thomasphoto60
Topic Author

Matt And Trey (South Park), Will They Back Out?

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:13 pm

Well, a radicalized Islamic group is "warning" South Park's creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker and their depiction of Muhammad in last week's show, suggesting what happened to Theo Van Gogh could happen to them.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...tening-south-park-creators/?src=mv

Watching Comedy Central over the last half hour, the South Park spots seem to be avoiding any reference to last week's Muhammad episode as well as the of the second part of the show, which should air tonight. So, if the second part does not air, one would have to wonder if Matt and Trey as well as Comedy Central caved to these.....cough....cough.."warnings".

Thomas

[Edited 2010-04-21 14:15:05]

[Edited 2010-04-21 14:15:59]

[Edited 2010-04-21 14:54:43]
"Show me the Braniffs"

vikkyvik

RE: Matt And Trey (South Park), Will They Back Out?

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:20 pm

Damn, I hope I recorded that episode!

Quoting thomasphoto60 (Thread starter):
Matt And Trey (South Park), Will They Back Out?

Doubtful.

Comedy Central caved

Much more likely.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

flanker

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:23 pm

Not likely, actually they might make more. Its just satire. Every show does this.
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

MaverickM11

Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:25 pm

suggesting what happened to Theo Van Gogh could happen to them.

And then quickly saying out of the other corner of their mouth "but we don't mean to incite any violence"  
E pur si muove -Galileo

CPH-R

Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:25 pm

Keep in mind, Stone & Parker have already screwed with Muhammad once before (Cartoon Wars part I & II), and back then it was Comedy Central who caved.

racko

Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:33 pm

They actually showed Muhammad in the "super best friends" episode and nobody cared.

PacNWjet

Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:45 pm

Quoting racko (Reply 5):
They actually showed Muhammad in the "super best friends" episode and nobody cared.

Right, which in many ways is the basis for the current multi-episode storyline on South Park. The Super Best Friends episode originally aired before the Danish comics controversy occurred. Part of the irony of the current controversy about South Park is that it was only after the situation erupted in Denmark is there a taboo about depicting Muhammad in any way that might be offensive. The writers of South Park are using the current storyline as a way of highlighting the inconsistencies and selective outrage when it comes to depictions of Muhammad.

StarAC17

Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:31 am

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 4):
Keep in mind, Stone & Parker have already screwed with Muhammad once before (Cartoon Wars part I & II), and back then it was Comedy Central who caved.

I thought the whole thing was a joke just mocking censorship and I never took it as serious censorship.

Quoting flanker (Reply 2):
Not likely, actually they might make more. Its just satire. Every show does this.

Argeed, nothing is really going to stop Trey Parker and Matt Stone making fun of whomever they like. Every time the catholics complain about the show they just get them back worse and I would expect them in the near future to mock this organization as well.

If comedy central kicks the show then I bet HBO will pick it up like that and then they will have absolute freedom to do whatever they want plus no commercials.

One good thing about the US compared to other free countries is that they more than any other don't tolerate organization like this one dictating what can be said in the media.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

N776AU

Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:01 am

It could just be a huge cliffhanger anyway (a la the first "Cartman's Dad" episode). They've been known to do it.

[Edited 2010-04-21 19:12:27]
Careful, Doors Are Closing And Will Not Reopen. Please Wait For The Next Train

MoltenRock

Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:18 am

Well, a radicalized Islamic group is "warning" South Park's creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker and their depiction of Muhammad in last week's show, suggesting what happened to Theo Van Gogh could happen to them.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...tening-south-park-creators/?src=mv

Maybe Comedy Central needs to "warn but not threaten" this group that if anything happens to Trey or Matt, that they will show Muhammad in all sorts of tawdry sex acts, eating pork, self-pleasuring himself with pork, etc..... non-stop 24 hours a day for 4 months straight. Then these Muslims can join the Christian whiners about the war on Xmas.

