boeingfever777
Topic Author

US Army Says "goodbye" To Whoppers And DQ.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:32 pm

U.S. bases in Afghanistan say goodbye to Whoppers, DQ

What do you think? Good or Bad idea on the Pentagons part. I think it has pros and cons both.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

airtran737

RE: US Army Says "goodbye" To Whoppers And DQ.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:41 pm

Quoting boeingfever777 (Thread starter):

Bagram still has Pizza Hut, and a chicken place, as well as plenty of other food options. They can do whatever they want, just as long as they don't take away the Taco Bell in Rota. I love that place!
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

sw733

Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:54 pm

Good or Bad idea on the Pentagons part.

Bad idea. These people are putting their lives on the line and often live very stressful lives over there. Is it so hard to give them a taste of home from time to time when they have to go, many times, a year without actually seeing home?

Kiwirob

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:31 pm

when you read the reasoning in the article I agree with what is being done, it's not holiday camp or Disneyland, it's a warzone.

UH60FtRucker

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:47 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 2):
Bad idea. These people are putting their lives on the line and often live very stressful lives over there. Is it so hard to give them a taste of home from time to time when they have to go, many times, a year without actually seeing home?

Wrong, it's a great idea.

This news is actually almost 2 months old, and is much larger in scale than a few burger stands. They're actually removing something like 120 fast food vendor locales from theater, as well as Oakley stores, military car sales, pizza huts, O.Julius, etc. And it's a fantastic decision. Aside from the argument that the space is needed for the surge, the better argument is that they're detrimental to the force. Soldiers are coming home, on average, 20-30lbs heavier than when they deployed. Coupled with the fact that new recruits coming into the Army are fatter each year, and there is little time for gaining units to whip them in shape prior to deployments... it's becoming an epidemic.

These establishments are providing cheap, unhealthy, food to an already stressed force (even the Fobbits). Numerous studies have shown the benefits of what healthy eating and exercise can do for stress reduction.

Having been stationed at more austere bases, trips to KAF and BAF were exhibits of the obscene. Boardwalks of countless fast food restaurants, with lines of overweight fat asses standing outside. And there are two quotes that I would like to highlight:

Quote:
This is a war zone - not an amusement park. — CSM Michael Hall

and

Quote:
If the physical fitness of America’s youth does not improve, then it will be a major national security issue within 10 years. — LTG Mark P. Hertling
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

desertjets

Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:07 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 4):
These establishments are providing cheap, unhealthy, food to an already stressed force (even the Fobbits). Numerous studies have shown the benefits of what healthy eating and exercise can do for stress reduction.

I thought a bit about this issue presented in the blog entry and I gotta agree with Aaron here -- especially as he has been there and knows first hand. While providing the comforts of home to our fighting men and women is important, providing them with fatty, greasy, shitty food is not. I'd rather see the uplift space and $$$ used to provide better food in the messes at the main and forward bases. At the end of the day I think the decision to provide more access to phones and internet is a better morale booster than a Whopper with cheese.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

N1120A

Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:22 pm

Oakley stores

I generally agree with you on the elimination of fa(s)t food, but Oakley stores aren't a bad thing. Weren't they originally designed for the military and don't they offer a substantial discount? In such a sunny theater, it makes sense to sell high quality shades.

As an aside, I think the military should replace these places with places like Subway and El Pollo Loco, which will remind soldiers of home and provide much better nutrition. And how about smoothie bars that use all healthy ingredients and high quality protein?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

vikkyvik

Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:54 pm

Not sure how I feel about this yet, but I do find it interesting that they decided not to ban cigarettes just a few months ago, but now they're removing fast-food eateries.

Curious.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Venus6971

Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:15 pm

The bigger picture is reduces our logistics trail which supplies these shops which have to be trucked through Pakistan which is very vunerable to Taliban,Al Quida attacks. Many a truck driver usally a third country national have been killed so troops can have starbucks coffee and useless fubu brand clothing they can't wear in theater being stocked at the bx.
I would help you but it is not in the contract

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:07 pm

Mixed feelings about this one. I can see both sides. I can see the argument for healthier eating, especially in the war zone, but I know even at Ramstein Air Base in Germany, even with great German options on and off base, the American options provided on base were a welcome taste of home.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 6):
And how about smoothie bars that use all healthy ingredients and high quality protein?

