TheCommodore
Topic Author

Burning Oil Rig Sinks, Sparking Fears Of Big Spill

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:37 am

Yet another disaster for the environment and perhaps severe consequences for the coast of the US.

At this stage the death toll is unclear, as 11 others are still missing although they are presumed dead.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news...fm?c_id=2&objectid=10640350&pnum=3
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

DocLightning

RE: Burning Oil Rig Sinks, Sparking Fears Of Big Spill

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:55 am

But off-shore drilling is a GREAT idea! It's so safe and has no environmental effect!
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

flanker

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:02 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 1):
But off-shore drilling is a GREAT idea! It's so safe and has no environmental effect!

Yes it is a great idea. Boohoo the environment. 11 people died..
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

MadameConcorde

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:34 am

I have been following this oil spill.
This is some of what I have found on the internet. They say the oil rig is sinking which is not good news.

Fears are growing of a serious environmental disaster emerging in the Gulf of Mexico as a direct result from the stricken oil platform which sunk Thursday. In an afternoon briefing, a Coast Guard officer said an oil slick one mile by five miles large has appeared on the ocean's surface.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...ulf_of_mexico_oil_rig_sinking.html

RIP 11 oil rig victims.  
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

DfwRevolution

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:36 pm

And I suppose you are ignorant to the fact that oil naturally leaks from the ocean floor in quantities that far exceed man-made spills? The explorer Cabeza de Vaca used the washed-up tar on the beaches of Galveston Island to patch-up his rafts in 1528. Our industry goes to great lengths to protect the environment, but sometimes you should see the forrest for the trees. Off-shore drilling is hazardous work, I've never seen anyone downplay the risks. The people working those rigs are more conscious of the need for safety than anyone.

Now that you are done criticizing the evil oil industry, go back to using the gasoline, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, chemicals, and plastics that come from petroleum.

DocLightning

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:35 pm

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 4):

And I suppose you are ignorant to the fact that oil naturally leaks from the ocean floor in quantities that far exceed man-made spills?

Funny, I've never seen as many naturally-occurring oil slicks as there is here.

In fact, I've tried to verify what you've said and I'm unable to.

Now that you are done criticizing the evil oil industry, go back to using the gasoline, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, chemicals, and plastics that come from petroleum.

Don't have much choice, do I? Hopefully I will have a choice soon.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

DfwRevolution

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:00 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 5):
Funny, I've never seen as many naturally-occurring oil slicks as there is here. In fact, I've tried to verify what you've said and I'm unable to.
http://www.livescience.com/environment/090520-natural-oil-seeps.html

There is effectively an oil spill every day at Coal Oil Point (COP), the natural seeps off Santa Barbara where 20 to 25 tons of oil have leaked from the seafloor each day for the last several hundred thousand years. The oil from natural seeps and from man-made spills are both formed from the decay of buried fossil remains that are transformed over millions of years through exposure to heat and pressure.

http://seawifs.gsfc.nasa.gov/OCEAN_P...ANET/HTML/peril_oil_pollution.html

Natural Seeps: 62 Million Gallons - Some ocean oil "pollution" is natural. Seepage from the ocean bottom and eroding sedimentary rocks releases oil.

Big Spills: 37 Million Gallons - Only about 5 percent of oil pollution in oceans is due to major tanker accidents, but one big spill can disrupt sea and shore life for miles

Offshore Drilling: 15 Million Gallons - Offshore oil production can cause ocean oil pollution, from spills and operational discharges

The text on this site is presented as an archival version of the script of "Ocean Planet," a 1995 Smithsonian Institution traveling exhibition. The content reflects the state of knowledge at the time of the exhibition, and has not been updated.

http://oils.gpa.unep.org/facts/natural-sources.htm

As pointed out by the National Research Council (NRC) of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences, "natural oil seeps contribute the highest amount of oil to the marine environment, accounting for 46 per cent of the annual load to the world's oceans. -- Although they are entirely natural, these seeps significantly alter the nature of nearby marine environments.

As I said, environmental protection is very important, but the environmental cost of off-shore drilling should be kept in the context of an ecosystem that tolerates millions of gallons of oil releases whether humans engage in drilling or not.

photopilot

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:05 pm

Instead of Drill, Drill, Drill..... perhaps they should rephrase it to be Spill, Spill, Spill.  

flanker

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:54 pm

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 6):
As I said, environmental protection is very important, but the environmental cost of off-shore drilling should be kept in the context of an ecosystem that tolerates millions of gallons of oil releases whether humans engage in drilling or not.

Good post.
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

TheCommodore
Topic Author

Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:33 am

Looks like the search has been called off for the other missing oil rig workers, sad but I suppose it has to end one day.

There have been a massive 1,244 accidents causing 41 deaths and 302 injuries on rigs since between 2001 and 2007, which is a large number in anyone book. Not what you would call a safe place to work!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news...ticle.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10640622
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

jush

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:15 am

It's not a safe place to work. That is why nobody is forced to work there, instead you can earn a lot without a lot of education.
Risk is the factor which gets poor guys to good levels of pay. But they don't have to do that.
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

PPVRA

Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:21 pm

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 9):
There have been a massive 1,244 accidents causing 41 deaths and 302 injuries on rigs since between 2001 and 2007, which is a large number in anyone book. Not what you would call a safe place to work!

