pnqiad

U.S. Approves Targeted Killing Of American Cleric

Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:25 pm

I was not really surprised that this hasn't been given a lot of attention by the US right or the left - it is inconvenient for them both and just as well to the media in general.....

U.S. Approves Targeted Killing of American Cleric

The man in question is a born US Citizen.

Inconvenience for those on the Right: They believe (sometimes conveniently so) that the President has unlimited authority in defending the US. However, for them there is a little pesky document called the Constitution which guarantees due process and fair trial.

Inconvenience for those on the Left: They cried hoarse for 8 years that President Bush was pushing the envelop on executive authority but now President of their own party is going even further. They were agitated with the warrant-less wiretapping etc. but this is just as much egregious to some if not more....

So what do you all think about this?

[Edited 2010-04-08 08:26:06]

DocLightning

RE: U.S. Approves Targeted Killing Of American Cleric

Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:37 pm

I think that there's bipartisan agreement that this man needs to be removed from the world. He lives to kill others. If they cannot catch him alive (and there is still an "alive or dead" out on him) and bring him to trial, then they would like him dead.

If Mr. Alwaki feels that there has been a misunderstanding, he is free to walk into a police station, give his name, cooperate with the investigation, and be exhonerated.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

casinterest

Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:12 pm

I see no conflict. This man is a member of Al Qaeda. He is now involved in plots against the US as a Terrorist, and as such is a military target under international law.

Same rules for him as OBL. Dead or Alive.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

DocLightning

Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:25 pm

"As a general principle, international law permits the use of lethal force against individuals and groups that pose an imminent threat to a country, and officials said that was the standard used in adding names to the list of targets."

It is not illegal to shoot a suspect if he does not submit to arrest.

The U.S. would much rather capture this man alive. A corpse isn't very useful.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

NIKV69

Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:27 pm

Time for this guy to die, I hope someone finds him and puts a bullet in his head. Hopefully he doesn't die quickly.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

futurepilot16

Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Quoting PNQIAD (Thread starter):
Inconvenience for those on the Right: They believe (sometimes conveniently so) that the President has unlimited authority in defending the US. However, for them there is a little pesky document called the Constitution which guarantees due process and fair trial.

Personally, I think that If we have a chance to kill these terrorists in another country of conflict, they should be denied due process, even if they are U.S. citizens.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 4):
Time for this guy to die, I hope someone finds him and puts a bullet in his head. Hopefully he doesn't die quickly.

"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

deltaownsall

Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:22 pm

to the five responses here.

The idea here is not that you are somehow magically protected because of where you are born, but that you are responsible for your actions.

I love that "pesky" Constitution as much as the next guy, but don't forget that it also grants the President the powers of "Commander in Chief." The cleric is a traitor and a dangerous enemy to the United States.