EA772LR
Topic Author

Tea Partiers Wealthier/more Educated...

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:00 pm

The New York Times/CBS poll find members of the Tea Party have higher incomes and are better educated than most Americans.

"according to the poll, their incomes and education levels are well above average.

Of the Tea Party supporters who responded, 20 percent make more than $100,000, versus 14 percent for the general pool of people polled. Fourteen percent of Tea Party supporters have a post-graduate education, compared with 10 percent for the general public. Twenty-three percent of Tea Party supporters have a college degree, compared with 15 percent for the general public, according to the poll."

So much for the folks who think Tea Partiers are uneducated, disgruntled, racist   white red necks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/15/us/politics/15poll.html
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...orters-richer-educated-poll-finds/
We often judge others by their actions, but ourselves by our intentions.

UAL747

RE: Tea Partiers Wealthier/more Educated...

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:16 pm

Quoting EA772LR (Thread starter):
So much for the folks who think Tea Partiers are uneducated, disgruntled, racist white red necks.

First of all, the above means nothing. Typically, and I say typically, people with post-graduate degrees are liberals. You're EXTREME wealthy, (not talking $250,000/yr) tend to be liberal. And people with college degrees tend to be more liberal.

All I think this shows is how radical they really are if they've had this much education and opportunity to learn at higher income levels, but are this racist, uneducated, disgruntled, white red necks. I'm sorry, just because you have money and an education doesn't mean you incapable of being racist red necks. Many stupid individuals have post-graduate degrees. Look at our backward lawmakers here in OK! They wanted to take away the Matthew Shepard act, and instead of doing that, they accidentally left the Matthew Shepard act, but took away discrimination laws for everyone else.

Your above statistics mean nothing.
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

jpetekyxmd80

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:29 pm

Oh, wow, 23% have a college education... well then! what a pack of einsteins..
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

PPVRA

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:49 pm

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 1):
First of all, the above means nothing. Typically, and I say typically, people with post-graduate degrees are liberals. You're EXTREME wealthy, (not talking $250,000/yr) tend to be liberal. And people with college degrees tend to be more liberal.

Probably only because of largely useless social sciences courses.

edit: perhaps a bit too harsh, but not by much!

[Edited 2010-04-15 09:50:34]
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

EA CO AS

Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:53 pm

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 1):
So much for the folks who think Tea Partiers are uneducated, disgruntled, racist white red necks.

First of all, the above means nothing.

Because you say so? Who died and made you Gallup?

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 8):
Teabaggers

I guess this explains where you stand...   
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

IADCA

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:00 pm

Anyone ever heard of sampling and response biases? Maybe social science educations aren't so useless after all. It's hardly surprising that you get a result of higher education levels than you expect; more highly-educated people are more likely to respond to surveys than less-educated people. Granted, the article says nothing about the survey's methodology (even paper vs. phone), but I take pretty much all media polls with a big grain of salt.

MoltenRock

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:00 pm

Of course they are a bit wealthier. White people make more in America, and the party is 99% white people. And the point is???

The TeaParty People I've all met are disgruntled middle managers who have had their wages cut, benefits cut, and are bitter about having to work harder than they used to or their parents did. The have a sense of entitlement that they are white, middle class, and therefore deserved a $100K job working 35 hours a week, and playing golf on Fridays with a secure retirement package and promotion timeline without having to do much of anything. Those days are over and these people are bitter about it, and feel others have "stolen" their golden goose.

NIKV69

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:33 pm

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 6):
Of course they are a bit wealthier. White people make more in America, and the party is 99% white people. And the point is???

You wouldn't have anything like "facts" or "sources" to back this up would you Falcon?

The TeaParty People I've all met are disgruntled middle managers who have had their wages cut, benefits cut, and are bitter about having to work harder than they used to or their parents did. The have a sense of entitlement that they are white, middle class, and therefore deserved a $100K job working 35 hours a week, and playing golf on Fridays with a secure retirement package and promotion timeline without having to do much of anything. Those days are over and these people are bitter about it, and feel others have "stolen" their golden goose.

This is so funny, in another thread the tea party was classified as out of work lower class, low intelligence people. Now all of a sudden they are smart people with good jobs? Give me a break they are simply people that work for a living and don't want to pay 20% in taxes to support a bunch of people that refuse to get their asses off the couch. Entitlement? The only people that are feeling entitled here are the ones that feel they should get a free eduacation and free health care for nothing on the backs of the people that get up every morning and bust their ass 10-12 hours a day. You want that I suggest you move to Sweden.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

Boeing1970

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:37 pm

Quoting jpetekyxmd80 (Reply 2):

Context is everything:

Of the Tea Party supporters who responded, 20 percent make more than $100,000, versus 14 percent for the general pool of people polled. Fourteen percent of Tea Party supporters have a post-graduate education, compared with 10 percent for the general public. Twenty-three percent of Tea Party supporters have a college degree, compared with 15 percent for the general public, according to the poll.

