MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Obama Says Louisiana Purchase Will Help With Earth

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:03 pm

Puzzling statement: Obama says Louisiana purchase will help with earthquake in Hawaii

Is this a future event?

Fox News: OBAMA: I am certain that we've made sure, for example, that any burdens on states are alleviated, when it comes to what they're going to have to chip in to make sure that we're giving subsidies to small businesses, and subsidies to individuals, for example.
OBAMA: That also — I'm giving you an example of one that I consider important. It also affects Hawaii, which went through an earthquake. So that's not just a Louisiana provision. That is a provision that affects every state that is going through a natural catastrophe.

http://www.breitbart.tv/puzzling-sta...elp-with-the-earthquake-in-hawaii/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaCsMYN9iSM&feature=player_embedded

Hawaii went through an earthquake?

His brain must have short circtuited.

[Edited 2010-03-18 06:05:35]
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

JakeOrion

RE: Obama Says Louisiana Purchase Will Help With Earth

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:22 pm

I'm pretty sure he meant Haiti, not Hawaii. Slip of the tongue, we all do it.

Non-issue.

/thread
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:26 pm

Maybe there are plans to sell the Louisiana Purchase territory to someone. Napoleon sold it to the USA because he was broke from his wars. Now the US is broke. So maybe the US will sell it to get some cash.    

JakeOrion

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:37 pm

Who knows? The Chinese has been buying all of our debt, so it will be just a matter of time before they want some compensation other than US cash.

I wanted to watch this interview last night too, but since a) birthday and b) St. Patricks Day, you all know where I was at. 
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

casinterest

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:38 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Thread starter):
It also affects Hawaii, which went through an earthquake.

Hawaii had a big earthquake in 2006

Volcanoes are known to cause them......

They are talking about provisions of the health care bill.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...9-obama-defends-louisiana-purchase
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Hawaii_earthquake

This is why you can't trust Fox news or the GOP. They don't have the attention span to look into facts.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

JakeOrion

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:46 pm

Quoting casInterest (Reply 4):
This is why you can't trust Fox news or the GOP. They don't have the attention span to look into facts.

Seriously, these pot shots are getting freaking rediculous from both sides. Everyone needs to grow up.

planespotting

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:48 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 2):
Maybe there are plans to sell the Louisiana Purchase territory to someone.

He didn't say anything about the "real" Louisiana Purchase - he called it a Louisiana Provision, which is basically a bone that he threw to Mary Landrieu to get her to vote for healthcare reform. Basically, any state where all countys declare a disaster will automatically qualify for extra Medicaid funding.

It took me less than five seconds to look this up and figure out that it had nothing to do with the actual Louisiana Purchase. I don't know why anyone else would think it did either.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

casinterest

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:49 pm

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 5):
Seriously, these pot shots are getting freaking rediculous from both sides. Everyone needs to grow up.

The pot shots won't stop until both sides grow up. We have a government with 2 parties. The toddlers of both parties keep throwing tantrums without facts.

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:54 pm

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 1):
I'm pretty sure he meant Haiti, not Hawaii. Slip of the tongue, we all do it.

Haiti is not a State.Maybe the US now owns Haiti?
'"that is a provision that affects every state that is going through a natural catastrophe."

JakeOrion

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:56 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 8):
'"that is a provision that affects every state that is going through a natural catastrophe."

Haven't watched the video and I'm hung over. Sue me.  

Aaron747

Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:44 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Thread starter):
Hawaii went through an earthquake?

Hawaii has experienced 7 events over Richter magnitude 6 in the last 100 years - though all of them have primarily affected the Big Island.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...states/historical_state.php#hawaii

Experts think there is potential for earthquakes as large as magnitude 8, owing to a large portion of the island's southern flank that is breaking off into the sea, known as the Hilina slump.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilina_Slump
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

WestWing

Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:04 pm

Just think for a minute. Do you really think Obama confused Hawaii with Haiti ? Hawaii is the state of his birth - where his maternal grandparents lived - and where he spent a significant part of his childhood.

Yes, I know some Obama basher is going to bring up the "fifty-eight" states flub during the campaign or that he made a mistake in spelling "Syracuse" or that he referred to his own daughter as "Maya" instead of "Malia" to show what a total dunce Obama must be. Sigh....

Obama did not use the term Louisiana purchase. He said "Louisiana provision". The provision he was talking about provides that a state with a natural disaster where every county in the state has a disaster declared, will be eligible for additional Medicare assistance. This was the situation in post-Katrina Louisiana - where all counties in Louisiana had a disaster declared.

When Obama was talking about Hawaii, he most likely was referring to a Oct 15, 2006 earthquake. Did all counties of Hawaii get declared a disaster area - which would have made Hawaii eligible under a provision like this had it existed ? At least least one blog out there says NO Hawaii would not be eligible because one of the counties of Hawaii was not declared a disaster area during that earthquake. If this is accurate, maybe Obama was technically wrong on whether the provision would apply to the 2006 Hawaii earthquake.

But there's no way (in my opinion) that Obama could confused Hawaii with Haiti.
The best time to plant a tree is 40 years ago. The second best time is today.

