Oh please, spare me the sad face!  
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Kiwirob

Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:54 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 27):
If you hate a race of people, that is your problem.

I don't hate em, I just wouldn't date em, fat women are a huge turn off whatever the colour

Australia, New Zealand same damn thing!

You damn Canadian!

Quoting mirrodie (Reply 31):
As an aside, is "tits" a faux pas down in NZ? It's somewhat taboo to use it on the streets here but is it more commonly used there?

Nope you nothing wrong with tits, it's a common everyday kind of word, like boobs, breasts.........although I prefer clangers.

Quoting mirrodie (Reply 31):
And while you can generalize about Disney, you'd have a tough time backing that up since Disney receives visitors from around the world.

Americans tend to stand out wherever they are, most if not all of the tubbies were obviously American.

Oh geez, now you're sounding silly!

It might sound silly but big people in the US just appear to be much larger than big people in other countries. I bet the average weight of a canadian like yourself Superfly is great than the average weight of an NZ male.

According to nationmaster 30% of Americans are obese compared to 20% of us lot.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_obe-health-obesity

slimshady

Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:59 pm

BTW, I love the Voluptuous look. not thin, not fat, just right. Luckily I married a latin gal with curves in all the right places. Still curvy after all these years and three kids. The waif thing never did anything for me, I was always afraid I might break them in half.

BigOrange

Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:05 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 36):
I don't hate em, I just wouldn't date em, fat women are a huge turn off whatever the colour

Nothing wrong with fat women. One of the hottest women among the 500 or so in the company I work for is about 350lbs, but if you look past the weight you can see the beauty in her face. No stick insects for me!

Rara

Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:09 pm

Nope, I've never heard that phrase.

Certainly you've heard the phrase "are puppies the new kittens?"  
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

Fly2HMO

Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:09 pm

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 38):
One of the hottest women among the 500 or so in the company I work for is about 350lbs, but if you look past the weight you can see the beauty in her face.

you mean kinda like this?:

All yours. I'll pass   

kmh1956

Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:12 pm

For all the posters who put down the girls/ladies/women with curves...please post your own photographs, so that we can all see what Adonis' you all are and how fortunate you are to be so picky....

Appreciation of what a real woman looks like? Good on you, dude!

Bad news guys...most of you will likely have to settle for someone who DOESN'T look like Kate Moss...
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

BigOrange

Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:25 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 40):

Nothing wrong with that is there Larry??

Superfly

Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:41 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 35):
Oh please, spare me the sad face!

You damn Canadian!

I've already been crowned Honorary Canadian by Geddy Lee & Alex Lifeson.  
Canadians are Americans too, just nicer.  
It might sound silly but big people in the US just appear to be much larger than big people in other countries. I bet the average weight of a canadian like yourself Superfly is great than the average weight of an NZ male.

I don't waste my time checking out other dudes.
Although I have not been to Australia or New Zealand, I've seen plenty drunken Aussies when I travel and they're the same size as Americans. Of all the Aussie & New Zealander chicks I've banged, they've all been between size 14-16.
That's not exactly petite.

Quoting SlimShady (Reply 37):
Luckily I married a latin gal with curves in all the right places. Still curvy after all these years and three kids.

Lucky you!     
The waif thing never did anything for me, I was always afraid I might break them in half.

Same here. I really hate bones!
When I see rib cages and collar bones, that is a total turn off. High cheekbones and pointy witchlike noses are a huge turn off too.

Quoting kmh1956 (Reply 41):
For all the posters who put down the girls/ladies/women with curves...please post your own photographs, so that we can all see what Adonis' you all are and how fortunate you are to be so picky....

Good point kmh1956!
I find it ironic that the most vocal anti-voluptuous poster here has never posted in photo in any of the self pictures thread. Yet he is so quick o judge others.

Appreciation of what a real woman looks like? Good on you, dude!

Thanks.  
Bad news guys...most of you will likely have to settle for someone who DOESN'T look like Kate Moss...

It's usually the skinny girls that hit on me.

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 42):
Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 40):

Nothing wrong with that is there Larry??

Too much tummy.
Bring back the Concorde

kmh1956

Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:23 am

Does anyone remember the Body Shop advertising campaign:
"There are 3 billion women who don't look like supermodels and only 8 who do"

Truer words have never been spoken. I have a thing taped to my desk that say "T'd rather be a role model than a super model". One of the greatest sex ymbols of our time,Marilyn Monroe, was a size 12-14...and nobody ever called her fat.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 43):
I find it ironic that the most vocal anti-voluptuous poster here has never posted in photo in any of the self pictures thread. Yet he is so quick o judge others.

You've posted your pics..I've posted mine (though I'm not into women!!)...makes you wonder...doesn't it? These guys must be absolutely GORGEOUS specimens of humanity to be so choosy.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

D L X

Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:18 am

The problem with the word Voluptuous though is that it has too many, er, um....broad meanings

No, the problem is FATTIES calling themselves curvy or voluptuous. NO! You ain't "curvy," yo ass if fat. With an F.

But hey, own it! I'm not looking for you, but there are those that are. And I'm not going to suddenly change my mind just because you called yourself curvy instead of fatty.

Hah! Don't act like you're the only man that likes curves.

You should take responsibility for fat girls calling themselves "curvy" or "voluptuous" though. You could end that. It is within your power. All you gotta do is show that there are men that like that, so they stop lying to me about how they're not fat.

Superfly

Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:21 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 45):
the problem is FATTIES calling themselves curvy or voluptuous. NO! You ain't "curvy," yo ass if fat. With an F.

I agree, the term 'voluptuous' has been bastardized.
Bring back the Concorde

andz

Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:30 am

except Salma Hayek, she's just got massive tits

Salma does not have massive tits, she is perfectly proportioned and has been my dream woman for many years.

I think she is just flawlessly gorgeous!

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

4holer

Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:20 am

Ahhhh... The fair Miss Ashley Richardson.
One of my faves from back in the day, though I haven't thought of her in years.

A much younger version of me once completely forgot to breathe for several minutes during my first viewing of that John Cougar Mellencamp video she danced in.

edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqJMbbfJJT8

[Edited 2010-03-05 20:55:19]
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

mirrodie
Topic Author

Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:38 am

Quoting SlimShady (Reply 34):
I got a photo of a real gem of a lady at Disneyland last month, at least 5'4", 300 lbs, gobbling up an ice cream cone like there was no tomorrow. (nom nom nom nom).....how do do people just not care about what they look like or their health????

Oh my Lord, why would you take such a photo? Egads!

Same here. I love a shapely curvaceous woman. Like Slim below, I am a lucky guy. Gosh, I even had the same thought about breaking in half.

just right. Luckily I married a latin gal with curves in all the right places. Still curvy after all these years and three kids. The waif thing never did anything for me, I was always afraid I might break them in half.

Alright but I dont think I've put anyone down, have I? I'll show you mine from the snowstorm a few weeks ago.

Hope you enjoy....

[Edited 2010-03-05 20:39:24]