Lufthansa411
Topic Author

Help Me Choose JNB Or SIN In April?

Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:28 pm

So I have a bunch of frequent flier miles that I have racked up that need to be spent, and April is when I can spend them.

Being the aviation nerd that I am, I have figured out that I can get to either JNB or SIN, spend 2-3 days there, and fly back in time for the start of uni.

So, where should I go? Johannesburg, which is feverishly preparing for the world cup, or Singapore the land of delicious food and color?
Nothing in life is to be feared; it is only to be understood.

LAXintl

RE: Help Me Choose JNB Or SIN In April?

Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

My vote would be for Singapore everytime, especially with the potential mess of the World Cup being around the corner in JNB. But if you want to do South Africa, I'd say CPT is a much better tourist choice.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

SOBHI51

Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:00 pm

SIN is a much better choice. JNB is behind in preparation for world cup, so things are chaotic there. Also safety wise SIN wins hands down.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

GrahamHill

Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:05 pm

I'd choose Singapore as well. The only problem would be the time difference. While in JNB you would have only 1 hour, Singapore is 7 hours. If you travel only for a couple of days, you might want to take this into account.
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

bwest

Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:27 pm

Hm, never been to JNB, though I would love to go to South Africa, but I think CPT would be a better choice iso JNB.

As for SIN... It's clean, safe, warm (well, hot!), food is cheap, but it can get a bit boring...
I love my Airport Job! :)

sw733

Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:35 pm

Johannesburg stinks. It's getting better, but it still stinks. You have better odds of not getting shot in the face these days, but it still stinks. If you were to fly into JNB, I would head out into Cape Town, Durban, somewhere else along the middle coast...heck, I would even recommend Gaborone (Botswana, not far) ahead of Johannesburg.

If you must stick to JNB, then pick Singapore instead. If you can get out of JNB, South Africa is a real treat.

SOBHI51

Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Quoting bwest (Reply 4):
As for SIN... It's clean, safe, warm (well, hot!), food is cheap, but it can get a bit boring...

Boring for a 2 day visit? Don't think so.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

andz

Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:47 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 5):
You have better odds of not getting shot in the face these days, but it still stinks.

Oh for God's sake. You make it sound like Johannesburg is the only place on earth where you might be a crime victim.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

bwest

Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:50 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 7):
You make it sound like Johannesburg is the only place on earth where you might be a crime victim.

Ofcourse it isn't, but I think the chances of you getting robbed at Jo'burg are higher than that happening to you in Singapore
I love my Airport Job! :)

PPVRA

Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:51 pm

I was in Beijing for a week at the end of May 2008, before the Olympics. Things weren't crazy yet and I got to see some of the stadiums, though only from the outside. Based on this experience I'd say don't throw out JNB just because of that.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

fca767

Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:06 pm

I went Singapore...was good...thought I thought my 15 days was a bit too long, especially if I wasn't spending money on any excursions  
But it is really nice there...take SQ  

kaitak

Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:25 pm

Quoting Lufthansa411 (Thread starter):
Being the aviation nerd that I am, I have figured out that I can get to either JNB or SIN, spend 2-3 days there, and fly back in time for the start of uni.

So, where should I go? Johannesburg, which is feverishly preparing for the world cup, or Singapore the land of delicious food and color?

My basic rule in choosing a place to go on holiday is whether I have a better than even chance of getting out alive; on the basis, I think SIN is probably the best choice!