jdwfloyd
Topic Author

Going To Cairns, Any Suggestions?

Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:18 am

A buddy from work and I are going to Cairns from Cleveland on 9/21, returning on the 30th. I have been doing some research and was hoping some of you could give me any ideas or suggestions on where to stay and such. Right now I am leaning towards the Sea Change Beachfront Apartments and will most likely fly Qantas down. As far as the flight goes Virgin Australia and Qantas have been about the same cost. Once down there we really have no plans other than to take a few dive or snorkel trips to reef, and a 4x4 tour.

Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Kent350787

RE: Going To Cairns, Any Suggestions?

Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:32 am

Trinity Beach is beatiful - we stayed in an apartment next to where you'll be last August. It's at least 20mins drive out of Cairns proper and the Airport, but my (family oriented) experience was that this was a good thing   None of the dive boats leave from Trinity beach - you'll need to head North (Port Douglas) or South (Cairns), but there are bus pickups for the majors from Trinity Beach.

Try unico for dinner at least once, it's only half a block along the beach from where you're staying. I assume your 4wd tour is heading through the Daintree to Cape Tribulation (although you can do that trip in a normal sedan too)? The train trip to Kuranda and or Skyway cable car above the rainforest are spectacular too.

Be thankfull that September is outside the deadly jellyfish season, and the crocodiles aren't too much of a problem yet either. But pay attention to warnings for each of them - both are potetially deadly in their own ways.....

Kent

kiwiinoz

Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:34 am

Cairns itself is pretty boring I reckon. It's a gateway to a lot of cool stuff though. Head north an hour and stay somewhere there

TheCommodore

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:32 am

Get out of Cairns as soon as you can, head north to a place called Port Douglas, about an hours drive.Port Douglas is where most of the boats leave for trips out to the reef, you can do day trips or stay out for a few, its up to you. Once in PD, go to Mosman Gorge rainforest, do a rive boat ride on the Daintree river and see some BIG croc's swimming around (don't put you hand in !!). And if you have time a visit to Cooktown is well worth it.

Have fun !
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

fxramper

Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:01 am

Longhornmaniac lives down there right now, hit him up.

Arrow

Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:22 am

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 3):
Get out of Cairns as soon as you can, head north to a place called Port Douglas, about an hours drive.

I'll second that. We spent about 3 weeks in and around Port Douglas and never ran out of things to do and see. Blew a lot of money going out to the reef -- but it was worth every penny. I'd go back in a heartbeat.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Kent350787

Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:41 am

The accomodation the OP mentioned is at Trinity Beach, which is about 1/3 to 1/2 the way between Cairns and Port Douglas. Much lower key than either of those places, and certainly many times more attractive than Cairns itself. No nightlife though (apart from the pub), although 2-3 nice restaurants. Accomodation is a combination of serviced and self-Catering apartments - other nice options are the Meridien (where we stayed) and the Bellevue at the other end of the beach. And it's still small enough that the local supermarket will drive customers and their groceries back to their apartment.....

If you're more looking at 5 star resorts, Palm Cove is the place to go. Mid-range resorts are more Port Douglas.....

jdwfloyd
Topic Author

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:30 pm

So if I were looking for nightlife and also the a good place to catch diving and other tours Port Douglas is the answer?

mt99

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:49 pm

I was in Cairns for a few days, and its backpacker central.

Quoting jdwfloyd (Reply 7):
I were looking for nightlife

What was that bar called? The Woodshed, maybe?
Step into my office, baby

signol

Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:09 pm

If you stay in Cairns, I can recommend a trip on the Cairns - Kuranda Scenic Railway. Combine it with a return by the Skyrail cable car through the rainforest.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

Kent350787

Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:44 pm

So if I were looking for nightlife and also the a good place to catch diving and other tours Port Douglas is the answer?

No, I'd be staying in Cairns proper if I was after nightlife and tours - it's just that it's pretty ugly and touristy and looking out over the mudflats isn't very attractive (there is an artificial beach however).

Port Douglas has lots of resorts and good shopping, but not much nightlife.

StarAC17

Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:05 am

Quoting mt99 (Reply 8):
I were looking for nightlife

What was that bar called? The Woodshed, maybe?

Yes it is and for sure go there, its a lot of fun. If you are a thrill seeker you can possibly win a free bungy jump if you want to partake in a goldfish race (I won one there ). Also they have various events on certain days plus a lot of 2 for 1 drink deals  .

Also some other good nightlife places are PJ O'brien's and the hostels there have some good bars such as Gilligan's and the Nomad's hostel.

Some other cool things in the town are the night markets and the lagoon (the artificial beach) as well as various things to keep you busy.

Quoting kiwiinoz (Reply 2):
Cairns itself is pretty boring I reckon. It's a gateway to a lot of cool stuff though. Head north an hour and stay somewhere there

Mossman Gorge (near Port Douglas) and Cabe Tribulation are worth taking a trip to for a few days and Cairns can get boring after a few nights.

Quoting mt99 (Reply 8):
I was in Cairns for a few days, and its backpacker central.

It is and (Aussies forgive for this) I know from experience being to both places is that it is Australia's version of Queenstown, minus the mountains of course.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

aa61hvy

Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:24 am

Quoting signol (Reply 9):
Cairns - Kuranda Scenic Railway. Combine it with a return by the Skyrail cable car through the rainforest.

I did this and thought it was amazing. We walked all through Kuranda, went through some of the real long trails. Fantastic scenery.

There are some good bars in Cairns, with a lot of hot ladies. Plenty of pubs! I had a great time, went to the reef and everything.
Go big or go home

Springbok747

Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:32 am

Don't go with expensive tour companies.
Go to Paronella Park
Compass is a good tour operator to go to the Reef. They take about $70 per person (in 2008).
Go to the Reef!!
אני תומך בישראל

jdwfloyd
Topic Author

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:18 am

Thanks for all the help, I am thinking of renting a now. I have been finding deals for about $300 for the entire trip.