It's 2010 not 910 after all and these people need to get a grip or turn the channel. Whiners.

futurepilot16

Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:05 am

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 9):

Maybe Comedy Central needs to "warn but not threaten" this group that if anything happens to Trey or Matt, that they will show Muhammad in all sorts of tawdry sex acts, eating pork, self-pleasuring himself with pork, etc..... non-stop 24 hours a day for 4 months straight. Then these Muslims can join the Christian whiners about the war on Xmas.

I don't mean to be rude, or incesitive, but this is exactly why Americans see Muslims as violent. South Park makes fun of EVERYONE, and I don't think any other religion or person has ever threatened these guys with violence (correct me if I'm wrong). Obviously, Christian groups take offense, but have they threatened violence? Not that I know of.

But, as usual, it's the same religion that's just a tad too sensitive and threatens violence against anyone who says anything that isn't interpreted as slander about their religion. It's really annoying
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

drgreen757

Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:14 am

God I love this show. Buddha snorts a line of coke and no one cares....then they never actually show Muhammad and some radical group gets their panties in a bunch....love it!
Save the grey ghosts.

deltaownsall

Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:39 am

So, apparently this episode is supposed to have aired by now? I'm holed up in the library and just found out about all of this nonsense, did anyone see it? This frenzy of PC idiocy needs to come to an end, and at least there are a couple guys willing to give it a try.

elbandgeek

Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:11 am

In addition to the large, obnoxious *CENSORED* bar when Mohammad was "on screen" they bleeped out every single utterance of his name along with the entire "I learned something today..." speech at the end which was split up between Kyle, Santa, and Jesus. It was one of the funniest things they've ever done, especially in context of the episodes it called back to....and of course, I've already heard more people who completely missed the joke complaining about how they "chickened out" and "shouldn't let the extremists win"

For a show that got it's start with raunchy toilet humor, I think it has officially become too smart for the majority of people who watch it.

NIKV69

Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:46 am

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 9):

It's 2010 not 910 after all and these people need to get a grip or turn the channel. Whiners.

You really don't get it do you? This has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever seen. Is any show worth your life? You realize these guys lives will be in jeapordy now. I am all for free speech but you need to use your head once in a while. Muslims (even the ones who don't hate America) take their religion very very seriously. Why ridicule it? Because you can? Free speech? These two guys are morons. I hope they know how to grow eyes in the back of their heads. They will sure need it.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

kappel

Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:51 am

Quoting N776AU (Reply 8):
It could just be a huge cliffhanger anyway (a la the first "Cartman's Dad" episode). They've been known to do it.

That's what I think. I would not be surprised at all if the new episode is completely different.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 3):
And then quickly saying out of the other corner of their mouth "but we don't mean to incite any violence"

Well, seeing as a radical group made the threat, I really don't think that's what they will be saying.
L1011,733,734,73G,738,743,744,752,763,772,77W,DC855,DC863,DC930,DC950,MD11,MD88,306,319,320,321,343,346,ARJ85,CR7,E195

FlyingColours

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:01 am

Quoting elbandgeek (Reply 13):
In addition to the large, obnoxious *CENSORED* bar when Mohammad was "on screen" they bleeped out every single utterance of his name along with the entire "I learned something today..." speech at the end which was split up between Kyle, Santa, and Jesus. It was one of the funniest things they've ever done, especially in context of the episodes it called back to....and of course, I've already heard more people who completely missed the joke complaining about how they "chickened out" and "shouldn't let the extremists win"

While the visual censorship was clearly a running joke going back to Cartoon Wars the audio bleeping of the name was apparently done by Comedy Central. As for the very long bits at the end of the "I learned something today" speeches I think these were done by SPS themselves to poke a bit more fun at censorship.

As for my opinion on south park, when I started watching this season I thought that it had jumped the shark, or maybe not so much jump the shark as to jumping up and down on it shouting "look at me I'm Mr jumpy sharkey". But then I watched a few more episodes and my faith has been restored, as long as they continue with their current formula I can't see Matt & Trey giving up for quite some time.

