BlueElephant
Topic Author

F1 2010: Bahrain Grand Prix

Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:42 pm

Hello all,

As our second off season thread has surpassed 300 posts and the first race is this weekend, I thought it would be fitting to begin our Race threads here.

This year we'll have 24 cars on the grid with 12 teams, a number of new drivers, and a 19 race calendar, with Korea being a new circuit, and Bahrain, Britian and Singapore having revised circuits.

As always it is advisable for the person opening the thread to provide a link to a lap around the circuit, and possibly give his/her top 5 or top 10 drivers.

So here goes nothing:

As this year Bahrain is having a new layout, we don't have an onboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Ja5OzpB7s
So Mark Webber in a simulator will have to do.

BlueElephant's Top 10 picks.

1. Alonso
2. Hamilton
3. Massa
4. Vettel
5. Schumacher
6. Button
7. Rosberg
8. Webber
9. Kubica
10. Kobayashi

Other F1 News:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto..._one/drivers_and_teams/default.stm
Driver and Team information here.

http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsport/story/10314.html
McLaren's radical rear wing is under scrutiny.

GO Hamilton and McLaren!

MadameConcorde

RE: F1 2010: Bahrain Grand Prix

Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:02 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Thread starter):
http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsport/story/10314.html
McLaren's radical rear wing is under scrutiny.

GO Hamilton and McLaren!

The McLaren new car and the rear wing design are genius.
I can't wait until I see the cars for real in Monaco and see it performing on the track.

The FIA always has some budge with McLaren.  Wow!

Wish I could be in Bahrain to see the race.

Twenty F1 World Champions are going to be there and there will be 4 World Champions in the race Schumi, Alonso, Jenson Button and Hammy.

I must start thinking of getting some goodies for the signatures in Monaco, not any old piece of paper or picture or even a program. I need to think of better things!

Last year I had my First to Fly the A380 and Concorde special Tshirt signed by Hammy. He had a good look at it before he signed it. Not his usual signature item. I don't think I will come up with something as original this year.

I am really looking forward to this first race and the qualifying sessions - the whole thing!

Edited to add this link.

Follow the Fifth Driver on Twitter
I am leaving for Bahrain tomorrow!!!! Bag is packed with new track kit, new travel clothes, new luggage!!

http://twitter.com/TheFifthDriver

[Edited 2010-03-08 10:53:37]
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

bill142

Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:12 am

Looking forward to seeing things getting back on track despite things being a bit of a joke already with USF1 failing to make it and Campos or hispania or whatever they want to be called now having no testing and almost not making it.

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 1):
The FIA always has some budge with McLaren.

Actually other teams have requested the FIA look at the wing.

LTU932

Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:28 am

Quoting bill142 (Reply 2):
Looking forward to seeing things getting back on track despite things being a bit of a joke already with USF1 failing to make it and Campos or hispania or whatever they want to be called now having no testing and almost not making it.

I don't think USF1 will ever make it into F1, not next season, nor any other season. For me, it was a failed attempt at making F1 popular in the US again, but we all know that the US market mostly just cares about Indycar and NASCAR. Besides, even I know that F1 isn't as popular as it used to be thanks to its overregulation.

I just hope the circuit in Bahrain will bring some more action, which I also demand now with the refuelling ban.

GrahamHill

Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:47 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 3):
I just hope the circuit in Bahrain will bring some more action

Not really the best track for it...
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

B747forever

Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:50 pm

Finally the new season will begin after a very long winter!

It will be a very exciting season with a lot of new drivers and teams. Will be really interesting to see how Schumacher will perform and also how Massa and Alonso will work together and if they will come along. It will also be interesting to see how Button will perform this season with McLaren and how his team mate, Hamilton will do.

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 4):
Quoting LTU932 (Reply 3):
I just hope the circuit in Bahrain will bring some more action

Not really the best track for it...

Correct. The Bahrain GP is usually "boring" because of all the testing occurring there during the year.

