BMI727
Topic Author

Automotive Pet Peeves

Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:36 am

I thought we could have an interesting thread sharing car stuff that just makes us shake our heads in disgust. Here are mine.

1. This one inspired the thread - bike racks where they shouldn't be. Today I saw a Porsche 911 with two bicycles on its roof. I could understand it on old British sports cars, since you might actually need the bike to get where you're going, but if there is a way to ruin a 911, this is probably it. If you need to take your bikes with you that badly, buy a Volvo like the rest of the losers.

2. Vinyl roofs, sorry 'Fly. These can turn out to be very bad for the car and are mostly a good reminder of why I'm glad to have missed out on the 1970s. For cars from the period it can be forgiven, but modern cars have no business with them. People have thrown out the Betamax, shaved the ridiculous 'staches, and stashed the clothes where their kids can't find and ridicule them. They don't make you look gangster, and pimpin' ain't easy with a rusted out roof.

3. Wal-Mart hub caps. There are tons of ridiculous rims in the world, but at least those clowns are committed to going whole hog into looking stupid and ruining their ride. The people who buy the hubcaps from Wal-Mart aren't even committed to their idiocy, so that puts them on a lower stratum. Besides, there isn't anything that will make that 1992 Corsica look good, so just go park it in front of your trailer next to your washing machine and find something else.

4. Go-faster stripes. Is there any surprise that an iconic pattern from a Shelby Mustang does not work well on a 90s vintage Intrepid? It just isn't cool, and no, that Porsche Engineering sticker probably isn't worth a handjob.

5. Fake vents. These things are an absolute disease in the automotive world. The only question is what is worse: hillbillies getting those stick on pieces of crap from Wal-Mart, or the industry people (who are paid to make good cars) putting them on as stock from the factory.

6. Car manufacturers that build a station wagon, give it some stupid name, and act like they have invented something new and revolutionary.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

will777

RE: Automotive Pet Peeves

Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:57 am

How about when there are little tiny convertibles that have a "back seat"? Who are they trying to kid with those things? There is no possible way you could get people in there.

NIKV69

Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:03 am

The Prius! I hate them! Now I am in Socal and they are all over.   
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

Fly2HMO

Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:13 am

Religious/political car bumper stickers. I can deal with properly funny ones though.

fart can exhausts

wings

Crap Xenon headlight conversions (the type rice rockets always have and do nothing but blind you)

Speaking of... rice rockets.

Lifted trucks that never see mud or dirt.

Lights anywhere that are not headlights/fog lights/tail lights

million spoke gold 13" rims sticking out 1ft laterally from the car

Mid life crisis cars (corvette, Miata, Eos, PT Cruiser convertibles, etc)

Proper sports cars driven by old farts only going to the supermarket and back home.

Hybrids

rednecks that think its cute to have a semi-truck back up horn in their POS Chevy S-10

minivans

spinner rims

Scions

Scion fanboys

and a million other things I cant remember at the moment

bohica

Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:14 am

Gigantic chrome rims with a tiny strip of rubber which resembles a tire. These are the stupidest things ever created. What purpose do they serve other than screaming "Look at me?"

UAL747

Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:22 am

Chevy Caprices painted purple with 25 inch rims, 4 feet off the ground.

That said,

My Mercedes SL500 has fake vents on the side. I mean, they obviously do nothing for the engine, but were put there by the manufacturer for cosmetic reasons?
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

flanker

Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:29 am

Quoting BMI727 (Thread starter):
6. Car manufacturers that build a station wagon, give it some stupid name, and act like they have invented something new and revolutionary.

Please give some examples of this. Would be interesting to see which ones you don't like. I love avants.
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

Fly2HMO

Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:41 am

Oh, I just remembered, I HATE these:

You must have a pretty small, uhm, "sense of self esteem" (damned political correctness   ) if you have a big ass lifted truck to begin with, and this only adds insult to injury.

UAL747

Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:44 am

HAHA FLY2HMO,

but you gotta admit, you do get a chuckle seeing those things flapping in the 65MPH wind!
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

BMI727
Topic Author

Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:46 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 3):
Scions

Those things are supposed to appeal to young people, but as a 19 year old, I find them to be some of the most unappealing cars on the market.

