dxing

Detroit Fire Truck Left On Tracks Gets Hit!

Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:00 pm

This is why you don't ever ever leave any part of your vehicle hanging over the tracks for any reason. The truck cost $600,000 dollars. It won't be easily replaced given Detroit's financial situation.

http://www.thetimesherald.com/articl...smashes-firetruck-parked-on-tracks

Here's the video link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snq3UlHE4Lw

[Edited 2010-03-24 15:03:47]
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

aircatalonia

RE: Detroit Fire Truck Left On Tracks Gets Hit!

Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:05 pm

That cop car was fast to react!

Jetsgo

Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:07 pm

Wow!   

I would have probably shit myself if I was in that Crown-Vic. Glad he was able to throw it in reverse in time and GTFO!
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

A346Dude

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:07 am

You would think first responders would know better than to leave their vehicles on an active crossing. I'm guessing there is more to this than meets the eye.
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

Airstud

Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:23 pm

Quoting A346Dude (Reply 3):
You would think first responders would know better than to leave their vehicles on an active crossing.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Is Detroit really going to have to shell out to replace the fire truck? I thought maybe there's insurance for that. Then again, what insurance company would write a policy to cover emergency response vehicles...that would be commercial suicide.
Pancakes are delicious.

fr8mech

Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:32 pm

Yes, emergency vehicles are insured.

Looks like the vehicles were waiting on cross traffic.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

tz757300

Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:35 pm

I'm guessing there is more to this than meets the eye.

Yes there is

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 5):
Looks like the vehicles were waiting on cross traffic.

Actually, that is not that case. I was reading about this a couple of weeks ago and what happened is that there was an accident at that location the fire department was responding to and parked the truck on the tracks. Then soon enough, the truck became involved in their own accident.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

fr8mech

Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:51 pm

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 6):
parked the truck on the tracks.

The, quite simply, the apparatus operator and the officer should be out of a job. Pretty well, unacceptable to park a vehicle on the tracks.

You just don't do that until you have confirmation from the RR company that train traffic has been stopped in both directions. Just making the request doesn't cut it.

KevinL1011

Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:54 pm

What a bunch of dumb asses! Like, you can't hear a train coming from miles away.

I'm guessing there is more to this than meets the eye.

Incompetance? Ignorance? That's what meets my eyes.

This is the kind of stuff you see happening in under-developed 3rd world nations. Heck, no loss. They probably didn't know how to use that truck anyway. Why was a ladder truck responding to a TC? I'm surprised that Detriot hasn't burned to the ground yet with shit for brains firefighters like that.
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

fr8mech

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:02 pm

Quoting kevinl1011 (Reply 8):
Heck, no loss. They probably didn't know how to use that truck anyway. Why was a ladder truck responding to a TC? I'm surprised that Detriot hasn't burned to the ground yet with shit for brains firefighters like that.

Now, let's not get too snippy. I can't really tell, but it could be a rear-mount quint. We rolled a quint as first due in the response area to an MVA. When I first started, we carried our extrication tools on a 100' tiller, because it didn't fit on our '70's era Macks.

Different departments have different SOP's for response.

Though, I don't know of any that say you can be stopped on unsecured railroad tracks.

nwadeicer

Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:37 pm

Quoting kevinl1011 (Reply 8):
What a bunch of dumb asses! Like, you can't hear a train coming from miles away.

Incompetance? Ignorance? That's what meets my eyes.

This is the kind of stuff you see happening in under-developed 3rd world nations. Heck, no loss. They probably didn't know how to use that truck anyway. Why was a ladder truck responding to a TC? I'm surprised that Detriot hasn't burned to the ground yet with shit for brains firefighters like that.

Did you get beat up by a fireman early in life?
I miss the Red Tail

dxing

Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:41 pm

One of the things I find most interesting is how little the camera moves when the the train hits the truck. That should give everyone some idea of the weight of those locomotives. Think about how much less it would move if that were a Toyota Prius!
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

dragon6172

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:02 pm

Mama always said..."Don't play with your firetruck on the railroad tracks you #%& idiot"
Phrogs Phorever

GDB

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:23 pm

I understand the fashionable phrase for this is 'Epic Fail!'

Love to be a fly on the wall at the meetings to discuss this incident.

It also reminds me of a spectacular but deliberate demonstration in the UK in 1984, when it was decided to allay fears of the transportation of nuclear material by rail, in what was called 'Operation Smash Hit'.
Also to piss off Greenpeace who had heavily campaigned against this, which as this BBC News report from the time, shows;

http://videosift.com/video/Spectacul...-Train-Crash-Test-of-Nuclear-Flask

Pics from a young photographer at the time;

http://www.hentis-rail.co.uk/Opsmashit/opsmashhit.html

KevinL1011

Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:29 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 9):
Now, let's not get too snippy

Yeah, I was a bit too harsh but I really hate to see equipment get tore up like that when it could have been avoided.

Quoting dragon6172 (Reply 12):
Mama always said..."Don't play with your firetruck on the railroad tracks you #%& idiot"

474218, Carl, You will be missed.

johns624

Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:37 am

Quoting DXing (Reply 11):
One of the things I find most interesting is how little the camera moves when the the train hits the truck. That should give everyone some idea of the weight of those locomotives.

Yeah, a C-C trucked loco weighs about 400,000lbs. A 100 car coal train is 10,000+ tons.

57AZ

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:47 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 5):
Yes, emergency vehicles are insured.

Indeed, but many cities are self insured. If that is indeed the case, then the Detroit taxpayers will have to come up not only with the cash to replace the wrecked engine, but pay for any damages to the railroad locomotive, cars and any injury claims.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."