jetblue777
Topic Author

Tips/Advice About High School

Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:58 pm

Hey guys, I'm currently in 8th grade and I'm going to high school next year, I just recently found out that I'm one of the 5% who got accepted into Aviation High School in Long Island City, NY, Do you have any tips/advice about hs? What's the biggest difference between junor high and high school, what do I have to do to prepare and etc. Thanks in advance
It's a cultural thing.

STT757

RE: Tips/Advice About High School

Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:02 am

High School is about "cliques", you need to find yours.

[Edited 2010-04-13 17:04:14]
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

af773atmsp

Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:07 am

Hopefully your high school isn't like mine where almost everyone in my grade drinks and/or smokes. Starting high school is tough but it'll get better as time goes on.
It ain't no normal MD80 its a Super 80!

ajd1992

Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:11 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 1):

+100000

Try not to get into the bad crowds, find your place within your friends and don't take life too seriously. Work hard and do well in school - trust me, I arsed about for 5 years at secondary/high school and I have nothing to show for it. The work will come thick and fast and you might doubt yourself at times but it all works out in the end, so don't worry too much.

Other than that, try to have fun and you'll come out at the other end alive, hopefully.  

[Edited 2010-04-13 17:12:46]

NIKV69

Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:11 am

[Edited 2010-04-13 17:04:14]

Aviation High School? Do you go on spotting field trips?
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

Fly2HMO

Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:13 am

BS. I was part of no click in high school. And I wasn't a loner either nor was I labeled as one. Just be yourself. I got much more respect that way from almost every other "click" in school.

Quoting af773atmsp (Reply 2):
Hopefully your high school isn't like mine where almost everyone in my grade drinks and/or smokes.

Sadly that's all anybody knows to do nowadays, all the way up to college  

(And no, I'm no prude, I've gotten trashed many times, but there's a place and time for everything)

dc9northwest

Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:30 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 5):

+1

Hopefully your high school isn't like mine where almost everyone in my grade drinks and/or smokes. Starting high school is tough but it'll get better as time goes on.

As Fly2HMO said, it probably will be the same for Jetblue777...

I've gotten trashed many times, but there's a place and time for everything

Second semester senior year. At least that's what makes sense when considering college. At my high school... Second semester of senior year is a time for pot and booze. Don't like either of those.

Anyway:
I don't know about your particular school, but in general high school is much harder socially than by judging the educational standards of the place. At least in the US, where high schools teach you nothing. I went to a supposed top high school... There was no real learning going on. Unless you put a lot of emphasis on social life/"getting accepted" and unless you actually care what others think, it won't be too difficult. Be yourself.

So... My advice is that if you actually care about learning, learn by yourself, above and beyond what your HS recommends. And try to avoid the class drunkards, at least until senior year.

BMI727

Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:32 am

Mine wasn't at all, but it was pretty small (~400 students) so there weren't really enough people for a full complement of cliques. In fact, pretty much everybody there was either a friend or a friend of a friend.

Hopefully your high school isn't like mine where almost everyone in my grade drinks and/or smokes.

Not likely.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

vikkyvik

Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:03 am

Best advice in this thread so far:

Quoting ajd1992 (Reply 3):
don't take life too seriously

My general advice:

1.) Relax. It's just high school.

2.) Relax. It's just high school.

3.) RELAX. IT'S JUST HIGH SCHOOL.

It'll be over before you know it. Enjoy it, do well academically, don't spend your time worrying about all the petty bullsh*t that will come up, and you'll get through just fine.

Have fun, but not too much fun - remember, what you do the next 4 years will determine where you get into college, if that's your plan.

With that said, relax - it's just high school.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

fr8mech

Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:12 am

Quoting jetblue777 (Thread starter):
Aviation High School

The difference between your high school and most others is that most of the students in your school will have a common interest: aviation. As I recall, the school doesn't act as a neighborhood school, so everyone made a choice to be there. That takes care of some of the intial awkward stuff, but you'll still have the standard fitting in with the crowd situations.

