D L X
Topic Author

Gun Rally At Gravelly Point ...

Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:22 am

You heard right. The "Restore the Constitution" group is holding an open carry rally at Gravelly Point, just north of Runway 1/19 at DCA on Monday.

http://restoretheconstitution.wordpress.com/about/
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...h=e76dd282abfb79fa1942190220d03ab5

Your thoughts?

I think it's about the worst place to have such a rally.

Cadet57

RE: Gun Rally At Gravelly Point ...

Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:48 am

Quoting D L X (Thread starter):

Why?
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

NIKV69

Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:01 am

Quoting cadet57 (Reply 1):
Why?

Yea really why? It's a bunch of Americans with guns. Not Al Qaida with RPGs.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

UAL747

Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 2):

In every crowd there is a village idiot, regardless of race or group, and you happen to be next to an airport. By that logic, lets just take away all the metal detectors and let you carry weapons into the airport as well.....

I was reading the blog/comments section of this guys website for this rally, and these people are paranoid. One user suggested about 5 times that they team up with the tea party people today "in case the federal government comes after them."

Fine, bring your guns, as much as I disagree with it, it's your right. I just think it's stupid to bring that many lethal and easy to use weapons to a park in front of an airport.
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

NIKV69

Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:09 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 3):
Fine, bring your guns, as much as I disagree with it, it's your right. I just think it's stupid to bring that many lethal and easy to use weapons to a park in front of an airport.

Yea it's much better for the Black Panthers to park themselves outside voting locations with billy clubs.   

More propaganda designed to paint anyone that disagrees with the current administration as extremists.

Cadet57

Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:10 am

In every crowd there is a village idiot, regardless of race or group, and you happen to be next to an airport. By that logic, lets just take away all the metal detectors and let you carry weapons into the airport as well.....

Oh for gods sake. You're kidding right?

UAL747

Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:18 am

Quoting cadet57 (Reply 5):
Oh for gods sake. You're kidding right?
Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 4):
Yea it's much better for the Black Panthers to park themselves outside voting locations with billy clubs.

More propaganda designed to paint anyone that disagrees with the current administration as extremists.

Dudes, I'm not throwing out propaganda and I'm not trying to paint everyone in the same picture. I simply don't think masses of people who are not police carrying guns around in a charged atmosphere who just met on the internet and don't know each other, who decide to gather at an anti-government rally in front of airplanes full of people taking off is a great idea.

It has nothing to do with my politics. I don't agree with guns, I don't own one, never will. But, if you want one, then go get one. It's your right. But like your parents said when you got your drivers license, with privilege comes responsibility. Unfortunately, there is ALWAYS someone who abuses the privilege or who is not responsible. They may or may not be in this crowd, but by doing this, you do increase the chances that someone gets a little trigger happy for one reason or another.

Again, it has nothing to do with politics with me, I just think bringing your guns out to make a point (of which I don't know what it is, because no one is trying to take away your guns), seems a little crazy to me. Especially given the political climate and the location.
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

D L X
Topic Author

Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:25 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 2):

You're not even slightly worried about 1000 people with loaded rifles 50-100 feet from planes in flight? You're not worried about a wrongdoer with a rifle fading into a crowd?

Dreadnought

Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:28 am

Quoting D L X (Thread starter):
Your thoughts?

Why? it's probably about the safest place in the world during the event.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

UAL747

Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:29 am

To me, having 1000 people with each a gram of cocaine and no weapons at Gravelly Point makes more sense from a safety standpoint than having 1000 people with guns, which are possibly loaded. At least with the coke, the only thing they can do is harm themselves.

Flighty

Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:30 am

Just a joke that proves America is not serious about safety or protecting the public. They have TSA at DCA yet, a person can carry a concealed heavy gun (legally) basically right up to the runway, since it's "sweet virginia," after all.

Cadet57

Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:33 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 7):
You're not even slightly worried about 1000 people with loaded rifles 50-100 feet from planes in flight? You're not worried about a wrongdoer with a rifle fading into a crowd?

Tell ya what. if one goes nuts out of those 1000, the other 999 will take care of it.

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 9):

To me, having 1000 people with each a gram of cocaine and no weapons at Gravelly Point makes more sense from a safety standpoint than having 1000 people with guns, which are possibly loaded. At least with the coke, the only thing they can do is harm themselves.

