fxramper
Topic Author

Obama 2nd Nominee To Lead TSA Withdraws.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:18 am

They'll get it right eventually; maybe. Maybe Sully wants the gig?   

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/top/all/6932416.html

ckfred

RE: Obama 2nd Nominee To Lead TSA Withdraws.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:27 am

Here's the bad part. What country probably has the most experience in dealing with aviation security issues?

Israel.

I've seen plenty of interviews with people who have worked in aviation with security, either for the government or with El Al. They understand that the U.S. can't adopt the Israeli style of security. We have too many airports and too many passengers. Yet, I've heard a lot of good ideas about what would work to improve aviation security in the U.S.

But, you can't have a foreign national as the head of an agency of the United States government.

catiii

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:35 am

Quoting fxramper (Thread starter):
Maybe Sully wants the gig?

Why would they want him? He's hardly qualified.

It will be interesting to see where they go next with this. Southers was a very qualified candidate but the politics worked against him. I'll admit that I was sekptical on Harding given his lack of aviation/airline/airports background, but it was definitely a job someone with his leadership abilities could grow into. I think they're having a hard time finding qualified candidates who would want to be considered for it.

crosswinds21

Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:22 am

Quoting ckfred (Reply 1):
We have too many airports and too many passengers.

It's not just that. I'd say that the biggest problem is the excessive political correctness and the fear of offending someone and being sued.

MoltenRock

Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:13 am

Meh. The entire TSA is a joke anyway, so just let the Republicans pick who they want and who they won't block over partisan b.s. Why give the TSA any more money to buy worthless scanners, swabbers, and other nonsense that doesn't work, and will only serve to continue the 100% successful streak of the TSA over never finding, arresting, and convicting a would be bomber/terrorist/wingnut/etc. The TSA has a perfect record of ineptitude, so you might as well hire "Heck of a job Browney" for the job?

seb146

Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:22 pm

Here's the bad part. What country probably has the most experience in dealing with aviation security issues?

Israel.

Not just aviation security, but security in general. Aren't they the country that, when a lone bag is seen, people clear out calmly and security forces go in and take care of it? I (and many Americans) have never seen the point of TSA. Terror organizations would try using another jet. That has already been proven. But, what we really need to do is have a department that actually follows up on leads, instead of a department that doesn't do much at the very last minute. Besides, disbanding TSA would save the government tons of money.
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

flanker

Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:36 pm

Quoting crosswinds21 (Reply 3):
It's not just that. I'd say that the biggest problem is the excessive political correctness and the fear of offending someone and being sued.

Thats the biggest problem. Too many people in this country are a bunch of pansies.
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

NIKV69

Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:42 pm

Israel.

True but we can't adopt those praactices. It would be a logistical night mare. We can't run background checks on every person who books travel in the US. We can't ask people to get to the airport 4 to 6 hours before their flight leaves. We can't check the baggage like they do. We can't interview each passenger like they do. We have to move more pax than EL AL does in a shorter period of time.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!