ua777222

6.9 Quake Hits Mexicali: CA, AZ Shaken

Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:19 pm

Aftershocks throughout the San Andreas Fault as far north as northern California.

Live in the Bay Area but away on vacation in SXM. Keeping fixers crossed.

No deaths or major damage reported yet.
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

NIKV69

RE: 6.9 Quake Hits Mexicali: CA, AZ Shaken

Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:21 pm

Wow house shook pretty bad. I thought at first it was a big gust of wind but soon realized it wasn't. Trippy! Going out to check the pool for damgage.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak.../recenteqsww/Quakes/ci14607652.php

Here is the google earth image showing where I was and where epicenter was.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/9fecf683b1.jpg
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

PSA53

Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:25 pm

It was minor from here in Fontana.It was a rolling effect and did shake product on hanging pegs pretty good.I haven't heard from sister outside of SAN yet.Hope everyone is ok down there.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

ua777222

Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:25 pm

5.1 just hit Imperial, CA.

Creeping north...

KevinL1011

Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:29 pm

It seemed to roll for 15-20 seconds. I added water to my pool just this morning and about an inch splashed out. There are more quakes in the area being reported that are not aftershocks.
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

NIKV69

Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:30 pm

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 2):
It was minor from here in Fontana.It was a rolling effect and did shake product on hanging pegs pretty good.I haven't heard from sister outside of SAN yet.Hope everyone is ok down there.

I'm just outside SD and house shook pretty nicely but nothing came off shelves. Pool looks ok but doing a better inspection in a few.

KevinL1011

Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:32 pm

Quoting UA777222 (Reply 3):
5.1 just hit Imperial, CA.

A 3.6 just hit the same area ( Salton Sea)
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

ua777222

Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:35 pm

Amazingly, LA area is free of any centered shocks per USGA reporting.

PSA53

Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:38 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 5):
Quoting PSA53 (Reply 2):

I'm just outside SD and house shook pretty nicely but nothing came off shelves. Pool looks ok but doing a better inspection in a few.

Thanks for the info.She lives in the Potrero area,east of SAN.So,I would think she felt the blunt of the quake.

Update.Just got off the phone with sister.She's fine and TV is reporting that there is no major damage.Very Good!

[Edited 2010-04-04 16:45:15]
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

NIKV69

Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:52 pm

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 8):
Thanks for the info.She lives in the Potrero area,east of SAN.So,I would think she felt the blunt of the quake.

Update.Just got off the phone with sister.She's fine and TV is reporting that there is no major damage.Very Good!

I was in Crest, on the east side of El Cajon. So far pool looks ok but hoping there are no small cracks. Glad all is ok!

mbmbos

Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:18 am

I was talking to my sister-in-law, who lives in Orange County, when it happened.

They said it lasted about half a minute. For a few minutes we didn't talk on the phone while they tried to determine whether it was going to get worse.

Anyway, it ended well for them.

seb146

Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:19 am

I live in Santa Rosa and felt nothing. We don't even feel the quakes from The Gysers. My cousin in Poway said he lost some water out of his pool and his house creeked a bit, but is fine.
Life in the wall is a drag.

Jetsgo

Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:19 am

My brother called me just after it happened. He 's stationed at Marine Corps Air Station Yuma and said things shook pretty well, but nothing was damaged. He also mentioned that it sent off many alarms around town.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

Zkpilot

Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:46 am

Apparently it wasn't the San Andreas.
The quake has been upgraded to a 7.2 with one of the aftershocks being a 5.1
They expect another quake of about 6.0 in the next couple of days.

I was up several floors and felt it shacking reasonably hard. It lasted for over 45seconds.
Looked down and saw the water in the pool splashing and sloshing about like crazy.
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

tootallsd

Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:05 am

My condo is on 10th floor of a 22 story high rise in downtown San Diego. It was VERY realistic here. A number of items feel from shelves, two items broke. Building elevators were out of service for about 3 1/2 hours. Series of strong related quakes in the following hour kept everyone's alerts heightened. No reports of anything significant.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:23 am

I spent the day at my sister's house in Mission Viejo. We were outside hanging out when we realized there was an earthquake. It lasted a long time, at least 45 seconds. I knew right away from the nature of the shaking that it was a large quake, and that it was centered somewhere far away because the shaking was just a gentle rolling motion. It did get stronger for a few seconds in the middle of the duration, but overall it was rather gentle. I'm about to head home to San Diego. I hope to find no damage.