Not sure about the overseas facilities, but the on-base gyms state-side often have a smoothie bar.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

iairallie

Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:56 am

I think the military should replace these places with places like Subway

Some of the overseas bases do. There is a subway at the ramstein terminal.

We always looked forward to dinner at the Chili's in Kadena if we had been flying asia for several weeks. Don't get me wrong I love local cuisine but sometimes you get a little homesick and having a meal from home helps and we are only out for maybe a month at a time.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

airtran737

Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:02 am

Quoting Iairallie (Reply 10):

There's a Chili's at Osan as well.

I have gone AOG in OAA a couple times, and it is always comforting to know that we can wander off the bird and go get some good chow at DQ. Now we are going to have to go to the chow hall. Bummer
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

N1120A

Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:33 am

Quoting airtran737 (Reply 11):

There's a Chili's at Osan as well.

Giant fried onions aren't exactly the best choice either.

L-188

Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:15 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 9):
I know even at Ramstein Air Base in Germany, even with great German options on and off base, the American options provided on base were a welcome taste of home.

Got to agree there. When it comes to food I feel the US miltiary does underappreciate it's value, which is one of the reasons I have heard of MRE to French ration of 10 to 1 for trading stock.

But there is also a point about the logistic trail required.

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 5):
At the end of the day I think the decision to provide more access to phones and internet is a better morale booster than a Whopper with cheese.

I think you underestimate the morale booster of a Whopper. I remember the first one I got to have after basic training graduation at Ft. Jackson S.C. It was in the same Burger King that about three years later Danny Devito filmed a scene for "Rennisance Man" in. Like I said I still remember that burger.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

UH60FtRucker

Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:02 am

F*ck burgers. Especially when it does this in theater

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g52/UH60PilotIraq/Random%201/815297.jpg

Disgusting.

L-188

Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:51 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 14):
F*ck burgers. Especially when it does this in theater

That really pissed me off, especially when I remember that I was kicked out in 94' on a weight chapter.

Mudboy

Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:37 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 14):

OMG, you beat me to it. I love the pic of the fit Marine sitting there wit the fat Army guy behind him in the DFAC.

I am in Iraq, which is a world away from Afghan, and my base has everything you can name, except McDonalds. I will say, I always eat at the DFACs and stay away from the fast food, but sometimes you can't get to the DFACs before they close, and the fast food is an option.
I understand both sides of this as well. There are too many fat soldiers in theater, and something needs to be done.
I will say, I have yet to see an out of shape Marine, though.

iairallie

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:43 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 12):
Giant fried onions aren't exactly the best choice either.

Not as part of a regular diet no. But splitting one with a group of friends once in a while isn't a health issue.

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 16):
I will say, I have yet to see an out of shape Marine, though.

Thats why they are my favorite! I love it when we get a plane load of Marine eye candy.

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 16):
There are too many fat soldiers in theater, and something needs to be done.

If logistics is the reason fine but if it is because there are too many fat soldiers this is not the solution. They shouldn't take away a creature comfort from everyone because there are some out of shape soldiers they should deal directly with the problem soldiers. This is the military they can give the fatties mandatory PT and bar them from eating at these estabishments until they get into better fighting form.

Aaron747

Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:18 pm

Quoting Iairallie (Reply 17):
Not as part of a regular diet no. But splitting one with a group of friends once in a while isn't a health issue.

Sure, but they can do that with friends when they're on leave. When they're on the job it's a detriment to a fundamental part of readiness - namely mental and physical fitness. For a lot of people who like that kind of food, once in awhile simply isn't enough - there are people who grow up on that crap because their parents have fed it to them from day one.

Quoting Iairallie (Reply 17):
This is the military they can give the fatties mandatory PT and bar them from eating at these estabishments until they get into better fighting form.