Can not wait until Sunday!
Work Hard, Fly Right

waterpolodan

Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:08 pm

Can't wait for the race, other than the fact that I'll be on a cruise for the whole weekend so I won't be able to watch it live     I'll have to record it and stick my head in the sand until I can watch the whole weekend, qualifying and all, when I get back on monday. Blue Elephant, looks like you and I have almost the same hunch about the results, here are my top 5 from the preseason thread that I predicted a couple weeks ago-
1.Massa
2. Hamilton
3. Alonso
4. Schumacher
5. Webber

If I were to extend that into a top 10, here's what it would look like-

6. Button
7. Vettel
8. Sutil
9. Kubica
10. Rosberg

EZEIZA

Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:47 pm

Quoting waterpolodan (Reply 6):

1.Massa
2. Hamilton
3. Alonso
4. Schumacher
5. Webber
Quoting BlueElephant (Thread starter):

1. Alonso
2. Hamilton
3. Massa

I hope your predictions come true 
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

LTU932

Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:59 pm

In any case, I'm not watching the match because I'm going to the Stadium on Sunday, watch St. Pauli against Oberhausen. I still hope Vettel can win this one.

MadameConcorde

Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:52 pm

I will be so happy to see them all racing again, never mind if the track is "boring" or not. The essential is that they will all be there and racing and there we go again with time differences with our own countries.

I have not looked what time the race will be in UK time/Central Europe time.

The same with the practices and qualifyings... and think of all the new rules... is there a clear nad concise summary anywhere?

Edited:

Check this one out... it is really nice!

http://mclaren.com/home

4 days 17 hours and some minutes...  spin 

[Edited 2010-03-09 10:25:42]

aerobalance

Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:59 am

In the modern aero age for GP racing I'm impressed that Ferrari has built a contender with Italian brainpower... Let's see if they can develop it over the season as much as the Brits will with the McLaren...

My predictions for the first race:

1. FA
2. LH
3. SV
4. M$
5. FM
6. JB
7. MW
8. NR
9. RB
10. NH

pole - FA
f. lap - FA
first dnf - Chandhok
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

flood

Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:34 pm

I see previous doubts about Schumacher's return have already been tossed aside, with some now placing him in the top 5 for the opening race 

In my (rather bias) opinion, I can see him making the podium. He looks to be in great shape and his times are looking good too - with Ross mentioning a major upgrade for Bahrain.

I would laugh my ass off if he were to make pole.

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 9):
The same with the practices and qualifyings... and think of all the new rules... is there a clear nad concise summary anywhere?
http://www.formula1.com/ has a countdown on their homepage as well, along with the all various times for practice, etc.
As for changes, they've provided a summary here:
http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/ru...lations/sporting_regulations/8692/

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 8):
I'm going to the Stadium on Sunday, watch St. Pauli against Oberhausen.

Oberwho? If you were at least going to see HSV I'd forgive you  

MadameConcorde

Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:13 am

Quoting flood (Reply 11):
I would laugh my ass off if he were to make pole.

Everything is possible. We won't know for sure until we find out.

I see Hammy making pole with Kobayashi not very far behind him.  

bill142

Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:36 am

Quoting B747forever (Reply 5):
Correct. The Bahrain GP is usually "boring" because of all the testing occurring there during the year.

Virtually no testing happens at Bahrain. Maybe one pre-season test in the pre-testing restriction years.

aerorobnz

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:35 am

I think Vettel will be good this year. Hoping Michael will prevail at season end.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

GrahamHill

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:45 am

Quoting aerorobNZ (Reply 14):
Hoping Michael will prevail at season end.

I hope not. I just hope he will not succeed at all and retires at the end of the season. I've been suffering his presence for the last 20 years now, and here he comes again? Man, leave me alone! Stay away!!

Stealthz

Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:02 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 12):
Kobayashi not very far behind him.

Not sure he will be fighting for front row grid spots early on but there seem to be several people with opinions about the Sauber's gentle treatment of it's tyres that could see it spring surprises late in races.

Dammit, someone else is writing my comments for me!!!

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 15):
I hope not. I just hope he will not succeed at all and retires at the end of the season. I've been suffering his presence for the last 20 years now, and here he comes again? Man, leave me alone! Stay away!!

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

BlueElephant
Topic Author

Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:00 pm

It seems that the FIA has declared the rear wing legal. Some have said it as a "Simple but brilliant trick"

I'm very intrigued by this concept, as far as I understand it. The driver (HAM or BUT) can control the flow of air to the rear wing using his knee. When the knee is in a non braking position (a straight) air flows through the engine inlets and through the shark fin to stall the rear wing giving the Car a boost of 5-10kph advantange in the straight. And while braking (a corner) the air is blocked and the rear wing provides the needed downforce.

Does anyone else have any information?...did I summerize it accurately?

If the Internet rumors are true, then McLaren has developed on this concept for years, and a copy wouldn't be that easy.

