MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Large Hadron Collider To Shut Down Safety Concerns

Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:46 am

The damage that occurred in 2008 took 14 months to repair

A director at the Large Hadron Collider in Geneva has told BBC News that some mistakes were made in construction.
Dr Steve Myers said these faults will delay the machine reaching its full potential for two years.

The atom smasher will reach world record power later this month at 7 trillion electron volts (TeV) but the machine must close at the end of 2011 for up to a year for work to make the tunnel safe for proton collisions planned at twice that level.

The machine only recently restarted after being out of action for 14 months following an accident in September 2008.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8556621.stm

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Francoflier

RE: Large Hadron Collider To Shut Down Safety Concerns

Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:34 pm

Frustrating.

But then this IS the most complex machine in the world.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

NoWorries

Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:59 pm

Every colider is a unique machine -- there's a certain amount of learning and tweaking. The second largest colider (Tevatron at Fermilab) had quite a few problems when it first started.

Operating only at half-power will still give scientests a chance to test the "other half" of the machine -- all of the detctors which is where all of the discoveries will occur.

Also, there is a bit of race between the Tevatron and the LHC to discover the Higgs boson first -- running at half power is still quite a bit more energetic than the Tevatron and might give the LHC bragging rights if they happen to find it.

bhill

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:00 pm

Hubble anyone.....................?
Carpe Pices

sw733

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:21 pm

Quoting bhill (Reply 3):
Hubble anyone.....................?

Hubble seemed like more of a "nice job, dumb ass" scenario than this...at least to me.

L-188

Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:12 am

Quoting francoflier (Reply 1):

Is this the same machine that got shut down because some bird dropped an old bagel into it?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

MD-90

Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:04 am

Quoting francoflier (Reply 1):

I dunno, is it more complex than the Space Shuttle?

Mudboy

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:50 am

Isn't this the machine that creates a black hole, and could potentially destroy the world, if it malfuntioned?

Klaus

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:55 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 6):
I dunno, is it more complex than the Space Shuttle?

By very, very far.

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 7):
Isn't this the machine that creates a black hole, and could potentially destroy the world, if it malfuntioned?

No. It does that when it's functioning properly!

AverageUser

Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:24 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 8):

No. It does that when it's functioning properly!

Let's hope it will some day for the face of European science partnership to be saved.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...%27s_most_expensive_single_objects

[Edited 2010-03-11 04:41:12]

sw733

Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:34 pm

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 6):
is it more complex than the Space Shuttle?

The Space Shuttle is so old that it's not as complex by todays standards as if it were, say, 1987. Could you or I build one? Hell no...but, first flight of Columbia was 1981...even the newest, Endeavour, first flew in 1992. Even with upgrades (specifically to glass cockpit, which isn't all that impressive these days), they're pretty old and worn out.

aerobalance

Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:27 pm

Pure money pit - throw some more at it!
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

StarAC17

Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:03 pm

This is necessarily a funny matter but I think I can fix this thing.

Signed

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/8000000/Dr-Sheldon-Cooper-The-Guy-the-big-bang-theory-8053333-750-600.jpg
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

comorin

Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:12 pm

Even unrepaired, at 7TeV the LHC is an impressive machine and a remarkable achievement. It's now the world's most powerful accelerator by a factor of 2. There's good science coming out of it already, and even at 7TeV there's a chance to spot the Higgs Boson.

The money was well spent and diverted from other forms of useless spending. Look at the brilliant payoff from Hubble, for example.

Folks, 2 years is just an instant in terms of Man's history. Physics has come to a stop until we find out about Dark Matter. If you want a future in which we can wear anti-gravity suits and traipse across the Universe, support this effort!

Be patient, and all will be revealed...

akiss20

Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:26 pm

Quoting aerobalance (Reply 11):
Pure money pit - throw some more at it!

Its total cost is around 6 billion dollars. Considering it is a multi-national effort between some of the richest western nations and considering how much we waste on defense, I think the tiny fraction it is getting is more than justifiable.
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

NoWorries

Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:47 pm

It's a lot of money to spend -- but there are unaswered questions that can only be answered with higher amounts of energy. Ironically, the answers might be negative -- for example, the Higgs might never be found, or some other flaw is found in the Standard Model. Sure, it's a high price to pay for additional information (negative or positive) -- but the alternative is to stop asking questions.

Flighty

Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:24 pm

What was the movie when the villain uses gouged-out eyes to get around the LHC? It was funny... in a morbid way.

sw733

Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:14 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 16):
What was the movie when the villain uses gouged-out eyes to get around the LHC?

