KevinL1011

St. Patricks' Day. Irish Profiling.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:45 pm

Ok, give the Irish their special day but why profile everyone named "Patrick" as being Irish? I named my son Patrick and now that he's 28, I find him subject to "Irish Profiling". Every March 17th, the poor kid is subject to stupid remarks like, "So where are you getting drunk at" or "where are you getting in a fight at" on St. Patricks Day. So maybe he has red curly hair, loves beer, potatoes, arguing and skrewing anything warm on two feet, doesn't make it right to be prejudice! This whole St. Patricks Day thing proliferates the misconception that the Irish are nuthin' but a race of drunken, potatoe eating, argumentative, freckle faced, red haired, over sexed, Patrick named lepricauns stealing your lucky charms! It's time we take a stand and dispell this injustice!

Here's to all ye Irish and anyone forsaken with the name Patrick on the 17th.
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

WrenchBender

RE: St. Patricks' Day. Irish Profiling.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:09 pm

Quoting kevinl1011 (Thread starter):
This whole St. Patricks Day thing proliferates the misconception that the Irish are nuthin' but a race of drunken, potatoe eating, argumentative, freckle faced, red haired, over sexed, Patrick named lepricauns stealing your lucky charms!

But it's true     

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

gkirk

Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:16 pm

Ah, to be sure, to be sure  
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

OA260

Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:21 pm

I find him subject to "Irish Profiling". Every March 17th, the poor kid is subject to stupid remarks like, "So where are you getting drunk at" or "where are you getting in a fight at" on St. Patricks Day.

Its certainly not like that in Ireland or the UK. In the USA they seem to go a bit overboard having spent 3 St Patricks Days in Austin/Boston/LA , its quite tacky over there compared to the celebrations in Dublin and more recently London.

kaitak

Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:03 pm

This whole St. Patricks Day thing proliferates the misconception that the Irish are nuthin' but a race of drunken, potatoe eating, argumentative, freckle faced, red haired, over sexed, Patrick named lepricauns stealing your lucky charms! It's time we take a stand and dispell this injustice!

Yes, but we have other qualities too ... although I'm not red-haired - or freckled (or a drinker for that matter), but I do like my spuds! As for argumentatative, I'd challenge anyone to say that I am!

Still, it is interesting that there are actually more German immigrants to the US than Irish immigrants, yet somehow we Irish are the only ones who have their national day celebrated! I think it's great and frankly, the more the merrier! As far as I'm concerned, the whole world gets to be Irish on St. Patrick's Day. Now, if only we could get a few more of those thousands celebrating St. Patrick's Day to take a trip to the old country ... we do need the business!

gkirk

Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:02 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 4):
Still, it is interesting that there are actually more German immigrants to the US than Irish immigrants, yet somehow we Irish are the only ones who have their national day celebrated!

Would you celebrate if you were German?

Nope, didnt think so  
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

OA260

Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:04 pm

Quoting gkirk (Reply 5):

Nope, didnt think so  

Ouch ......  

BMI727

Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:22 pm

The only people who get drunk for St. Patrick's day aren't Irish. Real Irish don't need an excuse.

Quoting gkirk (Reply 5):

You see the occasional Oktoberfest dinner, but those always include sauerkraut, so I would be pleased to see them go.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

AirframeAS

Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:28 pm

Speaking of St. Patrick's Day, what's behind this whole notion behind pinching someone who isn't wearing green on that day. To me, that is stupid and I consider that as a simple assault under the law.

Can anyone explain the rationale behind the pinching??
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Maverick623

Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:29 pm

yet somehow we Irish are the only ones who have their national day celebrated!

Germany calls your one measly day, and raises you 16.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

OA260

Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:45 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 8):
Can anyone explain the rationale behind the pinching??

Another ''American'' tradition. Doesnt happen in Ireland.

The act of pinching on St. Patrick's day began in America with Irish settlers who tried to get their kids to behave by telling them that fairies would come pinch them.

MD11Engineer

Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:17 pm

Quoting WrenchBender (Reply 1):
This whole St. Patricks Day thing proliferates the misconception that the Irish are nuthin' but a race of drunken, potatoe eating, argumentative, freckle faced, red haired, over sexed, Patrick named lepricauns stealing your lucky charms!

But it's true

WrenchBender

No, you are wrong. At least 70% of the irish are called Mick. At least it seemed to me when I lived in Ireland...   
And many are darkhaired, with blue eyes (Celtic influence, for an example see Liz Taylor, she is the type)

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

MD11Engineer

Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:19 pm

Still, it is interesting that there are actually more German immigrants to the US than Irish immigrants, yet somehow we Irish are the only ones who have their national day celebrated!

Well, celebrating German holidays went a bit out of fashion in the US after 1917.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

OA260

Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:39 pm

Maybe they should celebrate the Rugby also as they wont be able to on Good Friday :

The long Good Friday for Irish drinkers

Munster v Leinster is a mouth-watering clash for any rugby fan, but most drinkers in the Irish Republic wanting to toast the Magners League fixture in a bar next month will have to leave the country.
It may be sponsored by a Tipperary cider company, but as the fixture has been scheduled for Good Friday, it has fallen foul of legal laws which prevent the opening of pubs on the Christian holy day.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8557818.stm

eicvd

Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:13 pm

if only we could get a few more of those thousands celebrating St. Patrick's Day to take a trip to the old country ... we do need the business!

Lets just hope they never visit on St.Patricks Day for we shall never see them back here again!
COYBIB

KevinL1011

Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:43 am

Quoting gkirk (Reply 5):

I'm half German, half Irish. Talk about being genetically pre-disposed to drink and argue.! At least my German half cleans up the mess afterward.

Quoting eicvd (Reply 14):
Lets just hope they never visit on St.Patricks Day for we shall never see them back here again!

Wow, I'll bet there's nothing worse than a bunch of drunken American tourists visiting a Pub in Ireland. You should put up posters all over town advertising half price drinks after 8pm in Belfast.

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 12):

Well, celebrating German holidays went a bit out of fashion in the US after 1917.

And even more so after 1947.   
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

ACDC8

Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:38 pm

Our typical traditon on St.Paddy's Day has been to go to Kelly O's for dinner and a pint or two, having been cursed with the name Patrick, my parents make the experience hell year after year  

Personally, St. Paddy's Day is one of my favourtie days of the year, I love the colour green, I love to drink beer and I love to eat. Plus its one of the few days a year you can actually mention the word "alcohol" with out offending someone.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

shamrock321

Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:20 pm

Americans have St Patricks day all wrong! If Im in work on Paddys day I see the US flights coming in and the Americans are dressed in green and think its all great etc, but its not such a big deal with us!

Im Irish my hair is more blonde, Ive got freckles, love beer, eats spuds alot but whats with the fighting? Its them across the water that do most of the fighting!