Sounds to me like those eating establishments are still part of the problem then - otherwise why would they need to be barred from eating there? It's not just the fried food - it's everything, the ingredients with fake cheeses and processed white breads, portion sizes, sauces, etc. American fast foods offer nothing even remotely nutritional in value other than high calorie counts, and that doesn't help anyone. I've always ate well and watched my intake of processed food, and even so, and within two months of arriving in Japan easily shed 10 pounds without changing activity levels despite a plethora of fried food and meat-favoring diet.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

fxramper

Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:51 pm

Never served in the military here so difficult to accurately comment on how a place like BK or DQ makes a guy feel after being on a mission / patrol or getting shot at.

I think the military should replace these places with places like Subway and El Pollo Loco

Absolutely. Bring in healthier options!   

LMP737

Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:59 am

Soldiers are coming home, on average, 20-30lbs heavier than when they deployed.

Twenty to thirty pounds???!!!!! In four years in the Navy I put on fifteen pounds, of course I had grown two inches. Even bubble heads, submarine types, on average put on around ten in a deployment. That's from being locked up in a steel tube eating the best chow the Navy has to offer.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

N1120A

Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:41 pm

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 20):

Incidentally, do ships have proper gyms on them? How about submarines?

LMP737

Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:40 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 21):
Incidentally, do ships have proper gyms on them?

Aircraft carriers have very good gyms on them. I can only speak for them since I've never been on other type vessels.

GDB

Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:11 am

Aside from limiting the crap food outlets, surely there must be some fearsome NCO's around to take one look at those fat guys and get them drilling, running etc?

Don't they have regular P.T. tests?

And don't make uniforms to fit guys like those, therefore making them improperly dressed if they don't get into shape.

MD11Engineer

Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:14 am

Last time I was in KBL, we brought a load of food in for the French ISAF troops. I understand that food from home can be a morale booster for the troops out in the field. The load appasrently consistet of fresh foods packed in dry ice, among it definitely cheese (no joking, the cargo hold of our 747F smelled of it). Also mail from home, which is oimportant for the morale of the troops as well. But I´m quite sure that the French serve more healthy food to their troops (I don´t know if they are still allowed their glass of wine with dinner). On the other hand, I´ve never seen a fat French soldier (or a British one, as it is).

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

elmothehobo

Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:03 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 23):
Don't they have regular P.T. tests?

Bi-annually when at home, I don't know about downrange.

With a decreasing force commitment, there have been improvements in the quality of soldier being produced, namely soldiers who might have gotten through training without actually passing height and weight standards or PT tests are now being held up from entering active duty or further training (or being prevented from entering the Army in the first place).

rfields5421

Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:03 pm

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 22):
Quoting N1120A (Reply 21):
Incidentally, do ships have proper gyms on them?

Aircraft carriers have very good gyms on them. I can only speak for them since I've never been on other type vessels.

The smaller the ship, the fewer options, the less space available for the equipment.

I've never seen more than a weight bench on a submarine, and then it had to be a small one which could folded up and stowed when not in use. But that was a long time ago.

One issue on smaller ships is the mounting necessary to make sure heavy equipment does not move around when the ship gets into heavy weather.

UH60FtRucker

Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:22 pm

And how about smoothie bars that use all healthy ingredients and high quality protein?

On the bigger bases you can find smoothie bars at the gyms, but the nature of Afghanistan means that a lot of soldiers are stationed at much smaller, remote, locations that do not offer such things.

Quoting ElmoTheHobo (Reply 25):
Bi-annually when at home, I don't know about downrange.

The regulation still pertains to those deployed, but whether or not it is actually adhered to is at the discretion of the commander. Back during the height of the Iraq War, PT was rare, but it's getting much better.

Quoting ElmoTheHobo (Reply 25):
With a decreasing force commitment, there have been improvements in the quality of soldier being produced, namely soldiers who might have gotten through training without actually passing height and weight standards or PT tests are now being held up from entering active duty or further training (or being prevented from entering the Army in the first place).

I'm not exactly sure where you're getting your information, could you provide a source?