I went to East New York Voc and Tech (now ENY School of Transit Technology) in the Aviation Maintenance Program. We competed against Aviaition HS in the V.I.C.A. competitions every year. I cleaned up my senior year  

And, by the way, relax, it's just high school.

[Edited 2010-04-13 18:16:24]
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

KPDX

Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:15 am

Lol. High school is nothing dude...Seriously, don't sweat it.
View my aviation videos on Youtube by searching for zildjiandrummr12

StarAC17

Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:24 am

BS. I was part of no click in high school. And I wasn't a loner either nor was I labeled as one. Just be yourself. I got much more respect that way from almost every other "click" in school.

Both are true it depends on the school, mine didn't have any major ones but some do.

One word of advice about high school and learning this earlier sets you up for college if you are going to go after.

If you are popular and high school is awesome be humble about it and don't let the popularity go to your head. If you aren't then find a group that you are accepted to and not care about the cool kids, also if your miserable its only 4 years of your life (this is especially important if you happen to get bullied and hopefully that doesn't happen).

After high school is where life really starts and in college/university that high school attitude that the popular kids have usually doesn't matter one bit.

Quoting KPDX (Reply 10):

it may not seem like that at 15 but its the biggest truth you will ever learn at this point in your life.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

Fly2HMO

Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:48 am

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 6):

Second semester senior year. At least that's what makes sense when considering college. At my high school... Second semester of senior year is a time for pot and booze. Don't like either of those.

To expand my point further: a lot of kids nowadays regard high school as little more as a place to find people to throw parties with and get absolutely shitfaced every single weekend. There's no harm partying here and there, but some stupid kids just forget one thing: it's SCHOOL, not a place for organizing daily orgies (as fun as those may be   ).

My high school wasn't exactly a party school but the professors were the laziest I ever had and the least strict. Sure, it was nice at the time being, being able to almost do as you please during class. But once I got into college I was having an extremely hard time adjusting to the such drastic change in amounts of homework, papers, commitment, responsibility etc. I damn near got kicked out of college due to low grades in my 2nd semester, and I blame my high school for not giving me adequate study habits and an unrealistic expectation of college.

Oh, and be very skeptical of school recommendations, little did I know at the time that all the good reviews I got from my high school were from major slobs   

Quoting KPDX (Reply 10):

Amen! You've seen nothing yet.

[Edited 2010-04-13 18:48:49]

[Edited 2010-04-13 18:49:31]

shaq

Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:59 am

Ok ! WoW , someone of my age at a.net xD
Ok my friend ,study .
Don't take your social life as a headache. Be yourself.
I remember when I was in 6th I was trying to be like other people.
Now in HS I was being only myself , and I don't have any problem lol !
PS: Im in 9th
Studying hard, for flying right!

cpd

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:06 am

I arsed about for 5 years at secondary/high school and I have nothing to show for it. The work will come thick and fast and you might doubt yourself at times but it all works out in the end, so don't worry too much.

That's great advice.

Other than that, be yourself - and don't get involved with the wrong crowd.

Mir

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:13 am

I was part of no click in high school. And I wasn't a loner either nor was I labeled as one. Just be yourself. I got much more respect that way from almost every other "click" in school.

Apparently, you were in the clique of people who couldn't spell "clique". Loser.   

To the OP, do some extra-curricular stuff, and the friendships will follow. And don't try too hard - it is just high school, after all.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

JBirdAV8r

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:22 am

Don't be afraid to be yourself. If you don't want to do something, don't do it!

Don't take yourself too seriously. You don't have to be all things to everybody, you don't have to be right all the time. Everybody's still learning. You screw up--it happens. (This was a hard lesson for me to learn)

Enjoy yourself, but study hard. I haven't seen a single person that slacked off in high school that now, ten years later, is happy they did it. They're stuck in dead-end jobs with no hope of advancement and have ABSOLUTELY no fun now. Every single one of them--without exception--would go back and change it if they could.