MadameConcorde

Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:58 pm

I am extremely curious of the new MP4-25 and all the peculiarities about it. I will not miss the time when I can be at the garages during the Monaco GP. I will be spending as much time there as I am possibly allowed and take pictures of everything I can get.

I was thinking one thing... How could I get an official reporter pass to report the Monaco GP for the A.net forum?
Any idea if there is any possibility of getting any sponsoship of sorts from A.net to request a media pass?    

We already talked about this last year and even the year before. It would make life a lot easier during the GP and grant me access to the cars outside of racing time.

Any suggestions will be most welcome. Possible or not possible is a different story. The forum would certainly benefit from it and I could re-do the same at Monza. I don't want to take my hopes too high but as they say if you don't ask = you don't get.   

EZEIZA

Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:18 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 18):
Any idea if there is any possibility of getting any sponsoship of sorts from A.net to request a media pass?

I'd guess that you should get in touch with DM about this?

MadameConcorde

Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:46 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 19):
I'd guess that you should get in touch with DM about this?

I would have to go through the head moderator. I don't know who he is.
I guess if they do this one time then more people will make the same request so maybe it won't happen.
Worthwile trying though... can you imagine... all the GP pictures!!!            

EZEIZA

Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:14 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 20):

but even then, he will need to get DM to go onboard with that, since they own anet.

Worthwile trying though... can you imagine... all the GP pictures!!!

A couple of seasons I had special VIP passes for Interlagos, visiting the the cars, the mechanics, I even had MS five meters from me (but there was too much press in the way). I remember getting an autograph from Villeneuve, and the best part was that I had lunch with no other than Piquet - father and son- 

Stealthz

Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:59 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 21):
I had lunch with no other than Piquet - father and son-

Was Nelsinho invited ... or did he crash the party?  
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

Stealthz

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:23 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 17):
The driver (HAM or BUT) can control the flow of air to the rear wing using his knee. When the knee is in a non braking position (a straight) air flows through the engine inlets and through the shark fin to stall the rear wing giving the Car a boost of 5-10kph advantange in the straight. And while braking (a corner) the air is blocked and the rear wing provides the needed downforce

Do you have a source?
IMO that would be very illegal. The driver is allowed no adjustment of any such device apart from the front wing.

My understanding is that some flow from the airbox intake is dirverted through a gearbox cooler and the outflow from this is directed to an exit nozzle in such a way that at certain speeds it flows over the wing leading edge thus temporarily stalling it.

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 18):
I was thinking one thing... How could I get an official reporter pass to report the Monaco GP for the A.net forum?

Madame, you could try. A few years ago I had endorsement from a reasonably sized and well known publication to apply for press/photo credentials for the AGP in Melbourne and received a very nicely written "thanks but no thanks" letter from the organisers explaining how few media credentials were available from the local GP organisers. The vast majority of passes are issued by the FIA/FOM on an annual basis.
Having said that, good luck, you are most certainly more charming and persuasive than I.

Cheers

cpd

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:34 pm

Quoting stealthz (Reply 23):
IMO that would be very illegal. The driver is allowed no adjustment of any such device apart from the front wing.

That would also be a moving aerodynamic device - which is itself highly illegal.

No - the moderators will be of zero use on this issue (sorry guys). Try Paul (Panam DC10 I think his user name is). He would be much more helpful.

BlueElephant
Topic Author

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:42 pm

Quoting stealthz (Reply 23):
Do you have a source?

My understanding is that some flow from the airbox intake is dirverted through a gearbox cooler and the outflow from this is directed to an exit nozzle in such a way that at certain speeds it flows over the wing leading edge thus temporarily stalling it.
Quoting cpd (Reply 24):
That would also be a moving aerodynamic device - which is itself highly illegal.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81997
A good Explanation can be found here......

and....

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81990
The FIA deemed it legal.

I think I was mistaken in the process behind it. To be honest i'm still confused.

GrahamHill

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:01 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 25):

These engineers never cease to amaze me!

Stealthz

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:17 pm

Thanks Blue, I had missed that and the Autosport explanation differs somewhat to that given at Formula1.com

Still not convinced of the legality of the driver influencing the airflow in such a way, I expect protests along the way as other teams come to understand the workins of the thing!

GrahamHill

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:20 pm

Yes, there is something dodgy going on. But if the FIA said it was legal, then I would advise the other teams to start working on that system right away.

