tpa36r

Who's Buying A Ipad?

Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:14 am

If you are planning on buying one or already have, what do you think of it thus far?

Cadet57

RE: Who's Buying A Ipad?

Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:15 am

As of yesterday, before the release, there was 15 people in line at the NYC apple store   
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

alfa75

Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:19 am

I'm thinking of it.

I do have one question. How big are ebook files?
The best things in life aren't things!

ShyFlyer

Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:31 am

Quoting alfa75 (Reply 2):
How big are ebook files?

I only have a few and they range from 565kb to 1.89mb.
I lift things up and put them down.

GQfluffy

Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:47 am

Why buy a highly overrated inflated phone without the phone feature?
This isn't where I parked my car...

Cadet57

Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:53 am

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 4):

Because it's from Apple and it's the best thing ever and will change your life!

N328KF

Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:28 am

I'm not going to say that you have to go get one, but this is an overly simplistic and pedantic viewpoint.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

Cadet57

Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:38 am

Quoting N328KF (Reply 6):
I'm not going to say that you have to go get one, but this is an overly simplistic and pedantic viewpoint.

Lol no, its not. That is what an iPad is. A bloated, oversized iPhone that can't make phone calls, has a minimum of features and is overpriced. Yeah, that pretty much sums up Apple.

signol

Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:04 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 7):

Come now, it's basically a netbook without a keyboard (touch screen instead). You're paying for the Apple design. It's a cool piece of kit, but horribly overpriced for what it does.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

Cadet57

Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:08 am

Quoting signol (Reply 8):
it's basically a netbook without a keyboard (touch screen instead).

So in theory you should pay less than a netbook because it has less bits   

You're paying for the Apple design

A fool and his money...

signol

Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:11 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 9):
A fool and his money...

I've very happy with my Acer Aspire One  

signol

[Edited 2010-04-03 19:11:52]
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

aerorobnz

Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:30 am

Because I don't need a phone, but my laptop needs replacing - I hate all these cross purpose multifunction things - If I want a phone I'll buy a phone.... I currently don't have an iPod iPhone, nor do I need one or want to be traceable/contactable everywhere.

I need to use one first to see if it's the best for the purpose I need it for. If I buy an iPad it would be to catalog and edit my photos quickly and easily while I'm traveling, and maybe hooking up to a wifi connection from time to time.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

BMI727

Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:41 am

A fool and his money...

..probably aren't going to be doing much serious computing anyway, so they can get away with using a Mac.   
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

TheCol

Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:08 am

Not me. I have absolutely no use for one.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

Ken777

Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:25 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 7):
That is what an iPad is. A bloated, oversized iPhone that can't make phone calls, has a minimum of features and is overpriced. Yeah, that pretty much sums up Apple.

Typical "I Hate Apple" response. Probably said the same thing about the iPod, iPhone and iPod touch. Look what flops they turned out to be.

As for the iPad, I think it will be the optimum system when a camera is added for the grandma's - easy to have a video conference with the kids and grandkids - and none of the crap that confuses non-computer literate. Especially the ones that could care less about being computer literate.

Medicine? Gonna explode there. Check out OsiriX - and, yes, they are working on an iPad version.

Lawyers will use it for referencing. My lawyer already uses an iPhone, but will love more screen space.

Education? In a few months you'll be able to get education apps for the pre-kindy and up kids. Hand them the iPad and let it handle the repetition.

Books, photos, iWork, Numbers, Keynote, etc.

It's about to change a lot of things and the developers who see the potential are going to be doing very well.

PacNWjet

Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:14 am

What good is a "computer" that can't have more than one application open at a time?

Fly2HMO

Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:23 am

Quoting TPA36R (Thread starter):
Who's Buying A Ipad?

Everybody that has visits from Aunt Flow, regardless of their type of reproductive equipment    

cpd

Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:34 am

No, I'm not buying the Apple tablet device.

I've got the iPhone - so why do I need a larger version of it? Same as I don't see why people waste their money on silly, crippled netbooks.

Zentraedi

Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:45 am

Bought the 64GB model. My father just shipped it to me over here.

I'm kinda wishing I had purchased like 10 or so though. I've come across a few people over here willing to pay a nice premium to get one before the actual Japanese release.

Aeroflot777

Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:41 am

Stopped by the Apple store in downtown San Francisco today to see the "hype". I'll start off by saying there weren't that many people there. Most of them were cuddled into groups around a few employees (who were strategically positioned around the store), each employee was showing off the features.

