mNeo
Topic Author

Power Of Attorney To Purchase A Car?

Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:42 am

I have a question for any legal/car people in this forum. I have done a bit of research on google, but nothing has quite answered my question.

My father wants to purchase a car, but hes really not into going to the dealerships and wasting his time. Is it possible to use this notarized letter to purchase a car under his name. Im saying he has a loan ready for the car, i would just need to go to the dealership and sign the agreement for him and then take the car.

PS: we are in different states, so i do no know if that makes a difference
Powered by Maina

asuflyer05

RE: Power Of Attorney To Purchase A Car?

Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:50 am

Generally no. Your dad can complete the transaction over the phone. He can fill out the finance application on the Internet. Then have the dealership FedEx docs and then he shows up to pick up the car or have it shipped.

Buying a car is as difficult a process as he wants to make it.

L-188

Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:43 am

Quoting asuflyer05 (Reply 1):

Generally no. Your dad can complete the transaction over the phone. He can fill out the finance application on the Internet. Then have the dealership FedEx docs and then he shows up to pick up the car or have it shipped.

I am going to disagree with that. I am pretty sure you can get a power of attorney to do that.

I don't remember how my mom did it when we sold my grandmothers van from her estate to my brother who was on deployent in Kosovo. I want to say ti was a power of attorney deal but don't hold me to that.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

asuflyer05

Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:48 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 2):
I don't remember how my mom did it when we sold my grandmothers van from her estate to my brother who was on deployent in Kosovo. I want to say ti was a power of attorney deal but don't hold me to that.

Your mother was the executor of the estate and had a power of attorney to do so. It's different when someone is purchasing a car and there is a loan involved.

ManuCH
Crew

Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:58 am

Quoting asuflyer05 (Reply 1):
Your dad can complete the transaction over the phone. He can fill out the finance application on the Internet. Then have the dealership FedEx docs and then he shows up to pick up the car or have it shipped.

In this process, the original poster can be the one who picks up the car and basically "ships" it to his dad. He would probably need a PoA to pick it up, or the dealer may not hand him the keys.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

swissy

Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:46 pm

That is how we got our Subi... I went out and did all the leg work the wife paid in cash for it and the car is in her name, she never went to the dealership   for any paper work but she paid cash for it...

Did it twice way back when I still was in the CH, purchased my Golfs over the phone and transfered the money to them and my dad signed and p/u the cars... however we were dealing with that dealership for 3 generations (AMAG) so I guess that helps too...

Cheerios,