AMX
Topic Author

The Marriage Ref - What Do You Think?

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:26 pm

I watched an episode of The Marriage Ref on NBC the night of the Olympic's Closing Ceremonies and the other one being yesterday having Larry David, Madonna and Ricky Gervais as guests (I don't get Gervais' humor). Truly, I don't think this program will be a winner for J. Seinfeld since he hasn't had any real success after Seinfeld unlike Larry David's Curb your Enthusiasm.-

I believe this is a futile attempt by NBC to get out of the hole.-

What do you all think?
Arriba Sonora!!!

desertjets

RE: The Marriage Ref - What Do You Think?

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:46 pm

Quoting AMX (Thread starter):
I believe this is a futile attempt by NBC to get out of the hole.-

What do you all think?

The show exists to fill the gaping hole in NBC's schedule after the whole Conan/Leno debacle.

I've seen all three episodes. The first two were ok, but last nights was awful. First of all I think the host is just bad. Second last nights celebrity panel was just bad. Not to mention the couples and the setups were pretty bad.

To Jerry's credit he pretty much fell off of the face of the Earth after Seinfeld ended. And Curb wouldn't have worked anywhere but HBO.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

JBirdAV8r

Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:28 pm

The concept is great; the execution is flawed.

The host is kind of an idiot. He's so bad it feels like a joke in and of itself.

The editing sucks.

Whoever thought having that jackass Madonna on to "ref" a marriage was ridiculous, though I do like Larry David and Ricky Gervais. Madonna's not funny at all--she's a big snob.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

iairallie

Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:12 am

The add showing that they are going to have Alec Baldwin on turned me off. Don't get me wrong I love him on 30 rock but giving marital advice? Um yeah lets ask his ex and daughter about that.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

Res6cue114

Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:15 am

I think its funny as long as you don't take it too seriously. Yes, its not the funniest program and will depend on how funny the judges are. Larry David was great and I can't wait to watch more "Curb Your Enthusiasm"
Where's my "Stall?"

ua777222

Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:57 am

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 1):
To Jerry's credit he pretty much fell off of the face of the Earth after Seinfeld ended. And Curb wouldn't have worked anywhere but HBO.

I'll gladly fall off the face of the earth for $200,000,000.00+ a year in royalties from his syndication.

Gervais is extremely funny when he's in control of whats going on. This is, yet again, a staged NBC attempt to be funny. Hope is lost when Law & Order, 30 Rock, and The Office die.
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

EA CO AS

Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:22 am

I think Madonna dispensing marital advice would be like hiring O.J. Simpson to play a District Attorney on "Law and Order."

She looked GOOOOD though...   
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group