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

Fabo

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:02 am

Quoting elbandgeek (Reply 13):
For a show that got it's start with raunchy toilet humor, I think it has officially become too smart for the majority of people who watch it.

Good point. I was pleasantly surprised after watching some of the show lately, after several years.
The light at the end of tunnel turn out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT

N328KF

Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:48 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 14):
You really don't get it do you? This has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever seen. Is any show worth your life? You realize these guys lives will be in jeapordy now.

People give their lives every day for the right to speak freely, and you are trying to trivialize it? Change your flag, sir!
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

MoltenRock

Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:31 pm

You really don't get it do you? This has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever seen. Is any show worth your life? You realize these guys lives will be in jeapordy now. I am all for free speech but you need to use your head once in a while. Muslims (even the ones who don't hate America) take their religion very very seriously. Why ridicule it? Because you can? Free speech? These two guys are morons. I hope they know how to grow eyes in the back of their heads. They will sure need it.

It's called standing up for what you believe in. Change your post slightly and it could apply to gay people needing to just keep their orientation quiet. Or could apply to those against the Iraq war in America when it was "patriotic" to support invading Iraq. It could apply to 1/2 dozen other things too.

People stand up for themselves and what they believe in every day under risk of humiliation, loss of job, physical violence, etc... Southpark has made fun of everyone and specifically Christians, Scientologists, Mormons, Catholics, Buddhists, and the lot. A ridiculous, pedantic religion dictating someone cannot make fun of it can go stuff itself be they Muslims, Christians, or Mormons. It's America after all. It's what people have fought and died for. It's insulting that some jackholes can threaten people into compliance and silence because their stale, insipid, book of tall tales from 2,000 years ago said it should be.

They have a right to believe in whatever silliness they want, but not imposing their beliefs onto someone else, thus curtailing their rights. Do we take native religions seriously about photographs stealing these people's souls? No, of course not. If people don't like it, change the channel.

PPVRA

Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:45 pm

Well I'm sure the Catholic Church should provide them with plenty of material. . . they are nuts, but haven't been violently-nuts for quite some time (though they have tried to "subcontract" the dirty job to supposedly secular governments).
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

Newark777

Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:36 pm

That's a pretty scary attitude. Why don't we all just lay down and die when threatened, wouldn't life just be so much easier?
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

NIKV69

Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:17 pm

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 19):
It's called standing up for what you believe in. Change your post slightly and it could apply to gay people needing to just keep their orientation quiet. Or could apply to those against the Iraq war in America when it was "patriotic" to support invading Iraq. It could apply to 1/2 dozen other things too.

You are seriously going to compare making fun of someone's religion when you all well aware how fanactical they are about it? Also know people have died in the past doing the same thing? Your going to compare this to gays and the Iraq war? Not even close.

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 19):
People stand up for themselves and what they believe in every day under risk of humiliation, loss of job, physical violence, etc... Southpark has made fun of everyone and specifically Christians, Scientologists, Mormons, Catholics, Buddhists, and the lot. A ridiculous, pedantic religion dictating someone cannot make fun of it can go stuff itself be they Muslims, Christians, or Mormons. It's America after all. It's what people have fought and died for. It's insulting that some jackholes can threaten people into compliance and silence because their stale, insipid, book of tall tales from 2,000 years ago said it should be.

So since it's America and you have free speech you feel the need to put your life in danger? To stand up against Muslims when they get insulted? People have fought and died for our rights to believe and speak our minds. Yet with this right comes respect and good judgement. I have the right to walk down the street and say anything I want, make big signs, hell make a TV show but certain situations I wouldn't do it because I have some respect for people's feelings and strong religious beliefs. Stop thinking free speech is a ticket to do anything you want, it could get you killed. Which we will probably see here.

Quoting newark777 (Reply 21):
That's a pretty scary attitude. Why don't we all just lay down and die when threatened, wouldn't life just be so much easier?

Who is threatening us? If radical Islam is sure I am all for fighting it but this is an uncessary dig against all of Islam. Some things you should show respect and this is sure one of them.