Boeing1970

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:38 pm

I'm going to guess you haven't met any. Yes, we feel entitled. Entitled to keep as much as we earn as posisble and rather than work 50-60 hours a week so that nealry half our income can be redistributed to others. You call that greed and I could care less.

[Edited 2010-04-15 11:45:17]

PPVRA

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:39 pm

Quoting IADCA (Reply 5):
Anyone ever heard of sampling and response biases? Maybe social science educations aren't so useless after all. It's hardly surprising that you get a result of higher education levels than you expect; more highly-educated people are more likely to respond to surveys than less-educated people. Granted, the article says nothing about the survey's methodology (even paper vs. phone), but I take pretty much all media polls with a big grain of salt.

Statisticians study a lot about that and how to avoid it.

Aesma

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:43 pm

The poll was about "Tea Party supporters". They didn't actually go to a protest to poll people there.

So I would say those supporters with high income are not those we see on TV (yeah, even in France they made the news with their guns and beards and slogans). Maybe more along typical GOP supporter that don't like what the GOP has become.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

MoltenRock

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:49 pm

Quoting Boeing1970 (Reply 9):
I'm going to guess you haven't met any.

Quite the contrary. That or those that self-identified as "tea party" people were lying, which I doubt. I met a number of them, and can't say I've been anything but amused by their cognitive dissonance. All of them, and I mean every one of them, only had talking points with no basis in history, facts, or relevance of what they decried. Once you start asking them about their personal lives and what's transpired, it's a very easy to see what motivates them, and why. It doesn't mean it's accurate, it just means that's what these people believe. It also makes it easier to determine how to market / sell to these people. Much as the astroturf purveyors have been selling their agenda to these Tea Party People.

*shrug*

IADCA

Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:09 pm

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 10):
Statisticians study a lot about that and how to avoid it.

And that's why polls by statisticians and political scientists are usually a lot more reliable than off-the-cuff media polls. The media does its election polling pretty well, using well-defined likely-voter screens, etc., but the everyday stuff is still pretty second-rate.

Confuscius

Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:32 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 11):
So I would say those supporters with high income are not those we see on TV

Yep, few that have jobs and not protesting. The ones participating during weekday rallies are probably on unemployment insurance, social security and disability...as well as section 8.
Ain't I a stinker?

futurepilot16

Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:35 pm

Well, if you read the article, it says people who support the tea party are usually wealthier and educated. The people I poke fun at are the out of work idiots that the aforementioned rich smart people use as their minions to protest the issues that can make them more money. For example, politicians use them as minions. Ditto with insurance company executives. These guys all support the teabaggers because they can use them for their own benefit.

Quoting IADCA (Reply 5):
but I take pretty much all media polls with a big grain of salt.

as do I

The poll was about "Tea Party supporters". They didn't actually go to a protest to poll people there.

Exactly my point. Even if they did go to a tea party support and ask questions, the people there themselves would be too ashamed to tell the truth.
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

Boeing1970

Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:37 pm

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 12):
All of them, and I mean every one of them, only had talking points with no basis in history, facts, or relevance of what they decried.

Like I said, you haven't met any of them.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:39 pm

Quoting Boeing1970 (Reply 8):
Quoting jpetekyxmd80 (Reply 2):

Context is everything:

Of the Tea Party supporters who responded, 20 percent make more than $100,000, versus 14 percent for the general pool of people polled. Fourteen percent of Tea Party supporters have a post-graduate education, compared with 10 percent for the general public. Twenty-three percent of Tea Party supporters have a college degree, compared with 15 percent for the general public, according to the poll.

There you go, letting the facts get in the wayof a good argument!

AGM100

Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:02 pm

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 12):
All of them, and I mean every one of them, only had talking points with no basis in history, facts, or relevance of what they decried

Gee that sounds familiar ....

They know that giving up 40% of their income so college educated liberals can get a unemployment check and free healthcare is not cool... other than that what else do you need to know!
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

NIKV69

Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:08 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 18):
They know that giving up 40% of their income so college educated liberals can get a unemployment check and free healthcare is not cool... other than that what else do you need to know!

40%? Hell if that all it was I wouldn't complain. Keep going higher.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

seb146

Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:11 pm

members of the Tea Party have higher incomes and are better educated than most Americans.

Elitists! Every last one of them! Don't they know the American people hate elitists? Only educated and higher income people are elitists!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

MoltenRock

Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:16 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 19):
40%? Hell if that all it was I wouldn't complain. Keep going higher.

If you're paying over 40% you're doing something wrong. That or you have Barney Madoff doing your taxes for you.