Translation: "Guns are bad! waaaa"

UAL747

Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 am

Quoting cadet57 (Reply 11):
"Guns are bad! waaaa"

Translation: "Immature."

Cadet57

Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:41 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 12):
Translation: "Immature."

Translation: narrow minded.

NIKV69

Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:46 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 6):
I simply don't think masses of people who are not police carrying guns around in a charged atmosphere who just met on the internet and don't know each other, who decide to gather at an anti-government rally in front of airplanes full of people taking off is a great idea.

Your imagination staggers me. This scenario is complete bunk.

Quoting D L X (Reply 7):

Nope.

UAL747

Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:46 am

Quoting cadet57 (Reply 13):

Translation: narrow minded.

Translation, I've seen what guns can do. A friend of mine shot himself through his head with a loaded gun of his Dad's when we were 8 years old because he was goofing around, and people witnessed it. Yeah, it's personal, and yeah, probably makes me think differently. So, yeah, waaaaah.

Go to your rally of 1000 people goofing around with their guns. Go right ahead.

Cadet57

Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:52 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 15):
A friend of mine shot himself through his head with a loaded gun of his Dad's when we were 8 years old because he was goofing around,

So because one kids idiot father who did not properly secure his gun let his kid die. Not to mention he was screwing around with it in the first place. This makes guns bad? No. It means poor parenting and idiot kids are.

UAL747

Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:59 am

Cadet, just go to your rally you support knowing that UAL747 disapproves and the reasons why. And perhaps have some respect for those reasons even though you think my friend was an idiot and his parents were poor parents.  

N867DA

Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:00 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 14):
Nope

Well if I worked at a parking garage at a federal facility, I would not be worried by a heavily loaded Ryder truck pulling up and parking riiiight underneath the building. Everything about that is legal!

Oh wait...
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

Flighty

Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:02 am

Gun people creep me out. It's a joke because it is almost never okay to use a weapon against people. Also, it's certainly NEVER okay to point your gun at government officials. You can try to defend yourself against the "gubmint," but just remember, the gubmint has F-22s, and laser equipped 747s, and civilians do not. So the civilians are never going to need guns. Rarely if ever.

This is a nice debate to have, but there it's unwise to bring it to Gravelly Point. I hope the government would send snipers to the rally just to enforce typical airfield order. Everyone should keep their guns in cases or holstered, otherwise hopefully DHS will drop them. There is no reason to risk the aircraft.

KPDX

Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:03 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 7):
You're not even slightly worried about 1000 people with loaded rifles 50-100 feet from planes in flight?

From the link you posted:

8 ) Isn’t that many armed people gathered in one place going to be dangerous?
Our plan is to be following local law by having their rifles unloaded and handling them safely. In addition, before the rally, our group will meet with local authorities, shared our peaceful plans, and make sure that folks know both what we are and what we are NOT going to be doing.

Hundreds of police officers muster up before every single patrol-all of them armed. I’ve never heard of that being a problem.

I doubt that you’ll hear of any carjackings, rapes, murders, theft, or vandalism in this park today.

View my aviation videos on Youtube by searching for zildjiandrummr12

fr8mech

Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:14 am

Again, the question is why?

I carry all the time to the airport, I just can't go through security.

Quoting Flighty (Reply 10):
concealed heavy gun

And what exactly do you consider a heavy gun, that is concealable?

Quoting D L X (Reply 7):

Not in the least. I trust legal gun owners.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

D L X
Topic Author

Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:21 am

Quoting cadet57 (Reply 11):
Tell ya what. if one goes nuts out of those 1000, the other 999 will take care of it.

See, I knew one of you would say this silly thing.

Ever heard of a circular firing squad? Well, that's what you just suggested. A guy in the middle of a crowd shoots a gun, and you honestly expect the other guns going off would only hit the shooter?

Naive naive naive.

Quoting KPDX (Reply 20):
[quoting the first article]
Our plan is to be following local law by having their rifles unloaded and handling them safely.

Yes. I think that line was added during the day today. I don't remember it when I read the article this morning.

Also, look at the quote from the other article:

Quote:

Specifically, Almond is inviting attendees to openly carry loaded firearms at the rally in Virginia (where such behavior is legal).

Besides that, how many of you guys actually think the weapons will not be loaded? I bet fewer than 30% of the weapons will be unloaded.

D L X
Topic Author

Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:22 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 21):
I trust legal gun owners.