I only ask, because your comment goes against everything that we are seeing. Granted, the Army has stopped many of the waivers... but they're often for criminal records, or major health concerns. Saying that we are getting more "picky" when it comes to weight, is simply false.

In fact, they just announced that they are lowering the standard for recruits to pass basic training. Cutting in half the old standard, down to 1 minute of sit-ups and push-ups, and 1 mile run.

The basic quality of recruits has steadily declined, and the pressure for the basic training brigades to get them to the necessary level has been immense. But whatever gains the recruit makes during those 10 weeks is often lost during AIT, where there are no longer drill sergeants overseeing them. So the responsibility then passes to the gaining unit to ready the new soldier. However, with the deployment cycles, there usually isn't enough time for the unit to get the soldier in shape. So these unhealthy soldiers - who haven't gotten a good work out since basic - are sent to theater, where they work 14hrs a day, eat Burger King and pizza, and never work out.

So how is it any wonder that these kids are coming home 20-30lbs heavier? Basic training is no longer the crucible which weeds out the fit from the unfit, AIT no longer maintains the gains made during basic, and the gaining units are too over taxed to spend the time needed to bring them up to speed. It's a destructive cycle.

elmothehobo

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:33 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 27):
I'm not exactly sure where you're getting your information, could you provide a source?

It's what I've noticed in ROTC, and from what my drill sergeants were telling me this past summer, and I should have emphasized it may be on the officer side. We had a few "fat kids" so to speak who "graduated" from LTC (Cadet Basic training, basically a month long cake walk) but won't be contracted when they get back to their respective host programs, something that would not have happened two years ago, although 2009 was the first year that every training slot at LTC was accounted for (7 training cycles with ~250 cadets each) and virtually everyone completed the program.

I only ask, because your comment goes against everything that we are seeing. Granted, the Army has stopped many of the waivers... but they're often for criminal records, or major health concerns. Saying that we are getting more "picky" when it comes to weight, is simply false.

Stopping the waivers is what I've seen most - GPA, age and APFT. It was possible to contract cadets on a "50-50-50" basis (50% on Run/Push Ups/Sit-ups), but that has all but ended. While I cannot attest to cadets not passing height and weight, there is a pretty good correlation between cadets not passing height and weight and not passing the APFT at 60-60-60.

Moreover, I started this year with 23 cadets who intended on commissioning in FY2011, that has been cut down to just 16 in a matter of months, again, something that would not have been seen two years ago.

In fact, they just announced that they are lowering the standard for recruits to pass basic training. Cutting in half the old standard, down to 1 minute of sit-ups and push-ups, and 1 mile run.

Our first APFT at camp was exactly that, our last two was the standard APFT. I truly stand corrected if that is the case.

MoltenRock

Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:14 am

What do you think? Good or Bad idea on the Pentagons part. I think it has pros and cons both.

Good god. Can Americans not go anywhere without gorging themselves on craptastic faux "food"? Americans are the only group of people I've ever spent time with that can laud "chicken fingers" while saying they hate "chicken on the bone". Truly bizarre.

This is a soldier of appropriate weight/height:

This is NOT!

This IS appropriate:

This is NOT!

[Edited 2010-03-30 00:21:40]

N1120A

Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:23 am

On the bigger bases you can find smoothie bars at the gyms, but the nature of Afghanistan means that a lot of soldiers are stationed at much smaller, remote, locations that do not offer such things.

But they can put in a Burger King? So odd.

fraspotter

Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:40 am

Quoting Iairallie (Reply 10):
Some of the overseas bases do. There is a subway at the ramstein terminal.

Actually that closed when the new "KMC Center" BX/PX mall opened up next door... It's not totally gone, it just moved to the new facility...
"Taking off is optional. It’s landing that’s mandatory."

MD11Engineer

Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:45 am

You forget that only a minority of the soldiers in e.g. Afghanistan are actually in frontline duty. Most are working in offices in some base and are minding paperwork, logistics etc., sitting the whole day at a desk in front of a computer. No wonder these go fat unless they mind their own bodies (e.g. by working out regularly). They probably need the incentive from above through officers and NCOs to be forced to get into shape. After all their safe base might be under attack some day and they might have to remember their old, semi forgotten skills from boot camp, like basic infantry tactics.

