Baexecutive

How Do You Know You Are In Love?

Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:50 pm

It might seem like a silly question but how do you know you are in love with someone? And how did you meet your current partner?

I'm 29 and have probably only been in love once (last partner that I was with for 5 years) I've met someone else but not sure if its love or just infatuation....how can you tell the difference?

Would love to hear your experiences and thoughts.

J

ShyFlyer

RE: How Do You Know You Are In Love?

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:06 pm

I thought I was in love once...turned out to be bad chicken. True story.
I lift things up and put them down.

Airstud

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:15 pm

There's only one time in my life when I _knew_ I was in love; and how I knew was that when I talked with this person or thought about her, the world blurred.

Three years previous, there was a girl in my then-current workplace whom I enjoyed flirting with, but knew she was married pretty much the moment I met her. I think about her, and how (inappropriately) I behaved toward her, but have always resisted the thought that I was in love with her, for at least two reasons: A) I knew she was married, i.e., off limits, and for some reason trusted (with my stupidly computer-like mind) that this knowledge would prevent my love circuits from carrying current, and B) Around her, I never felt any of the blurriness or stars around my head, like I later would feel, about a different person.

The collection of these experience makes me think that maybe the way you fall in love, the "indicators," are different each time it happens. And why not? Part of what makes it falling in love, is that it's unique.
Pancakes are delicious.

Fly2HMO

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:20 pm

Quoting baexecutive (Thread starter):

When you feel an incredibly painful, scalding and urgent inner sensation to give a female one of these:

FX772LRF

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:26 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 3):

What, a flight tracker? What's she going to do with that? She's got to learn the black magic behind it and everything!

-Noah   
Cleared to IAH via CLL 076 radial/BAZBL/RIICE3, up to 3k, 7k in 10, departure on 134.3, squawk 4676, Colgan 9581.

MarSciGuy

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:32 pm

My fiance and I met originally via Myspace of all places....didn't actually meet in person for a year, but sent emails back and forth for that year, getting to know one another as friends would first - we didn't start dating til, as I said, a bit after a year had passed when we first met in person. 3 days after our first date I was sent to sea for 3 weeks, and continued 3 weeks at sea and on land for two and a half years following that first date.

Hw did I know I was in love? I knew that there could be a future for us (more than a single date at least) after getting back from the first 3 weeks at sea after our first date and she wasn't put off by the prospect of me continuing that job for several years to come. Over time I became much more aware that yes, this was "true love" as whenever we have had disagreements things were worked out quickly and easily without the mercurial ups and downs of some relationships. Additionally, every time I went to sea starting after a couple of dates I began to miss having her around, being able to see her smile, etc...

Anyways, I'll end this post there, but....hopefully a) that helps and b) it wasn't too mushy for the majority of people on these boards....

MarSciGuy
"There weren't a ton of gnats there where a ton of gnats and their families as well!"

xjramper

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:36 pm

When you feel an incredibly painful, scalding and urgent inner sensation to give a female one of these:

So they fill those things with acid (the burning, scalding kind not the trippin' kind) then?  

xjr
Look ma' no hands!

Phoenix9

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:44 pm

When you start putting up with shit that you normally wouldn't....you are in love.
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

lincoln

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:54 pm

Quoting Airstud (Reply 2):
There's only one time in my life when I _knew_ I was in love; and how I knew was that when I talked with this person or thought about her, the world blurred.

Ahh, damn.

Part of me was hoping it was just the side effects of my attempting to cook.
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

Fly2HMO

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:20 pm

Quoting xjramper (Reply 6):
So they fill those things with acid (the burning, scalding kind not the trippin' kind) then?

Yes. Useful so when she ditches you, cheats on you, uses you, and/or otherwise screws you in a way you don't appreciate to be screwed, you can shatter it in her face, and with the acid she remains physycally scarred for life, therefore serving as a warning for other men to avoid said nasty woman.

Kinda like in the Inglorious Basterds movie, where a swastika was carved on the Nazi soldiers forehead...

What? Too drastic you say?   

Quoting Phoenix9 (Reply 7):
When you start putting up with shit that you normally wouldn't....you are in love.

Either that or you are f'ing stupid  

[Edited 2010-03-17 15:21:16]

B6JFKH81

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:35 pm

It might seem like a silly question but how do you know you are in love with someone? And how did you meet your current partner?