Stealthz

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:46 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 28):
But if the FIA said it was legal,

They have said that about things before that never made it to the second race... anyone remember flexible floors??

Cheers

PS It seems strange sitting here in Sydney on the Friday of the first GP weekend, by now we would normally be trackside at Albert Park having consumed the a round of Jam Doughnuts and coffee, likely be considering the first beer of the day!

flood

Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:52 am

Unfortunately, I don't see the FIA issuing a press pass to a non-professional, shooting for an online forum primarily dedicated to aviation enthusiasts   They are incredibly protective of their brand and their guidelines for accreditation are some of the strictest in the industry:
http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre...ion/Pages/PrinciplesProcedure.aspx

The FIA deemed it legal.

Thanks for the links. Interesting developments just a handful of hours before the first practice session.

The whole thing may be a bit dodgy, but I tend to see it as a loophole as no aerodynamic surfaces are moved and nothing is being physically adjusted on the car itself. It's merely the drivers' legs which by clever means alter the airflow over these surfaces.

My only gripe is my team didn't think of this first, lol... and from what I gather, the other teams are not permitted to modify the safety cell once the season has started.

On another note, more information on Ferrari's unique wheel as previously discussed. According to James Allen:
"In a similar vein, Ferrari has also slipped in a clever idea which no-one can fully copy. Aerodynamic appendages attached to wheels, which help clean up the air flow, have been banned. But Ferrari has come up with an ingenious idea, involving two crowns on the wheels, which do part of the job the spinners used to do.
They are legal because they are made of the same material as the wheel. Ferrari only put them on the car at the final Barcelona test. And the clever bit is that, as the wheels are now a homologated item (along with the safety cell and crash structures), the other teams can’t change their wheels to adopt this solution!

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com

BlueElephant
Topic Author

Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:54 am

Quoting flood (Reply 30):
Thanks for the links. Interesting developments just a handful of hours before the first practice session.

This has been an issue for weeks...it is a little dodgy, I admit that, but as stated by flood...I don't rightly see it as a movable aero device. Yes the driver alters the airflow, but the same thing could be said if he moved his head or arms around.

But we'll see how it goes on. If this is deemed illegal, so should the Ferrari wheel 'nuts'

These things have been called. "against the spirit of the rules" but "legal"

I'm waiting till they attribute a 'gate' name to this.

flood

Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:11 am

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 31):
"against the spirit of the rules" but "legal"

Yeah, that's a good way to put it. I guess F1 wouldn't be F1 without some controversy.

I'm happy to see speedtv will be broadcasting the 2nd practice session live at 6am EST  

Stealthz

Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:57 am

Quoting flood (Reply 30):
They are legal because they are made of the same material as the wheel.

I am not sure that is enough, unless they are an integral part of the wheel i.e NOT merely attached, they are not legal!

James Allen blows a little bit of his credibility in the attached link when talking about fuel heating in later stages of the race

Quote:
In the days of refuelling, fuel chilled to 10 degrees would be put into the car at a pit stop.

That was not allowed, certainly not in the last several years.

Cheers

flood

Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:42 am

Quoting stealthz (Reply 33):
I am not sure that is enough, unless they are an integral part of the wheel i.e NOT merely attached, they are not legal!

Hey, I was just quoting the article   The official F1 website describes it in much the same way:

"For the 2010 season the FIA have outlawed the carbon fibre wheel fairings that became so popular in 2009. In a move that may be seen as going against the spirit of the regulations (but which has been approved by the FIA), Ferrari have instead incorporated an integral aero device (inset - yellow rings) into the design of their wheel rim. The device is detachable (main drawing), but to be legal it is made from the same material as the rim itself. As wheel rims have to be homologated and can't be changed during the season, Ferrari's rivals will be unable to copy this."
http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2010/0/724.html

So yes, in the eyes of FIA they're legal. Personally, I think if the FIA comes across such components which take advantage of loopholes in the technical guidelines and are "against the spirit of regulations" then these components should either be banned or the other teams should at least be permitted to adapt and implement their own designs during the course of the season. All these regulations regarding "homologated" components of the cars are rather silly imo.

Quoting stealthz (Reply 33):
That was not allowed, certainly not in the last several years.

Thanks for the correction, it was the first time I had heard of this.

Stealthz

Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:51 am

Quoting flood (Reply 34):
Hey, I was just quoting the article

Oh I know and I hope you don't take my replies personally.. we never get personal here(well almost never!!)
Just trying to help you catch up, you've been away a while!  