Don't drive like a freakin' moron when you get your car! You can't handle it as well as you think, and let me tell you, the last thing I think of when I get passed by a Civic at 100mph is "gee, what an awesome car."  

And most important....Don't be an idiot.  

You know...that sounds negative. It's really not. You'll have a great four years in high school and you'll do just fine!
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

Fly2HMO

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:29 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 15):

Apparently, you were in the clique of people who couldn't spell "clique". Loser.

Awww dammit. My mind meant one thing but my fingers typed another.   

Whatever. Same difference.  

KPDX

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:41 am

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 16):
And most important....Don't be an idiot.

Don't be something you're not, you will look dumb. Be yourself!
View my aviation videos on Youtube by searching for zildjiandrummr12

futurepilot16

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:42 am

Quoting jetblue777 (Thread starter):
Hey guys, I'm currently in 8th grade and I'm going to high school next year, I just recently found out that I'm one of the 5% who got accepted into Aviation High School in Long Island City, NY, Do you have any tips/advice about hs? What's the biggest difference between junor high and high school, what do I have to do to prepare and etc. Thanks in advance

All I can say is good luck and enjoy it while it lasts. You're gonna find out really soon that you have a love/hate relationship with high school. Also, get involved. Sports, after school clubs, talk to people and make some friends. Don't be an outcast or you'll want to slit your wrists by junior year (i've seen it happen). I don't remember junior high that much, but you should realize that your friends are a lot more spaced out in HS.

P.S. I see you got accepted into an aviation hs. It might be easier for you than if you were in a regular hs because in aviation hs, everyone likes the same thing. You'll be fine.
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

itsjustme

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:05 am

Well, the fact that someone your age is asking for advice speaks volumes. Typically, those in your age bracket (myself included, way back when) thinks they know everything and have the world by the ass and don't have the foresight to ask those of us who have been there for help.

You are entering a phase of your life when things that you do, or don't do for that matter, will have a significant impact on years to come. My advice? Plain and simple: Have the ability to "Just say no". You seem to have a good head on your shoulders and if your gut tells you it's wrong, it's probably wrong. Yes, you may be seen as an outcast or an oddball now but 10 years down the road when you've graduated college and you are venturing into the working world, you won't have that DUI or marijuana possession arrest on your record and you'll be able to score that job you've always longed for.

I wanted to be a cop for as far back as I can remember. Hell, at age 9 I chased down a kid whole stole a bike from the bike rack at my elementary school.   Fortunately for me, I had the smarts to know that, in order to achieve that goal, I had to keep my nose clean. So that's my advice in a nutshell. Keep your nose clean. What might seem as the "cool" thing to do now might come back and bite you in the ass 10 or 15 years from now.

As one poster said, study hard. Get good grades and do not skip school. Yes, it's true that probably 75% of the shit they will teach you in HS will be useless in your adult life but all I can say is, welcome to the real world. The rule of thumb is, read the books they give you in class and pass the tests they give you and then when you get out into the real world, throw away the books and do it the right way. I will never forget one thing my FTO (Field Training Officer) told me the first day of my training as a fresh, out-of-the-academy rookie 25 some odd years ago - "Forget that shit they taught you in the academy. You passed, you got the tin on your chest and the iron on your hip - now it's time to learn what will allow you to go home every night to your wife and kids".

So my friend, keep your nose clean, go with your gut instinct and if something doesn't feel right - walk away. You have your whole life ahead of you - what you do today will impact you for years to come.

BMI727

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:50 am

Quoting futurepilot16 (Reply 19):

Well, being in an aviation high school means he probably won't have to worry about girls. Considering the track reocords of some young anetters, this is probably best. 
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

NorthstarBoy

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:39 am

First of all, congratulations on your accomplishment, very impressive.

