seansasLCY
Topic Author

Gordon Brown To Call UK Election - May 6th

Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:18 pm

So It looks like Gordon Brown will finally call the UK general election. The date - May 6th.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8603591.stm

Who will you be voting for or who would you vote for if you could vote in the UK?

DunaA320

RE: Gordon Brown To Call UK Election - May 6th

Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:24 pm

This will be my first time I will be voting in the national elections and I dont know who I will be voting for. I dont like any of them and they're all as bad as eachother in my eyes.

Most of their policies are the similar, higher taxes and spending cuts. I've heard it all before and I really don't believe anything that comes out of their mouths!

Matt

ajd1992

Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:30 pm

Damn it, I'm missing it by 2 months. I'm 18 in July.

All I do know is this - Brown will not be getting back in. I'd rather have a dead dog as PM than him.

signol

Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:43 pm

In the last election, my cinstituency returned Labour MP Charles Clarke, 2nd was Lib Dem, 3rd Tory.
Given that the Tories are so against what I stand for, I'd probably vote Labour in order to keep them out more than my usual Liberal. I guess it depends on the mood of the day - especially as where I am, people against Labour should vote Liberal as their protet vote... So for me a red / yellow toss up.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

Rj111

Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:38 am

I'll be voting lib dems just to try and break the duopoly.

I don't think it'll make any difference who gets in, we're screwed either way. But I suspect it will be a Conservative hung parliament.

kaitak

Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:42 am

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 4):
Conservative hung parliament.

Kind of an oxymoron, but I know what you mean ... Tories the largest party, but not enough to form a govt on their own.

I think we could see a hung parliament, but the "first past the post" system throws up a lot of difficulties. I do think however that Nick Clegg has performed well so far - and particularly, Vince Cable. I think he is by far the most competent of the potential chancellors. George Osborne seems way out of his depth.

Personally, if I had a vote, I'd do anything to keep the Tories out. I really do not like Cameron; fairly or unfairly, the phrase "hooray Henry" always jumps to mind when I think of him.

OA260

Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:58 am

Quoting seansasLCY (Thread starter):
Who will you be voting for or who would you vote for if you could vote in the UK?

I have registered as an overseas voter and will take the chance to fly over for the day and vote before visiting friends. I will be voting Conservative like I have always done. Hopefully we can get these current clowns out before its too late.

There are a few issues I am concerned about with regards some Conservative policies but they out weigh the benefits of a Conservative government.

Rj111

Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:06 am

I too do not like Cameron and i think this is the case for a lot of people. One of the things which irks me about him is only seems to preach why we shouldn't vote Labour and not why we should vote Conservative.

But even still he doesn't have to do a lot to get in.

CPH-R

Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:16 am

For what it's worth, the BBC is providing a live stream of their coverage of todays events - which works outside the UK for once  : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/8604326.stm

EDIT: In my opinion, this one is the Tories' to lose. Mind you, a few months ago, David Cameron could have come out as the spawn of Satan, and still win an election, so Labour have done well to come back from a then hopeless situation.

[Edited 2010-04-06 02:19:55]

DanTaylor2006

Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:26 am

This will be my first vote in the general election, and only my second vote to date (my very first vote was for the European parliament not so long ago). I'll be voting Lib Dem, because I think Labour and Conservatives are both as bad as each other. So, essentially, I'm using my vote to protest against both the main parties.... saying that, Nick Clegg is the MP for my constituency when I'm at Uni, and he represents us students fairly well, so I have some respect for him for that reason.

offloaded

Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:28 am

Voted Conservative as in last 2 elections before losing my right to vote (expat more than 15 yrs) but I can't stand Cameron. However, going back some years when I had a lot of dealings with the European Commission, I changed from pro-EU to anti-EU for reasons I'm not getting into in this thread (I now believe the EU to be utterly irredeemable) so if I could still it would likely be UKIP.
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

OA260

Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:51 am

Quoting offloaded (Reply 10):
Voted Conservative as in last 2 elections before losing my right to vote (expat more than 15 yrs) but I can't stand Cameron.

Are you sure you lost it? On the form I filled out it says ''as long as you were registered to vote in the UK within the last 15 years''. I presumed you could keep applying as long as you have done so within the last 15 years.

Danfearn77

Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:06 am

I'll be voting conservative. Labour have been in power for 13 miserable years and whether they are as bad as each other, the fact remains we have to give the conservatives a chance. It makes me laugh Gordon Brown is saying he will tackle anti social behaviour and the economy, but they said that 5 years ago and nothing has happened. Our judicial system is a joke, the offender gets all the rights and the sentances getting handed out are ridiculous. 2 years for peadophiles and 6 months for robbery is disgraceful. Both parties are saying they will tackle this but Labour has said it before so time to give the conservatives a chance. Also, I can't stand Brown, he has the personality of a tree and looks scruffy. Imagine another 5 years of this guy: going off the last 5 years anti social behaviour will rise with no deterrent and immigration out of control. The short sighted government is so inept with immigration. The fact that these people travel all the way through Europe to the channel tunnel then risk their life hanging onto a train just to get over here doesn't ring alarm bells in Westminster is testiment to how cushy our society is. Immigration needs to be selective, people should enter with the right skills or with a willing to work.
Eagles may soar high, but weasels dont get sucked into jet engines!

baroque

Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:59 am

Quoting seansasLCY (Thread starter):

If the UK had the Aus Fed system, I would vote 1. Lib Dems (keep my cousin happy!) and 2 Lab. But as it is not, the choice would be dependent on the electorate, no point in wasting a vote on Lab or Lib if it gave the seat to the Cons twats. Just see how you like another touch of the La Thatches now you have no industry, no oil and the city has ruined the joint!!

Aside from that everything else is going well.