BMI727

Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:32 pm

nd therefore deserved a $100K job working 35 hours a week, and playing golf on Fridays with a secure retirement package and promotion timeline without having to do much of anything.

They only get that if they have a union job  

The TeaParty People I've all met are disgruntled middle managers who have had their wages cut, benefits cut, and are bitter about having to work harder than they used to or their parents did.

Or they could be legitimately disgruntled about the government using their money to subsidize people who don't work as hard (or at least don't have as much) as they do.

They didn't actually go to a protest to poll people there.

Those who scream the loudest are usually the least intelligent. I don't like the bailouts and all that, but I wouldn't be caught dead with those tea party clowns.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Boeing1970

Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:32 pm

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 21):
If you're paying over 40% you're doing something wrong. That or you have Barney Madoff doing your taxes for you.

Clearly you aren't in the tax bracket that turns an otherwise wealthy person into an average Joe every April15th.

You see, at a certain point, the amount you can write off on your mortgage begins to decline, if you have student loans the interest can no longer be written down, if you have a kid their childcare can't be written down, or if you gave chartitably you can't wirte it off all of that either. Then maybe, just maybe, if you are lucky enough - as most of us are - you get hammered with the AMT.

Yes, we're all just a bunch of gready rich people.  

I'm guessing if you had to pay over $50k in taxes this year while better than 50% of the public either paid nothing or paid nothing and still got money back (still trying to figure this out) then you'd be pretty pissed off too.

MoltenRock

Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:43 pm

Quoting Boeing1970 (Reply 23):
I'm guessing if you had to pay over $50k in taxes this year while better than 50% of the public either paid nothing or paid nothing and still got money back (still trying to figure this out) then you'd be pretty pissed off too.

Well you could always become an expat and get your $91,400 income exclusion for yourself, and another $91,400 for your spouse.

But the 400 richest Americans paid an average of 16.5% for their effective tax rate and yet so many on this board claim the US needs to lower taxes even further.

http://www.quickanded.com/2010/02/ef...-of-the-richest-400-americans.html

DocLightning

Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:56 pm

Quoting Boeing1970 (Reply 9):
so that nealry half our income can be redistributed to others.

Please tell me:

What is the highest tax bracket in the U.S.?

I know the answer, do you?

Quoting Boeing1970 (Reply 23):

Yes, we're all just a bunch of gready rich people.

Nope. Just liars. If you're claiming a 50% tax rate in the United States of America, then you are a liar (or you have a truly incompetent tax preparer).
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Boeing1970

Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:58 pm

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 24):
But the 400 richest Americans paid an average of 16.5% for their effective tax rate and yet so many on this board claim the US needs to lower taxes even further.

There are a lot more of us than the richest 400 sir. I really don't care what they pay. What I do know is that I get hammered every year.

mt99

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:01 pm

Quoting Boeing1970 (Reply 26):
There are a lot more of us than the richest 400 sir. I really don't care what they pay. What I do know is that I get hammered every year.

How much would you like to pay? What %? wondering...
Step into my office, baby

MoltenRock

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:10 pm

Quoting Boeing1970 (Reply 26):
I really don't care what they pay. What I do know is that I get hammered every year.

So why should anyone care what you pay? Or I pay? And yes I do pay taxes to the US government on a portion of my income / investments.

Perhaps instead of getting "hammered" you need to focus on what you are getting for that money and work on reducing your taxes via the myriads of ways there are to lower them.

Boeing1970

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:28 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 25):
Nope. Just liars. If you're claiming a 50% tax rate in the United States of America, then you are a liar (or you have a truly incompetent tax preparer).

I didn't say 50% and you know nothing about my tax bracket.

Quoting mt99 (Reply 27):

Its not about what percent I would be willing to pay. Its about why others (50% of the people out there) are paying 0% and how much they should be paying.

mt99

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:30 pm

Quoting Boeing1970 (Reply 29):

Quoting mt99 (Reply 27):

Its not about what percent I would be willing to pay.

Simple question. What would YOU like to pay? You must have an opinion.

AGM100

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:33 pm

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 28):
Perhaps instead of getting "hammered" you need to focus on what you are getting for that money and work on reducing your taxes via the myriads of ways there are to lower them.

Hey ,, its time to do your part ! It is time to get some skin in the game .. good liberals should never ever take a tax deduction ..ever. It is your patriotic duty to pay for your fellow Americans troubles and mistakes , taking deductions is robbing the poor people from thier money ...they are counting on you man... so stop it.

Only liberals would support raising taxes ..then printing 2700 pages of ways to get out of them .... were doomed.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

Superfly

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:35 pm

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 14):
Yep, few that have jobs and not protesting. The ones participating during weekday rallies are probably on unemployment insurance, social security and disability...as well as section 8.