Angels and Demons, I think

yyzala

Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:24 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Thread starter):
but the machine must close at the end of 2011 for up to a year

So we are looking at December 21, 2012 for it to reopen?  

DocLightning

Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:09 am

Quoting YYZALA (Reply 18):

How many universe-ending black holes are safe?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Silver1SWA
Crew

Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:31 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Thread starter):
but the machine must close at the end of 2011 for up to a year

lol You beat me to it!
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

sw733

Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:11 pm

With all these earthquakes, we'll be lucky if the planet makes it to December 21, 2010!

kaitak

Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:31 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 13):
Dark Matter

Is this the same as anti-matter?

Quoting NoWorries (Reply 2):
the Higgs boson first

What's this?

Sorry, physics wasn't ever my strong suit at school, but I do have some appreciation of the beauty of all of this kind of sciency stuff (stop me if I'm getting too technical).

comorin

Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:27 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 22):
Quoting comorin (Reply 13):
Dark Matter

Is this the same as anti-matter?

No. Nobody knows what it is except that it is there. It's existence is postulated based on the rate of expansion of the Universe. There is a huge amount of it but we can't see or detect it. Physicists are saying that if we have no clue about this stuff, which is 96% of the known Universe, then how much do we really understand anything?

Getting back to the LHC, the quest is on for the Holy Grail - the Higgs Boson. This is the particle that gives other particles the property of Mass.

All this is extremely hard to understand, even for PhDs. Our human existence is a macro level experience, and most of particle physics is just bits of equations or kluges necessary to fit a theory.

My interest in this is the application of this knowledge - exciting, even if not within my lifetime.

wolbo

Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:23 am

Here's a great photo gallery on the LHC which gives a good impression of the complexity and scale of the project. Amazing they get it to work at all.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/200...arge_hadron_collider_ready_to.html

NoWorries

Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:40 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 22):
Quoting NoWorries (Reply 2):
the Higgs boson first

What's this?

Sorry, physics wasn't ever my strong suit at school, but I do have some appreciation of the beauty of all of this kind of sciency stuff (stop me if I'm getting too technical).

Special relativity tells us that mass and energy are just two expressions of the same thing -- mass has an energy equivalence and energy has a mass equivalence. It turns out that particles like the proton and the neutron are composite -- made up of quarks bound together by gluons. The quarks have very low rest mass, and the gluons have no rest mass (just like photons) -- yet the protons and neutrons have quite a bit of mass -- that mass is mostly the energy that holds them toegther. Most mass in the universe is actually bound energy in some form. The big mystery is that the fundamental particles (leptons such as the electron and the neutrino) and the quraks (that make up the hadrons) are point particles -- they are fundamental and have no constituent parts -- so the big question is where do these fundamental particles get their mass if they have no energetically interacting components?

It is believed that they get their mass by energetically interacting with the Higgs field, not totally unlike the way that say an electron intects with an electric field. The "force" carrier of the electric field is the photon (a boson) -- the "force" carrier of the Higgs field is the Higgs boson. However, the analogy is weak in many reepcts; there are major difference between photons and the Higgs.

[Edited 2010-03-16 05:58:38]

wolbo

Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:54 pm

Large Hadron Collider smashes energy record again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8576545.stm

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:10 pm

Quoting wolbo (Reply 26):
Large Hadron Collider smashes energy record again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/n...5.stm

I love the Large Hadron Collider.

LHC

Concorde
SR-71
Space Shuttle

McLaren MP4-25

The QE2

The fastest each one in their own category.         

jacobin777

Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:30 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 23):
etting back to the LHC, the quest is on for the Holy Grail - the Higgs Boson. This is the particle that gives other particles the property of Mass

...of interest, even the Higgs Boson might not be the "Holy Grail"..

"The Higgs boson mass is subject to large quantum corrections, which makes it difficult to understand how its mass can be less than a TeV as required by theory. In addition, the Standard Model does not provide an answer to fundamental questions like the values of free parameters of the model, the pending integration of gravity or the evolution of the coupling constants of the fundamental forces at large energy regimes. Hence there are strong reasons to believe that the Standard Model is only a low-energy approximation to a more fundamental theory"

http://www.osti.gov/bridge/product.biblio.jsp?osti_id=907802

Quoting wolbo (Reply 24):
Here's a great photo gallery on the LHC which gives a good impression of the complexity and scale of the project. Amazing they get it to work at all.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/200....html

...holy cow..thanks for the link....what a thing of beauty!

[Edited 2010-03-21 08:49:07]
"Up the Irons!"

