levent
Topic Author

How Bad Is Florida's Snake Problem?

Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:37 am

Hi guys,

My wife and I are planning to spend the month of September in Florida. While reading up on the state, she came across several references to an ongoing problem related to the spreading of Burmese pythons. These won't keep me from going, but my wife is getting more and more worried as she is terrified of snakes.

So... how bad is the snake problem in Florida really?

FlyPNS1

RE: How Bad Is Florida's Snake Problem?

Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:40 pm

Quoting levent (Thread starter):

They're a problem for the ecosystem (since they're non-native), but little threat to people. Unless you and your wife are planning to hang around in the Everglades, irrigation canals or drainage canals of South Florida, you will be fine.

MoltenRock

Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:46 pm

I guess it depends on if you camping in a tent in the Everglades or a hotel in Miami - Orlando.

Talk to any Florida native and it's the alligators eating their family pets that are of more concern and problems from what I've heard from my own extended family that live down that way.

gatorfan

Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:51 pm

Ever watch snakes on a plane? Well, it's not that bad.

Arrow

Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:18 pm

I'd be more concerned about a few other snake species than those pythons -- cottonmouths, copperheads, rattlesnakes and coral snakes -- all of which are venomous. And don't pet the alligators.

Maybe you should consider Australia?  
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Airstud

Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:49 pm

Your wife is missing out on some of nature's neatest, sleekest and most graceful animal creations. OBVIOUSLY you want to avoid the venomous ones, but if I were you I would send her to a snake-o-phobia treatment center.

Phobias are the worst.
Pancakes are delicious.

DeltaMD90

Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:55 pm

I heard the Florida government is paying people to hunt these snakes. Wonder how snake meat tastes!  
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

TSS

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:21 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 6):
Wonder how snake meat tastes!   

Like chicken.   
The good thing about snake meat is that it's pretty much fillet from one end to the other. The bad part is there are a bunch of little tiny ribs to remove from one end to the other.

Snakes are a fact of life throughout the Southeastern US, and in Florida there are lots of roadside "snake houses" that can help to educate people as to which snakes are dangerous and which snakes aren't, plus you can get a good, up-close look at the snakes in a completely safe manner.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

waterpolodan

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:25 pm

A good friend of mine does field research in the everglades to check on animal population numbers almost every day, so she has plenty of first hand knowledge of the levels of invasive species out there. She's found a couple of molted python skins, but she hasn't actually seen one yet, although some of her coworkers have. In general, it's a problem because they have no natural predators, but they stick to the swamps and I've never heard of one causing any sort of issue for humans. There was an epic struggle on local TV a few years back where a huge python and an even bigger alligator wrestled live on film for several hours, I think it ended up with both of them slithering away in a draw. I'd be more concerned about another invasive species that is a real pain in the arse, the iguanas. If you go to any large open place near the coast here you'll find them, especially places like Fairchild Gardens, and they eat the native lizard species and generally bother people. Another species with no natural predators, other than my car (ran over 2 of them heading to the beach on the key last weekend). Just because it's a cool picture, my friend took this a couple weeks ago while doing field work in the glades-

ajd1992

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:37 pm

Well, if it makes you feel any better I've spent 4 weeks in Florida as well (2x2 week holidays) and I've never seen a snake. Lizards, yes but no snakes. They're harmless either way, they dart around the hotel pool if they're a lot of foliage but otherwise they don't bother you. They're never over a foot long (30cms) either so they're not even scary looking.

Arizona on the other hand...   

casinterest

Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:50 pm

I think your wife is overlooking the most dangerous items in florida.

1. Mosquitos
2. Bad Drivers
3. The 4:00 Happy Hour, early bird special rush.

Alligators and Pythons are no match for 80 year olds on their way to the buffet.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

Fly2HMO

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:48 pm

Quoting ajd1992 (Reply 9):

Blah. In 25 years of living in the Sonoran desert I've seen 10x more snakes in the zoo than in the wild, and I'm pretty outdoorsy...

I will say though, in just one night of critter hunting in my garden a few summers ago, I killed 30+ Black Widow spiders 

IMissPiedmont

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:14 pm

Quoting waterpolodan (Reply 8):

We like our snakes here, just have to avoid the sharp end
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

EA772LR

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:41 pm

Off topic, but have any of you guys seen the 49ft reticulated python in Indonesia? That's 49ft long and weighing 984lbs...  Wow!http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/3846913#3846913
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3845750

I've heard the problem they're having in Florida is people are dumping their pet snakes out into the wild and Florida has the perfect environment for large snakes to thrive.
We often judge others by their actions, but ourselves by our intentions.

levent
Topic Author

Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:41 pm

Thanks for all your replies, guys, much appreciated.

Quoting Arrow (Reply 4):
Maybe you should consider Australia?

Haven't been there yet, would love to go, but for the same reasons as this thread, it would have to be without the Mrs!

Quoting Airstud (Reply 5):
Your wife is missing out on some of nature's neatest, sleekest and most graceful animal creations.

I totally agree. I think snakes are beautiful creatures. Not that I'd want to get too close to some of them, but still.