It was definitely the largest quake I have felt since the SF quake in 1989.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

ua777222

Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:03 am

CNN confirming that one person in Mexicali was killed when a building collapsed during the quake.

Anyone familiar with the seismology process? How did they report that it was 20 miles deep initially but corrected it to the 6 miles that they feel it was? 14 miles is a lot of difference.

sw733

Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:54 am

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 2):
It was minor from here in Fontana

Think I felt it here in Palmdale to your north. Cannot confirm that's what I felt but certainly felt some fairly light shaking around that time, only lasted a few seconds (and saw no trucks in the vicinity of my hotel or anything that would have caused it)

Fly2HMO

Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:28 am

No wonder my house has been creeking so much, the San Andreas fault has been pretty active for the past week, I've been monitoring it here:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Maps/10/245_30.php

I'm pretty far from the fault (150mi east, Hermosillo, MX) but you can still feel some of the stronger ones out here. Pretty eerie.

vikkyvik

Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:33 am

I was out walking the dogs in the hills near Whittier. Didn't feel a damn thing....though apparently some other people who we passed had felt it.

Quoting kevinl1011 (Reply 4):
It seemed to roll for 15-20 seconds. I added water to my pool just this morning and about an inch splashed out. There are more quakes in the area being reported that are not aftershocks.

Strange. Haven't felt anything all day!

Quoting UA777222 (Reply 7):
Amazingly, LA area is free of any centered shocks per USGA reporting.

That must be it.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Superfly

Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:00 am

I was having Easter dinner at an aunts house in Los Angeles and felt it. It felt minor but seemed to go on for well over a minute.
Bring back the Concorde

DocLightning

Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:22 am

Quoting UA777222 (Thread starter):
Live in the Bay Area but away on vacation in SXM. Keeping fixers crossed.

I'm in San Francisco. Nobody here felt a thing.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Maverick623

Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:30 am

Yikes.... I drove back from San Diego on I-8 yesterday.

Didn't feel anything at PHX, although I'm sure the vibrations were muffled by the planes hitting the ground at the time. My parents in NW Phoenix said the pool was sloshing around quite a bit.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Silver1SWA
Crew

Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:58 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 21):
I'm in San Francisco. Nobody here felt a thing.

LOL I hope not!! We would be in really bad shape down here if the quake was large enough to be felt in SF!

After the quake, we turned on CNN. I was so disgusted by their coverage. We often bitch here about the nonsense the media reports following something aviation related, but geez!...the people on CNN were spitting some really, REALLY bad information following the quake. The folks out in Atlanta need to brush up on their west coast geography and need a real geological expert available instead of that Bonnie Schneider. They kept going to her for some expert input and she was giving such terribly incorrect information. For example, she kept focussing on the aftershocks. She was pointing to earthquakes displayed all up and down the state on google earth that had actually occured over the past week, but made it sound like they had occured because of the quake. Then she said it was likely that some 4.1 earthquake north of Sacramento was triggered by this quake. And worse of all, she said the region can expect a lot of aftershocks but that they would not be anything big, just a lot of small 3 or 4 pointers. Following a major earthquake, there is a STRONG LIKELYHOOD that another LARGE aftershock, possibly as big or BIGGER, may hit the region! You should be telling people to be prepared for large aftershocks!! Not saying dont worry, only small shocks are to be expected!

Sorry, I had to rant about that. It took them over an hour before they started talking with people that actually know what they are talking about! People who rightfully cleared up the points above!

[Edited 2010-04-05 03:01:55]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

MadameConcorde

Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:02 am

Looks like there is still a lot of sismic activity in the area.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...ecenteqscanv/FaultMaps/116-33.html

Probably aftershocks.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Silver1SWA
Crew

Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:38 pm

I felt an earthquake here in San Diego an hour ago. Apparently it was not an aftershock, but one probably triggered by all the movement in the area since the big one yesterday.