NoWorries

Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:34 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 28):
"The Higgs boson mass is subject to large quantum corrections, which makes it difficult to understand how its mass can be less than a TeV as required by theory. In addition, the Standard Model does not provide an answer to fundamental questions like the values of free parameters of the model, the pending integration of gravity or the evolution of the coupling constants of the fundamental forces at large energy regimes. Hence there are strong reasons to believe that the Standard Model is only a low-energy approximation to a more fundamental theory"

Appears to be someone's dissertation -- the quoted text is a teaser and the payoff immediately follows:

"One of the best studied candidates for an extension of the Standard Model is supersymmetry, which predicts the existence of a supersymmetric partner for each fundamental particle that differs only in spin ... "

The Higgs mechanism is often seen as the last major piece of the Standard Model. However, the Higgs mechanism only explains how fundamental particles might obtain mass, but doesn't explain why the masses are what they are. That and a variety of other problems are causing them to look for the next step beyond the standard model and this thesis is examining data collected at the Fermilab Tevatron for some signs of supersymmetry -- the author didn't find any -- if he had he might have been up for a Nobel prize.

What's interesting about supersymmetry is not only that it is often seen as an extension to the standard model, but most String theories also require supersymmetry (in fact without signs of supersymmetry many think that String theory is untenable -- some think it's untenable with or without supersymmetry).

So, in addition to looking for the Higgs, LHC will be looking for supersymmetry as well.

If neither Higgs nor SUSY shows up there's going to be a lot of collective head scratching.

comorin

Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:54 pm

Quoting NoWorries (Reply 25):

That is an excellent explanation - you sure know your stuff   

Jacobin777, I will defer to NoWorries as this thread is going above my pay grade! Like the rest of us, I'm hoping that LHC will unlock Nature's secrets for the benefit of Mankind! It's disappointing for me to have the privilege of associating with some of the brightest minds in the world, and then seeing them head off to Wall Street...what a colossal waste of talent.

Like many of my age, I remember the thrill when I first read Feynman's Lectures in Physics - what beauty! I hope a new generation will aim for the stars instead of trying to land a job at Google or Goldman Sachs.

NoWorries

Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:09 am

Quoting comorin (Reply 30):
I remember the thrill when I first read Feynman's Lectures in Physics - what beauty! I

A true master. For anyone looking for a basic introduction to the Standard Model, his most notable book for the layman, "QED The Strange Theory of Light and Matter" is very readable, but requires a lot of focus -- I found myself constantly backing up and rereading various sections. QED is the first cornerstone of the Standard Model laid independently by Feynman, Schwinger, and Tomonaga -- for which they shared the Nobel. The remaining parts (QCD and electoweak) came later -- though I can't really think of a good layman's book in those areas that is comparable to the QED book.

[Edited 2010-03-21 17:11:03]

jacobin777

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:45 pm

Quoting NoWorries (Reply 29):
What's interesting about supersymmetry is not only that it is often seen as an extension to the standard model, but most String theories also require supersymmetry (in fact without signs of supersymmetry many think that String theory is untenable -- some think it's untenable with or without supersymmetry)

True, true indeed. Its been about 20 years since I studied quantum mechanics/quantum chemistry.

Quoting NoWorries (Reply 29):
If neither Higgs nor SUSY shows up there's going to be a lot of collective head scratching

...that's for sure, it would certainly throw a bit of a "wrench" about the Standard Model. Of course, things do tend to get "screwy" when it comes to sub-molecular/quantum physics/chemistry..  

Quoting NoWorries (Reply 31):
Quoting comorin (Reply 30):
I remember the thrill when I first read Feynman's Lectures in Physics - what beauty! I

A true master.

"Up the Irons!"

comorin

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:08 pm

Quoting NoWorries (Reply 31):
"QED The Strange Theory of Light and Matter" is very readable, but requires a lot of focus -- I found myself constantly backing up and rereading various sections.

I've been looking for a good read on the subject so thanks for the suggestion. I hope I have few gray cells left! Also looking for a good intro to Particle Physics.

Good news is tomorrow (Tuesday the 30th) LHC will perform it first collision at 3.5TeV! Good luck to all at CERN!

wolbo

Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:46 am

Quoting comorin (Reply 33):
I've been looking for a good read on the subject so thanks for the suggestion. I hope I have few gray cells left! Also looking for a good intro to Particle Physics.

Not a book but this is a nice introduction on the LHC and particle physics.

NoWorries

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:25 am

Quoting comorin (Reply 33):
I hope I have few gray cells left!