Quoting flanker (Reply 6):
Please give some examples of this. Would be interesting to see which ones you don't like

What is a Crosstour? It looks a lot like a station wagon to me, but perhaps not as useful. And what exactly can a BMW X6 do that a 5 series station wagon couldn't, other than wring more money out of buyers?

Jetsgo

Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:48 am

2x4 Jeeps. Really? What's the point....  

[Edited 2010-04-16 20:49:47]
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

flanker

Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:58 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 9):

What is a Crosstour? It looks a lot like a station wagon to me, but perhaps not as useful. And what exactly can a BMW X6 do that a 5 series station wagon couldn't, other than wring more money out of buyers?

Ahh well i see where you are getting at.

I have a huge love for most European avants, especially from Audi.

B5 RS4   

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

DocLightning

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:21 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 2):

If you own one, they're pretty great. I'm averaging 48.9 MPG since I bought mine. When you have a 40 mile commute to work every day, that's pretty darned good.

My pet peeves:

*Putting thin-profile tires and fancy rims on a 1996 Pontiac Bonneville or other such large 4-door sedan.

*People who add a spoiler to an Acura integra that's so high that you wonder if it can go under bridges. What, you're afraid your Acura is going to go so fast that it'll fly off the road?

*People who feel it necessary to own an H-2/Jeep Commander/etc. in a large city like San Francisco. And then they treat it like a baby and wipe it with a diaper every day.

*Painting a car in matte. Cars should be painted in gloss. Matte is for military machines. It looks like crap and it makes your car look dirty and unfinished.

*Really loud motorcycles. You know, I'm sitting at home reading a book and suddenly I'm levitated out of my seat by a loud roar like the world is ending. Find a less disruptive way to prove your manliness.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Fly2HMO

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:24 am

Those things are supposed to appeal to young people, but as a 19 year old, I find them to be some of the most unappealing cars on the market.

That's because you're not a douchebaggy boy racer, or are you?  

But seriously, all the kids I've seen driving those are begging for an ass whoopin'. They think because they drive a riced-out glorified Toyota they're suddenly the hottest thing since before Britney Spears got herpes.

I must say though, some of the cutest girls I've seen have (unfortunately) been driving Scions.

KevinL1011

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:28 am

3. Wal-Mart hub caps.

Pep Boys as well.

fart can exhausts

Lights anywhere that are not headlights/fog lights/tail lights

And those blue tinted headlamp bulbs.

Quoting bohica (Reply 4):
Gigantic chrome rims with a tiny strip of rubber which resembles a tire.

Oh yes. Ruins the alignment, ride, handling and wheel bearings. They also usually have lug nuts that require a special tool which strips when you try to remove the wheel.

I hate aftermarket alarm systems. Most all cars now days have a built in factory system anyway. Aftermarket alarms are a big nuisance and will prevent the vehicle owner from starting the car more than it will prevent a theft. Your neighbors will be glad if someone steals your car anyway so they don't have to hear the alarm again. The only reaction a car alarm gets is "Jeezus! Somebody turn that thing off !!! ".

My list:
Crap hanging from the rear view mirror.

Boom boxes in the trunk (boot) that eliminate access to the spare tire.

Aftermarket radios that don't have an on/off switch.

Lowered trucks that are no longer useful as a truck.

Lifted trucks whose headlamps are at the eye level of most every passenger car.

Loud exhaust systems that typically do nothing more than make noise giving the appearance of "power".

License plate frames engraved with the make or model the car on them. As if people are too dumb to know. Especially a Corvette.

I could go on forever....
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

flanker

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:28 am

My gf works for Toyota and she cant stand the damn eco box. I cant stand to look at it either, nor will I ever own one.

Now the 2010 A3 TDI's are something I can deal with.   

TheRedBaron

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:34 am

Stupid organic looking dash like the GM Cruze:

http://www.autofans.us/images/Chevrolet/Chevrolet%20Cruze%202.jpg

see the miriad of buttons in weird shapes and the gear lever in the way of the AC, also the non logical aragement ...who makes this POS?

Is it that difficult to make something easier to use and to FEEL when you drive that you dont have to take your eyes off the road to operate?