OA260

Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:39 am

Sky News have great coverage and local info :

news.sky.com Just enter your postcode and you get all your local info.

RobertNL070

Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:00 pm

Being an expat who doesn't contribute any more to British society, I feel morally disqualified to vote in any British elections. However what would be the point of me voting Liberal Democrat in order to try to break the UK's political duopoly? I've lived in Kensington and afterwards in Beaconsfield. Both are true-blue Conservatives. With the present political system you just cannot break the mold. At least here in NL - with its system of proportional representation - your vote stands for something. It's our turn on 9th June  
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

baroque

Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:09 am

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 15):
However what would be the point of me voting Liberal Democrat in order to try to break the UK's political duopoly?

You could still do strategic voting to an extent, but that concept seems not to have entered the UK body politic.      

tropical77W

Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:14 pm

BNP BNP BNP.

but seriously though. Gordon Brown is damaged goods, in addition, his party has been in power for thirteen years. politics is cyclical: years in opposition tend to make the opposing party smell bad in the eyes of the public and there is a change again. Labour will see parliament again.

i heard that there will be leaders debates for the first time? if they are anything like canadian or american debates, get ready for some mudslinging.

PS: i dont support the BNP in any way.

baroque

Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:47 pm

Quoting tropical77W (Reply 17):
Gordon Brown is damaged goods, in addition, his party has been in power for thirteen years.

There are times when the fire really is worse than the frying pan. Why do you think Holy Tony won his last election?

OA260

Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:53 pm

Quoting tropical77W (Reply 17):
PS: i dont support the BNP in any way.

Hopefully the Conservatives will win and bring in policies that will stop people feeling the need to vote BNP. Labour have given BNP and UKIP thousands of votes due to their in actions.

EISHN

Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:58 pm

Firstly, I don't have a vote.

Secondly, I think Labour is tired and weak. GB needs to go. They need a term on the side lines.
That said, I'm no Tory. In fact, I wouldn't vote Tory. I don't like Cameron, and I don't like his people. Plus it doesn't help that they are being supported by 'The Sun', and that their head of PR is a former Red Head tabloid editor.

I find that both Labour and Tory are are very childish in their campaign ads.

I would vote Lib Dems. Break the duopoly.

Labour needs another do over. New faces, new ideas, real action.

I think that any party should last a max of two terms, after that they just become limp and stale.

It'll be a hung parliament with the Tories being the biggest party. Let them have it for five years, have Labour fix themselves, and then we'll see.

Here's hoping that the BNP and UKIP don't get anywhere near Westminister (I assume they have people running?).
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

Flyingfox27

Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:20 pm

Lets vote for Airliners.net!................   oh only if we could lol!

I am gonna vote for Lib Dems because i dont like Camerons idea of bring back Fox Hunting and stop LHR expansion and generally someone who cycles along ignoring roadsigns and pedestrians and hugs hoodies and dosent lock his bike, is not a very good role model.

Definatly do not vote BNP, they are too racist.

But as they say, let the best man/party win! Will we continue with Labour since 1997? who knows!

OA260

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:46 pm

Quoting Flyingfox27 (Reply 21):
Lets vote for Airliners.net!................   oh only if we could lol!

Oh nooo, put it that way I will vote Labour     

TristarAtLCA

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:59 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 18):
There are times when the fire really is worse than the frying pan

This will be my fifth eligible election and I cannot recall a poorer decision to be made. The choice between a poorly led clapped out government, a Tory leader so unconvincing I'm not sure I would believe him if he told me his name and an empty shirt in Clegg.

Pan? Fire? Is there a difference?
If you was right..................I'd agree with you

baroque

Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:32 am

Quoting TristarAtLCA (Reply 23):
The choice between a poorly led clapped out government, a Tory leader so unconvincing I'm not sure I would believe him if he told me his name and an empty shirt in Clegg.

Pan? Fire? Is there a difference?

Sounds like a man after my own very poorly informed heart and I am sure based on better evidence. I guess in the end I would try to vote against returning Cameron and between Clegg and Brown it would depend upon the electorate. If a possibility of a Lib Dem win, vote for them, but otherwise for Lab.

You really don't know how satisfying it is to vote in our preferential elections. I even spend the time to do the below the line voting for our Senate so I can ensure my pet hates are at the bottom of the list.

Interesting point there and in an odd way not off topic, is that when you vote that way, you cannot be certain where your vote DOES end up but you can be certain where it does not. An ALP numbers man once looked into it for me and apparently they literally (physicaly) pile up votes to fill our senate quotas and your vote by chance could end in in a major party "pile" and never go to lower preferences. So in an odd sort of way it becomes a bit like the UK where you have not very much control - unless you are following the herd!!!

nighthawk

Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:58 am

SNP For the win   

noelg

Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:39 am

Like a lot of people, I am torn in this election, and torn 3 ways at the moment.

I have always voted Labour, and did faithfully under Tony Blair. But under Cod Eye Brown the government has gone absolutely to the dogs. I suppose it must have started with Blair but the state this country is in now really needs some fresh blood to come back to the floor. The other problem I have is my constituency is Labour and always has been, under Dennis Skinner. This guy does so much for our villages on a local level, taking our issues right up to parliament level, and really looks after us. He has personally taken us on a tour of parliament and is a really nice guy. So on a local level yes, but they are not fit to run the country in my opinion.

The alternative is Conservative, but I am not sure they represent any real difference to Labour. I can't see much changing under them, but we have to give them a chance. After all, I consider Margaret Thatcher one of the greatest leaders this country has ever had (yes I know her and Skinner were polar opposites in the 80s  ). Does Cameron have the balls she had to get this country great again?