I'm convinced that if I don't keep using them, I will lose them.

Quoting wolbo (Reply 34):
Also looking for a good intro to Particle Physics.

Hawking's book -- A Brief History of Time -- is a great read -- but it is very basic. I can't recall for sure, but I don't think he even uses the terms momentum and angular momentum -- makes for a convoluted read in a few places. Also, it's not just about QM; it also covers relativity and black hole thermodynamics, his specialty. The 1995 edition is an update of the original, but dark energy was only beginning to be discussed when it was released, so he doesn't cover that topic -- the fact that the universe now appears to be expanding at an accelerating rate.

Somewhat more advanced and more focused on QM is The Quantum World by Kenneth Ford. I think this is a great read as well -- my only minor complaint is that he'll casually mention something that seems innocuous but is in fact, very profound, but he does not always point that out. It's not a long book, but he covers a lot of ground. One key idea in QM is the uncertainty principle, another is superposition -- he does a decent job of introducing those two central notions.

Yellowstone

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:45 am

Not a book but this is a nice introduction on the LHC and particle physics.

Darn, I was about to post that.

Quoting comorin (Reply 23):
No. Nobody knows what it is except that it is there. It's existence is postulated based on the rate of expansion of the Universe. There is a huge amount of it but we can't see or detect it. Physicists are saying that if we have no clue about this stuff, which is 96% of the known Universe, then how much do we really understand anything?

Elaborating on this a bit... Dark matter is actually fairly easy to "discover," in the sense that you can easily show that something massive must be there. Zwicky came up with the idea in 1934 in response to observations of galaxy movements in clusters that didn't add up - there was some extra mass there helping to bind the cluster, but it wasn't in the observable galaxies. Likewise, you can show that spiral galaxies (including our own!) don't rotate the way they should if their mass is concentrated in the galactic disk. Instead, the disk is embedded in a sphere of mass - dark matter! Of course, no one knows what the stuff is, but it's out there, and there's 5 times as much of it as the matter we can see.

Now here's the weird thing... It was thought for quite a while that the universe's expansion should be slowing, as gravity works to bind the universe together. There was lots of debate over whether the expansion would slow fast enough to lead to a Big Crunch, or if the universe would keep expanding forever. However, in 1998, researchers found that the expansion of the universe was accelerating. Enter dark energy, a mysterious force that is driving the universe apart. We've got even less of a clue as to what dark energy is, but it makes up 74 percent of all the mass-energy in the universe.

One candidate for dark energy is something called a cosmological constant, which represents the (theoretical) energetic cost of having a given volume of pure vacuum. But there's one little problem... Experimental data puts the value of the cosmological constant at 10^-29 grams per cubic centimeter (a very small number, and quite hard to measure). In reduced Planck units (Wiki it), this equals 10^-120. But particle physics says that the cosmological constant (again in reduced Planck units) should be 1. To give you a sense of how far off that estimate is - if every atom of coal that we can mine out of the earth using current technology was a copy of the visible universe, and you added together all the subatomic particles in all those universes, that's how far off the prediction is from the reality.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

comorin

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:39 am

Thank you wolbo and Yellowstone! I wil definitely read that.

Quoting NoWorries (Reply 35):
Hawking's book -- A Brief History of Time -- is a great read -- but it is very basic.

I found it a little difficult to read without the background Math. I will put your other recommendation (Ford) on my list!

It's great to meet so many learned people on a.net   .

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 36):
Elaborating on this a bit... Dark matter is actually fairly easy to "discover,"

Interesting post! I was lucky enough to attend a talk by George Smoot NL on this topic. I wonder if the horn antenna at Bell Labs is still around!

akiss20

Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:05 am

A classic higher level text for quantum mechanics and string theory is "Road to Reality" by Roger Penrose. It does require a good background in multi-variable calculus, most likely some linear algebra, and good working knowledge of tensors. I am trying to work myself through it very slowly when I have time now that I have taken at least the multi-variable foundation.
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

TheRedBaron

Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:09 am

I think we will need Dr. Gordon Freeman to fix the LHC.