Newark777

Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:30 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 22):
Stop thinking free speech is a ticket to do anything you want, it could get you killed.

You are confusing the fact that just because you feel uncomfortable offending people, other people don't. Free speech is a ticket to SAY anything I want, and anyone threatening violence in response to free speech is, yes, a threat.

NIKV69

Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:41 pm

Quoting newark777 (Reply 23):
and anyone threatening violence in response to free speech is, yes, a threat.

You forgot to include an uneccessary threat. You should be able to live free and not get attacked by racical Islam. Yet there is no need to insult them and incite a threat because you had to put one of their most important religious figures on southpark. It's totally assinine.

Newark777

Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:55 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 24):
Yet there is no need to insult them and incite a threat because you had to put one of their most important religious figures on southpark. It's totally assinine.

That's the beauty of free speech, you don't require a need to say something.

elbandgeek

Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:18 pm

Quoting FlyingColours (Reply 16):
While the visual censorship was clearly a running joke going back to Cartoon Wars the audio bleeping of the name was apparently done by Comedy Central. As for the very long bits at the end of the "I learned something today" speeches I think these were done by SPS themselves to poke a bit more fun at censorship.

It's always been the joke back to the "Cartoon Wars" episodes that inspired the storyline. I don't know if comedy central actually wanted them to censor it or what, but they've always played the "oh sorry, can't show you that....network is run by wimps" angle and it worked with the story regardless of being true or not, and the fact we may never know the truth just adds to the joke. They know how to make the best of the situation. This time, censoring the image was an obvious necessity, but I can't imagine the bleeping everytime they said his name was, and was done in their usual spirit of taking things so far over the line, especially since within the context of the episode, mohammad ended up being little more than a plot coupon to drive the rest of the story. and the fact that Cartman pointed out he wasn't important since people really cared about his father (although it *is* Cartman). The ending was just the punchline.

NIKV69

Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:52 pm

Quoting newark777 (Reply 25):
That's the beauty of free speech, you don't require a need to say something.

Fine then don't complain after your direct attempt to insult someones religion puts your life in danger. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Springbok747

Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:02 pm

They make fun of EVERY religion...there was even a coke-snorting Buddha! I don't see the Buddhists going nuts. What is it with Muslims? What makes their God/Prophet so different? Its just a stupid cartoon anyway..who the hell cares?! Jeez some Muslims need to lighten up.
אני תומך בישראל

DocLightning

Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:06 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 27):
Fine then don't complain after your direct attempt to insult someones religion puts your life in danger. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Every right to complain. Freedom of speech is a right. Freedom to murder is not. I don't know what the solution to this is other than finding that group and dealing with them appropriately.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

L410Turbolet

Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:10 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 27):
You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Exactly, you can't advocate freedom of expression and (self-)censorship at the same time.

[Edited 2010-04-22 13:14:35]

NIKV69

Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:14 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 28):
They make fun of EVERY religion...there was even a coke-snorting Buddha! I don't see the Buddhists going nuts. What is it with Muslims? What makes their God/Prophet so different? Its just a stupid cartoon anyway..who the hell cares?! Jeez some Muslims need to lighten up.

It's a touchy subject and just because it's your right to be able to mock whoever you want doesn't mean the people you are demeaning have to take it.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 29):
Every right to complain. Freedom of speech is a right. Freedom to murder is not. I don't know what the solution to this is other than finding that group and dealing with them appropriately.

Sure it is but this was foolish and careless and these guys should use some better judgement. Sure if you want to use free speech as a way to mock something that basically the whole middle east hold sacred go ahead but don't for a second think your not going to get retaliation. You will. These two morons have basically changed their lives forever and have put countless others at Comedy Central at risk. All because they wanted to make an episode like this. It's a joke and it's not free speech. It's a direct attempt to humiliate a huge bunch of people we are trying to get along with at a crucial time. These two should be happy. They effed up big time. I have no sympthy for them at all.