Then, after deciding to join one of groups, watched the employee happily explaining the "swipe" feature of browsing through photos. One problem... every time he swiped, nothing happened. It was funny trying to watch him frantically swiping with no results. Dazed and confused, onlookers were not impressed.

Aeroflot777

[Edited 2010-04-03 23:04:39]

Zentraedi

Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:46 am

I really don't understand why people waited in line at the Apple store. The iPads were guaranteed to be delivered on Saturday, so you don't really gain anything by going out and picking one up.

andz

Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:07 am

Quoting Zentraedi (Reply 20):
so you don't really gain anything by going out and picking one up.

Apart from the narcissistic glow you get from people seeing you with one as you leave the shop.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

columba

Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:22 am

Quoting aerorobNZ (Reply 11):
If I buy an iPad it would be to catalog and edit my photos quickly and easily while I'm traveling, and maybe hooking up to a wifi connection from time to time.

Same with me, I am thinking of buying an IPad in the near future to take on my travels since I don´t want to carry my lap top all the time.
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

asuflyer05

Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:30 am

I went to the Apple store today to check it out. As an iMac and iPhone 3GS owner, I was skeptical. I have to admit though, it's pretty slick. I think it's desireability will increase as applications are developed for it. It is not a total desktop/laptop replacement. But if you need to be somewhat portable and do not need a ton of computer power, it's perfect.

I can see a bunch of uses for it within my business assuming applications are developed for it (which they are).

ramzi

Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:48 am

Quoting alfa75 (Reply 2):
How big are ebook files?

Could be under a megabyte, but sometimes go up to 200. I only have a few large ones, the majority will be 500kb to 5mb.

Come now, it's basically a netbook without a keyboard (touch screen instead). You're paying for the Apple design. It's a cool piece of kit, but horribly overpriced for what it does.

You are indeed paying for the design Apple has created, but that in itself is an important feature. The iPad does something, it serves a purpose, and Apple has designed it to fit for that target market. Of course, the advertising and fuss is pretty hollow. Apple try to market their design for its beauty and 'cool' features more than its functionality, which is what makes many mis-perceive their products. I use a wide range of Autodesk software so I stick to PCs, but my observations of Apple has led me to discover a number of successful features and a number of unsuccessful ones. I recently got my fourth iPod and I love it because it does what I want. The iPad will not do anything for me personally, and its use will be rather limited.

Quoting columba (Reply 22):
Same with me, I am thinking of buying an IPad in the near future to take on my travels since I don´t want to carry my lap top all the time.

This would be a good reason to buy an iPad, and I guess Apple is/should be focusing on telling customers that the iPad is better than a typical net book in this field. That being said, it is a great product.
There will come a time when you believe everything is finished - that will be the beginning.

MoltenRock

Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:29 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 14):
Typical "I Hate Apple" response. Probably said the same thing about the iPod, iPhone and iPod touch. Look what flops they turned out to be.

One poster on this thread certainly has a failed track record of predicting Apple product flops, failures, and demises, and yet every and I mean every, Apple thread there he is predicting similar dire warnings and mocking Apple.

To the topic at hand, we have had 2 in the office for the past few days as we have a few of our clients that have been doing quite a lot with apps and uses for Apple products like this, the iPhone, and iTouch, which also works in tandem with some of their computer software programs. I know in the US offices we have been slammed with work for medical / doctor application development as well as one of our other clients has moved to put them in the vehicles they produce and/or a similar technology.

In our offices we concentrate more on the advertising applications this new media delivery device offers our clients.

Apple will probably sell 3 to 4 million of these this year, and as many as 10 million next year. That means even at "only" 3.5 million units @ average price point, average profit margins, and average # of apps & downloads, Apple is looking at a $2.5 to $3.0 billion revenue boost, and almost another $1 billion in profit. Not bad for a launch product.

LASoctoberB6

Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:54 am

non-computer literate.

Ya know, you could have just said "computer illiterate...  

You're such a hater. 
Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 16):

Nice.   

I ain't getting one. I already have a touchscreen laptop and I love it. Soooo, no iPad. Ridiculous name, though...
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

trvyyz

Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:49 pm

I have a few questions too? can it be connected to any external memory drives? At least a USB?
It cannot play flash while browsing the internet, so how is it better than the netbook? HD size is limited and can you replace it's battery?

varigb707

Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:53 pm

Not me. At least for the time being.
Already own 2 notebooks and 2 iPods. I don't need another gadget. Besides the cost benefit is not justifiable.
It looks good though. The Ipad may be the next portable DVD player. Remember those?