Jan

GDB

Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:06 pm

Quoting ElmoTheHobo (Reply 28):
cake walk

An appropriate way of putting it, by accident or design?

elmothehobo

Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:13 pm

Good idea downrange, but anything in moderation is ok. The problem is the unhealthy foods combined with intense stress makes for a damaging situation for the human body. It is simply something that must be dealt with.

Now what I am (wholeheartedly) against is the Bible thumpers who want(ed) to get dirty magazines taken from overseas and domestic military posts.

dw747400

Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:00 pm

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 29):
Good god. Can Americans not go anywhere without gorging themselves on craptastic faux "food"?

Somewhat Ironic all of your images are not of members of the American Military. Perhaps "gorging on craptastic faux food" is not as uniquely American as you imply...
CFI--Certfied Freakin Idiot

UH60FtRucker

Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:07 am

Quoting ElmoTheHobo (Reply 28):
Moreover, I started this year with 23 cadets who intended on commissioning in FY2011, that has been cut down to just 16 in a matter of months, again, something that would not have been seen two years ago.

Unfortunately I don't think you can use the cadet corps as an appropriate gauge for enlisted recruitment, and basic training standards.

In fact, there have been numerous high level officials (I quoted one earlier) who have remarked on the rapidly declining health of incoming recruits. Basically without increasing the number of waivers, it will be extremely difficult to field recruits who meet Army standards, within the next decade.

The problem is that basic training was once the crucible that separated those who were fit for military service, from those who were not. If you could not pass basic training, then you were kicked out. All of that changed some 9 years ago, and the pass rate for basic virtually became 100%. A lot of people have pointed to the two on going wars as the reason, and have said (as you just did), "don't worry, standards will go back up once the wars start drawing to a close."

...Yet standards to continuing to drop. Not because of two wars, but because the pool of eligible young adults is rapidly draining. American youth is increasingly unhealthy, overweight, and under prepared for the stress of military life/combat. So the sad truth is, without waivers, we are running out of options.

And all of this directly relates to another crisis in the Army: suicide. This year alone, we are on track to smash last year's record of soldiers who committed suicide. The attempted solution has been suicide prevention classes, seminars, ad campaigns, school courses, etc. But the biggest - and yet unsolved - reason for these kids killing themselves is that they are from an increasingly weak generation.

Being deployed is freakin' rough. If you've never had to deal with miserable conditions, deprivation of home comforts, grueling duty days, etc. then you are not going to be mentally prepared for the the stress. Some of these kids simply never faced a hard day in their life, and they're not equipped to deal. And some of them decide to kill themselves.

The solution is a fundamental shift in the youth, by physically and mentally strengthening them.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 30):
But they can put in a Burger King? So odd.

AAFES (the organization that provides these services to troops) contracts Burger King, and thus has an already established supply chain, and in-country infrastructure. The little guy running the smoothie bar doesn't enjoy that same system, and really can't support establishments outside the larger FOBs.

MD11Engineer

Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:11 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 36):
And all of this directly relates to another crisis in the Army: suicide. This year alone, we are on track to smash last year's record of soldiers who committed suicide. The attempted solution has been suicide prevention classes, seminars, ad campaigns, school courses, etc. But the biggest - and yet unsolved - reason for these kids killing themselves is that they are from an increasingly weak generation.

Being deployed is freakin' rough. If you've never had to deal with miserable conditions, deprivation of home comforts, grueling duty days, etc. then you are not going to be mentally prepared for the the stress. Some of these kids simply never faced a hard day in their life, and they're not equipped to deal. And some of them decide to kill themselves.

The solution is a fundamental shift in the youth, by physically and mentally strengthening them.