Yellowstone

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:04 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 31):
just because it's your right to be able to mock whoever you want doesn't mean the people you are demeaning have to take it.

Yes, actually, it does. And if the people being "demeaned" react violently, they'll be taken to court like any other criminal.

It's a joke and it's not free speech.

Of course it's free speech! They're not calling anyone to criminal activity, and they're not revealing state secrets. They're making a social statement through humor - that's exactly free speech.

It's a direct attempt to humiliate a huge bunch of people we are trying to get along with at a crucial time.

The Muslims who would get offended to the point of violence by nothing more than a drawing of Muhammad are not the sort of Muslims we're trying to get along with. If you don't have the capacity to shrug off a joke, you need to go and grow up a bit before you can play with the big boys on the geopolitical stage.

These two morons have basically changed their lives forever

Believe it or not, many people find it virtuous to put yourself at risk to defend a deeply held belief.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

NIKV69

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:34 pm

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 32):
Believe it or not, many people find it virtuous to put yourself at risk to defend a deeply held belief.

You find it virtuous to put your life in danger over an episode of south park? Well more power to them. They are the ones who will live the rest of their lives in fear. Not me.

MoltenRock

Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:50 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 33):
You find it virtuous to put your life in danger over an episode of south park? Well more power to them. They are the ones who will live the rest of their lives in fear. Not me.

*Meh* So what? Salman Rushdie is still walking upright isn't he? I think you, like many Americans, are ascribing way too much power and insane devotion to Muslims. Most Muslims can laugh at themselves every bit as much as Christians can. Your attitude reminds me of those who deathly afraid of the Soviet Union, and bought into the government hype that the Soviets could actually show up on your (Sarah Palin's) doorstep any day. Every movie that I've watched from the 1980s had those evil Soviets blowing up / killing America, which turned up to be a complete hoax of their abilities.

PacNWjet

Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:59 pm

It's a direct attempt to humiliate a huge bunch of people we are trying to get along with at a crucial time.

So getting along with a bunch of people entails allowing them to dictate what you say and do? That doesn't sound like getting along; that sounds like giving in.

san747

Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:22 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 33):
They are the ones who will live the rest of their lives in fear. Not me.

No, since you're deathly afraid of retaliation and possible harm to yourself and others over this, you are actually the one living in fear.

To show you what I mean, I will write the word Mohammad right now in this sentence. It's out there. In public. It can never be taken back, and even my name on my profile isn't hidden. I could be putting myself in peril by doing so because this is apparently what offends extreme Muslims. Despite this fact, I do not fear for my safety one bit.

But you would have me not even use the word or mention Mohammad because we don't want to offend the radical Muslims lest they retaliate in violent fashion. That's called living in fear, and you're not more noble than the rest of us because you do so.
Scotty doesn't know...

StarAC17

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:26 am

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 20):

Well I'm sure the Catholic Church should provide them with plenty of material. . . they are nuts, but haven't been violently-nuts for quite some time (though they have tried to "subcontract" the dirty job to supposedly secular governments).

"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

They have attacked the Catholics and Christians in many episodes as well as the Jews, Scientologists and even the athiests. What is great about this show is that when a guy like Bill Donohue speaks out about South park Parker and Stone let em have it and fight back.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

thegreatRDU

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:45 am

The episodes were not funny and it was stupid of them....why would they even tread those waters...ok it's satire we get it...but c'mon...
Our Returning Champion

NIKV69

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:59 am

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 34):
*Meh* So what? Salman Rushdie is still walking upright isn't he

Yea well he has to live under protection and was under police protection for years after. Not to mention had two failed attempts on his life. Not exactly a picnic. Also I see you failed to mention Theo van Gogh, he was killed for doing this very thing. So I would put Matt and Trey's chances at 50-50. Not exactly good odds huh?

Your attitude reminds me of those who deathly afraid of the Soviet Union, and bought into the government hype that the Soviets could actually show up on your (Sarah Palin's) doorstep any day

What does Sarah Palin have to do with this? You really have to do something about your hatred for her. Professional help maybe?