[Edited 2010-04-04 08:12:49]
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

Ken777

Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:58 pm

Quoting Zentraedi (Reply 20):
I really don't understand why people waited in line at the Apple store. The iPads were guaranteed to be delivered on Saturday, so you don't really gain anything by going out and picking one up.

The fun of being there. Like going to a football game instead of watching it on TV.

Quoting LASoctoberB6 (Reply 26):
Ya know, you could have just said "computer illiterate...

I know. But that seems like a put down, especially since a lot of people decide not to become computer literate. Maybe they're the smart ones.  

Cadet57

Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:01 pm

This is being posted from a 1.83ghz Macbook Pro which is also charging my iPod classic. Actually, my second Macbook Pro because the first one died after blowing two fans and a superdrive. Tell me, who hates Apple?

Quoting LASoctoberB6 (Reply 26):
You're such a hater.

I do what I can.   

N801NW

Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:01 pm

I have a MacBook, and old Dell PC, and to many IPods's to count and I have no plans to buy one.

PacNWjet

Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:05 pm

Quoting ramzi (Reply 24):
I guess Apple is/should be focusing on telling customers that the iPad is better than a typical net book in this field.

I don't understand this comment. I own a netbook which I use at my vacation home. I can read my e-mail with it and, if I need to have access to word processing files while my e-mail program is open, I can go back and forth between the two applications. With the ipad you can't have more than one application open at a time. So, for me, the device is totally worthless as a netbook replacement. I am having a hard time figuring out why anyone would want a device with such limited capabilities as a computer. Now, having said that, it does appear that there are any number of cool applications for the ipad, and I can see someone wanting the device to perform fun and useful functions. But it certainly does not seem to have much functionality as a "computer" of any sort, including netbooks.

Cadet57

Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:08 pm

Quoting PacNWjet (Reply 32):
I am having a hard time figuring out why anyone would want a device with such limited capabilities as a computer.

Because its made by Apple, is overpriced and is hyped to make you think you need it, and that without it your digital life will never be the same.

AverageUser

Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:21 pm

Quoting PacNWjet (Reply 32):
I am having a hard time figuring out why anyone would want a device with such limited capabilities as a computer. Now, having said that, it does appear that there are any number of cool applications for the ipad, and I can see someone wanting the device to perform fun and useful functions.

I concur, perhaps it works as a sort of "extended" iPhone (with limited functionality). In all, the most important function of the device is the social one.

MCOflyer

Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:25 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 30):
Tell me, who hates Apple?

I do. I love my Dell and would not trade it for anything. I was told apples are good for graphic arts and windows for the rest by a computer expert. I can not use Microsoft Office on an Apple.

KH
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

Cadet57

Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:52 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 35):
I can not use Microsoft Office on an Apple.

Yes you can. In fact I have Office '08 on my Mac right now.

I was told apples are good for graphic arts and windows for the rest by a computer expert

Yes and no. It used to be Macs were great for graphics and video because the software was really only on Mac. But now both PC's and Mac's are both very capable.

EA CO AS

Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:21 pm

There's no denying the iPad is a slick little device. Having said that, however:

- it lacks USB ports
- it lacks a forward-facing webcam
- it doesn't support Flash
- it comes with 64GB of storage, MAXIMUM

A netbook is far more capable and flexible, and not to mention less money as well.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

BMI727

Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:29 pm

I was told apples are good for graphic arts and windows for the rest by a computer expert.

Pretty much.

I can not use Microsoft Office on an Apple.

You can, but like most Apple things, it drives me up a wall when I have to use it. Usually it is better to just wait and use a Windows PC since I will get things done in less time.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

ohthedrama747

Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:31 pm

I do. I love my Dell and would not trade it for anything. I was told apples are good for graphic arts and windows for the rest by a computer expert. I can not use Microsoft Office on an Apple.

You hate Apple products based on this statement? As Cadet says, Microsoft Office can be used on Macs, they are developing the '11 version right now. It looks pretty good based on what's been leaked so far.

The so called Computer Expert also sounds dubious at best.

Zentraedi

Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:40 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 37):
A netbook is far more capable and flexible, and not to mention less money as well.

A netbook is a very different device. You are comparing a butter knife to a pizza cutter.

I ordered an iPad and for every scenario in which I'd use it, a netbook would be more awkward.

RussianJet

Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:44 pm

I'd rather eat my own head than waste my hard-earned cash on this rubbish.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

Phoenix9

Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:54 pm

I'll just leave this here:

Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

wingman

Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:59 pm

I saw one live yesterday guys and I'm sorry to say to naysayers like Cadet...it will be another major game-changer. If you are a content consumer in your personal life vs. a content creator, and what you want to do is surf, text, and watch video then this thing is simply amazing. Soon enough the next release will come and once it integrates phone service then I can see how people will walk out the door and ask themselves, am I going biking or rock climbing (take the old phone). Am I going anywhere else (vacation, cafe, out to the park for the day, over to friends?)..take the iPad.