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:52 pm

Quoting WestWing (Reply 11):
When Obama was talking about Hawaii, he most likely was referring to a Oct 15, 2006 earthquake.
http://urbansurvival.com/week.htm

Dreadnought

Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:05 pm

Quoting casInterest (Reply 4):

Just because the interview was on Fox means that you can't trust what Obama said?

It was a good interview, but not for Obama. Every time he was asked a tough question, he filibustered, dancing around the question like a prima ballerina. Now the Louisiana purchase, which was pretty damned specific a few months ago when the senate passed it, "applies to any state that suffers a disaster". He refused to say what other special deals are still in the bill. He ducked and covered repeatedly when asked whether he agreed with the Slaughter Solution.

He came across as dishonest, IMHO.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - W. Churchill

mayor

Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:08 pm

Quoting casInterest (Reply 7):
The toddlers of both parties keep throwing tantrums without facts.

Well, unless I read the article incorrectly, it was indeed a "Louisiana Purchase" and was termed that way. Basically, they were buying Sen. Landrieu's vote on healthcare, i.e. a "Louisiana Purchase".

Tell me again where the facts are wrong.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

ha763

Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:35 am

When Obama was talking about Hawaii, he most likely was referring to a Oct 15, 2006 earthquake.

Actually, he was more likely to be referring to the February 27th Chile earthquake, which did affect the entire state of Hawaii. That earthquake created a Pacific-wide tsunami warning and led to the evacuation of all the tsunami inundation zones in the state.

So, Obama should have said tsunami, but earthquake came out of his mouth. I've heard him say Japanese words and he usually butchers the pronunciation, so it was probably better to say earthquake.

BTW, we did have a 4.5 magnitude earthquake on the Big Island on March 3, which was followed by a 3.5 magnitude earthquake. It didn't cause any damage and only affect the Big Island.

windy95

Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:40 pm

Yes, I know some Obama basher is going to bring up the "fifty-eight" states flub during the campaign or that he made a mistake in spelling "Syracuse" or that he referred to his own daughter as "Maya" instead of "Malia" to show what a total dunce Obama must be. Sigh....

There are many more. This guy is more of an idiot than Bush was. But since he is a lefty all will be forgiven.  

Boeing1970

Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:18 pm

Quoting windy95 (Reply 16):
There are many more. This guy is more of an idiot than Bush was. But since he is a lefty all will be forgiven.

No doubt. Get this guy away from a teleprompter and push his buttons a little and he starts going all over the map.

Who the heck knows what he was talking about on this. Even his supporters in this thread can't figure it out.

Quoting ha763 (Reply 15):
BTW, we did have a 4.5 magnitude earthquake on the Big Island on March 3, which was followed by a 3.5 magnitude earthquake. It didn't cause any damage and only affect the Big Island.

Oh please, unless you're sitting on top of it you barely feel those little rollers.

casinterest

Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:07 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 14):
Tell me again where the facts are wrong.

I interpreted wrong that the guy Fox news article was about something else.
It was really a response to what MadameConcord had misinterpreted.

I thought Obama did fine for the bill. I wished the correspondent from Fox news hadn't wasted so much time on Roget's rules of order, and had instead concentrated on the contents of the bill.

slider

Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:49 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 8):

Maybe he counted Haiti in with the 57 states he claimed we had.

Hawaii is the state of his birth -

Allegedly.

planespotting

Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:54 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 19):
Hawaii is the state of his birth -

Allegedly.

Really? Has it come to this? Are you really bringing up the birth certificate thing?

Superfly

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:28 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 2):
Maybe there are plans to sell the Louisiana Purchase territory to someone.

That would certianly get rid of a lot of red states we don't need.   
Bring back the Concorde

slider

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:43 pm

Quoting planespotting (Reply 20):
Really? Has it come to this? Are you really bringing up the birth certificate thing?

Why, have you seen the real one?

Or any of his transcripts, grades, anything?

mayor

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:48 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 21):
That would certianly get rid of a lot of red states we don't need.

Most of us on this side of the Mississippi were thinking we don't need what's east of it. Oh, and you can have California, too.  
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

Superfly

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:58 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 23):
Most of us on this side of the Mississippi were thinking we don't need what's east of it. Oh, and you can have California, too.

Feeling is mutual.  
Bring back the Concorde

Continental

Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:27 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 22):

Have you? He's the president, I think they'd do a background check before allowing him into the Oval Office.

Now don't make me bring out that man with the tinfoil hat!

slider

Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:42 pm

Quoting Continental (Reply 25):
Have you? He's the president, I think they'd do a background check before allowing him into the Oval Office.

Who’s “they” precisely? That’s been one of the sources of concern—is that while the Constitution defines eligibility, there isn’t a mention of who does the checking. This isn’t like a job application where you turn in a resume and transcript and they run a background check. I am not a conspiracy kook, but I think the question then and now has validity. And as I’ve said since the beginning, Obama could shut everyone up by just producing it. Funny how the most enlightened and anointed one is really someone we know terribly little actually about, isn’t it? Sorry to divert the thread…EOM.