I can only speak from my own experience at a "normal" high school, so here goes:

"Relax it's just high school" was an attitude i wish i had not taken. I learned the hard way that the next four years will basically determine the course you take for the rest of your life. How you do in high school will determine where you go to college, which will determine which doors you can open once you've graduated from college, how much money you'll make after college, it all comes down to the next four years. Do your best and you'll be rewarded down the road. Do less than your best and years down the road you may be looking upon those who did do their best with a certain sense of envy and wish you could go back and do it over.

I neither smoked nor drank nor did any other kind of intoxicating substance in high school, my parents never would have put up with that. The point here is stay clean because your parents can make your life a living hell otherwise.

Above and beyond the various cliques, none of which i fit into, in my HS being college prep was everything, those who weren't going to college were pretty much looked upon as being losers. It didn't even matter so much in the end where you went to college, the important thing was that you were going.

As someone else said, get involved in something. To that i would add enjoy what you get involved in, and if it stops being enjoyable, don't be afraid to drop that activity. The case in point for me was Civil Air Patrol. I was in for three and one half years and i loved it. When i stopped loving it i stopped going. Did some people in my squadron look upon me as being a quitter? yes, did I care? not really. In the end the kids in the squadron who mattered respected me for getting out when i did, and many of them ended up following me out the door.

If you're the proverbial 95 pound weakling (As i was) find friends who are bigger than you are who will stand up for you in the face of bullies and don't be afraid to walk away from potential fights. As my parents used to tell me, nothing in this world is worth getting into a fist fight over. Just walk away.

Lastly, even though you're going to a charter school, watch the movie The Breakfast Club, IMO it's probably the best movie ever made about high school. It'll really open your eyes about the various cliques most kids have to deal with.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

STT757

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:30 pm

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 11):
After high school is where life really starts and in college/university

Couldn't agree more, I'm going to put myself over a bit here and brag that I was in the very popular crowd my Junior and Senior years of High School. Everyone knew me and I was at all the parties, however it required a lot of bs. to maintain that popularity. By the time my Senior year was winding down I was cutting myself off from everyone ( I probably burned a lot of bridges in hindsight I wish I hadn't) , College was a nice change where I was better able to concentrate on my studies more so than I ever was in High School. College was a great time, I was so relaxed.

ScarletHarlot

Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:41 pm

Keep your chin up. High school can be a horrible four years. But, it's ONLY four years, and after high school, things get so much better. Grades 9-10 were absolute hell for me. It started getting better in grade 11 but the day I went to university was like a rebirth. The life *I* always wanted started then.

Do keep in mind that high school sets you up for the rest of your life. You've already taken a great first step by going to an aviation high school. You've already started down your path and your fellow students will be less likely to be useless fuckups. But also keep in mind that you can change your path at any time. You're just laying the foundation for your life, not locking yourself into your future.

I hope you find some good friends with whom you can relax and be yourself. Be a good friend back to them - take the high road and try not to engage in petty and backstabbing crap.

You had a lot of good advice above. Very best wishes for four happy and productive years.
But that was when I ruled the world

kmh1956

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:16 pm

Be yourself.
Work hard; study hard...and do your homework in a timely manner. If there's extra-curricular stuff being offered; do it.
Don't think that good looks and sports ability will get you through. There are more athletes and models who AREN'T on the sports fields and runways than are.
Respect your teachers; they know what they're doing. They've been around long enough, and dealt with enough bratty teenagers to ddeserve respect. (And trust me, teachers don't have the time to sit around and pick out one kid from hundreds/thousands to pick on.) These are the people who will be writing your college recommendations.
Be nice to the non-teaching staff as well. Imagine what it's like to clean toilets, serve lunch etc to hundreds of kids who don't belong to you.
Respect your school; keep it clean.
Speak clearly when speaking to the adults and look them in the eye. There's nothing worse than a kid who mumbles and stares at his shoes.
Watch your language...if you haven't already, you'll be dating soon...and most girls really DON'T like a foul-mouthed boy.
Set goals and work toward them.
Find something you're passionate about and see if you can make a career out of it. Chosse your majors wisely...and by what subjects interest YOU. Don't do 18th Century History of Accounting just because Great-great-grandpa, grandpa and numerous uncles did.
Drive sensibly. Don't text and drive. make your car a no phone zone.
And, above all...relax! It's only high school.