Every movie that I've watched from the 1980s had those evil Soviets blowing up / killing America, which turned up to be a complete hoax of their abilities.

Also something that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.   

Quoting san747 (Reply 36):
No, since you're deathly afraid of retaliation and possible harm to yourself and others over this, you are actually the one living in fear.

LOLOL. ahhhh No. I am not the one who was stupid enough to insult Islam like Rushdie and Van Gogh did. One lives in fear and another one is pushing up daises which is something very likely for the southpark crew. Me, I have nothing to worry about. Matt and Trey? Well I hope they liked the way their life was before this episode ran. It's a whole different ball game and the stakes are the highest you can get. I wish them luck.

To show you what I mean, I will write the word Mohammad right now in this sentence. It's out there. In public. It can never be taken back, and even my name on my profile isn't hidden. I could be putting myself in peril by doing so because this is apparently what offends extreme Muslims. Despite this fact, I do not fear for my safety one bit.

Give yourself a gold star but your example makes no sense.

That's called living in fear, and you're not more noble than the rest of us because you do so.

Has nothing to do with nobility, that is what your missing.

UAL747

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:24 am

So the latest from South Park Studios is that comedy central ran the 2nd part of the show with much of it bleeped out and Muhammed was never shown. Now, Comedy Central will not allow South Park Studios to stream the original or Comedy Central edited episode on SouthParkStudios.com. They have to come up with an edited episode of the "edited" episode so they can stream it.

My digital guide on cable had the episode 201 slated to air tonight as well at 9:30PM, however, it was episode 200 instead. Obviously Comedy Central made the switch.

This is absolute crap IMHO.

[Edited 2010-04-22 21:26:14]
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Yellowstone

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:12 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 39):
So I would put Matt and Trey's chances at 50-50. Not exactly good odds huh?

Two problems with that... First of all, Theo van Gogh and Salman Rushdie were critical of Islam. The South Park creators clearly are not, at least not in their cartoon. Second, there are plenty more critics of Islam who haven't had attempts on their lives - you can't limit your sample size to only the most visible critics, especially when they're so visible precisely because they were the ones who drew a violent response.

Also something that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

No, it's relevant. Our fear of the Soviets as an evil empire bent on world domination was largely unfounded - the threat was much less than we were led to believe. It's the same thing with Islamic radicals. The threat, while real, is not nearly as big as people would make it out to be.

No. I am not the one who was stupid enough to insult Islam like Rushdie and Van Gogh did.

Yeah, and Martin Luther King was stupid enough to insult the white power elite of the southern United States.  
Give yourself a gold star but your example makes no sense.

Better example - I declare that this smiley face   is a representation of the Prophet Muhammad. Watch how absolutely nothing's going to happen.

Actually, better Muhammad smiley: @ : { | >
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

NIKV69

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:30 am

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 41):
Yeah, and Martin Luther King was stupid enough to insult the white power elite of the southern United States

What does that have to do with insulting someone's religion for no reason?

Two problems with that... First of all, Theo van Gogh and Salman Rushdie were critical of Islam. The South Park creators clearly are not, at least not in their cartoon.

That is great but Muslims don't view it that way, to them any mocking is a huge insult but then again to hell with them you want to use your free speech to prove you can do it! Scary.

The threat, while real, is not nearly as big as people would make it out to be.

Yea just ask van gogh!

Maverick623

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:52 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 42):

Again, you miss the point. If you knew anything about Matt and Trey, you would know that satire is their game. They were going after the very radicals you are deathly afraid of, because they think it's ridiculous that someone should be afraid of drawing a picture.

If you don't like it, don't look at it. It's not like Muslims are forced to watch Comedy Central.

And then what about my rights? I'm deeply insulted that my belief that nothing is so sacred it cannot be shown is continually being violated by Muslim extremists.

Scary.