If you're just a naysayer then go ahead and pan Apple till the end of days or just buy some stock. Steve Jobs knows how people want to interact and live with technology better than any other person alive today. It's as simple as that. I own a 5 year old iMac that's been serviced at The Store twice and has had maybe $300 invested in it for back up drives, new parts etc. And while I'm about to trade in for a new iBook my point is that my 5 year old computer still performs almost as well as the day it was born and never in my life have I ever been able to say that about any other computing device. It's the same philosophy as buying a Benz. Any car can get you from A to B, but if you can afford it and value high performance, quality, reliability and yes, prestige, then Apple is it.

You naysayers are loud and proud, but very soon you will find yourselves all alone once again telling the world how stupid it is while you secretly covet the very things you pretend to hate.

EA CO AS

Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:43 pm

Quoting Zentraedi (Reply 40):
Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 37):

A netbook is a very different device. You are comparing a butter knife to a pizza cutter.

I ordered an iPad and for every scenario in which I'd use it, a netbook would be more awkward.

It's perfectly valid to compare the iPad with a netbook, particularly since Steve Jobs himself, on the day the iPad was unveiled, went out of his way to discuss how it was better than a netbook.

Again, it's a slick device, don't get me wrong. I just think its current iteration is lacking things that would truly make it a game-changer. Add a USB port so I can move content to it more easily. Add a forward-facing webcam so I can use it for web conferences. Give it a 250GB capacity so I can use it as a portable storage device.

And for the love of God, have it support Flash so I can truly enjoy the web!

If Apple had included what I've mentioned, I'd have been one of those "Day One Adopters" without question.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

alberchico

Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:04 pm

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this but think of all the aviation iPhone apps that can now be brought over to the ipad

http://www.foreflight.com/

http://garmin.blogs.com/.a/6a00d83451bb7069e2011572319b5a970b-800wi

short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

PacNWjet

Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:07 pm

Quoting wingman (Reply 43):
If you're just a naysayer then go ahead and pan Apple till the end of days or just buy some stock.

I'm not a naysayer, I am simply genuinely curious about the claims made about the ipad. I certainly can see how someone might own the device in addition to a computer, but I don't understand how it is better than or would replace a computer of any sort, whether it is of the desktop, laptop, or netbook variety. For my own purposes, I use my desktop and netbook computers both for fun and for work. When I am working I need a keyboard that is easy and comfortable to use and I need to be able to have multiple applications open simultaneously including word processing, e-mail, and Internet browsing programs (and occasionally a spreadsheet program, too). I just can't see how an ipad would make my life easier, but I can easily imagine how it would be made much harder. I might get an ipad one day largely for entertainment and hobby purposes, but I don't understand why anyone would say it is superior to a traditional computer in any way.

AverageUser

Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:26 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 44):
And for the love of God, have it support Flash so I can truly enjoy the web!

I'm sorry Sir, but we are unable to do that...it's against Company policy.

wingman

Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:45 pm

I agree with you there, I don't think it'll replace the home computer or laptop anytime soon. What it will replace is the casual/personal transportation of such devices. Adults and kids can now both take a much more transportable device around with them in stead of laptops. What I see over the next 5 years is people having both but really never taking the laptop anywhere. Work will "always" be different. And I think 95% of the world user base is probably as content-consumer driven as I am, in which case the lack of this flask thingy probably doesn't matter in release 1. At a dinner party last night the iPad I saw in actual use seemed to blaze pretty quickly across the web. I don't know what you guys are doing on the web that you won't "truly" enjoy this device but I'm sure next year's release will finally satisfy your complex requirements (or maybe you'll just have new ones to make sure Apple is never good enough). Meanwhile just sit back and pull your hair out as Jobs defies all odds yet again. Betting against this guy is like walking blindfolded across the Autobahn.

PacNWjet

Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:03 pm

Quoting wingman (Reply 48):
Meanwhile just sit back and pull your hair out as Jobs defies all odds yet again.

I spend about as much time holding a grudge against Apple for making tons of money selling technology as a I do holding a grudge against Frito Lay for making tons of money selling Doritos, that is to say, next to zero. But just as I like Doritos but don't need them, I can see liking an ipad but not need one. This isn't about disliking Apple (I never give it any thought), it's about not understanding why I would need such a device as mush as I might like one.