What makes you think they will all be legal gun owners?

NIKV69

Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:24 am

Quoting N867DA (Reply 18):
Well if I worked at a parking garage at a federal facility, I would not be worried by a heavily loaded Ryder truck pulling up and parking riiiight underneath the building. Everything about that is legal!

So you just compared a terrorist attack on the WTC to a rally at an airport.   

UAL747

Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:26 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 24):

Funny they do it on the anniversary of "said" attack that happened a mile from where I'm laying in bed right now. Symbolic, probably so.

Flighty

Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:27 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 22):
Ever heard of a circular firing squad? Well, that's what you just suggested. A guy in the middle of a crowd shoots a gun, and you honestly expect the other guns going off would only hit the shooter?

Naive naive naive.

Exactly, I was thinking, after that "situation" they will need 1,000 body bags and maybe the DCA fire brigade would have some grim work to do on the field, as well  Wow!

D L X
Topic Author

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:13 am

I think he's talking about the bombing of the Murrah Building by Timothy McVeigh, one of the events that is the reason this rally is being held this day.

D L X
Topic Author

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:14 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 21):
I trust legal gun owners.

Also, did you trust Cho Seung Ho? (The Virginia Tech shooter who legally owned his guns.)

NIKV69

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:21 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 28):
Also, did you trust Cho Seung Ho

What does a person with severe mental issues have with a rally?

D L X
Topic Author

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:29 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 29):
What does a person with severe mental issues have with a rally?

if you followed the thread, you'd know why that comment was relevant.

fr8mech

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:44 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 28):
Also, did you trust Cho Seung Ho? (The Virginia Tech shooter who legally owned his guns.)

He may have owned the weapons legally, but was outside the school regulations, and possibly breaking the law, depending on how it's written, when he went on campus with them. Really, he only proved that gun-free zones aren't. But, to answer your question, as soon as he broke the law or school regulation, I would be wary of him.

There is a difference between legally owning a gun and legally carrying and/or using one.

[Edited 2010-04-15 21:53:50]

sasd209

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:48 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 9):

Really?  

Let's re-visit this issue AFTER the 'rally' and see how many people were NOT killed and how many airliners were NOT shot out of the sky. Is your opinion of people so little (low?) that a group of people cannot control themselves?

What makes you think they will all be legal gun owners?

In that case, I hope the authorities arrest anybody breaking the law and prosecute them, esp. those carrying a firearm illegally!!  bigthumbsup 

[Edited 2010-04-15 21:55:02]

D L X
Topic Author

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:52 am

Quoting sasd209 (Reply 32):
Let's re-visit this issue AFTER the 'rally' and see how many people were NOT killed and how many airliners were NOT shot out of the sky.

Because that proves that it wasn't dangerous?

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 31):
He may have owned the weapons legally, but was outside the school regulations, and possibly breaking the law, depending on how it's written, when he went on campus with them. Really, he only proved that gun-free zones aren't. But, to answer your question, as soon as he broke the law or school regulation, I would be wary of him

That doesn't really make sense does it? You trusted him up until the point that he broke the law? Well, that's the case with absolutely everything, isn't it? Sounds like you place your trust in some people that haven't done anything to earn it, and in some cases, are about to abuse it. Trust means you think that _in the future_ they will act in a way that you want them to act.

So, I'll ask again - why do you trust these guys?

fr8mech

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:54 am

Quoting sasd209 (Reply 32):
Is your opinion of people so little (low?) that a group of people cannot control themselves?

It is a trait if the anti-gun types. They don't trust other people. A generalization, but I think it holds true, even if they don't admit it to themselves.

UAL747

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:55 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 34):
They don't trust other people.

If you trusted other people, you probably wouldn't need to own a gun.

sasd209

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:56 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 33):

And your personal views prove that they are? If they are following all local laws and not creating a disturbance, I fail to see a problem here.

sasd209

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:58 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 35):
If you trusted other people, you probably wouldn't need to own a gun

Same applies to people who own alarm systems, including car alarms, right?

D L X
Topic Author

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:59 am

Quoting sasd209 (Reply 36):

And your personal views prove that they are?

Answer my question. You implied that we should wait and see, and you'd be proven right if there are no shots fired and no plane crashes. My question to you was does that prove that it wasn't dangerous to have a rally there?