Suit yourself.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Doona

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:08 am

Am I the only one who thinks this whole thing says a whole lot more about Comedy Central censors than any religion, or the makers of Southpark? Think about it. Censoring images and mention of Mohammed out of respect for a religion, while at the same time repeatedly allowing images of Buddha doing lines of coke. Obviously, the censors don't give a damn about being courteous and respectful of people with faith, they're just afraid of one (and only one, it seems). And even though some Muslims will make more noise about it, it's still incredibly hypocritical.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

jpetekyxmd80

RE: Matt And Trey (South Park), Will They Back Out

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:52 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 43):
Again, you miss the point. If you knew anything about Matt and Trey, you would know that satire is their game. They were going after the very radicals you are deathly afraid of, because they think it's ridiculous that someone should be afraid of drawing a picture.

If you don't like it, don't look at it. It's not like Muslims are forced to watch Comedy Central.

And then what about my rights? I'm deeply insulted that my belief that nothing is so sacred it cannot be shown is continually being violated by Muslim extremists.

Right on. I could not possibly disagree more with NIKV. His wanting us to roll over and cater to the whims of Muslim extremists over our freedom of speech and expression makes me want to vomit. It's a treasonous and cowardly perspective, maybe I should check with Mecca to make sure I can post this, Nick.

At least some people in this world still have balls. Thanks Matt and Trey.

[Edited 2010-04-23 01:58:14]
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

L410Turbolet

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:47 am

Quoting jpetekyxmd80 (Reply 45):
Right on. I could not possibly disagree more with NIKV.His wanting us to roll over and cater to the whims of Muslim extremists over our freedom of speech and expression makes me want to vomit. It's a treasonous and cowardly perspective, maybe I should check with Mecca to make sure I can post this, Nick.
Dhimmitude is a neologism first found in French denoting an attitude of concession, surrender and appeasement towards Islamic demands. It is derived by adding the productive suffix -tude to the Arabic language adjective dhimmi, which literally means protected and refers to a non-Muslim subject of a sharia law state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhimmitude

I am not the one who was stupid enough to insult Islam like Rushdie and Van Gogh did.

I could not possibly disagree with you more.
Basically what you are saying is that people like Jan Hus or Giordano Bruno must have been no less "stupid" for standing up to the Catholic chruch and their medieval demagoguery. Retrospectvely I am extremely grateful they had the courage because otherwise we would not be living in secular society governed primarily by reason.
May I suggest an excellent and very eye-opening read on this topic?
http://www.amazon.com/Infidel-Ayaan-.../dp/0743289692/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

I think the flaw in the reasoning is that your fear lets the unreasonable extremists dictate whether there is a reson or not.

Maverick623

Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:14 am

Quoting Doona (Reply 44):
Am I the only one who thinks this whole thing says a whole lot more about Comedy Central censors than any religion, or the makers of Southpark? Think about it. Censoring images and mention of Mohammed out of respect for a religion, while at the same time repeatedly allowing images of Buddha doing lines of coke. Obviously, the censors don't give a damn about being courteous and respectful of people with faith, they're just afraid of one

Eh, I think you missed the point. The censor bars and bleeping out of Mohammed's name was basically a big f*** you to the "outraged".

Quoting jpetekyxmd80 (Reply 45):
His wanting us to roll over and cater to the whims of Muslim extremists over our freedom of speech and expression makes me want to vomit.

You have also missed the point of NIKs postings.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

JoeCanuck

Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:30 pm

I think Comedy Central should publish the names, pictures and addresses of Revolution Muslim members with pictures of downtown Bagdad...not as a threat, of course...but as information to what sometimes happens in this crazy world. Let's see how well they appreciate free speech when it, and American extremists, are pointed in their direction.
What the...?

Yellowstone

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:57 pm

Yea just ask van gogh!

That's like saying "You should never drive in a car, it's so dangerous - just ask Princess Diana!" Pointing out the one guy who was killed doesn't prove anything about how likely it is for any other person to be killed.

That is great but Muslims don't view it that way,

A relative handful of Muslims don't view it that way, and most of them don't live in the west.