AA757MIA
Topic Author

Do You Refill Your Ink/tonner Cartridges?

Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:15 pm

Since the green movement's popularity has been growing during the last few years (yeah I know many here couldn't care less about it) I was wondering if this is something that people and businesses are doing to save money and 'protect the enviroment'. There are several myths about refilled cartridges damaging printers, etc but I've never had a problem. Do you or your company buy recycled ink/tonner for your printers and copiers?

Fly2HMO

RE: Do You Refill Your Ink/tonner Cartridges?

Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:22 pm

I only did it once for my crap Dell printer. Ink lasted longer but it printed horribly. My second HP printer was nicer but it suddenly stopped working after less than a year. I got sick of dealing with ink problems so I ditched inkjets for laser. I have a brother black and white printer and it was the best $60 bucks I ever spent. It's printed over 700 pages, according to the counter, with the toner it came from the factory, and I still have 1/4 of toner left. And seeing that toner cartridges last much longer than ink for roughly the same price I don't see the point in refilling.

bohica

Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:49 am

I had my ink cartridges refilled once. I dropped them off and picked them up in a couple days. That was two days without use of the printer. I picked them up a couple days later and re-installed them. The ink lasted for about a week. Never again. I will go to the store and buy a new cartridge when I run out of ink.

dragon6172

Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:47 pm

Tried it with my Dell printer and it would not recognize the refilled cartridges. Oh well.
Phrogs Phorever

zanl188

Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:53 pm

I use HP toner cartridges and return the spent ones to HP via UPS. Never a problem.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Stealthz

Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:21 pm

I have two freinds who are continually telling me how much they save by refilling cartridges... well not continually, about half the time they are bitching about the lousy quality prints they get!
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

kmh1956

Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:24 pm

Never...my tech friends tell me that refilling cartridges instead of installing new ones will eventually gunk up the printer and cause it to stop working..for good.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

AA757MIA
Topic Author

Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:03 am

It looks like most people agree that they're low quality and can damage the printers. I've never had a problem, but I also don't use recycled cartridges all the time. I like the idea of recycling them though. Oh well...

Type-Rated

Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:32 pm

I think the problem is in the viscosity the ink used in refilling the cartridges. Some brands use a thinner ink than others and trying to use one ink for all just doesn't work. The result is clogged print heads and other printing woes.

Inkjet printers get you in with a low initial price, then you spend lots of bucks keeping the cartridges full. Once opened they can dry out if you don't use them enough, empty quickly if you print a lot.

I have always used a laser printer. I really don't have a need for color. A couple of years ago I bought a HP LaserJet 1020 from Office Depot on offer for just $99.00. The original toner cartridge is STILL in the printer. Just can't beat that!

It seems the people who spend the most on Injet Cartridges are people with teenagers. They are forever printing everything and lots and lots of photos!
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

flanker

Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:39 pm

Never. They cost 7$ I could care less.
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

ha763

Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:46 pm

I have never considered using recycled or refilled ink cartridges for my inkjet printer. I only use specialty paper in it for projects and presentations for work. All other printing is done by my laser printer, which I bought about 5 years ago for less than $100. It still is using the original toner after printer over 2000 pages. The toner cartridge is supposed to last for 3000 pages.

When it comes time to replace the toner cartridge in my laser, I have no reservations about getting a recycled toner cartridge. However, I may just buy a new laser with built-in networking/wi-fi since the prices of those have come down to the $100 range and I have multiple computers that share the laser printer.

OA260

Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:16 pm

I did it once and never again , it ruined my printer and ink leaked everywhere. I bought a Kodak EP7 series and ink is only
€20 for one black and one colour so im sticking to originals.

Revelation

Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:52 pm

Quoting Type-Rated (Reply 8):
I think the problem is in the viscosity the ink used in refilling the cartridges. Some brands use a thinner ink than others and trying to use one ink for all just doesn't work. The result is clogged print heads and other printing woes.

I think that's true. I ran my good old OfficeJet G95 for a decade or so on HP without any problems, but ever since I tried the refilled color cartridges from Staples I haven't been able to get the color to work. Thus now I don't bother with color, given how little I print I just change the settings to black and white and use that.

Quoting Type-Rated (Reply 8):
I have always used a laser printer. I really don't have a need for color. A couple of years ago I bought a HP LaserJet 1020 from Office Depot on offer for just $99.00. The original toner cartridge is STILL in the printer. Just can't beat that!

Yep I should have looked for one when our local OD closed. I got some other really great bargains. I wish I had thought to look for a laser printer.
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!