(And while I do work in a school, I'm not a teacher)
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

P3Orion

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:04 pm

Find an activity that you enjoy, be it sports, band or drama; and join. However, above all else, just be yourself.
I will have a Manhattan.

shaq

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:08 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 23):
veryone knew me and I was at all the parties, however it required a lot of bs. to maintain that popularity.

Interesting post !

I want to ask you something ? Being popular is bad ? were you popular ?
Jetblue777 are you popular ?

STT757

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:29 pm

Quoting SHAQ (Reply 27):
Quoting STT757 (Reply 23):
veryone knew me and I was at all the parties, however it required a lot of bs. to maintain that popularity.

Interesting post !

I would define popularity as how many people know who you are, and in that respect there are still days today where I'm walking in the mall and someone recognizes me from high school and comes up and talks to me and I have absolutely no clue who they are. Same thing with facebook.

tommy767

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Know that in high school it's important to do your work because the light at the end of the tunnel is college. From my experience, this is what to know about each year:

FRESHMAN: Schoolwork isn't all that hard so make sure you do well and take your classes at least somewhat seriously. Get involved in sports and other extra curricular's but also know if you don't like something don't be afraid to not do it again in the future but try something else instead. (EG: if you don't like cross country after doing it freshman year, don't opt. for it sophomore year but do football instead..) And like I said, do your homework.

SOPHOMORE: Continue to work hard but also know that socially things might start to change a little bit. People will start to experiment with drinking and possibly even smoking. You might start to get involved with girls and whatnot. I say this because oftentimes freshman year is just too young for some (it was for me.) As a sophomore your still immature, but your on your way to being more mature by the end of the year.

JUNIOR: This year SUCKS. Taking SAT/ACT, looking at colleges without knowing that you'll actually get in, other stupid standardized tests, possible friend/girl pressures. Another bad thing about junior year is how I was on the younger side of my grade so I didn't get my license until the summer before senior year. Everybody else seemed to be driving but me and it pissed me off. One thing I recall about junior year is how I was in all regular classes so the actual content was pretty easy compared to the SATs I took. Therefore my grades improved a good amount, but I can't say I had actual fun during junior year either. The summer before senior year was a good time though.

SENIOR: Know that half of senior year is actual high school and half of it is a true party. The first half will be mainly be applying, waiting, getting into, and rejected from colleges. On top of it all, most colleges are making sure your not slacking off so be sure your grades are up for the first and second marking periods. This isn't fun either but at least you know the light is at the end of the tunnel. The second half of senior year is hopefully a time where you got into a college of your choice and you can just party, be reckless, and have a grand ol' time. Teachers know that you'll be slacking off by then so it's easier for them as well.

Don't take life too seriously either. College is where the REAL fun begins.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

shaq

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:20 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 28):
I would define popularity as how many people know who you are

Hmmm I really like parties !
Good girls , my friends , soda , snacks !
Good !

AirframeAS

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:26 am

My advice is to have fun at this. High school is meant to be fun. You only get one shot at this. It is a make or break type thing. Once it is over, you can't go back.

For me, I loved high school. I really didn't care about anyone. I stayed focus on my extra-curricular activities year round. It was great to be in high school! I wished I could go back and do it over again.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

DocLightning

Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:29 pm

Try not to get into the bad crowds, find your place within your friends and don't take life too seriously.

And *DON'T* try to be in the "popular" group. Just be happy being a sideliner.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

mffoda

Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:52 pm

What's the biggest difference between junor high and high school? Grades count now (if you plan on College).

Young people tend to think that every situation they find themselves in is very significant / Important... Its not  
(I know, we couldn't possibly understand)  Wow!