See:
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

Molykote

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:39 am

1. This one inspired the thread - bike racks where they shouldn't be. Today I saw a Porsche 911 with two bicycles on its roof. I could understand it on old British sports cars, since you might actually need the bike to get where you're going, but if there is a way to ruin a 911, this is probably it. If you need to take your bikes with you that badly, buy a Volvo like the rest of the losers.

Part of the appeal of a 911 has always been that it's a sports car with every day driveability and reliability.

I see nothing wrong with a bike rack mounted on the car. Presumably, it would be removed when not in use for a significant period of time for aesthetic and minor performance reasons.

2. Vinyl roofs,

Ditto. Inferior looks, durability, etc. Terrible idea.

3. Wal-Mart hub caps.

Honestly, if someone has a cheap car or set of winter tires on steel wheels, I see the rationale in a cheap and low key set of "hub caps" (I assume you mean wheel covers as a minor difference exists between the two). Perhaps you were referring to wheel covers with tacky "bling" designs and fake high gloss plastic?

4. Go-faster stripes

I've seen two cars that these looked good on. The Shelby Cobras and Viper Coupes (both in blue with white stripes).

5. Fake vents.

"Drag Inducers"  

I particularly love this triumph of form over function on the anemic 1990s to early 2000s V-6 Mustangs.

Lifted trucks that never see mud or dirt.

Although I have no problem with people spending money in a way that makes them happy (as your example above), I am shocked at how many people are willing to put up with the lumbering awkwardness, fuel economy, handling, etc penalties associated with this type of vehicle. One of my best friends has such a truck as a daily driver.

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 5):
hevy Caprices painted purple with 25 inch rims, 4 feet off the ground.

It looks particularly stupid with the communion sized brake rotor beneath the wheel.

My Mercedes SL500 has fake vents on the side. I mean, they obviously do nothing for the engine, but were put there by the manufacturer for cosmetic reasons?
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/16/automobiles/16VENT.html

I thought we could have an interesting thread sharing car stuff that just makes us shake our heads in disgust. Here are mine.

- Needless spoilers and aero kits with little or no aerodynamic benefit.

- Increasing curb weight of today's vehicles.

- Pretty much every finishing detail on Chrysler products. Cheap/tacky. From hard plastics to fake (chrome tinted platic) plating on wheels.

- Needless, non-functional, and fake carbon fiber bits. On the other hand, the new M3 has a very functional carbon roof while several higher end cars make valid use of the stuff.

- Expensive cars with cheap tires. Though "judging" isn't something most people like to admit to, I can't help checking out the tires on any car that is stopped beside me (geeky I know). Seeing high dollar cars, particularly performance models, with crappy does bring me to assumptions about the driver's ignorance.

Edit: I also need to add large, cheap, "loud" wheels. Most are of inferior strength and much heavier than the factory parts. If someone is doing it purely for looks, that's fine but not my cup of tea. Combine this with the fact that most people who do this mount crappy tires (a pet peeve listed above) and my irritation is compounded.

[Edited 2010-04-16 21:42:43]
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

ual747den

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:44 am

I just got done driving a 2011 Chrysler 300 for two weeks and think that this is a flawless car! That car was amazing, I would never have even thought about buying a Chrysler but now I see one in the future!
/// UNITED AIRLINES

Molykote

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:46 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 12):
*Painting a car in matte. Cars should be painted in gloss. Matte is for military machines. It looks like crap and it makes your car look dirty and unfinished.

If you're talking about cars covered in primer, I agree with you.

Having said that, I saw some matte black cars in the West End of London last August that were beautiful (Audi S5 and some much more exotic machinery). I think this is a factory color option in Europe for several cars. The quality of the finish didn't look cheap or dirty at all when I saw it in the flesh.

Fly2HMO

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:50 am

I sort of agree. Most matte cars I've seen are 80's asian shitboxes. But there's a few tastefully modded European models, specially VW's, that look surprisingly good in a properly done matte finish.

Quoting theredbaron (Reply 16):

That is disgusting. Just as bad as the worse Asian cars   

See:

Ah yes, good 'ole Vdub. That's why I love german cars. Form always follows function, specially in the interior.