I'm 29 and have probably only been in love once (last partner that I was with for 5 years) I've met someone else but not sure if its love or just infatuation....how can you tell the difference?

Would love to hear your experiences and thoughts.

It is VERY hard to put into words, and each person will vary. But BELIEVE ME when I say, you will know when cupids arrow hits you right in the butt.

I am also 29, and divorced as of September (not a bad divorce either). I have never felt the way I felt about my (now ex-) husband with anyone else. There is a feelings of "I would give my life for this person, and trust my life to this person", "if it were the last few minutes of my life, I would want to spend them with this person", and "I have never felt more comfortable in every possible way with anyone like I do with this person".

It's a long story how my ex-hubby and I got together, but we shared some of the best years of my life thus far together, and we continue to be really good friends...which goes to show that it was true love because it will never die, just change over time as some love does.

~H81
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

TeamAmerica

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:42 pm

If you are certain you are in love and it's perfect and you are the luckiest person on Earth to feel so good and believe it's going to stay this way forever...that's infatuation. Enjoy the ride.   Don't get married.  

If you are still together after 5 years and it's boring and she drives you crazy but at the same time you can't imagine life without her...that's love. Get married, have kids, grow old together. That's as good as it gets, and don't torture yourself thinking there's something better out there somewhere.
Perfection is unobtainable.  

Consider your favorite old shoes. They are comfortable and you don't care so much if they get dirty, but you don't brag to your buddies about them anymore. That's a good marriage. Booze helps.  
Failure is not an option; it's an outcome.

UAL747

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:50 pm

I've been in love once. The relationship lasted for 2 years. I think you know you are in love when breaking up is murder on you. I don't think you will ever be able to know the scope of your love for any one person until that person is not in your life.

I think you know you are in love when you are willing to do more for that person than you would for yourself. When you want to protect that person, and honor that person. All selfishness goes away and your life becomes entirely about their happiness. Sucky part is if they don't feel the same way, while you are doing all of this.

Hopefully, one day, I will allow myself to be in love again. (Not hung up on my last love, just a ton of issues surrounding relationships in general for me).

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Tugger

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:54 pm

Quoting xjramper (Reply 6):
acid (the burning, scalding kind not the trippin' kind)

Well, for love, both can apply actually.... 
Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 10):
I have never felt the way I felt about my (now ex-) husband with anyone else. There is a feelings of "I would give my life for this person, and trust my life to this person", "if it were the last few minutes of my life, I would want to spend them with this person", and "I have never felt more comfortable in every possible way with anyone like I do with this person".

I will add that it is most certainly not some one sided feeling either. You can't be "in" a room if the place just has one wall/side. The same goes for actually being "in love", it is something that occurs between two people not just one of them.

I knew I was in love when I wanted to be with the person and they wanted to be with me. I knew I was in love when, if I was mad at the person, I wanted to not stay mad, and they didn't want to stay mad either (after that period of time when you really just want to be mad  ). I have found love in the person that supports and works by me in life and wants me to succeed in my goals just I want them to succeed in theirs! And happily our strengths compliment each other and our weakness tend to be canceled out by the other, so we are stronger together as a team.

We support each other, we want to be together at the end of the day (most of the time), we have similar goals in life, and most importantly... we love each other.

Oh and too add, I hope that I am never "out of love". To accomplish that I do work at it. Being in love is both easy and hard at the same time. It takes effort, but importantly from both people involved, and if it is real it is relatively effortless.

So put simply it is a huge contradiction, but a very worthwhile contradiction.  cloudnine   boggled 

Tugg

[Edited 2010-03-17 16:09:46]
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

ajd1992

Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:03 pm

Quoting TeamAmerica (Reply 11):
If you are still together after 5 years and it's boring and she drives you crazy but at the same time you can't imagine life without her...that's love. Get married, have kids, grow old together. That's as good as it gets, and don't torture yourself thinking there's something better out there somewhere.

I do believe with baexecutive she is a he.   Pardon If I'm wrong though.