You got accepted into Aviation High School... So its seems you know what you want to do with your life already? That puts you ahead of most others at your age... Just work hard and enjoy your youth  

Oh yeah.. one last thing..... wear a rubber!
harder than woodpecker lips...

jetblue777
Topic Author

Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:37 am

Thank You for all your responses, I really really appreciate it  
Quoting SHAQ (Reply 27):
Interesting post !

Hm, my grades make me popular hheheheh   but I'm not a nerd, just an average student with decent grades. A lot of people know me, in-fact, most of the whole 8th graders know me. I'm the shortest in my class (a class of 33) and all the girls treat me as if I'm their lil' bro, can't complain, I dont mind getting hugs from girls  
Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 22):
First of all, congratulations on your accomplishment, very impressive.

Thank You  
It's a cultural thing.

WESTERN737800

Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:54 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 15):
To the OP, do some extra-curricular stuff, and the friendships will follow
Quoting futurepilot16 (Reply 19):
Also, get involved. Sports, after school clubs, talk to people and make some friends
As someone else said, get involved in something. To that i would add enjoy what you get involved in, and if it stops being enjoyable, don't be afraid to drop that activity
Quoting P3Orion (Reply 26):
Find an activity that you enjoy, be it sports, band or drama; and join. However, above all else, just be yourself.

Couldn't agree with these more. I wasn't really involved with any extra-curricular stuff til my senior year. My senior year was a blast. My earlier years weren't bad either, but would've been much better had I been involved in extra curr. stuff. I think by being involved in extra curr. stuff may present a better group of friends to hang around with. At my school if you were involved with sports or band or whatever it gave ya much more chances to hang out with the ladies than just going to class with them, this is what I really missed out on.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 31):
You only get one shot at this. It is a make or break type thing. Once it is over, you can't go back.

Great piece of advice. I had a good time in high school, but after being in the real world I would like to go back and make it a great time.
Everything in reply 25 is great advice. Being a pilot, its best to have intitative, ya gotta be proactive rather than reactive. Work Hard, do something productive, know what is right and wrong and act accordingly. Be accountable, look for things that need to be done and do them. I think being involved involved in sports and things like that make people have more of a sense of responsibility and accountibility, and those quatities can go a long way when you're at the workplace. Employers like someone who isn't afraid to do a little extra.
Bring back Western Airlines!

LASoctoberB6

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:20 am

Senior year, and I still absolutely REFUSE to join in that game. It does leave me very lonely with weekends spent at home for the majority, but I'm not risking anything with it.
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

DocLightning

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:43 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 12):

My high school wasn't exactly a party school but the professors were the laziest I ever had and the least strict. Sure, it was nice at the time being, being able to almost do as you please during class. But once I got into college I was having an extremely hard time adjusting to the such drastic change in amounts of homework, papers, commitment, responsibility etc. I damn near got kicked out of college due to low grades in my 2nd semester, and I blame my high school for not giving me adequate study habits and an unrealistic expectation of college.

Funny. I went to a public high school and then I went to Stanford. Guess which was harder?

High school was harder. By a long shot. I breezed through Stanford. The thing about Stanford was that I was only taking 3-4 classes at a time, rather than 7 like in high school.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Fly2HMO

Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:17 am

Quoting LASoctoberB6 (Reply 36):
It does leave me very lonely with weekends spent at home for the majority, but I'm not risking anything with it.

Well you can still go to said parties and not get trashed or drink... at least not in excess, that's what I always did. Yes its a pain to deal with people pressuring you into drinking and what not, but you gain a LOT of bonus points and respect with people if you're the DD, or taking care of the uberly-trashed ones, specially with the ladies. Nothing will get you more bonus points with a girl (after the fact of course) than getting her drunken, passed-out ass back to her place after a party and leaving her there safe and sound, WITHOUT taking advantage of her. She could very well like to take advantage of you on a later occasion, when you're both sober, as a token of her appreciation  And yes I'm speaking from experience.   

Of course, don't bother if a) she's taken, or b) if she's an ungrateful bitch when she's drunk, since then most likely she's worse of a bitch when sober.  
Quoting DocLightning (Reply 37):

High school was harder. By a long shot.