KevinL1011

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:53 am

Quoting Molykote (Reply 17):
communion sized brake rotor

Never heard that one before.

Needless, non-functional, and fake carbon fiber bits.

And what about fake hood scoops?

Type-Rated

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:56 am

Cars that have those weird wheels with the spikes sticking out 18" from the center of the wheel. Who do you think you are, a gladiator?

I think wheel design has just creeped out over the past few years. The designs you see on ghetto cars look like they came from another planet. Just give me some nice 1960's styled mags.

There is a place here in Houston where you can RENT your tires and wheels for a weekend. This is so you can convert your car to a chick magnet and have it back to a regular junk for the work week.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Molykote

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:59 am

Quoting kevinl1011 (Reply 21):
communion sized brake rotor

Never heard that one before.

I hadn't either but it just seemed like the only way to properly describe it.  
Needless, non-functional, and fake carbon fiber bits.

Fair point, I guess I incorrectly lumped the "scoops" (i.e. intakes) with "vents":

5. Fake vents.

"Drag Inducers"  

I particularly love this triumph of form over function on the anemic 1990s to early 2000s V-6 Mustangs.

KevinL1011

Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:06 am

Quoting Type-Rated (Reply 22):
I think wheel design has just creeped out over the past few years. The designs you see on ghetto cars look like they came from another planet. Just give me some nice 1960's styled mags.

Especially when someone with a classic car installs aftermarket "bling" wheels that are not period correct.

Quoting Type-Rated (Reply 22):
There is a place here in Houston where you can RENT your tires and wheels for a weekend. This is so you can convert your car to a chick magnet and have it back to a regular junk for the work week.

Good call. That is as stupid as it gets. Imagine the type of person who considers the wheels on their car as a symbol of social status or the type of "chick" that would be attracted to someone because of their wheels.   

DocLightning

Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:37 am

BTW, my fiancee named my Prius "The Solution" after the South Park gag.

He says that "The Solution doesn't run on mere gasoline, it's powered by angels' farts!"
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

BMI727
Topic Author

Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:43 am

Quoting flanker (Reply 11):
I have a huge love for most European avants, especially from Audi.

I would have had a problem if they raised the thing up, added 1000 pounds, given it a trendy name, and declared it a game changer. I am actually a fan of station wagons. They can do everything a minivan or crossover can do more efficiently and with better performance. Seriously, who needs a Chrysler Pacifica when a 300C wagon (really a Magnum I guess) can do everything it can.

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 13):
That's because you're not a douchebaggy boy racer, or are you

Boy racer how? I like performance, and not just in a straight line either. A V8 is not a requirement for me, but RWD is for a car to make my favorites list. The Scion really does nothing for me. It is just an econobox that is pretending to not be an econobox.

My Avalon's dash is laid out kind of like that and I love it because I have very long legs, and it really maximizes the space. Now when I drive my mom's (much larger) Caprice wagon, I feel crunched.

Part of the appeal of a 911 has always been that it's a sports car with every day driveability and reliability

Everyday reliability and driveability sure, but not haul-all-your-crap-everywhere ability.

I see nothing wrong with a bike rack mounted on the car.

Me neither, just not a 911. And don't haul a trailer with your Corvette.

Perhaps you were referring to wheel covers with tacky "bling" designs and fake high gloss plastic?

Those are the ones.

I've seen two cars that these looked good on. The Shelby Cobras and Viper Coupes (both in blue with white stripes).

It's fine on cars that warrant it, especially if it is available from the factory. But when Rice Boy puts them on his Civic I have a problem.

- Increasing curb weight of today's vehicles.

This is a problem too.

I meant to include those as well in the first post.

Quoting kevinl1011 (Reply 24):
Especially when someone with a classic car installs aftermarket "bling" wheels that are not period correct.

I really don't have a problem with restomods if it is done tastefully. I guess it is a matter of taste, but given the choice, I would still rather have a car restored to its original condition over a restomod.

KevinL1011

Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:05 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 26):
I really don't have a problem with restomods if it is done tastefully.

That would be "Restified" as a category at a car show. The problem I have is seeing a restored 69 Camaro (for example) where the owner has gone through the trouble to install the correct original type hose clamps, battery cables and so forth but then puts Momo or Boyd wheels on it. Totally moronic.