My personal views were not part of my question for you. (Based on your earlier post, I'm quite sure you don't know what my personal views are.)

fr8mech

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:00 am

So, I'll ask again - why do you trust these guys?

Because, they haven't done anything to cause me not to trust them. Carrying a gun is not a reason not to trust.

I trust that the person carrying the gun will comply with the law, much like I trust that the guy driving 70 MPH right next to me on the interstate will also comply with the various rules of the road, except the speed limit  

By and large, those that choose to carry, and jump through the hoops necessary to obtain a permit, do not break the law.

UAL747

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:01 am

Quoting sasd209 (Reply 37):

Same applies to people who own alarm systems, including car alarms, right?

I never claimed I trusted everyone. But alarm systems and car alarms aren't known for blowing people's heads off either.

That said, my car is parked in the garage of my building with the top down, albeit, the alarm is on.

sasd209

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:03 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 38):
My question to you was does that prove that it wasn't dangerous to have a rally there?

I believe having a pro-gun rally anywhere is inherently not dangerous, assuming everybody has followed all local laws. If they have not, the rally shall not be held and those engaging in illegal activities should be arrested.

sasd209

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:05 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 40):
I never claimed I trusted everyone. But alarm systems and car alarms aren't known for blowing people's heads off either.

That said, my car is parked in the garage of my building with the top down, albeit, the alarm is on.

Never said you did, read my posts carefully. I was refuting your claim.

[Edited 2010-04-15 22:06:59]

fr8mech

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:06 am

I trust people. I just don't trust criminals. See, by their very actions, they break the law and are unworthy of trust.

Actually, it proves that your fears did not come to fruition, doesn't it? Dangerous? I don't know. I don't hang around the end of runways. To much crap falls off of aircraft when they are dirty.

D L X
Topic Author

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:09 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 43):
Actually, it proves that your fears did not come to fruition, doesn't it?

That's all it proves, and I like I think everyone on this board hope that my fears never come to fruition. But I'm not about to put my head in the sand and hope it doesn't come to fruition. I'm doing something about it.

sasd209

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:16 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 44):
I'm doing something about it.

Such as?

Hopefully not advocating that these people do not have the right to assemble? (I believe your Constitution allows this).
Hopefully not advocating that these people do not have the right of free speech? (Also allowed by your Constitution).
Hopefully not advocating that these people do not have the right to bear arms in accordance with their local laws? ( and Your Constitution, I believe).
Hopefully not advocating that these people , as long as they are following all local laws, should be prohibited from having a gathering no different than the thousands? millions? that your Country has every year?

Hopefully not.. That is among the many reasons I admire your Country.

N867DA

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:17 am

Oklahoma City.

People are trusting until something goes wrong. Then you get people bitching about how people who live in a pre-_______ mentality are just crazy. Crazy!
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

fr8mech

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:23 am

Quoting N867DA (Reply 46):
People are trusting until something goes wrong.

But trust is the very root of the gun control controversy.

I'm not going to participate in another gun control debate here, except to say: the anti-gun folks do not trust and nothing I say, or anyone else for that matter, will change that mindset. I trust the people around me to carry guns. The anti-gun folks don't.

[Edited 2010-04-15 22:28:15]

UAL747

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:27 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 47):
I trust the people around me to carry guns. The anti-gun folks don't.

Truth be told, end of thread!

Edit: Well, I trust you to have one if you keep it at home. No need to go around carrying it like we live in a war zone.

[Edited 2010-04-15 22:28:40]

Flighty

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:43 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 47):
I trust the people around me to carry guns. The anti-gun folks don't.

I don't even trust myself to carry a gun in the car, let alone to conceal and carry. It is very easy to imagine me bungling a fight, where I have no skills; forgetting the gun, because I am forgetful; or just getting super mad and giving people a warning shot, maybe with bad aim. These are just a few reasons I would never carry a gun. And I'm more sober and reasonable than some other people. Which is one way to conclude that many, or most, civilians should not arm themselves. You may disagree but at least the anti-gun position is a consistent point of view.

Quoting sasd209 (Reply 41):
I believe having a pro-gun rally anywhere is inherently not dangerous, assuming everybody has followed all local laws. If they have not, the rally shall not be held and those engaging in illegal activities should be arrested.

Well carrying a gun onboard an airline flight is not dangerous if everyone behaves themselves. The point is that some people are terrorists including some Americans and British.