MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Western Chinese Province Struck By 6.9 Earthquake

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:09 am

A powerful earthquake has shattered the Quinghai in China.
Just as if the world did not have enough powerful earthquakes in the recent past.

Quote:
A series of strong earthquakes struck China's western Qinghai province Wednesday, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

6.9 is very powerful and scary. Hundreds of casualties are reported.
These parts of the world must be really difficult to access by road. They will have to use helicopters for rescue I guess.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8619135.stm

Recent earthquakes
Magnitude 6.9 Souuthern Quinghai China April 13 2010
Magnitude 6.8 Solomon Islands April 11 2010
Magnitude 6.3 Spain April 11 2010

Magnitude 5.0 - IZU ISLANDS, JAPAN REGION
2010 April 14 08:16:23 UTC

RIP earthquake victims.

[Edited 2010-04-14 01:47:45]
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

sw733

RE: Western Chinese Province Struck By 6.9 Earthquake

Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:51 pm

Very sad to hear about the deaths. Luckily, it does not appear to be as bad as 2008 (I was in China for that one and felt it from 800 miles away, amazing); however, that is little comfort to all those who lost loved ones.

Qinghai, while beautiful, is certainly a bad place for an earthquake. Some rugged terrain and some very, very poor people. I wish the best to them all.

Silver1SWA
Crew

RE: Western Chinese Province Struck By 6.9 Earthquake

Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:15 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Thread starter):
Just as if the world did not have enough powerful earthquakes in the recent past.

I found this arcticle on the Yahoo front page that addresses something discussed in the Mexico/So Cal quake thread.

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/93573?fp=1

I couldn't help but notice this part...from the article:

"Geophysicist Dale Grant spoke with CNN and remarked that while it may seem like quakes are getting more frequent, the numbers are about average, historically speaking. What has changed? The quakes are striking more populated areas, which has led to more damage, more deaths, and, as a consequence, far more news coverage. It might seem like we're getting a lot more earthquakes, but they're actually just causing more damage due to where they are striking."

Pretty much what I have been saying almost word for word!  

Just had to share.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.