Fly2HMO

Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:39 am

Boy racer how?

Well, like the typical retarded Scion brat driver. Revving the engine at every stop light taunting other people and cars.  

My best friend and I made it a hobby of ours to find those seemingly pre-pubescent retards and put them back in their place with my friends GTI. They'd always taunt us at every light and what not. We would ignore them for a few lights, and not bother wasting gas on them at all. But if they still insisted on being retarded after the 3rd light, oh boy, they were major toast. The tCs are slow, and look ridiculous against a drag race with a GTI. We had many kids with their tails between their legs after said races 
It is just an econobox that is pretending to not be an econobox.

Truer words have never been spoken.

BMI727
Topic Author

Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:47 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 28):
Well, like the typical retarded Scion brat driver. Revving the engine at every stop light taunting other people and cars.

That isn't me. I want a fast car because I like it, not because others like it.

Quoting kevinl1011 (Reply 27):
The problem I have is seeing a restored 69 Camaro (for example) where the owner has gone through the trouble to install the correct original type hose clamps, battery cables and so forth but then puts Momo or Boyd wheels on it. Totally moronic.

That does kind of ruin all the hard work under the skin, but at least it can be undone easily.

Kiwirob

Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:01 am

And what exactly can a BMW X6 do that a 5 series station wagon couldn't, other than wring more money out of buyers?

They are intended for completely different buyers, the 5 touring is a family car, the X6 is not, even though I would buy one they are very impressive, no other SUV can match there handling, they wil also out handle many sports sedans as well.

- Needless, non-functional, and fake carbon fiber bits. On the other hand, the new M3 has a very functional carbon roof while several higher end cars make valid use of the stuff.

Which I call BS on because the M3 sedan is the better handling version and doesn't have the carbon roof, I think BMW just added it for braging rights, if it really did make a difference I'm sure they would have added it to the sedan.

Quoting Molykote (Reply 19):
I think this is a factory color option in Europe for several cars.

Name me one car which you think has a matt colour as a factory option, I for the life of me can't think of any.

Molykote

Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:19 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 30):
Name me one car which you think has a matt colour as a factory option, I for the life of me can't think of any.
http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/10/01/bmw-m3-frozen-grey-metallic/

I won't go looking for others since this is "one car" but the others I saw looked factory.

Edit: Took a quick look for others:

Lamborghini
http://blogs.internetautoguide.com/6...raight-from-the-factory/index.html

Mercedes
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4185176&postid=54203812

Which I call BS on because the M3 sedan is the better handling version and doesn't have the carbon roof, I think BMW just added it for braging rights, if it really did make a difference I'm sure they would have added it to the sedan.

There is a reason that a fair number of racers and enthusiasts prefer the sedan (rigidity).

This does not change the fact that for a given configuration (coupe) that 22Kg weight savings at the highest point on the car is a pretty good result for a mild design/production change.

Granted, the new M3 is a bit of a porker. However, this is a pretty good result for a fairly low cost. I'm not trivializing different production methods and assuming that carbon can simply be swapped for steel in all cases but this application seems legitimate. As you can likely appreciate, achieving a light and responsive car requires massive attention to detail at many levels of design. Being able to cut 22Kg (at at such a high position in the vehicle) in one fell swoop is a "win" by any standard.

(22Kg is what I remember being quoted next to a sample of the M3 carbon roof in Munich circa March 2008)

[Edited 2010-04-17 00:26:58]

fxramper

Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:31 am

Crossovers can suck it.   

The Prius! I hate them!

Agreed. Death to them all.

Religious/political car bumper stickers.

They are okay on a truck or clunker, but on a sports car, gimme a break.

Expensive cars with cheap tires.

Quoting UAL747DEN (Reply 18):
Chrysler 300

The wannabe Bentley? Gimme a break...I don't care how well you think it handles.

M3 sedan
Blasphemy!