I am even considering Lib Dem at the moment, as I strongly agree with their pro-Europe policies, and their opposition of our involvement in Afghan and Iraq, but their transport policies involve a greater emphasis on rail and road transport over air travel, and I can see aviation being taxed to the hilt even further.

BNP's policies are away with the fairies. Halting immigration completely, immediate withdrawal from Europe, bring back Capital Punishment, all headline grabbers that would simply not work in practice. I wouldn't say they are necessarily racist, but they do seem to tar all immigrants with the same brush. A highly skilled Indian doctor would be treated the same as an Iraqi asylum seeker on the bottom of a truck, which just is not fair. However they do plan to build a new airport for London in the Thames Estuary, but that alone would not be worth the damage they could do to the country.

ltbewr

Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:39 am

You guys are lucky, your elections last only about a month, not many months, and over 1 year for major elections here in the USA along with a lot fewer TV/radio ads. That also means a lot less potential of corruption from campaign contributions.

I would not be surprised at a comeback by the Conservatives in the UK. From my contacts with UK based sites as to certain formally UK made cars and here, there are many who are ticked off by the policies of Labor especially as to taxation and life in general.

Problem is that will the Conservatives be like Thatcher and not sufficiently regulate financial, banking and insurance business, that has lead there and elsewhere some of the factors in our current worldwide financial crises. Will the take down many of the intrusive cameras in every corner of the public and business areas of the UK for 'security'. Will they reduce illlegal and legal immigraion. Will they improve the schools. Will they cut taxes and spending. Will they improve access to health care to standards all should expect. Will they really help the lower and middle classes. Will the exetend jail terms and improve security for all. Will they do that without dropping any further personal privacy rights.

BigOrange

Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:59 pm

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 4):
I'll be voting lib dems just to try and break the duopoly.

Me too as long as I can get someone to witness my signature on the overseas voter registration form!

baroque

Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:07 pm

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 28):
Me too as long as I can get someone to witness my signature on the overseas voter registration form!

What do you have to have for a witness? I needed to vote absentee in Bandung at one time and it took a while to find an Aus reg voter to do the honours.

GDB

Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:31 pm

What a choice, between Cyclops and Sunny D.

I have to smile at all the 'country is going to the dogs' stuff though.
How? For who? It's just all my life I've been hearing this.
Some things have got better, some things worse, new issues have emerged, positive and negative.

But what strikes is that despite the worst economic crisis in living memory, despite Brown's often poor performance, despite all the half baked attempts to unseat him, often from within his own Cabinet, despite those unpopular wars, despite how global trends have brought up issues like larger scale immigration, despite all this, and more, how the hell have the Tories gone from being way ahead in the polls, to the much closer competition looming now?

I like to think I keep up with the news, are generally well informed (though not about soap operas and 'reality' TV), yet I have great difficulty in understanding just what the Tories are going to do.
Now the prospects of cuts, is something both main parties are shy of committing to, even so, what is Cameron about?

Perhaps there has just been no obvious visual symbol of Cameron's attempts to 'de-contaminate' the Tory 'brand'.
When Blair took over Labour in 1994, the sight of Miners leader Arthur Scargill walking out of the Labour conference, was such a symbol, (I'm surprised Blair did not ask him to come back and walk out again in case anyone missed it first time).

We can argue for a long time who is culpable for the economic crisis, clearly any government in power has to take their share of the blame, there are compelling complaints here against the government.
But - what was the response of the Opposition? What did they say they would have done?
They appeared even more wrong footed than the government, this I think, has slowly sunk in over the time since, along with all those ideas proposed, then forgotten?

The Tories should walk this election, any government seeking a 4th term will have a major task holding on.

If 'Dave' gets in with no overall or a very small majority, there could be, like in 1974, another election within months, where they would probably be facing a Labour without Brown as leader.
We could be in for some interesting times.

SpeedBirdA380

Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:50 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 30):
how the hell have the Tories gone from being way ahead in the polls, to the much closer competition looming now?

Exactly what I was thinking......

I have not decided yet who to vote for but it wont be for Labour.

One thing I would like to say though is that I wish we had a fixed term 4-5 year parliment. It gets to me that the Prime Mininster in power can decide when to call an election and fiddle it to when he/she is more popular or when difficult current affairs have passed and are less in the public eye. We should have a fixed date for the general election in my opinion.

Bring on the 6th May!

[Edited 2010-04-08 11:50:55]

GDB

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:10 pm

Quoting SpeedBirdA380 (Reply 31):
One thing I would like to say though is that I wish we had a fixed term 4-5 year parliment.

True, as long though, that if the government ever lost of vote of confidence, an election would still be triggered whenever it was in the Parliament.
Not fixed for a term no matter what.

Though the current system has one corrective, in theory the Sovereign could say 'no' to a request to dissolve Parliament for no good reason, more to the point, the electorate can be very unforgiving to a government doing this as well.
Or as Ted Heath found in Feb 1974, with his 'who runs Britain' election, the answer being, (albeit only just) Not you mate!
(He did not need to call an election until June 1975, though the country was being crippled by the oil crisis and strikes).

AirStairs

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:42 pm

I of course have no standing to vote, but to the extent I can opine, I would support Cameron. I try to follow British politics, and it seems plain that it is Gordon Brown's time to go. I wish the Republicans in the USA would take a page out of the Conservatives book. Probably will never happen though  

OA260

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:46 pm

Quoting nighthawk (Reply 25):
SNP For the win   

Yep and an independant Scotland so they can stop milking London     

eric

Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:30 pm

I am not British but live in London and I am following this election with interest.

Firstly, one of my friends works directly with one of the Tory MP's (who is resigning and did not feature in the expense scandal) - even they believe it will be a hung parliament now but they will call a new election in September using the reasoning the government would be teethless. They believe they would swing a full majority then.