Part of it might be that if you are abroad (and not only in the military), many people need something at home they can relate to, let´s say a kind of anchor. This can e.g. be a girlfriend or a wife (I know, I needed it myself when i was working in Ireland. This is why it hit me so hard when I discovered that my ex back in Germany was fooling around while i was gone to earn money to feed the family).
Now I´ve heard about the german forces, when they started to deploy abroad for longer periods of time (first in Kosovo), many soldier´s relationships started to break up. Many partners would not accept that their boyfrfiend (girlfriend), husband (wife) could be ordered to go abroad for longer periods of time. And in many cases a suicide was triggered by a "Dear john" letter.

It seems that previous generations saw a longer seperation as part of a deployment as a necessity, something to go through like a visit to the dentist, not nice, but it has to be done.

Jan

iairallie

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:02 am

Quoting FRAspotter (Reply 31):
Actually that closed when the new "KMC Center" BX/PX mall opened up next door... It's not totally gone, it just moved to the new facility...
Good god. Can Americans not go anywhere without gorging themselves on craptastic faux "food"? Americans are the only group of people I've ever spent time with that can laud "chicken fingers" while saying they hate "chicken on the bone". Truly bizarre.
Quoting dw747400 (Reply 35):

Somewhat Ironic all of your images are not of members of the American Military. Perhaps "gorging on craptastic faux food" is not as uniquely American as you imply...

Exactly not one of the fatties was American. 99% of my flights are military and most of the guys look fantastic. There are some that carry some extra weight but very few look unfit or out of shape. I've never seen one like the earlier picture in almost 6 years of transporting military pax.

fraspotter

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:22 am

Quoting iairallie (Reply 38):
Exactly not one of the fatties was American. 99% of my flights are military and most of the guys look fantastic. There are some that carry some extra weight but very few look unfit or out of shape. I've never seen one like the earlier picture in almost 6 years of transporting military pax.

Ok, of the 4 photos, 2 were of fatties... I've been trying to figure out exactly which country they are from. The first fatty in the green camo judging by the sign behind him was in Russian? If not Russian, than Eastern European? The 2nd fatty was in a brown desert camo... German maybe?
"Taking off is optional. It’s landing that’s mandatory."

LMP737

Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:00 pm

So how is it any wonder that these kids are coming home 20-30lbs heavier? Basic training is no longer the crucible which weeds out the fit from the unfit, AIT no longer maintains the gains made during basic, and the gaining units are too over taxed to spend the time needed to bring them up to speed. It's a destructive cycle.

That has to be bad for the morale of those who actually take care of themselves. We had a guy in my shop who was obese and put on a wieght loss program. Part of that was to take off from work for about an hour and a half for an areobics class on base. It drove everyone nuts that while we were knee deep in broken airlplanes he was doing something he should have been doing in his off time. The real kicker was when he would come back from his work out with a Big Mac and fries. Of course he offset this with a Diet Coke.

The story does have a happy ending though. He was eventually kicked out.

[Edited 2010-03-31 08:48:32]

MD11Engineer

Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:25 pm

Quoting FRAspotter (Reply 39):
The 2nd fatty was in a brown desert camo... German maybe?

Unfortunately yes.

Jan

LMP737

Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:44 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 41):
Unfortunately yes.

A modern day Sgt Shultz perhaps?  

L-188

Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:53 am

. Can Americans not go anywhere without gorging themselves on craptastic faux "food"?

Spoken like somebody who hasn't spent a length of time on MRE's. Or worse c-rats. Somebody send him a Chicken Ala King pouch....comes with it's own toothpicks (I found lots of bones in mine)

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 36):
If you could not pass basic training, then you were kicked out. All of that changed some 9 years ago, and the pass rate for basic virtually became 100%. A lot of people have pointed to the two on going wars as the reason, and have said (as you just did), "don't worry, standards will go back up once the wars start drawing to a close."

Well I do concede that there is some evidence that may be happening, I think a bigger cause is that the Army is more desperate for recruits, which is why the standards are lower, weight, diploma, record. As I mentioned in an earlier threat I had the misfortune of trying to serve when the army wanted to cut people in 1993 and my career got cut short because of it.

Quoting FRAspotter (Reply 39):
The 2nd fatty was in a brown desert camo... German maybe?

Has that stuff made the surplus market, I think it would be great for caribou system. If not the outfit, the cloth?