Superfly

Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:52 am

2. Vinyl roofs, sorry 'Fly. These can turn out to be very bad for the car and are mostly a good reminder of why I'm glad to have missed out on the 1970s. For cars from the period it can be forgiven, but modern cars have no business with them. People have thrown out the Betamax, shaved the ridiculous 'staches, and stashed the clothes where their kids can't find and ridicule them. They don't make you look gangster, and pimpin' ain't easy with a rusted out roof.

I sort of have to agree. Vinyl roofs are good ONLY if they came originally from that manufacture that way. Those of us that take care of our cars and properly store them in the garage overnight don't have the rust issue.
I don't like the aftermarket vinyl roofs.

I agree about the aftermarket hub-caps. They look so cheap. Just keep the original hub-caps.

4. Go-faster stripes. Is there any surprise that an iconic pattern from a Shelby Mustang does not work well on a 90s vintage Intrepid? It just isn't cool, and no, that Porsche Engineering sticker probably isn't worth a handjob.

Those do look cheap.

5. Fake vents. These things are an absolute disease in the automotive world. The only question is what is worse: hillbillies getting those stick on pieces of crap from Wal-Mart, or the industry people (who are paid to make good cars) putting them on as stock from the factory.
The is a styling cue stolen from Buick.

My pet peave is hybrids. Particularly the Toyota Prius.
Bring back the Concorde

asuflyer05

Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:10 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 20):
I sort of agree. Most matte cars I've seen are 80's asian shitboxes. But there's a few tastefully modded European models, specially VW's, that look surprisingly good in a properly done matte finish.
Quoting Molykote (Reply 19):
Having said that, I saw some matte black cars in the West End of London last August that were beautiful (Audi S5 and some much more exotic machinery). I think this is a factory color option in Europe for several cars. The quality of the finish didn't look cheap or dirty at all when I saw it in the flesh.

Lamborghini has a matte paint from the factory. I've seen it once it's interesting. Most people wrap their cars or do a clear matte film racing stripe that is pretty cool. Especially on a black car with a matte black stripe.

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 28):
My best friend and I made it a hobby of ours to find those seemingly pre-pubescent retards and put them back in their place with my friends GTI. They'd always taunt us at every light and what not. We would ignore them for a few lights, and not bother wasting gas on them at all. But if they still insisted on being retarded after the 3rd light, oh boy, they were major toast. The tCs are slow, and look ridiculous against a drag race with a GTI. We had many kids with their tails between their legs after said races

The problem is, street racing makes you look like an even bigger idiot. Especially when you're in jail for killing someone.

ual747den

Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:22 pm

Quoting fxramper (Reply 32):
The wannabe Bentley? Gimme a break...I don't care how well you think it handles.

That was my thought exactly! I could not stand that car because of the Bentley crap but when the rental company gave me that rather than the Camero SS I had expected to get to play with I was surprised! It really is a nice car!
/// UNITED AIRLINES

aerorobnz

Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:35 pm

well if you went into the Alfa Giuletta post you'll know that my pet peeve is excess/unnecessary weight in a car. I dislike any car that is just a point A to point B vehicle and that doesn't focus on the dynamics of how a car drives without having an expressed purpose other than driving on a road (ie:Land Rover Defender/Land Cruiser).. Driving in any conditions except gridlock is amusing and fun.

Interiors should look like this spec
http://www.onkarkular.com/files/gimgs/20_2004-porsche-911-gt3-rs-interior-1920x1440.jpg
http://cdn-www.rsportscars.com/images/renault/2009-renault-megane-renaultsport-r26-r/renaultsport-megane-r26r-interior-seats.jpg (don't mean roll cage just bucket seats and 4 point belt)
http://image.motortrend.com/f/9505636/112_0712_16z+2008_ferrari_430_scuderia+interior.jpg

Other peeves...
I dislike slow people in the fast lane,
I get frustrated by people who drive under the posted limit,
I dislike cars that are just complete fabrications to sell more units off the same chassis like the X6.
I hate people who don't accelerate onto an onramp or overtake and then slow down. This includes people that refuse to keep left and deliberately slow down to act as a moving road block to stop you getting past and people that speed up the moment you try to overtake them so you can't integrate back safely...
I detest speed cameras and this bullshit that people have in their heads about speed being the killer not shit drivers.. Driving to the conditions can mean 50kph one minute and 150kph the next.
I don't like all the nanny state software programed into cars these days...
I don't like how engines are getting smaller and how governments are now playing too much part in car manufacture.