Interesting. Wouldn't have expected that.

My high school was private, and to make things worse (for a straight guy at least   ) all male, and catholic    I loathed it. Fortunately it went by quick.

Mir

Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:48 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 38):

High school was harder. By a long shot.

Interesting. Wouldn't have expected that.

My high school was the same way. And it was public. Granted, I wasn't exactly going to Stanford for college, but still.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ual747den

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:16 am

Get with as many women as you can and get your drinking up to par so you can be prepared for college! Seriously dont listen to these people HS is not that hard and there will be plenty of time to drink and get laid.

I don't remember ANY tests I took in HS but I do remember a few of the big parties and fun women!

Flame away.......
/// UNITED AIRLINES

dc9northwest

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:56 am

Quoting UAL747DEN (Reply 40):

No, I agree. In this day and age, we must eliminate any job competition we can.

HS is not that hard

Aye, that's actually the truth.

plenty of time to drink and get laid

[sarcasm] If you do get laid, might as well pick a proper crack whore to teach you everything there is to know. You can trust her experience. And, perhaps, a little hit of the crack pipe before your first sexual encounter, ja?... Then you shall see who is the stronger, a little girl who doesn't eat enough or a big strong man with cocaine in his body [/sarcasm]

Seriously, jetblue777: as far as I care, you can drink and screw all you want... But I would advise not to do both on the same night. Or do the screwing first. When you're in high school and drunk... You can't make the best decisions.

Oh, and make sure no one spikes your drinks, especially when you have to drive.

a few of the big parties and fun women

You sure you don't have those switched?  
catholic

All-male and catholic? Ouch... I'm terribly sorry for you.

DocLightning

Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:28 am

Well you can still go to said parties and not get trashed or drink... at least not in excess, that's what I always did. Yes its a pain to deal with people pressuring you into drinking and what not, but you gain a LOT of bonus points and respect with people if you're the DD, or taking care of the uberly-trashed ones, specially with the ladies. Nothing will get you more bonus points with a girl (after the fact of course) than getting her drunken, passed-out ass back to her place after a party and leaving her there safe and sound, WITHOUT taking advantage of her. She could very well like to take advantage of you on a later occasion, when you're both sober, as a token of her appreciation And yes I'm speaking from experience.

Someone give the boy a cold shower...

Quoting Mir (Reply 39):
My high school was the same way. And it was public. Granted, I wasn't exactly going to Stanford for college, but still.

Stanford doesn't operate on a "kill your students" philosophy. They figure that if you were good enough to get in, they don't need to put the fear of god into you. They also tend to treat their students like adults, which is really nice.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

fxramper

Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:36 am

Take as many AP classes and placements exams as you can and keep trouser snake caged.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 32):
And *DON'T* try to be in the "popular" group.

Nothing wrong with being popular in high school; I was. Look at me now, I'm kick ass.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 42):

No shit; lay off the sauce before preaching brother!   

DocLightning

Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:37 am

Quoting fxramper (Reply 43):
Nothing wrong with being popular in high school; I was. Look at me now, I'm kick ass.

And I was a happy dork.

Um... That's Dr. Dork to you.  
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

flanker

Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:26 am

High school was so stupid. It was a total waste of time for me and i absolutely hated it.

Anyway,

Best advice i can give you is to keep your grades up and find the balance in your life. You're going to be going through a lot of changes and it will be very easy to fuck up your life, so its nice to be prepared. Don't be afraid to talk to elders or friends if you have problems.

1. Main thing is to not get anyone knocked up. Keep your dick in your pants and save it for the right times (less chance of STD and getting anyone preggers). Don't listen to any chick that tells you shes on birth control. Unless you're dating her an you're certain, EVEN THEN still use protection.

2. Keep your grades up so you don't have problems later.

3. Get into sports, choose your friends wisely and enjoy life without responsibilities while you can.

There is probably more, but its so late I can't think straight.