.....off to get a crowbar, just in case....
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

NoWorries

Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:33 pm

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 36):
One candidate for dark energy is something called a cosmological constant, which represents the (theoretical) energetic cost of having a given volume of pure vacuum.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought it was the other way around, dark energy was one way (among many theories) that provides the needed cosmological constant. The cosmological constant has been around for a while -- Einstein included one in general relativity because in his day the universe was thought to be static, so he needed some repulsive force to keep the universe from imploding due to its own gravity. When it was discovered that the universe was expanding, Einstein concluded that the cosmologiccal constant was zero and that whatever was causing the universe to expand might eventually be overcome by gravity. When it was discovered that the universe was expanding at an accelerating rate, the constant went back into the mix. One possible way to arrive at the constant is to suppose that there is dark energy. There are a couple of key points about dark energy. Unlike gravity, it is repulsive, though much weaker. Most important though, is that it's density remains constant even as the universe expands. The density of all other energy/matter decreases as the universe expnds, but dark energy density remains costant, thus its overall strength compared to gravity will increase over time and the universe just expands into a wisp.

Quoting AKiss20 (Reply 38):
A classic higher level text for quantum mechanics and string theory is "Road to Reality" by Roger Penrose.

That's a huge book (1000 pages of equations) -- I belive he was Hawking's (docotral?) advisor -- either way, the man is a genius. R to R is about a lot more than just qunatum mechanics, it's his take on where we stand with respect to unifying gravity with quantum mechanics and it includes some of his own controversial ideas (which he is good about identifying as such). He takes a somewhat dim view of the leading candidate (String Theory). The beginning chapters of the book are a good survey of the math behind QM.

I think old textbooks are a nice step up from the usual layman's books. For anyone with engineering math in their background, the 1974 edition of "Quantum Physics of Atoms, ..." by Eisberg and Resnick can be found used for under $20 (as opposed to modern texts > $100). The other nice thing about this old edition is that QM was only about 40 years old at the time -- so the authors expend more effort on the problems and motivations that lead to the development of QM. For example they go into a fair amount of detail about the ultraviolet catastrophe predicted by classical physics and how Plank's work to address the issue was the opening salvo in the QM wars. Most books hardly give this a mention. The flip side is that it is dated on more advanced topics -- he talks about the eight fold way -- which today has been subsumed by QCD.

comorin

Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:05 pm

Looks like a new day for Physics! The LHC smashed its first protons this morning at 3.5 TeV (each).

NoWorries

Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:23 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 41):
Looks like a new day for Physics! The LHC smashed its first protons this morning at 3.5 TeV (each).

Cool -- and we're still here -- no black holes ... but for some strange reason all of the right-hand gloves have disappeared   

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:28 pm

The scientists at CERN think the Big Machine is performing much better than they expected.
The live cast is still going at this time. Party time is over. Now will be time for work.

http://webcast.cern.ch/lhcfirstphysics/

comorin

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:01 pm

Quoting NoWorries (Reply 42):
but for some strange reason all of the right-hand gloves have disappeared

Ha Ha!  

The collision has also led to a new thread emerging on the LHC....

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:57 pm

Brian Cox: What really goes on at the Large Hadron Collider

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6uKZWnJLCM&feature=player_embedded

"We’ll address soon some of the major puzzles of modern physics like the origin of mass, the grand unification of forces and the presence of abundant dark matter in the universe. I expect very exciting times in front of us.”

Here are the pictures of the first collisions in ATLAS at 7 TeV

http://atlas.web.cern.ch/Atlas/public/EVTDISPLAY/events.html

Go LHC!   

[Edited 2010-03-30 10:02:04]

TheRedBaron

Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:19 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 45):
Brian Cox: What really goes on at the Large Hadron Collider

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6uKZWnJLCM&feature=player_embedded

"We’ll address soon some of the major puzzles of modern physics like the origin of mass, the grand unification of forces and the presence of abundant dark matter in the universe. I expect very exciting times in front of us.”

Here are the pictures of the first collisions in ATLAS at 7 TeV

http://atlas.web.cern.ch/Atlas/public/EVTDISPLAY/events.html

Go LHC!   

Excelent Links Thanks..!
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

Klaus

RE: Large Hadron Collider To Shut Down Safety Conc

Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:29 pm

Quoting NoWorries (Reply 42):
Cool -- and we're still here -- no black holes ... but for some strange reason all of the right-hand gloves have disappeared

Crap! They must have fried the improbability compensator again!   

[Edited 2010-03-30 14:32:00]

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Man arrested at Large Hadron Collider claims he's from the future

Eloi Cole, a strangely dressed young man, said that he had travelled back in time to prevent the LHC from destroying the world.
"Countries do not exist where I am from. The discovery of the Higgs boson led to limitless power, the elimination of poverty and Kit-Kats for everyone. It is a communist chocolate hellhole and I'm here to stop it ever happening."

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/0,39029552,49305387,00.htm