Expensive cars with cheap tires

My personal opinion is any car with cheap tyres.... but I know what you mean - bothers me too... 
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

aero145

Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:43 pm

Quoting flanker (Reply 11):
B5

I so agree with that. Well-maintained B5 limousines or avants with good looking wheels and clean paint are gorgeous!

Cadet57

Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:44 pm

Chevy Caprices painted purple with 25 inch rims, 4 feet off the ground

Every time I see one I die a little inside. This is a proper Caprice:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/Justin82287/ThuMar18195422AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

The Prius! I hate them!

Amen Nick!

Just doing my part to, you know, offset carbon emissions   
!
Quoting bohica (Reply 4):
!

to both

Quoting flanker (Reply 6):
Please give some examples of this.

Honda Crosstour.

People who feel it necessary to own an H-2/Jeep Commander/etc. in a large city like San Francisco. And then they treat it like a baby and wipe it with a diaper every day.

What's wrong with people owning the car they want? But thanks to CAFE they wont be able to have them much longer...

*Really loud motorcycles. You know, I'm sitting at home reading a book and suddenly I'm levitated out of my seat by a loud roar like the world is ending. Find a less disruptive way to prove your manliness.

How about safety?

Quoting flanker (Reply 15):
Now the 2010 A3 TDI's are something I can deal with.

I want one soooo bad.

Honestly, if someone has a cheap car or set of winter tires on steel wheels, I see the rationale in a cheap and low key set of "hub caps"

In the winter i'm putting my locking factory hubcaps on. No sense in making the car look like crap with cheap ones that'll probly get totaled by the first pothole.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 25):
He says that "The Solution doesn't run on mere gasoline, it's powered by angels' farts!"

And if toyota could do it... they would. And convince people it was the greatest thing ever. Oh wait, they do that now.

They are okay on a truck or clunker, but on a sports car, gimme a break.

I was behind an S500 with an Obama/Biden sticker. That is one confused car....
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

Kiwirob

Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:47 pm

Quoting Molykote (Reply 31):
This does not change the fact that for a given configuration (coupe) that 22Kg weight savings at the highest point on the car is a pretty good result for a mild design/production change.

Granted, the new M3 is a bit of a porker. However, this is a pretty good result for a fairly low cost. I'm not trivializing different production methods and assuming that carbon can simply be swapped for steel in all cases but this application seems legitimate. As you can likely appreciate, achieving a light and responsive car requires massive attention to detail at many levels of design. Being able to cut 22Kg (at at such a high position in the vehicle) in one fell swoop is a "win" by any standard.

(22Kg is what I remember being quoted next to a sample of the M3 carbon roof in Munich circa March 2008)

According to the BMW website the sedan is 22lbs heavier than the coupe, the performance stats are identical, the current M3 is an overweight porker of a car anyway, it should not be called an M3 IMO. I truely believe that the only reason why BMW put a carbon roof on the M3 was for marketing reasons, rather like the carbon roof on the M6. Since the sedan is a better car than the coupe even with the tiny bit of extra weight and the performance is identical I don't see any point in the carbon roof.

Blasphemy!

No blasphemy is the M3 Convertible, the sedan really is the best version of the E9X M3's. Now if BMW had made an M3 Touring..........I would buy one if I won lotto, fast wagons are cool as...

My pet automotive hate is all those idiots who buy Suburbans, Expeditions and the like when they have absolutely no use for them, nasty poor handling, stupid cars.

ual747den

Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:25 pm

Quoting cadet57 (Reply 38):
This is a proper Caprice:

Wow that is one ugly car! I think I would rather see it purple with big rims than the wood paneling! That is seriously about as ugly as a car can get!

- Wood paneling on a car!
/// UNITED AIRLINES

Ken777

Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:40 pm

Quoting will777 (Reply 1):
How about when there are little tiny convertibles that have a "back seat"?

My father's TR-3 had a shelf and you could get a "back seat" (miniature) for it.