Secondly, how anyone can even think that the current government should remain in place is beyond me. Remember Gordon Brown's quote "I've ended boom and bust" [speaking regarding the new financial regulation]? Yes, call the Tory the villains because they privatised large parts of government owned companies when they were in power. If people are unaware of this fact, the best performing UK companies over the last 30 years have been privatised companies, implying they were hugely inefficient companies. An inefficient company is not effective for an economy even if that means laying off people.

During Labour's reign, the divide between the wealthiest and the poorest have increased, not decreased as promised. Unemployment is higher than when they began (the UK only exited the recession in the mid- to late 90's). Gordon Brown was the one who flagshipped deregulation of the markets in the UK as the method forward to make the City into a global financial powerhouse - and he succeeded. Then failed! To then place all of the blame on the bankers for having shown recklessness (what do you think will happen when you favour, and promote, the creation of CDO's (securitisation) as method of spreading risk), just shows that he must have light up something during that period.

Okay, so the man managed to crawl himself somewhat out of the mess - does that make him, and the party he represents suited to remain in government? I think not. And now he wants to tax the wealthiest into obvlion? Does he not realise that most people with a bit of money and brain will not just create off-shore trusts, etc... which still escape tax loopholes he has not managed to plug. GB favours taxing the middle class (let's see how popular that makes him if he does win). He seems to overestimate people's memory. In two years time people will have forgotten about the "evil" bankers but will still face a huge dent in their pay check, which they will have to live with. Of course he will continue to receive the support of the new (and increasing) UK underclass, the benefits receipient, as he keeps forking over money to them from the people who actually contributes to the UK economy.

I won't even get started on the hughly bloated and inefficient public sector system nor the fact that he promises to i) clean up Parliament (incidentally a Labour rhetoric in '97 and every other election), ii) give up the current rule on calling an election (so why didn't that happen already?).

The Tory's will not be much better in many ways but at least they are a change. This election is the first in many years where hopefully one is simply voting the current government out of power.
n

TristarAtLCA

Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:56 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 24):

You really don't know how satisfying it is to vote in our preferential elections.

We (in the capital) elect the Mayor of London in a similar way (Supplementary voting).

Of course we will not have that for government. FS Miliband was very receptive to electoral reform on last nights Question Time programme. No soft toys for getting the reason correct. If I thought there was any chance of a hung parliament leading to a functioning coalition government I would support it. As there isn't a snowballs etc etc...

Quoting noelg (Reply 26):
The other problem I have is my constituency is Labour and always has been, under Dennis Skinner.

Same here Noel and this raises another problem with our system. My constituency has been Labour since it was created in '83. The sitting MP, Jeremy Corbyn, is a decent MP, had nothing to do with the expenses nonsense and according to Wiki defied the party whip over 200 times since 2005. Yet I cannot give him my vote as I cannot endorse Brown for five more years. The only viable candidate here are the Lib's who convince me less than Cameron. No wonder polls everywhere show about a third undecided.

Quoting GDB (Reply 30):
how the hell have the Tories gone from being way ahead in the polls, to the much closer competition looming now?

Its hard to fathom isn't it? Unconvincing is the best I can come up with.
I am left wondering what would be the situation if they had booted out Brown several months ago. I always held the country wouldn't accept a second unelected PM. Now I'm not so sure.

baroque

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:57 am

Quoting TristarAtLCA (Reply 36):
Quoting GDB (Reply 30):

Its hard to fathom isn't it? Unconvincing is the best I can come up with.

I would like to say memory of what the Tories have done in the past, but that is unlikely to be true. So likely it is that the Cameron statements just do not stack up to a coherent set of proposals.

Also cut this, cut that might possibly go not so well for those who can work out that they MAY (not even will) be cut.

Brown's record is awful and Holy Tony's might well have been worse, however they will likely all look saints after a couple of years of Cameron. You should try being a voter in NSW, we have it even worse.

OA260

Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:03 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 37):
saints after a couple of years of Cameron

People said that about the Mayor of London Boris but since he has been in lots of things have been done for the good of Londoners.

baroque

Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:53 pm

Quoting oa260 (Reply 38):
saints after a couple of years of Cameron

People said that about the Mayor of London Boris but since he has been in lots of things have been done for the good of Londoners.

Have to admit that seems to be true. Maybe they like being bonked.      

TristarAtLCA

Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:59 pm

I would like to say memory of what the Tories have done in the past, but that is unlikely to be true.

I thought time was supposed to heal  

And I have found most people seem to forget Major was PM for seven years and still talk of Thatcher who was out nearly 20 years ago!! Talk about the grey man.

So likely it is that the Cameron statements just do not stack up to a coherent set of proposals.

The problem is all three of them are peddling nonsense which doesn't stack up. Go to their sites. They seem, on the surface, to be saying a lot. Just peek past the waffle and you realise most proposals are built on sand. On public finances, Brown wants NICs up which even his own treasury and most business leaders rebuke as the wrong direction, Cameron keeps talking about efficiency savings whilst completely ignoring that he can't point to a single government efficiency drive that has ever worked (ref: Yes Minister!) and Clegg seems to think scrapping Trident is 80% of the answer.

Wonder what we'd save if we pulled out of the folly of democratising Afghanistan?

GDB

Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:33 am

Quoting oa260 (Reply 38):

Like what?
None of those new buses, he seems to lose senior advisors, usually due to dubious reasons, with alarming regularity, his response to questioning by the London Assembly - their job - is to walk out in a huff.

Whether you liked or agreed with Livingstone or not, he got stuff done, remember in his early years as Mayor, the government worked hard to restrict him before finally growing up, letting him back into the Labour Party, as well as facing a hate campaign by the Evening Standard , then part of the Daily Mail group, that amounted to outright personal harassment.
(But he stood up to them, I wish more would not buckle to the gutter press and tell them where to shove it).