I hate these things...  

JakeOrion

Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:02 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 25):
I felt an earthquake here in San Diego an hour ago. Apparently it was not an aftershock, but one probably triggered by all the movement in the area since the big one yesterday.

Better to have multiple small ones rather than have one BIG one. I view it as the faults are relieving much tension they have been building up.

Plus living in Adak, Alaska surrounded by three volcanos to build up the nerves doesn't hurt either.
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

NIKV69

Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:45 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 25):
I hate these things...

I hear ya but oh so COOL! Really trippy and fun as long as there is no damage.

747srule

Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:38 pm

I felt it and my vertical blinds were swaying back and forth.I think it lasted 10-12 seconds.
Jesus is the way,the truth,and the life

Mudboy

Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:46 pm

Ok, I have always wanted to know what a quake feels like? I was on Will Rodger's Beach yest afternoon, and did not feel a thing.  

Silver1SWA
Crew

Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:40 pm

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 26):
Better to have multiple small ones rather than have one BIG one. I view it as the faults are relieving much tension they have been building up.

True, but all of this activity, which is not occuring on the San Andreas, is likely causing more stress build-up on the San Andreas meaning it's possible all this activity over the past 24 hours is increasing the likelihood and speeding up the chances of the so called "big one" that scientist say IS coming.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 27):

LOL I will never think of a quake as being cool. Yesterday's quake was a 7.2, but it did NOT feel like a 7.2 to most people in Southern California because of how far away it was. If the 7.2 struck under under San Diego instead of 100+ miles away, the shaking here would have been a lot more violent. I have felt stronger shaking from 4.0s. The thing about yesterday was how long it lasted.

To illustrate my point, look at these two videos of the 1989 7.1 quake near SF. The first video shows what the shaking was like around the Bay Area, close to the epicenter. The second video shows what it was like in Sacramento almost 100 miles away. As you can see, it was a very different experience. What most people in San Diego, Los Angeles etc felt yesterday was more like the shaking in the second video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW-TkpvKPl0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwOuS0fbqVs&feature=related

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 29):
Ok, I have always wanted to know what a quake feels like?

Sometimes I think of turbulance in an airliners to feel much like a light to moderate earthquake. If you have ever experienced sharp jolts in the air, that's probably the best example of what a quake feels like. I have woken up on flights before thinking I was experiencing a quake. It can even sounds very similar.

vikkyvik

Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:56 pm

Ok, I have always wanted to know what a quake feels like? I was on Will Rodger's Beach yest afternoon, and did not feel a thing.

If you've never been in an earthquake, the best way I can describe one is EXTREMELY UNNATURAL. The ground isn't supposed to move like that!

I grew up in Massachusetts, and after moving to California, the first quake I felt was a 4.2 back in 2001, I think. I was freaked out for about an hour following. And that was a small and short one.

(that's what she said)

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 30):
If you have ever experienced sharp jolts in the air, that's probably the best example of what a quake feels like.

They can be like that. But they can also be more of a rolling motion, though perhaps that's from farther away.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

NIKV69

Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:55 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 30):
LOL I will never think of a quake as being cool. Yesterday's quake was a 7.2, but it did NOT feel like a 7.2 to most people in Southern California because of how far away it was. If the 7.2 struck under under San Diego instead of 100+ miles away, the shaking here would have been a lot more violent. I have felt stronger shaking from 4.0s. The thing about yesterday was how long it lasted.

I know but man it was sure an experience. Freaky!

ua777222

Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:42 pm

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 26):

SWA hit it on the head. For those of us who live on a fault overdue, these little ones make us feel extremely uneasy. Most of our homes, the ones that are loved for and paid towards, will be extremely damaged. Oh, and that quake insurance that we've been paying for for 20 years at over $150/mo, is going to cost $250,000 as a deductible to utilize.

I hear ya but oh so COOL!