[Edited 2010-04-17 00:29:26]
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

LASoctoberB6

Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:09 am

specially with the ladies. Nothing will get you more bonus points with a girl (after the fact of course) than getting her drunken, passed-out ass back to her place after a party and leaving her there safe and sound, WITHOUT taking advantage of her. She could very well like to take advantage of you on a later occasion, when you're both sober, as a token of her appreciation And yes I'm speaking from experience

I actually don't swing that way.. lol but I'd still gladly take the "respect" bit.  
Quoting DocLightning (Reply 42):

I thought to post the same thing.. 
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

ual747den

Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:17 pm

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 41):
You sure you don't have those switched?  

That was one time and it was a mistake!

WHO ARE YOU..............?!?!?!
/// UNITED AIRLINES

N1120A

Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:39 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 8):
My general advice:

1.) Relax. It's just high school.

2.) Relax. It's just high school.

3.) RELAX. IT'S JUST HIGH SCHOOL.

This is good advice, but really tough to follow.

I learned the hard way that the next four years will basically determine the course you take for the rest of your life.

No it doesn't. It absolutely doesn't.

Now, I will say that doing well in high school, and that is an ever evolving standard that has gotten WAY out of control and too difficult to attain, will make the path to a good university easy. That said, it is certainly not the only way.

How you do in high school will determine where you go to college, which will determine which doors you can open once you've graduated from college, how much money you'll make after college, it all comes down to the next four years.

I did well, but not spectacularly in high school, essentially because I didn't decide to conform with the way they want students to be. I went to a public high school and took lots of AP classes and got a 3 or higher on 5 exams, so it cut down significantly the general ed credits I had to take in college. I scored very well on my SAT I and SAT IIs, but my merely mortal 3.5 or so GPA meant I had a choice of community college or the mediocre Cal State system. I chose option A and transferred out of Santa Monica College to UCLA after 2 years. Both were great experiences, for different reasons. Low and behold, I ended up at a top tier law school and I'm doing just fine.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 31):
High school is meant to be fun.

No it isn't. High school absolutely sucks. College is fun.

Funny. I went to a public high school and then I went to Stanford. Guess which was harder?

High school was harder. By a long shot. I breezed through Stanford. The thing about Stanford was that I was only taking 3-4 classes at a time, rather than 7 like in high school.

Total agreement. UCLA was significantly "easier" than high school, because college generally is much less regimented than high school. Also, you are judged on actual academic merit and evaluation systems are far more closely based on knowledge-gained, not on subjectivity and regurgitation. That means that showing up and taking an interest means you are getting at least a B in the class. If is far easier to graduate with honors from college than it is in high school
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

luckyone

Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:39 pm

Quoting SHAQ (Reply 27):

Next bit of advice: don't get attached to the word popular. The most "popular" kids in high school usually end up working at dead-end, minimum wage jobs because they wasted their potential. Nobody uses the word "popular" to describe themselves after throwing that cap up in the air. Frankly, those who do prattle on and on about popularity also look even more foolish to onlookers than teenagers do by simply just being teenagers. Hit the books, do what you want that doesn't harm yourself or anybody else, take everything you can out of it to make yourself better and then get the hell out.

Someone else said it and I cannot agree more: your ability to throw that round ball in a hoop better than other mediocre talents doesn't make you special. Realize you are only the center of your own universe. Nobody else gives a damn.

Quoting LASoctoberB6 (Reply 36):
Senior year, and I still absolutely REFUSE to join in that game. It does leave me very lonely with weekends spent at home for the majority, but I'm not risking anything with it.

Don't worry about it. I'm two years out of college and I still know people that have not left the small town my university was in. Guess who they were...the people who partied every weekend because they either had useless degrees or just didn't give a rip. Now, they cannot find jobs and are working at Office Max with a degree in Marketing...

Therefore, I would also say this: go into a field that you also enjoy, but that you're good at and is going to set you apart. How many people have degrees in general business: A LOT, and you will have to compete with every one of them.