Back to the issues of the election, I also think that in the background, a reason for the Tories not being well ahead, is that people know the real cause of the economic crisis, is the implosion of a 30 year policy excessively in favour of financial services.
Started under the Tories, carried on under Blair and Brown.
(Much to the annoyance of many in their own party, not only on the old left either).
In other words, the Tories would have done just the same.

I actually feel sorry for Alistair Darling, he was handed the poison chalice of being Chancellor, with what was about to happen, from Brown,
He came under attack from his own party (well Brown and that awful Ed Balls who wanted the job), for being plain speaking about the severity of the crisis unfolding.
Only rebellions prevented Balls from tasking Darling's job.
Since then, he's been calm and steady, some say 'boring', (I say sensible).

Now look at the man who would take his job, Tory shadow Chancellor George Osborne.
Have his balls even dropped yet?

baroque

Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:32 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 41):
None of those new buses, he seems to lose senior advisors, usually due to dubious reasons, with alarming regularity, his response to questioning by the London Assembly - their job - is to walk out in a huff.

You mean they DO like being Bonked!!!

Quoting GDB (Reply 41):
Back to the issues of the election, I also think that in the background, a reason for the Tories not being well ahead, is that people know the real cause of the economic crisis, is the implosion of a 30 year policy excessively in favour of financial services.
Started under the Tories, carried on under Blair and Brown.
(Much to the annoyance of many in their own party, not only on the old left either).
In other words, the Tories would have done just the same.

I would like to think you are correct but fear you might not be. Then again, while the dangers were clear much earlier, it was hardly popular to point them out - not until the roof fell in.

I remember being lectured some years ago not to worry about not having done anything with the money from oil while it was flowing because the city had taken over. Sure had!!!

Any Tory solutions to economic problems will have far harsher consequences this time around because AFAICan see, there is nothing now to cushion harsh policies whereas when La Thatch was on the rampage, oil served that purpose. And forget the coal industry, the bulwark of the 50s.

OA260

Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:18 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 41):
Whether you liked or agreed with Livingstone or not, he got stuff done,

Yeah like waste money on crap .  

GDB

Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:23 pm

Quoting oa260 (Reply 43):
Yeah like waste money on crap

Sometimes yes, they all do.
But he also got a lot of useful stuff done too, in transport, allowing for the first few years of control freak behavior from Brown, being a prime example.
He also fought, successfully, to get a lot more powers for the London Mayor, the idea that Boris could have done that, even with a Tory government in power, is laughable.
He has no focus, whatever you thought of Livingstone's politics, he knew London intimately.
Not parachuted in from the Shires.

But regardless of the actual person, the government deserve credit for actually creating a Mayor in the first place.
Even if their reflex for control freak-ness, in common with all governments of the past 30 years, stunted it at first.
(This was actually more about Blair and Brown's fear and loathing of Ken, which they grew out of when they realised he was not a monster and of course, that he thrashed the official Labour candidate in first election in 2000, also had a lot to do with it).

London became such a mess of lack of planning, not just in transport either, in just about everything, having to deal with 23 different councils with no central figure, after Maggie responded to the democratic wishes of Londoners (Ken again!), by abolishing the GLC.
Other places have them now too, though some ideas for decentralizing some power in England, were rejected by voters.

Though it's hard to see either main party, really restoring local democracy to pre 1979 levels.

OA260

Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:35 pm

Here are just some of Boris Johnson's achievements::

1. Frozen the Council Tax precept for two years running. After allowing for inflation this means a cut in real terms. Over the eight years as Mayor, Ken Livingstone increased his take of council tax by 153 per cent.

2. The Congestion Charge West London Extension is being scrapped by the end of this year.

3. The Mayor is investing £60 million to bring empty homes back into use for affordable housing, more than three times the financial commitment made by the previous Mayor.

4. Phasing out the hated bendy buses. So far 83 of them have gone. Routes 507 and 521 were the first to see bendies withdrawn, followed by route 38 in autumn 2009. Bendies on the remaining 11 routes will be replaced by 2011 as contracts come up for renewal.

5. There are 400 more police officers for buses.

6. Free travel has been introduced for veterans.

7. Facilitated the departure of Sir Ian Blair. The new Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson is doing a much better job - bringing in common sense changes such as the police going on the beat individually rather than in pairs.

8. Traffic lights resignalling. TfL is increasing the usage of the ‘intelligent’ SCOOT (Split Cycle Offset Optimisation Technique) system from the existing 2000 sites, to 3000 sites, by 2015/16. It is also reviewing timings at 1000 traffic signal sites annually. These measures will allow traffic lights to adjust their own timings in response to traffic conditions. "There is surely not a single Londoner who has not waited at a red light at two in the morning on a deserted street and wondered why on earth they are being delayed," says Boris. TfL’s signal timing reviews are having a noticeable impact in smoothing traffic flow. He has also allowed Ealing to bag up traffic lights.

9. The various GLA bodies now employ 13 fewer press officers than under Ken Livingstone.

10. Rough sleeping has been reduced by two thirds. The successes to date have not required additional funds but are a result of better co-ordination between the agencies responsible. The estimated number of persistent "embedded" rough sleepers across London is down from 205 under Ken Livingstone to 67 now.

11. A series of new City Academies are being sponsored. The first Mayoral Academy will be Turin Grove School in Edmonton, open from September.