A note about formula1.com, it is the official site of Formula One Management Limited not the FIA and their articles are often no more authoritive than other publications, their article on the McLaren air duct also seems to be in error(or everything else said or written about it is!).

Back to the wheel issue-

Quoting FIA 2010 F1 Tech Regs:
12.8 Wheel assembly :
12.8.1 The only parts which may be physically attached to the wheel in addition to the tyre are surface treatments for appearance and protection, valves for filling and discharging the tyre, balance weights, drive pegs, tyre pressure and temperature monitoring devices and spacers on the inboard mounting face of identical specification on all wheels for the same axle.

This reads to me that the Ferrari "wheel trims" are against the rules.

Cheers

Chris

P.S. There are some here that will interpret my comments as part of a long standing anti Ferrari/pro McLaren bias but I am equally ambivalent about McLaren's stretching of the rules as well.

[Edited 2010-03-11 23:53:30]

MadameConcorde

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:05 am

It looks like there will be a big battle between McLaren and Ferrari with Alonso.

Practice 1 results at this time: It was the 2 McLarens ahead a few minutes back and now it is the two Ferraris.
I suspect this will keep changing through the day as practice keeps going..

1 Spain F Alonso Ferrari
2 Brazil F Massa Ferrari
3 Great Britain J Button McLaren
4 Great Britain L Hamilton McLaren
5 Italy V Liuzzi Force India
6 Poland R Kubica Renault
7 Germany N Rosberg Mercedes GP
8 Australia M Webber Red Bull
9 Germany N Hulkenberg Williams
10 Germany M Schumacher Mercedes GP

(BBC Sport F1)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8560745.stm

flood

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:37 am

Quoting stealthz (Reply 35):
Oh I know and I hope you don't take my replies personally..

Nah  
Just trying to help you catch up, you've been away a while!

Yeah, and I do appreciate that! Also your note on the formula1.com website - that's good to know - I assumed they were an authoritative source.

Agreed. Makes me wonder if their device is in fact an attachment or could it perhaps be part of the wheel itself? I imagine they could machine such wheels in one piece.

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 36):
It looks like there will be a big battle between McLaren and Ferrari with Alonso.

I never really found the practice times to be indicative of performance under qualifying/racing conditions. There will still be a lot of testing going on, a lot of holding back and cat-and-mouse, running various configs etc... we don't even know what fuel loads they're running. And I don't think we'll be seeing Sutil (who currently holds the fastest time in practice 1) clinch pole position  

MadameConcorde

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:41 am

0830: The flag drops for the end of the session. Senna is fighting with his Hispania car as he battles to get it around the track. Sutil tops the list with Alonso, Kubica, Massa, Button and Hamilton coming in behind. Schumacher is down in 10th with a best time of 1:57.662. Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel is 13th after a 1:57.943. Senna does not set a time as he comes into the pits.

Practice 1 final results

1 Germany A Sutil Force India
2 Spain F Alonso Ferrari
3 Poland R Kubica Renault
4 Brazil F Massa Ferrari
5 Great Britain J Button McLaren
6 Great Britain L Hamilton McLaren
7 Italy V Liuzzi Force India
8 Germany N Rosberg Mercedes GP
9 Australia M Webber Red Bull
10 Germany M Schumacher Mercedes GP
11 Spain J Alguersuari Toro Rosso
12 Germany N Hulkenberg Williams
13 Germany S Vettel Red Bull
14 Switzerland S Buemi Toro Rosso
15 Brazil R Barrichello Williams
16 Russia V Petrov Renault
17 Spain P de la Rosa BMW Sauber
18 Japan K Kobayashi BMW Sauber
19 Finland H Kovalainen Lotus F1
20 Italy J Trulli Lotus F1
21 Germany T Glock Virgin Racing
22 Brazil L di Grassi Virgin Racing
23 Brazil B Senna Hispania Racing F1
24 India K Chandhok Hispania Racing F1

flood

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:42 am

First practice session is over and Senna only got 2 laps in. Chandhock zero. HRT is off to a promising start   

MadameConcorde

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:54 am

I should have gone to Bahrain. I just discovered that the place has a youth hostel, accredited with IYH charging extremely reasonable rates...

only I discovered this much too late... this is good to know for another time if they keep the GPs down there in the Sheikhdom. Would have madee a cheap trip using frequent flyer miles and a lot of fun/excitement guaranteed on site.

http://www.byhs.org.bh/membership.htm

Well there is always next time. You can all take note of this. Gulf countries are not always as costly as we may think they are.