I can't say I've ever loved somebody. I did get stupidly infatuated with my first girlfriend though, and it didn't end well and as a result I don't see her too often now. She does hold a special place though, for being my first. (Girlfriend, not sex, you dirty perverts  )

I've dated a few people since and I've always compared them to her, which I know is wrong but I couldn't help it. I've been single since Xmas day 2008 (Happy Christmas to you too, bitch...) because I just attract high maintenance people, both male and female so I'm very happy on my own at this stage, considering my last girlfriend lied to me (told me her parents were divorcing and she didn't need the stress which is a total lie as her parents weren't ever married and they still live together), messed me around ("I want a break for a while" and that whole thing) and finally ditched me on Christmas day (after I spent a f*cking fortune on her).

If you're single, stay single. Masturbating and being lonely is far easier to deal with than a relationship  

asuflyer05

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:15 am

Can you picture life without her?

Mudboy

Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:34 am

how do you know you are in love with someone?

When you stop all rational thinking!

DocLightning

Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:48 am

I just... know. He's asleep next to me now. It hurts me when he's gone. When I'm hurt, I want him. When I'm happy, I want to be happy with him. When I'm proud of me, I want him to be proud of me. When he's proud of himself, I'm proud of him. Not because I put any effort into it, but just because that's how it is.

I love him. I just do.

That's how you know.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

aerorobnz

Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:01 am

you don't, you just hope like hell you analyzed the chemical reaction you are feeling in your brain correctly . There's always a chance you just got caught up in the ride along the way - but that's the risk you take.

Actions always have consequences. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. You can learn to love someone, but like any habitual behaviour it can take a long time to learn. Hence arranged marriages are often more successful than whims based on such airy fairy concepts as love.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

TheCol

Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:06 am

That totally hits the nail on the head.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

flymia

Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:45 am

That was great, took 3 whole post too!

As for the real question for me it was when I could not stop thinking about the girl and espcially when I cared for her well being so much that I would ask her to call/text me when she got home every night, when I would worry about her if she went out. I knew I fell in love when I was away from her all I could think about is her. It took 6 months for me to be sure but when you cant stop thinking about someone that is when you really know your in love IMO. Not just physical either just everything about her.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Rj111

Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:33 am

You don't feel ashamed after you've just given her a seeing to.

Seriously.

sw733

Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Gonna find my baby, gonna hold her tight
gonna grab some afternoon delight.
My motto's always been; when it's right, it's right.
Why wait until the middle of a cold dark night.
When everything's a little clearer in the light of day.
And you know the night is always gonna be there any way.

Sky rockets in flight. Afternoon delight. Ooooo, Afternoon delight.

LH459

Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:33 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 17):
I just... know. He's asleep next to me now. It hurts me when he's gone. When I'm hurt, I want him. When I'm happy, I want to be happy with him. When I'm proud of me, I want him to be proud of me. When he's proud of himself, I'm proud of him. Not because I put any effort into it, but just because that's how it is.

Sums everything up quite nicely! I can only speak for myself: My partner and I began our relationship as a mutual infatuation, which rapidly progressed to falling in love. It was different from anything that had come before, and I knew that I was falling for him. Hard. That was 10 years ago this October. To this day, I don't understand the attraction between us. We're quite different, we often disagree, but we're crazy about each other and therefore it all works!
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is temporary; the evil it does is permanent" - Ghandi

Baexecutive

Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:59 pm

I love him. I just do.

That's how you know.

Thats one of the nicest things I've ever seen wrote down.

OA260

Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:25 pm

I just... know. He's asleep next to me now. It hurts me when he's gone. When I'm hurt, I want him.
Quoting baexecutive (Reply 24):
Thats one of the nicest things I've ever seen wrote down.

Yeah +1 , Im not normally into that Sugar,candy stuff but that was touching. Dont think Ive ever been at that stage though, but been near  

TheRedBaron

Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:15 pm

Nowadays a ton of people are divorced heartbroken or depressed because they don know what real love is , therefore they dont even know if they are in Love!.
Love never happens at one sight or at first sight, that is attraction.
Love never grows out of needyness or the idea of somebody loving you back, heck even reciprocity.
True Love cant be from somebody who doesnt love Himself-Herself.
Never uses the term I or Him/Her, its always US.
When you are in love, no conditions on this world would make you change the way you feel, it applies to women, men, familiy, pets, country, equality, beauty or even behaviour.

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 10):
which goes to show that it was true love because it will never die, just change over time as some love does.

True Love never dies, It never Changes , over time the RELATIONSHIP can and will change, love does not.