Again, if you're facing the above situation, one could go without the experience.

Ok, I have always wanted to know what a quake feels like?

Have you ever been rear ended? That sudden jolt? But it doesn't end and it happens to your entire house. Last good shake I felt, we all went running to make sure we were all ok after taking cover. I mean the the walls sake. It doesn't seem real, but don't let it fool you, that stuff will shake a house right off its foundation.

travelin man

Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:06 am

I was having Easter dinner at my parent's place in South Orange County. We rocked & rolled pretty good, and this one lasted quite a while, and it seemed to get bigger once it started (some start out with a bang and then fade away).

Fortunately, nothing more significant for us than water sloshing out of the pool. I think Mexicali got slammed however.

AirStairs

Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:01 am

I have been actively trying to experience an earthquake since I started living in LA, and I have missed or slept through every major one! This time, I was coming back from AZ on the freeway, was probably around Ontario when it happened, but did not feel or notice a thing because I was in the car. Gah!

Silver1SWA
Crew

Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:33 pm

So looking here...

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...eqsus/Maps/US2/32.34.-117.-115.php

It appears the USGS has updated the map to show that Sunday's earthquake was actually two large earthquakes. It shows the 7.2 near Mexicali and a 6.6 just above the California/Mexico border 30 seconds later. This probably explains why shaking lasted so long (up to a minute) and why it seemed to get stronger in the middle of the duration. It also makes more sense that there has been so much aftershock activity on the California side.

JakeOrion

Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:52 pm

Just felt another 5.5 here at work (KNZY) and it lasted about 15 seconds.

Yeesh, perhaps 2012 is coming.
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:06 pm

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 37):
Just felt another 5.5 here at work (KNZY) and it lasted about 15 seconds.

Yeesh, perhaps 2012 is coming.

I felt it too. It was in almost the exact location of Sunday's 7.2 so probably an aftershock and considered normal expected activity following a large quake. The USGS said following to quake Sunday to expect aftershocks possibly up to 6+ in the coming week. So no, it's not 2012. It's normal post-earthquake activity.

JakeOrion

Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:15 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 38):
I felt it too. It was in almost the exact location of Sunday's 7.2 so probably an aftershock and considered normal expected activity following a large quake. The USGS said following to quake Sunday to expect aftershocks possibly up to 6+ in the coming week. So no, it's not 2012. It's normal post-earthquake activity.

That's what I figured, and I was being sarcastic with the 2012.  

On that note, I wonder when the San Andreas will "let go." When it decides to release it will probably be very high 7 or 8+.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:24 pm

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 39):
That's what I figured, and I was being sarcastic with the 2012.

I know. I'm hearing it a lot though and it's getting kinda old.  

It's easy for people to think that there has been an increase in earthquake activity around the globe because of all the news lately. But if they took the time to look up earthquakes around the globe in previous years, 2010 wouldn't look to be far off the average pace so far. If it wasn't for 2012 being around the corner, I don't think people would be making much of a fuss.

Fly2HMO

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:23 pm

Here's some pics of the damages in Mexicali:

http://soycachanilla.com/2010/04/asi...-mexicali-despues-del-temblor.html

http://soycachanilla.com/2010/04/fot...s-temblor-en-mexicali-parte-2.html

Interestingly this earthquake was just slightly stronger than the on in Haiti yet there were only 2 confirmed deaths due to the quake in Mexico.

[Edited 2010-04-08 12:25:47]

N1120A

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:30 pm

I felt it, but it wasn't much up here. Nothing like being 20 miles from Northridge or 9 miles from Whittier Narrows.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Silver1SWA
Crew

Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:30 am

Another one just hit as I was slipping into sleep...a 5.1. UGH! I hate this.

af773atmsp

Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:06 pm

My uncle was playing golf in Palm Springs when this happened and shook pretty good there. The first night I was in Palm Springs a tremor shook the house at around 1 in the morning. It woke me up but nothing fell so I went right back to sleep when it was done. First time I've experienced an earthquake. There was another small tremor in the evening the next day.
It ain't no normal MD80 its a Super 80!