12. The Mayor's Fund has been launched to tackle child poverty.

13. Flew to Beijing Olympics, economy class. Gave a wonderful motivational speech. He said: "Ping pong was invented on the dining tables of England in the 19th century and it was called wiff waff. There I think you have the essential difference between us and the rest of world. Other nations, the French, looked at a dining table and saw an opportunity to have dinner. We looked at a dining table and saw an opportunity to play wiff waff. That is why London is the sporting capital of the world. And I say to the Chinese, and I say to the world: ping pong is coming home."

14. Scrapped the post of Women's adviser, which was held by Anni Marjoram, and removed four more of "Ken's Wimmin" - the total salary bill was over £400,000. Those who have gone include Ken Livingstone's partner Emma Beale, who was paid £96,000 to be the Mayor's "Administration Manager" and Socialist Action member Jude Woodward who had been the Cultural Commissar.

15. Championed the City of London against EU regulation - notably the protectionist directive on hedge funds.

16. Supporting the phasing out of road humps across London.

17. Reducing barriers for pedestrians with 20 miles of guard rail going.

18. Launched a competition for a New Bus for London, a 21st century successor to the Routemaster. The first prototype is expected to start testing by the end of 2011.

19. 1500 new street trees have been planted. 2000 more will have been planted by the end of 2010/11.

20. 12,000 affordable homes have been completed - far more than under Ken Livingstone.

21. Has issued guidance that new publicly funded social-housing homes must have higher standards. The minimum space standards recommended are broadly ten per cent higher than the 1961 Parker Morris benchmark. An end to the Livingstone era rabbit hutches.

22. Oyster extended to national rail from this year, and also to the River Bus.

23. Modernisation of the London Fire Brigade - notably in shift patterns.

24. Closing down of GLA office in Venezuela and scaling down of other overseas offices saving: £100,000.

25. Far more transparency. All spending over £1,000 is published on the website as well as expenses claims. Wrong doing is dealt with robustly rather than hidden or denied which was the culture under the previous regime.

26. Brought back Christmas - hosting various carol concerts, etc..

27. The Queen's portrait unveiled in City Hall.

28. Restoration of drinking fountains on the capital's streets. The one in Trafalgar Square has already been brought back into use.

29. Working with the boroughs, including support for decentralising some of his power to them.

30. A successful visit to New York (paying his own fare) was held to boost tourism. Huge media coverage in the Big Apple. The ‘Only in London’ tourism campaign has boosted the capital's coffers by £50million.

31. While cycling through Camden, the Mayor saw Franny Armstrong under attack by hoodies. He set an example to Londoners by coming to her assistance.

32. Motorcycles are being allowed in bus lanes on TfL roads with the double aim of reducing congestion on the roads, and reducing the number of accidents involving motorcyclists.

33. A 24 hour Freedom Pass.

34. Scrapping The Londoner newspaper - saving £3 million a year.

35. Backing the sensitive use by the police of stop and search, which has so far taken almost 5,000 knives off the streets.

36. Boosting electric cars by ensuring that every Londoner will be no more than one mile from an electric car charge point by 2015. The Mayor is also procuring 1000 electric vehicles in the Greater London Authority Group public fleet.

37. Giving a higher priority to English tuition for refugees. The Mayor's new migration board will prioritise better ESOL (English for speakers of other languages) provision across London.

38. Classical music, neglected under the previous regime as elitist, is now getting encouragement. For instance, the No Strings Attached initiative backed by Julian Lloyd Webber where unused musical instruments are donated to be used by children. Also an annual schools music festival.

39. 100,000 more tons of the capital's annual waste will soon be turned into green energy, with £12m of guaranteed funding due to be approved by the London Waste and Recycling Board.

40. Launched the Capital Growth scheme with a target to create 2012 growing spaces by 2012 in discarded patches of London, tended by enthusiastic community gardeners.

41. He has been a listening Mayor. There have been far more visits - including to outer London boroughs.

42. Some of the consultation exercises have actually been genuine - for instance over which parks should be prioritised and the Congestion Charge Extension.

43. 11 rundown parks are being rejuvenated with grants of £400,000 each from City Hall.

44. There has been a break with his predecessor's expensive gesture of constantly engaging lawyers - usually losing.

45. A housing strategy that promotes home ownership schemes rather than stipulating that new housing has to be for social rent. The Mayor’s First Steps Housing programme is aimed at improving the intermediate housing offer for Londoners. The programme will bring forward new products including the Up2U scheme launched earlier this year. It is also looking at ways to simplify the applications process and make the system easier for first time buyers to understand.

46. Decluttering of roads will be based on the "presumption" that each piece of equipment and obstruction should be removed unless it can be justified. "If Give Way signs at minor junctions are removed then consideration may also be given to removing the associated road markings."

47. Unveiled a statue of war hero Sir Keith Park in Trafalgar Square.

48. £9.8 million is being spent on 150 schemes to facilitate walking and cycling along eight routes to the Olympics to also be maintained after the Games.

49. Launch of the Status Dogs Unit by the Metropolitan Police with the removal of 680 dangerous and/or illegal dogs from London's streets - often pitbulls.

50. Boosted the London Jazz Festival so that it reaches more boroughs.

51. Providing 30,000 new homes by freeing up under-used land owned by the Greater London Authority.

52. Helped shopping in the West End by giving Oxford Circus a makeover. Shoppers will be able to cross the busy intersection diagonally in an 'X' as well as straight ahead - meaning the junction will be able to handle double the number of pedestrians and ease overcrowding.

53. Shown himself to be a mayor for all Londoners. Contrary to the unpleasant slurs of bigotry thrown at him during the election campaign he has made a point of being inclusive listening to Londoners regardless of their background in terms of race, religion or sexuality.

54. Promoted cycling with a new Cycle Hire scheme.

55. Boosted apprenticeships including 400 new bus driver apprenticeships a year in the capital.

56. Stood up to Government bullying - notably over their interference in his proposed appointment of Veronica Wadley as Chairman of the London Arts Council.