If you are certain you are in love and it's perfect and you are the luckiest person on Earth to feel so good and believe it's going to stay this way forever...that's infatuation. Enjoy the ride.   Don't get married.  

Correct.

That's a good marriage. Booze helps.  

LOL. VERY FUNNY.... if you dont drink, you are doomed...

Quoting tugger (Reply 13):
I have found love in the person that supports and works by me in life and wants me to succeed in my goals just I want them to succeed in theirs!

That is a good symptom that you are indeed in love.

TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

ClassicLover

Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:18 pm

So many things show you are in love... there are rather too many to answer  

Being in love is so unlike anything else though, you should know when you feel it!
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

airtrainer

Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:35 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 27):
So many things show you are in love... there are rather too many to answer

Would be too long to write indeed, but I certainly know I am in love, and she knows as well  
Life is short : eat dessert first !

1stfl94

Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:47 pm

I've probably been in love three times in my life, each time I knew, not always at the time that I could see the future with this person and that all I wanted was to make them happy (this in retrospect has caused a few problems in my love life and may be contributing to my current singledom)

The other explanation I've heard is that you know when your in love when you can fart in front of the other person without feeling embarrassed! (this was not a problem with my ex boyfriend!)

babybus

Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:29 pm

It's like having flu. You get cloudy in the head, immobilized with deep thoughts and feel weak both mentally and physically.

You also feel an irrational, deep sense of loss when they leave the room,office or party.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

AGM100

Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:31 pm

It might seem like a silly question but how do you know

Its not a silly question .... and timely for me. I have dated 4 women in the last 5 years.... dated defined as staying together at least for a month or two or three. A few others lasted only days ...

I am dating a girl right now that I believe I am in love with.... for me that is a huge event. I was in a terrible marriage for 12 years and felt like I would never love again or even understand the feeling of love again. I hate the word love by the way ...its so over used and blahhh but it makes the point.

I have been dating this lady for 8 months now .... she is spectacular ... beutiful intelligent educated and down to earth. (Why is she with me ?) She is very good parent to her kids , something I value immensly .... she has it all. But I have been struggling with my own lack of deep feeling development for her ... I could not explain why I was not falling in "love" with her ... she is perfect.

I was beginning to worry about myself ... I was actually planning to end the relationship in the next couple of weeks. She is in love with me ... no doubt about it and I never wanted to hurt her . But ...something happened to me last night.

Last night after our kids were settled , I invited her too meet me at the coffee shop . I arrived early and was seated reading ,and of course thinking about politics , war , my economic situation ... liberals conservatives socialists and communists ... death and life ....kids and ex wives .... what a dark place.

I turned in time to see her walking across the parking lot ... she saw me and I saw her ..... what I saw and felt was a wonderment that still has me unsettled this morning. I saw a vision of heaven .... long blonde locks , blue eyes and a smile sent from above. She came to me and I felt like I was being swept away as she embraced me with such warmth and care. I have never ,that I can recall felt a sweep of warmth and safety flow though me like that .... I just have to say that I fell in love last night ... thier was no doubt about it. This morning I feel lighter ... The world seems better... It happened to me .. Thats it ... it just happens and you cant control it ... I am so lucky

Thanks for starting this thread ... I just had to put my words out about it today--- good luck.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

LH459

Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:39 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 31):
I just have to say that I fell in love last night ... thier was no doubt about it. This morning I feel lighter ... The world seems better... It happened to me .. Thats it ... it just happens and you cant control it ... I am so lucky

Congratulations!    I firmly believe there is someone for everyone, but it can be so difficult to find one another.
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is temporary; the evil it does is permanent" - Ghandi

Aaron747

Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:40 pm

I have a lover - a lover like no other / She has soul, soul, soul, sweet soul and she taught me how to sing / She shows me colors when there's none to see / And gives me hope when I can't believe...that for the first time, I feel love.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Fly2HMO

Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:49 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 31):
I turned in time to see her walking across the parking lot ... she saw me and I saw her ..... what I saw and felt was a wonderment that still has me unsettled this morning. I saw a vision of heaven .... long blonde locks , blue eyes and a smile sent from above. She came to me and I felt like I was being swept away as she embraced me with such warmth and care. I have never ,that I can recall felt a sweep of warmth and safety flow though me like that .... I just have to say that I fell in love last night ... thier was no doubt about it. This morning I feel lighter ... The world seems better... It happened to me .. Thats it ... it just happens and you cant control it ... I am so lucky

Awww that was touching.   