Back to the practice session and the cars. They are all watching for McLarens genius new ideas and how they have built the MP4-25.

BBC Sport's Andrew Benson in Bahrain: "It wouldn't be the start of an F1 season with a technical row, and the debate over an innovation on the McLaren has certainly got rival engineers exercised. It is a lot more than a slot in the rear wing of the car. Actually, air is believed to be taken into the car through a vent in front of the cockpit. It seems it then goes through the car and out of the back of the engine cover. The system - which speculation says can also be influenced by the drivers - affects the airflow to the rear wing, giving the car less drag, and therefore a higher maximum speed, on the straights.".

cpd

Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:22 am

So my guess is that McLaren with its dodgy wing will call for all the other teams to walk out of F1....

Not that it matters to me much - I'm a Mercedes GP supporter. Ferrari and McLaren could be kicked out of F1 and I wouldn't mind.  

Boeing74741R

Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:37 am

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 15):

Presumably you were worried from the 1991 Belgian Grand Prix and was thankful his clutch let him down early on that race.  
Quoting cpd (Reply 41):
So my guess is that McLaren with its dodgy wing will call for all the other teams to walk out of F1....

What will happen is you'll get all the teams flapping about their designs and introducing their own versions in a similar fashion to the flapping over Brawn and two other teams cracking the interpretation of the double diffuser to perfection.

Stealthz

Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:45 am

Quoting cpd (Reply 41):
I'm a Mercedes GP supporter. Ferrari and McLaren could be kicked out of F1 and I wouldn't mind.

Wouldn't Mercedes continual 3rd places to Red Bull seem kind of hollow without McLaren & the Scuderia??   

bill142

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:20 am

The whole wing issue is just jealousy that their designers were unable to come up with the idea first.

GrahamHill

Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:24 am

Quoting flood (Reply 39):
Senna only got 2 laps in

It's weird to hear that name again!

Quoting Boeing74741R (Reply 42):
Presumably you were worried from the 1991 Belgian Grand Prix and was thankful his clutch let him down early on that race

Indeed. But I saw him racing few month before that. I saw him at Le Mans with the Mercedes Junior Team. That's when I heard his name for the first time. I'm not telling you that I hated him already at that time, but I started to dislike him in his early years of F1.

Quoting bill142 (Reply 44):
The whole wing issue is just jealousy that their designers were unable to come up with the idea first.

This reminds me of the diffuser case last year.

MadameConcorde

Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:01 pm

Looking at results they might be 'biased' by the fuel loads.
Wondering how fuelled they all are? Is this going to be published later this evening?
Is it going to stay a secret until tomorrow after qualifyings?
me having no idea with the new rules...    

Stealthz

Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:10 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 46):
Is it going to stay a secret until tomorrow after qualifyings?

The fuel or other settings they run in today's and Saturday's practice sessions are irrelevent to all except the teams concerned and Qualifying will be run on vapours as the fastest config will be needed and cars will be refilled between qualifying and race.

Cheers

MadameConcorde

Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:29 pm

Handsome Pedro and King Kamui my two BMW-Sauber friends are parforming rather well in this afternoon's practice.

They are now on the track so maybe they will better their timings but all will have to do with full-up fueling and how they will do then. I hope they will do much better tomorrow. Go Kamui Go! Go Pedro!

I do not worry about the McLaren boyz. Their car is terrific. I can hardly wait to see the beast in Monaco in May.   

EZEIZA

Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:09 pm

Quoting stealthz (Reply 22):
Was Nelsinho invited ... or did he crash the party?

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 28):
Yes, there is something dodgy going on. But if the FIA said it was legal, then I would advise the other teams to start working on that system right away.

great, a few hours form the first race and already the controversy starts  
Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 36):
Practice 1 results at this time: It was the 2 McLarens ahead a few minutes back and now it is the two Ferraris.
I suspect this will keep changing through the day as practice keeps going..

I never care about practice results. They say nothing at all  
Quoting cpd (Reply 41):
Not that it matters to me much - I'm a Mercedes GP supporter. Ferrari and McLaren could be kicked out of F1 and I wouldn't mind

If McLaren and Ferrari would be out of F1, it would not be F1