....and yet they want to government off their back!  

Great to have you back Confuscius!   
Bring back the Concorde

Boeing1970

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:38 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 30):

Everyone would like to pay zero, but that not the issue nor is it realistic - unless your like 50% of the American leach population.

mt99

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:40 pm

Quoting Boeing1970 (Reply 33):

Everyone would like to pay zero, but that not the issue nor is it realisti

So what is a realistic number for you?

Let get a base line going here. .. what would you LIKE to pay? are you afraid to tell us?

TransIsland

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:44 pm

"according to the poll, their incomes and education levels are well above average.

Of the Tea Party supporters who responded, 20 percent make more than $100,000, versus 14 percent for the general pool of people polled. Fourteen percent of Tea Party supporters have a post-graduate education, compared with 10 percent for the general public. Twenty-three percent of Tea Party supporters have a college degree, compared with 15 percent for the general public, according to the poll."

So this describes the minority of TPs, but what does it say about the remaining 77% without college degrees?

I'm afraid that, by itself, this survey says nothing. With only 56.8% of the U.S. population voting in 2008, one may suspect that the percentage of college graduates amongst that 56.8% was highly overrepresented, as they are usually more politically aware and interested. Thus, it is still possible that the 23% of TPs with college degrees still mean that active voters in general may be more educated, or wealthier. Just a thought, cannot be arsed to see if anyone did those stats.
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

Boeing1970

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:46 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 34):
So what is a realistic number for you?

Let get a base line going here. .. what would you LIKE to pay? are you afraid to tell us?

17%. That get you over your childish prodding?

[Edited 2010-04-15 14:48:03]

lowrider

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:47 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 34):
what would you LIKE to pay?

How about 10% gross? No deductions, no exceptions, across the board. You could do your taxes on a post it note.
Proud OOTSK member

Boeing1970

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:49 pm

Quoting lowrider (Reply 37):
How about 10% gross? No deductions, no exceptions, across the board. You could do your taxes on a post it note.

Even better. Of course, the leaches would have to pay up which they won't want to do.

Dump income tax completely and go with a national sales tax at the register.

[Edited 2010-04-15 14:55:04]

mt99

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:50 pm

Quoting Boeing1970 (Reply 38):

Even better. Of course, the leaches would have to pay up which they won't want to do.

So it it 10% or 17%?

Boeing1970

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:51 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 39):
So it it 10% or 17%?

We're done conversing. Just letting you know politely.

[Edited 2010-04-15 14:53:04]

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:53 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 30):

Simple I want something like the "Fair Tax". A tax on what you spend not what you make. Everyone should pay something rather that the top 50% of the wage earners paying 97% of all taxes.

mt99

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:55 pm

Quoting Boeing1970 (Reply 40):
Quoting mt99 (Reply 39):
So it it 10% or 17%?

We're done.

Oh come on.. tell us what you consider to be fair. You obviously have a problem with how "hammered" you get. yet you do know how much you want to pay? what is "not hammered" to you? 10% or 17%? What are you defending?

Boeing1970

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:56 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 41):
Simple I want something like the "Fair Tax". A tax on what you spend not what you make. Everyone should pay something rather that the top 50% of the wage earners paying 97% of all taxes.

For them its fair already. If you make a decent living, then you don't need it so taking more than 30% of it makes it fair.

[Edited 2010-04-15 14:58:40]

mt99

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:59 pm

A tax on what you spend not what you make.

Right. Rich people still spend more.. so the skewness of rich people paying more would probably not be solved..

BMI727

Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:03 pm

Simple I want something like the "Fair Tax".

That is my preferred solution.

Quoting mt99 (Reply 44):
Rich people still spend more.. so the skewness of rich people paying more would probably not be solved..

They don't spend more unless they want to.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:22 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 44):
Right. Rich people still spend more.. so the skewness of rich people paying more would probably not be solved..

I see you don't understand. Its not the rich paying more taxes that is the problem. Its that 45% that don't pay any taxes is the problem.

Boeing1970

Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:27 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 46):
I see you don't understand. Its not the rich paying more taxes that is the problem. Its that 45% that don't pay any taxes is the problem.

My hunch is he's in the 45%. Judging from his badgering on the issue he's of the opinion its somehow up to those of us who pay taxes to justify why we should pay less rather than he justify why he pays nothing.

MoltenRock

Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:30 pm

Ah, the FAUX noise machine talking points have the luddites riled up again I see.

Please tell the rest of the class who these "payers of no taxes" mmmmkay? Please share what income you think these people make to "avoid" taxes...

PPVRA

Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:33 pm

The FairTax proposal would not change that. The prebate scheme included in the proposal would mean some people would get bigger checks from the government every month than what they pay in taxes, which still makes it a progressive tax. It's really just a simplification proposal.