57. With his commissioner for Sport, Kate Hoey, he has given Londoners more sporting opportunities. For instance the Mayor's PlaySport London: Make a Splash programme will see two temporary pools deployed in London boroughs. The new scheme, powered by 'pools 4 people', offers swimming even if people do not live within the vicinity of a swimming pool. The pools will be spending 12 weeks in three different locations each. One pool is up and running in Ealing, the second under construction. In January, the two pools will be deployed in two different boroughs. Through this programme, over 15,000 non-swimmers (children and adults) will learn to swim each year.

58. Judo provision in London is being increased.

59. Sailing is being encouraged - for instance through support for the AHOY Centre in Greenwich.

60. Dance is being supported. For instance the Dare2Dance project which aims to increase participation in physical activity through the medium of Street Dance using Hip Hop Dance Techniques.

61. Boxing is being supported. For instance the London Boxing Academy with sites in Hackney and Haringey is being supported.

62. The requirement for 50% of housing developments to be social housing has been lifted. Rather than inflexible percentages the Mayor is concerned with the outcome - the total number of new homes built.

63. Knife crime is down by 30%. This reflects the success of Operation Blunt II - an intitiave by the police at the mayor's instigation to search for knoves which resulted in 27,000 searches and more than 500 knives being seized.

64. Action is being taken to improve air quality. For instance through hybrid buses and by working with the boroughs to tackle air quality hotspots.

65. The opening of Imperial Wharf Station.

66. There has been funding for world-class cultural developments including Tate Modern extension and a new centre for the British Film Institute and Film Day.

67. Made significant savings on cultural events and refreshed the programme with new, inclusive events like Story of London.

68. Promoting London Fashion Week, Boris appeared on the cover of Elle magazine.

69. A scheme have been introduced where young people who lose their right to free travel through misbehaviour have to earn it back through voluntary work.

70. LEDs are being installed at 3,500 traffic lights at around 300 junctions in the Capital. LED technology can reduce electricity consumption and the associated CO2 emissions that cause climate change by a massive 60 per cent.

71. £375,000 is being provided over the next three years to open a new rape crisis centre in west London. £260,000 of funding has been allocated for the Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre (RASAC) in Croydon. Altogether there will be four rape crisis centres - there was just one under Ken Livingstone for a city of seven million people.

72. 42 public buildings in the GLA Group are being given an eco-makeover. Wembley police station has led the way with solar photovoltaic roof panels.

73. Boris Johnson appeared in EastEnders visiting the Queen Vic.

74. Foreign travel costs for the Mayor’s office were reduced from £107,000 in 2007-08 to £30,000 in 2008-09, while the rest of the GLA reduced its costs from £102,000 to £28,000. A saving of £151,000.

75. Ten delegates attended party conferences in 2008-09, at a total cost (including attendance, advertising, stands, etc.) of £9,000, compared with 19 delegates in 2007-08 at a cost of £43,000. Saving £34,000.

76. Reduction in expenditure on GLA consultants - reducing from £4.7m in 2007-08 to £2.8m in 2008-09. Saving £1.9m

77. Income from the hire of London’s Living Room at City Hall has increased from £145,000 in 2007-08 to £167,000 in 2008-09 as a result of stopping the policy of allowing preferred groups and organisations to use it for free. Saving £20,000

78. The London Development Agency has introduced "a more streamlined staffing structure" - saving £6.6m.

79. Overall crime on the Tube and DLR is down by 8%. Robbery is down by 29.2%, violent crime is down 2.6% and public disorder offences are down by 4.5%.

80. Londoners on Job Seeker’s Allowance and the new Employment and Support Allowance now benefit from half price travel on the buses. This is to help people who have recently lost their jobs bounce back quickly, by being able to travel cheaply to interviews, and access libraries and job centres.

81. Funding has been found to train and recruit 10,000 Specials Constables by 2012. The numbers are due to increase by 2,690 over the next three years.

82. Major retailers including Sainsbury’s, John Lewis, Tesco, Marks & Spencer and Borders have signed up to the ‘Open London’ scheme. The aim is to increase access to public lavatories. These businesses allow the public to use their lavatories, where available, without the need to make a purchase.

83. Cancellation of the ‘Beijing Bus’ saving £160,000.

84. For the coming year's budget £100 million of new savings within the police service will be delivered by deploying staff and resources more effectively and bearing down on overtime costs, while continuing to improve front-line policing.

85. Savings of £100,000 a year in the cost of the London Assembly.

86. There are Northern line improvements with a new control centre and computerised signalling system, scheduled to be delivered in 2012. This will enable trains to run closer together and at higher speeds, cutting journey times by 18 per cent and increasing capacity by 20 per cent.

87. To cool tube trains in summer various improvements are being carried out, including restoring ventilation fans and installing mechanical chillers and portable summer fans.

88. On the Docklands Light Railway a total of 55 new carriages have been ordered, expanding trains from two to three cars and giving a 50 per cent capacity increase by June 2010.

89. Held biggest ever St George's Day event on Trafalgar Square - 20,000 attended.

90. Put cultural supremo, Tony Hall, Chief Executive of the Royal Opera House, in charge of the Cultural Olympiad in 2012.

91. By summer the new generation of the Countdown system will increase bus customers’ access to real-time information for all of the 19,000 bus stops and 700 routes in London via mobile phones and the internet. New Countdown signs will be installed at around 2,500 key bus stops.

92. The Mayor is pushing ahead strongly with Crossrail helping to ensure the funding needed is provided.

93. Boosting the amount of London’s food waste being turned into eco-fuel to cut landfill rates and carbon emissions in an initiative with the Foodwaste to Fuel Alliance.