Continental

Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:54 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 26):
Who’s “they” precisely? That’s been one of the sources of concern—is that while the Constitution defines eligibility, there isn’t a mention of who does the checking. This isn’t like a job application where you turn in a resume and transcript and they run a background check. I am not a conspiracy kook, but I think the question then and now has validity. And as I’ve said since the beginning, Obama could shut everyone up by just producing it. Funny how the most enlightened and anointed one is really someone we know terribly little actually about, isn’t it? Sorry to divert the thread…EOM.

I don't know who "they" are, but I feel very confident that there is a body or organization which checks this stuff out. There are certain requirements that must be met in order to become POTUS and I doubt that they'd overlook something as important as age or place of birth.

planespotting

Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:07 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 22):

Yes. Even though these subsequent posts are not about the search for Obama's birth certificate and will most likely be removed by moderators later, here they are (and in the words of Clark Griswold - Hallelujah, holy shit, where's the tylenol?):

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/born_in_the_usa.html

http://www.factcheck.org/UploadedFiles/birth_certificate_3.jpg
http://www.factcheck.org/UploadedFiles/birth_certificate_9.jpg
http://www.factcheck.org/UploadedFiles/birth_certificate_1.jpg
http://www.factcheck.org/UploadedFiles/birth_certificate_5.jpg
http://www.factcheck.org/UploadedFiles/birth_certificate_2.jpg

slider

Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:58 pm

Nice try- that's not the real original birth certificate.

This nice laserjet jobbie has been debunked repeatedly.

planespotting

Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:23 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 29):

This nice laserjet jobbie has been debunked repeatedly.

*sigh*

Yet you provide no proof. Why even bother.

Dreadnought

Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:04 am

Quoting planespotting (Reply 30):
Yet you provide no proof. Why even bother

He does have a point. Laser printers weren't exactly common in 1961, don't you think? That could have been faked by an Obama-friendly person in the Clerk's office.

To me, this is more valid proof that Obama was born in Hawaii. Several copies have been found and photographed.

http://whatreallyhappened.com/IMAGES/ObamaBirthStarBulletin.jpg
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - W. Churchill

L-188

Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:04 am

Hawaii is the state of his birth

He wasn't born in Hawaii, he was born in Kenya...Everybody knows that.

A newspaper announcement in his grandparents hometown doesn't prove anything.

No one is debating he wasn't born.......
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

2707200X

Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:19 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 32):
He wasn't born in Hawaii, he was born in Kenya...Everybody knows that.

No one is debating he wasn't born.......

I guess science books can't prove either that the Earth is round and goes around the Sun, the Earth is flat just look at the horizon. Even if birthers get shown the certificate they will never believe it.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

Dreadnought

Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:41 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 32):

Why would the birth of a kid in Kenya be published in Honolulu papers? Surely they didn't plan on his running for political office and put together a facade when he was born?

I agree the non-original birth certificate alone would not be sufficient proof of his US birth. But the newspapers in multiple archive copies are irrefutable, and in combination I'm fully satisfied that he born in the US.

The Birthers need to give it up. There are more than enough legitimate reasons to want Obama out.

L-188

Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:01 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 34):
Why would the birth of a kid in Kenya be published in Honolulu papers?

The grandparents who live there told the paper?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Continental

Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:08 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 35):
The grandparents who live there told the paper?
Quoting Slider (Reply 29):

I seriously can't believe this! It's like dealing with the kids when you were younger who never stopped saying, "I know you are, but what am I? I know you are, but what am I?"

Alias1024

Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:34 am

Quoting Boeing1970 (Reply 17):
Who the heck knows what he was talking about on this. Even his supporters in this thread can't figure it out.

It seems pretty cut and dry. The clip from the interview is straightforward and easy to understand. The only way it doesn't make sense is if you are unaware that Hawaii suffered a fairly large earthquake a few years back.

Quoting planespotting (Reply 6):
He didn't say anything about the "real" Louisiana Purchase - he called it a Louisiana Provision, which is basically a bone that he threw to Mary Landrieu to get her to vote for healthcare reform. Basically, any state where all countys declare a disaster will automatically qualify for extra Medicaid funding.

It took me less than five seconds to look this up and figure out that it had nothing to do with the actual Louisiana Purchase. I don't know why anyone else would think it did either.

Exactly. This isn't tough to figure out.

There are legitimate reasons to disagree with policies President Obama has pursued. This kind of fishing expedition though just ends up looking desperate, just like it did when it was liberals doing it to President Bush.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

planespotting

Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:10 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 31):
He does have a point. Laser printers weren't exactly common in 1961, don't you think? That could have been faked by an Obama-friendly person in the Clerk's office.

That is also true, but that actually seems to be how the state of Hawaii does their birth certificate records these days. It's not like the actual government in Hawaii is saying that his birth did not happen there or the documents that he has are otherwise fraudulent. I also don't see anyone else coming forward with a different looking Hawaii birth certificate.

Mainly, it looks like Hawaii has a unique system for birth certificate storage/requests. But that's not Obama's fault.