Quoting casinterest (Reply 10):
2. Bad Drivers

Couldn't be worse that those in Thailand, and managed to dodge them for several years.  

Type-Rated

Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:13 pm

Actually I have heard that Australia has some of the most aggressive snakes in the world.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

photopilot

Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:31 pm

And sometimes...... even the snake wins!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Misc_Photos/Fluffy_the_Cat.jpg

zanl188

Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:34 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 6):
I heard the Florida government is paying people to hunt these snakes.

True the hunters are out, however this winters unusually cold temps have done in enough snakes that the hunters aren't bagging as many as they'd like.

I've lived here in the Southeast US seven years and haven't seen a large snake yet - road kill aside. No worries re: snakes unless you plan on camping in the 'glades or swamps.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

ajd1992

Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:42 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 11):
Blah. In 25 years of living in the Sonoran desert I've seen 10x more snakes in the zoo than in the wild, and I'm pretty outdoorsy...

I drove from Phoenix to Tucson and stopped at a rest stop. There were signs telling you to stay on the tarmac otherwise you ran the risk of getting bitten, and just as we left a huge snake slithered onto the tarmac'ed area. We left pretty sharpish  

Saying that - you live with them so they don't bother you, here we don't have snakes barring as pets so seeing big snakes is a big deal to us.

Type-Rated

Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:04 pm

And the big rule is

"Never put your hand in a place where you can't see where it is going, something may be living in there."
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

flymia

Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:31 pm

Yea unless your planning on spending your time in swamps dont worry. And even in the swamps I would be more worried about the gators.

Quoting levent (Reply 14):
Couldn't be worse that those in Thailand, and managed to dodge them for several years.

You might be surprised how bad they really can be down there.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Superfly

Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:53 pm

Quoting levent (Reply 14):
Quoting casinterest (Reply 10):
2. Bad Drivers

Florida drivers can be bad but Thailand drivers are among the best in the world. BTW, did you see any snakes while you lived there?

Quoting photopilot (Reply 16):
And sometimes...... even the snake wins!

Sick!
Where was that photo taken?

I can't stand these jerks that get these exotic snakes as pets to impress their buddies. All they end up doing is dumping them in to the wild and/or losing them.
Here are some articles coming out of Florida.

http://www.nature.org/wherewework/no...ates/florida/science/art24101.html
Bring back the Concorde

AGM100

Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:54 pm

Quoting ajd1992 (Reply 9):

Yep ... I would bet anyone if they simply started walking though the desert on late summer evening /night and were paying attention they would encounter a rattler or other specie at some point.

We have alot of snakes ... it is not uncommon to see Rattle snakes , Bullsnakes , Black Racers , Coral and King snake's . Love the King snake ... once got to watch one attack a rattler and kill it. Along with the road runner , the King is the natural enemy of the rattle snake and other species. The King is just a bad ass , and not venemous.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

Aeroflot001

Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:52 am

Living in southwest suburban MIA (West Kendall) Ive only had one encounter, well really my dad and it was a garden snake that was easily killed by a shovel. As stated above the risk areas are basically the everglades canals and possibly unpopulated areas outside the everglades.

dxing

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:25 pm

Well we can safely say that Superfly is in California so the chances of.......oh dear, you were talking about real snakes, not the trouser ones!!!! Sorry....continue the discusion.....      
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

FlyDeltaJets87

Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:08 am

My wife and I are planning to spend the month of September in Florida. While reading up on the state, she came across several references to an ongoing problem related to the spreading of Burmese pythons. These won't keep me from going, but my wife is getting more and more worried as she is terrified of snakes.

How bad is Florida's snake problem? Well, my dad jokes that Florida is where he got a lot better at golf because he picked up the game just before joining the Air Force. He then attended tech-school at Tyndall Air Force Base in the Florida panhandle (near Panama City). They were given a warning not to go into the woods looking for golf balls because every type of poisonous snake in North America was found on that golf course (coral snakes, copperheads, rattle-snakes, and water-moccasins). He quickly learned how to hit the ball straight because he couldn't afford to keep losing golf balls in the woods that he couldn't go after.

As others have said, its the venomous ones you have to watch out for in Florida, but in most developed areas, your chances of a run-in are slim. In the five years I've been in Florida, I've seen only one or two snakes (in fact, I've seen more while home in North Carolina where I spend much less time during the year). But you don't have to go far off the beaten path. If your wife has a fear of snakes, stay out of the woods and swamps.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

Fly2HMO

Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:12 am

Quoting ajd1992 (Reply 18):

Saying that - you live with them so they don't bother you,

It's the creepy crawlies like spiders that don't bug me (pun intended). But larger things, like rattlesnakes, will definitely get my attention and respect. But I won't run away from them like squealing like a little girl  
Quoting dxing (Reply 24):

Well we can safely say that Superfly is in California so the chances of.......oh dear, you were talking about real snakes, not the trouser ones!!!! Sorry....continue the discusion.....

And WHY is it that it seems you know a lot about Fly's snake?!?!         

dxing

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:45 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 26):
And WHY is it that it seems you know a lot about Fly's snake?!?!

He's hardly shy about sharing the untold adventures of the snake!!   
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!