94. Before Boris Johnson was elected the cost of the Olympics was spiralling out of control. As mayor he has worked effectively to keep Olympics on schedule and in budget. The Mayor is pledged to ensure that Londoners pay no more than 38p per week for the Olympics.

95. Volunteering is being encouraged. The boy scouts and girl guides are being promoted. Lizzie Noel has been appointed the Mayor's adviser on Social Action and Volunteering and a website has been launched containing a one-stop-shop of volunteering opportunities for Londoners to get involved.

96. Measures to help tackle the recession including halving the standard payment period of the GLA group to its small and medium enterprise (SME) suppliers to ten working days.

97. The Mayoral commitment towards greater transparency has been demonstrated by publishing LDA grants of more than £1,000 on the LDA website. This is to safeguard against cronysim and waste. LDA grants are now going to worthwhile projects. An example is the £1,000 for the Bromley Table Tennis Development Group - one of many grants to promote sport. Some of the grant allocation, such as of the London Youth Offer fund has been delegated to the boroughs.

98. The LDA has established CompeteFor - a "dating agency" to help small and medium sized companies compete for the 4,000 Olympic contracts worth £1.7 billion.

99. There is more CCTV on London buses. Live CCTV has been brought in on a north London bus route. Twenty one double-decker buses have been fitted with technology, allowing pictures to be beamed live to the Centrecomm control centre shared by officers from Transport for London and the Metropolitan Police’s Transport Operational Command Unit. The technology allows officers to gain access to real-time images of the bus in question when a bus driver on the trial route makes a radio call to the control room. Pictures are beamed via secure and encrypted mobile networks directly from the buses to TfL’s control room. There are 60,000 CCTV cameras operating on the 8,000 London buses.

100. Crime mapping has been introduced allowing Londoners to find out about the level of crime in their neighbourhood.

Cadet57

Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:33 pm

Monster Raving Loony Party. FTW.  
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

baroque

Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:23 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 44):
But he also got a lot of useful stuff done too, in transport, allowing for the first few years of control freak behavior from Brown, being a prime example.

How has decentralised power worked out as opposed to what ?Jones says about it. Sounds good, is it?

Quoting oa260 (Reply 45):
He said: "Ping pong was invented on the dining tables of England in the 19th century and it was called wiff waff. There I think you have the essential difference between us and the rest of world. Other nations, the French, looked at a dining table and saw an opportunity to have dinner. We looked at a dining table and saw an opportunity to play wiff waff. That is why London is the sporting capital of the world. And I say to the Chinese, and I say to the world: ping pong is coming home."

Ah well, he is allowed the odd bon mot.

GDB

Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:50 am

That's some collection of press releases oa260!

But many of them, like unveiling statues and major completed projects, must have been in the works before 2008.

Whatever you though of Ian Blair, it was a step towards more political interference in policing, also I'd be wary about giving the mayor, any mayor, too much credit for operational success of officers on the ground, that's a bit like saying Gordon Brown gave the Taliban a stuffing yesterday!
(There was also been a reduction in fatal shootings in Johnson's term, but with more injuries due to bullet wounds to legs. However the police reckon that since a large number of those convicted of murders in this area have been sent down for 25-35 year minimum prison sentences, being it's a very small group of people involved in this gang related activity, a deterrent effect is at work here. The clear up rate for these murders is also very high).

I found his speech at the 2008 Olympics cringing.
That's a matter of personal taste of course, but he just has that effect on me, especially when you know with Johnson, it's something of an act, the bumbling persona.
And he was there to accept the handover for 2012 in no small measure due to his predecessor.

I will believe the 'new Routemasters' to replace the 'bendy buses' when I see a working prototype, so far timescales here seem to have slipped badly, with little in the way of a satisfactory explanation from Johnson so far.

However I do think Livingstone should not have stood again in 2008, he started strongly in the early years but tailed off and did make some dubious decisions in his later term.

Danfearn77

Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:55 am

Quoting oa260 (Reply 45):

Wow good job! I never thought your post was going to end! I love Boris Johnson, a funny and bright personality in politics.

Quoting Baroque (Reply 24):
Sounds like a man after my own very poorly informed heart and I am sure based on better evidence. I guess in the end I would try to vote against returning Cameron and between Clegg and Brown it would depend upon the electorate. If a possibility of a Lib Dem win, vote for them, but otherwise for Lab.

I just cant imagine keeping Labour in power. The way this country has gone is testament to how Labour have run it over the last 13 years. Everything is about figures rather than results. My personal favourite has to be the arrest of a 9yr old boy for assault for throwing a piece of cucumber at his mate. He was hauled in front of the courts before someone with a brain cell realised just how pathetic it is.

My dad is in the police and he know mentions most of the senior constables are former managers of Tesco stores. Why? Are they good police? No, but they can hit targets and that all that seems to matter. When my dad arrests someone, as he did recently for nicking a chocolate bar at MAN, he had to spend 2 HOURS filling out paperwork, then had to photocopy all this 6 times. Why? My dad is much more needed patrolling the terminals at MAN rather than spending 2 hours filling in paperwork over a 60p chocolate bar. He has worked in the police for 30 years now and he loathes it.

The reason i like conservatives and they get my vote is because they are about work. Dont work, you dont get anything and thats dam right. Society is now so cushy people are getting benefits for no reason and cant be arsed working:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...ic-girls-8000-benefits-binges.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...rth-of-benefits-is-not-enough.html

The justice system is a joke too:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...too-honest-so-judge-halts-trial.do

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...hese-soft-sentencing-scandals.html

Why do the offenders get more rights than the victims?
Eagles may soar high, but weasels dont get sucked into jet engines!