Dreadnought

Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:50 pm

THIS is love...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/north_east/8570398.stm

Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:36 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 22):
Gonna find my baby, gonna hold her tight
gonna grab some afternoon delight.
My motto's always been; when it's right, it's right.
Why wait until the middle of a cold dark night.
When everything's a little clearer in the light of day.
And you know the night is always gonna be there any way.

Sky rockets in flight. Afternoon delight. Ooooo, Afternoon delight.

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking along the lines of Anchorman.

As for "How Do I Know?" - when I didn't really care that back in November I was on my first Boeing 777 flight because I was sad and upset that that Delta Boeing 777 was taking me away from my girlfriend (Okay, that's the nerd answer in me -although there is some truth in that).

Being more serious - I know I'm in love now with my girlfriend. Our relationship was not "Love at First Sight" - as theredbaron says in Reply 26, it doesn't exist. We met at a friend's wedding in Michigan back in May. We kept in touch afterward, just here-and-there at first and then to almost daily. The joke between us was that since I didn't dance with her at the wedding reception, we needed to get together again and make-up this dance. I invited her to come to Florida in August just before the semester started, and she did. That's when the real sparks began to fly. Soon after she left, I asked her to be my girlfriend. Even though she has asked me (not at all grudgingly) why I didn't ask her to officialy start dating while she was down, we both agreed that looking back, it was better that I waited a little while to ask, for both of us. Before and during her visit, there were a lot of emotions going through my head from previous events that summer in my own world, and I wanted to ensure that if I did enter a relationship with her, that my thoughts were clear and this is what I (we) really wanted and that all feelings I felt with her were actually about her and not just masking over those previous events. She also feels similar about it, in that she got to ask herself "is it really love that's forming between us or is it just something temporary?" Since last August, our relationship has progressed at a healthy and steady pace, with neither one of us moving to another step the other isn't ready for. So that may be one answer right there - when you would take her tomorrow, or you'd still be willing to wait forever just to be with her. She was willing to wait for me. Additionally, one thing my girlfriend and I have discussed - you cannot see each other as just your boyfriend or girlfriend. You also have to see each other as your best friend. If she is only your girlfriend and as your relationship progresses she does not also become one of your best friends, you're probably with her for the wrong reasons.

In "How Do I Know I Love Her", I also argue that "fate" is playing a role. I selected my base prefernce back in April of last year - Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio - the closest active duty Air Force Base to where she lives in Michigan. She was not the reason though, as I had not met her by this point. I just wanted to be close to my extended family in Cincinnati and to Cedar Point. I began dating her in August and in September, base assignments came out - Wright Patterson for me.   So once I enter active duty, I will be only 3.5 hours away or so. May seem weird but we're taking it as a good sign that our relationship is meant to be.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

Asturias

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:48 am

True love. It is like a dance. It's hard to explain for people who have never felt it, but it does exist. I don't think it's that rare, though it certainly isn't common. One can't search for it, one can't expect it and one certainly can't demand it.

It can't be bought, it can't be taken but it is a feeling all people are capable of. When it happens you may not even know or realize immediately. Love at first sight doesn't happen, because love grows. It is grown out of care, respect, intimacy, trust and affection. Not just for between the persons in love, but for yourself.

It is never one sided and needs both persons involved for it to grow. It is a contradiction yet completely logical for those who experience it. It takes effort for love to grow, and yet no effort. Looking back it seems so effortless.

There is a bond between people who are in love and it is like a silk thread, without weight or mass, but strong as steel.

I can only describe these indications, but not the feeling itself. I realize it a tired cliché, but you'll know when you are in love and it won't be with the first person you think you're in love with. You'll try on the concept of love many times before you find the real thing.

It's about the journey, not the destination. Keep that thought in your heart and mind always and be open to it. Take chances.

asturias
Tonight we fly

Flyingfox27

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:31 am

I just got back with my college friend after almost 10 years! now thats true love if she rediscovered me via one of my youtube vids, then Facebook then MSN then meeting me and finally we..........snogged! (no we havent made love yet and i wouldnt say on a public forum anyways lol!)

True love is a commitment and both sides share the same love, pain and sticking together when the going gets rough and for beter or worse i think.