Mid life crisis cars

Hey, my wife got a red MX-3 for her mid life crisis car back in 1993 and my son is not driving it as his Corolla his having more mx problems. We would have gone for the Miata, but couldn't afford it at the time. i would still buy one if I could get in and out of it without too much of a problem.

Proper sports cars driven by old farts only going to the supermarket and back home.

You need to understand that for many old farts this is the first time in their life that they can afford a sports car. First was marriage and saving for the first house. Then there was the mortgage. Then kids, diapers, braces and college.

Now the kids are grown and have their own families. The wife's mini van is paid for and still running - carrying grandkids these days. College costs are taken care of. The house is paid for. The dog has died and FINALLY that dude can get the type of car HE wants. I've been patiently waiting for a car I love since I was 15 and would ride my bike to the Chevy dealer to look at the '59 Chevy convertible - white with a red interior.

minivans

Anyone with a house full of ankle biters would disagree with you on that one.  

I'm generally pretty easy going when it come to cars. What does piss me off, though, is the driver of a truck or SUV that pulls up so far at a stop that you can't see the traffic on the other side. "Block My View Bob" who should learn to drive before being let out on the streets with people who can actually read.

My other pet peeve? You can't get an affordable car these days with a red interior.

Fly2HMO

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:23 pm

Quoting asuflyer05 (Reply 34):

The problem is, street racing makes you look like an even bigger idiot. Especially when you're in jail for killing someone.

I knew that would bite me in the ass sooner or later. But we did take reasonable precautions. Obviously didn't do it at rush hour, almost always very late at night and/or at nearly empty roads. All the Scion drivers we encountered were more of a threat to society than we were.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 41):

Anyone with a house full of ankle biters would disagree with you on that one

Station wagon owners beg to differ with you as well   For one, my family never bought into the minivan craze. We just never liked them. They're fugly, heavy, cumbersome, terrible handling, and have pretty much every disadvantage a monstrous SUV has. So my mom has always driven around in VW station wagons. While they might "feel" smaller they are just as capable at carrying lots of crap as a minivan. And they handle properly.

Besides, which was the last minivan that was as awesome as this?:

http://www.ausmotive.com/images/Audi-RS6-Avant-17.jpg

Fly2HMO

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:39 pm

By the way, a matte finish I would LOVE to drive in:

http://i36.tinypic.com/25pmmc0.jpg

Ken777

Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:21 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 42):
Station wagon owners beg to differ with you as well

My parents bought a station wagon as well - minivans were years away when they bought their '55 Pontiac wagon. That was one solid SOB and lasted about 6 years before it was traded in. When we lived in PER (in the '70s & '80s) I bought a used Kingswood wagon (a classic Aussie car) and then a new Corolla wagon that was a great little car.

Kiwirob

Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:33 pm

Anyone with a house full of ankle biters would disagree with you on that one.

Nope I know people with minivans, not my style, buy a Volvo V70 instead, it's the ultimate family wagon.

WildcatYXU

Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:02 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 44):
minivans were years away when they bought their '55 Pontiac wagon

I'd bet that it was larger than most minivans nowadays  
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, Saab 340, YAK40

StarAC17

Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:55 pm

Quoting will777 (Reply 1):

It should be now called the hippie death mobile   

People who feel it necessary to own an H-2/Jeep Commander/etc. in a large city like San Francisco. And then they treat it like a baby and wipe it with a diaper every day.

I have heard of people actually washing their cars with Evian spring water because their car was too good for standard tap water.

One thing that annoys me even though it makes a car look better at first is the painted bumper because when you hit something at slow speed (like possibly something in your garage) or are simply driving on the highway various stone impacts from other cars and trucks that happen to everyone makes the bumper look worse.

I would just make the bumper the same colour as the car.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

BMI727
Topic Author

Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:48 pm

Anyone with a house full of ankle biters would disagree with you on that one

Buy a station wagon.

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 47):
I have heard of people actually washing their cars with Evian spring water because their car was too good for standard tap water.

Well, it's their money.

Cadet57

Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:08 pm

Quoting UAL747DEN (Reply 40):
Wow that is one ugly car!

Thanks. Glad you like my car.

Quoting UAL747DEN (Reply 40):
That is seriously about as ugly as a car can get!

Same could be said about 10 year old Mercedes convertibles...
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.