ua777222

Hertz International Vehicle Insurance Deductible?

Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:29 pm

Quick question here:

I'm off to SXM next week and we're going to get a car for the four days that we're there. The only thing that I hear endlessly about traveling to SXM is that cars are broken into all the time and that the insurance is worth getting. So, I call up the Hertz #1 desk to make the reservation and asked for added insurance. Great $12.00 a day.

However, she tells me at the end that there's a 1,600 Euro deductible that needs to be held on my credit card when I arrive.

I've never heard of an amount this high. Sure 250 euros or maybe even 500, but $2,000 USD?

Is this common?
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

ltbewr

RE: Hertz International Vehicle Insurance Deductible?

Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:49 am

The deductable is probably gone up for some high risk areas. That is also to get you to buy their overpriced Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) coverage to make more profit on you. Outside of the USA and Canada, your personal car insurance won't cover you for any deductables. Check your credit cards to see if it will provide automatic LDW or where for a fixed rate per rental, you are covered for the period of time you choose to rent for, usually up to 31 days in many countries. Check you credit card agreement or call your credit card providers to see what coverage is available and where.

ua777222

Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:18 am

Quoting Ltbewr (Reply 1):
The deductable is probably gone up for some high risk areas. That is also to get you to buy their overpriced Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) coverage to make more profit on you. Outside of the USA and Canada, your personal car insurance won't cover you for any deductables. Check your credit cards to see if it will provide automatic LDW or where for a fixed rate per rental, you are covered for the period of time you choose to rent for, usually up to 31 days in many countries. Check you credit card agreement or call your credit card providers to see what coverage is available and where.

That's the thing, the 1,600 euro hold is placed on your card when you add the $12/day LDW coverage.

That's why I'm perplexed about it.
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

QANTAS077

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:40 am

use Avis instead...I can check some rates if you want.

varigb707

Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:47 am

I cannot speak for other countries, but here in th U.S. Hertz will hold a $200 deposit on top of the estimated charges.
Also, Hertz reservation reps do not quote coverages (that are usually available at time of rental), so that amount seems excessive. Check with the CSR, at time of pickup, for their coverage prices.
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.