I believe in Church Marriages still, i would prefer to get married on the runway at LHR but i doubt BAA would agree with me!!!!!

kiwiinoz

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:05 am

Isn't there an old joke for this one? Something to do with gargling?

FlyDeltaJets87

Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:23 pm

Quoting Flyingfox27 (Reply 38):
I believe in Church Marriages still, i would prefer to get married on the runway at LHR but i doubt BAA would agree with me!!!!!

I always wanted to charter a Concorde and get married at Mach 2.0+    Don't think that will happen anymore though.

Quoting Flyingfox27 (Reply 38):
I just got back with my college friend after almost 10 years! now thats true love if she rediscovered me via one of my youtube vids, then Facebook then MSN then meeting me and finally we..........snogged! (no we havent made love yet and i wouldnt say on a public forum anyways lol!)

When I was living in Florida around age 5 and 6, me, my cousin, and one of my neighbors would always hang out. Well just over a year ago, my old neighbor found my cousin on Facebook. He contacted her, they met (She was at Univ. of Tennessee and he was at the Univ. of Alabama). They started dating, and are now engaged and set to get married in June of next year.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

UK_Dispatcher

Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:35 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 12):
I think you know you are in love when breaking up is murder on you. I don't think you will ever be able to know the scope of your love for any one person until that person is not in your life.

Yep, that is it.

I have avoided meeting anyone for the last few years because I hate setting myself up for that kind of fall and the pain that comes with it.

CO 757-300

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:12 pm

I usually fall in love at least once whenever I am drunk. i'm lucky like that.

Molykote

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:30 pm

I've wanted a 911 since I was 10 years old. When I finally could afford to own and maintain one (at least a good gently used example), it didn't seem as important to me as caring for my girlfriend (now fiance).

Ok, so the above story is a bit of an exaggeration (not the part about wanting a 911, but the intensity of my desire for one). I never planned my life around getting one, or lost sight of other truly important things like health of friends and family.

My point is simply that other things you thought mattered seem trivial because the experience (of finding love) gives perspective to everything else you've experienced to that point. I'd imagine different individuals arrive at this place in different ways and at different paces.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 33):
I have a lover - a lover like no other / She has soul, soul, soul, sweet soul and she taught me how to sing / She shows me colors when there's none to see / And gives me hope when I can't believe...that for the first time, I feel love.

I love the piano at the end of that song. I always wondered if the heavy piano chords at the end were made to intentionally "clip" the tweeters in a stereo at normal listening levels for effect of intensity.

The sound/effect of the "clipping" I describe is a kind of high frequency compression/distortion that I'd often associate with lower quality amplifiers being pushed too hard. Problem is, I've listened to that song on many very expensive hifi systems and the effect remains, at least at any volume level above soft to light-moderate.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

kmh1956

Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:32 pm

how do you know you are in love with someone?

If you have to ask, you're not.
You'd know.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

RobertNL070

Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:45 pm

Nicely said.

My partner and I are married since last September, but we've been together 13 years tomorrow. I still don't sleep too well on the occasions he is away on business.

There is 'being in love' and 'loving partner/spouse'. Being in love is very, very special, and I don't wish in any way to demean it, but that loving feeling after a number of years is so deep, so profound, almost tactile and so special.

But whatever your views ...... enjoy!
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

FlyboyOz

Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:40 am

It seems to me that most people don't really understand what love is. I think you need to watch lots of romantic movies so that you could understand what a true love is. You also need to understand the feeling of love too. Your body and your brain can tell you whether you are in love with a partner or not. If you are really love with your partner and your partner is in love with you, then you and your partner can be both in love with each other by using same personalities, same hobbies, talking a lot, knowing each other very well, having fun with them and so on.

Good Luck everyone!
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

PITingres

Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:21 am

Determining true love is a two pass algorithm. If you make it through 25 years, you were in love.

All joking aside, this probably comes closest. I might replace "putting up with" with "ignoring" or perhaps even "joining in with".

If you are just easy with the other person, if they are your best friend, if they brighten your day way more often than they darken it, it might be for real.

If you decide to work at it, rather than just letting the bluebird of happiness sh*t on your head, it's almost definitely the real thing.

I was one of the lucky ones, "love" at first sight (lust was probably more like it initially, but see above) and we are closing in on 28 years.
Fly, you fools! Fly!