Aaron747
Topic Author

Who Should Run Obamacare? Mitt Romney

Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:21 am

One of the most interesting columns I've come across this week. The writer admits it's a longshot, but it's a fascinating proposition. And, ultimately it's hard to argue with the practicality of it - potential for changes from the inside from a conservative perspective, and implementation challenges that require someone with proven business capabilities and vision. Wonder if any of Mitt's staff read Slate??

Hard to disagree:

As I see it, there are three principal requirements for the job. The first is experience in management, business, and organization: maybe someone who's worked as a management consultant, an entrepreneur, and an executive in both the public and private sectors. The second is the ability and capacity to commit: someone who isn't likely to have any pressing obligations for the next several years, and who has enough cash that he or she doesn't need a large private-sector salary. Third is relevant experience in implementing a large-scale health-care reform program, ideally one that involved using an individual mandate and the private insurance system to attain near-universal health insurance.

Since we're stuck with this thing, for better or worse, we might as well get it started on the best possible foot.

http://www.slate.com/id/2249146/
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Cadet57

RE: Who Should Run Obamacare? Mitt Romney

Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:29 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Thread starter):
Hard to disagree:

Minus the fact that Romney's plan, among other things have put this state into a huge deficit. And people want this on a national level?
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

AGM100

Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:51 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 1):
Minus the fact that Romney's plan, among other things have put this state into a huge deficit. And people want this on a national level?

Yes ... "that is why the people voted for us ..and we won" ! - President Obama.

Romney , has switched ideas on this and claims that he was simply doing what the voters of Mass. wanted. He claims that it was against his principles but it was a bi partisan effort and his responsibility as governer to make it happen. Not sure that will help him gain the presidency but he is right about it ... the governer is not in position to block the will of the people.

Right now , I would vote for him . I beleive that he has the background , ideals and skills to get us back to center. But I believe that President Obama will win a second term ...
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

NIKV69

Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:01 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 1):
And people want this on a national level?

Of course they do because they have bought the propaganda fed to them by MSNBC and CNN. Unemplyment will get worse and companies will hit us with the surcharges. The equation is no secret and people don't want to foot this bill just because a couple of eltists don't like the free market.

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 2):
Yes ... "that is why the people voted for us ..and we won" ! - President Obama.

Unforuntately Obama has lost all the voters that made that possible. He won't be saying this much any more.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

AGM100

Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:20 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 3):
He won't be saying this much any more.

Dont be so sure .... I have been amazed at the arrogance of these people.

The problem also is that Romney may be able to get us .."back to center " but I am not sure that will be enough . After this administration , center has moved far left .... the next President will have to cut ...cut and cut .. I do not believe that any politician has the courage to cut as much as is needed. We will see ... it really depends on the economy and job growth.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

FlyPNS1

Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:39 pm

The interesting thing is that Obama's health care bill may very well end up being the final stake in the heart for Romney's political aspirations. While he may try to distance himself from it now, the bottomline is that Romney = government mandated health insurance. Given the Tea Party and other far right groups agitation with healthcare reform, they are going to have a hard time supporting Romney. Then add in the Evangelicals who don't want him for other reasons and it puts Romney's presidential dreams in peril.