Probably still a lot safer than working for your local highway/motorway. . .
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

DocLightning

Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:56 pm

But the sources you quote quite clearly say that a concentrated, high-flow spill is very different in its ecological impact from the seepage. Seepage is spread out over thousands of square miles, while in a spill that amount of oil is released from a single point. The ecological effects are wildly different. Natural seepage doesn't lead to the vast wildlife kills that a spill does.

We need an alternative form of fuel to power our combustion-based machines and we need it soon.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

EMBQA

Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:44 am

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 9):

You want to see number that will shock you.. look at those from commercial aviation. My best guess is 4-5 times those...and I'm talking all inclusive... ramps, hangars, passengers...etc.

Quoting TheCommodore (Thread starter):
Yet another disaster for the environment and perhaps severe consequences for the coast of the US.

Have you read of ANY accounts of oil leaking...???
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

dxing

Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:51 am

I wonder how many people died as a result of medical malpractice last week? To listen to a few here in this forum its hard to believe the morgues can keep up. As to the enviromental effect:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6973797.html

Nearly defying belief, Coast Guard officials said on Friday the massive rig, which sunk Thursday morning, was itself missing, lost somewhere in 5,000 feet of water as it descended to the ocean floor.

A valve, meantime, had been activated at the wellhead on the seafloor, cutting off the flow of oil and gas and temporarily preventing a potentially disastrous oil spill.

----------

Friday evening, nine skimmers were vacuuming up a 2-mile-by-8-mile veil of oil from the water's surface and had so far collected 180 barrels of water and oil mixture. There were no indications the oil sheen was moving toward the coastline as of late Friday evening.

------

“It's bad that it happened but better than if it happened in saltwater marshes and mangroves, where it is really difficult to clean up,” said Chris Reddy, an oil spill expert at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in Massachusetts. “In the water, nature does a good job of cleaning itself up.”
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

PPVRA

Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:55 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 13):

Not until recently. . .

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63O01U20100425

With that said, calling 1,000 gallons per day a lot seems a bit much. When Petrobras P-36 rig exploded (and sank) in 2001 we also had minimal environmental impact.

Seems like the danger is mostly from ships?

[Edited 2010-04-24 19:00:57]

EMBQA

Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:04 am

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 15):

doubtful.. I'm sure it's a few hundred feet down. It was 50+ miles off shore
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

DocLightning

Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:06 am

Quoting dxing (Reply 14):

I wonder how many people died as a result of medical malpractice last week?

A lot less than were saved by medicine. By my conservative estimate, I save 2-3 lives per week on average. I have committed malpractice (so far) zero times.

If there were a safer alternative to modern medicine that were as effective, I'd be all about it. There isn't. There are safer alternatives to fossil fuels in the works and I think we should be working faster.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

dxing

Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:24 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 17):
A lot less than were saved by medicine.

And you can thank the petroleum industry for helping that to happen. Look around your office tomorrow and take stock of all things plastic. Most of them have a petroleum (oil) base. Which alternative will replace them?

There are safer alternatives to fossil fuels in the works and I think we should be working faster.

Name them. And please describe how they replace oil and all that it does.

Industrial accidents happen. Have happened, will happen.

And have a nice day.

[Edited 2010-04-24 21:32:05]
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

nighthawk

Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:05 am

A valve, meantime, had been activated at the wellhead on the seafloor, cutting off the flow of oil and gas and temporarily preventing a potentially disastrous oil spill.

that's the way it works. The valves are spring return, and are held open by hydraulic pressure. If you lose the rig, then you lose the hydraulic supply, sooner or later that things gonna snap shut.

MD11Engineer

Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:32 am

Quoting nighthawk (Reply 19):

that's the way it works. The valves are spring return, and are held open by hydraulic pressure. If you lose the rig, then you lose the hydraulic supply, sooner or later that things gonna snap shut.

Yup, this valve, the blowout preventer, just cuts through the drill pipe.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

MoltenRock

Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:52 pm

Funny how people who don't live in states affected by oil spills love to tout "Drill, Baby, Drill" and are as rare as clubbed baby seals in a Disney flick when a spill / environmental disaster strikes eh?

dxing

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:16 am

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 21):
Funny how people who don't live in states affected by oil spills love to tout "Drill, Baby, Drill" and are as rare as clubbed baby seals in a Disney flick when a spill / environmental disaster strikes eh?

I live in Houston, Texas. I think we need to drill more. Accidents are going to happen no matter how much prevention is done. Name the replacement for oil and all it does and I'll say stop drilling.

DfwRevolution

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:50 am

If there were a safer alternative to modern medicine that were as effective, I'd be all about it. There isn't. There are safer alternatives to fossil fuels in the works and I think we should be working faster.

I question the notion that alternative fuels are inherently safer than petroleum.

Whether fossil fuel or alternative fuels, we are trying to collect or concentrate a source of energy. When you concentrate energy, things can go wrong, regardless of the source of that energy. Ethanol fumes can be just as explosive as natural gas. The electric current coming out of 2 megawatt wind turbine can fry you just as the power coming from a coal fire plant.

Like dxing, I live near the Texas coast, frequently visit the coast, and happened to swim a triathlon in Galveston Bay this morning. I would hate to see an ecological disaster in my backyard, but we also need petroleum to sustain our standard of living in more ways than can be counted. The risks of off-shore drilling can be managed quite well.

I would remind you that no society is invincible from regression. Do we have the courage to keep our society ticking, or will we devolve into poverty the same as the Romans did?

Okie

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:17 am

Funny how people who don't live in states affected by oil spills love to tout "Drill, Baby, Drill" and are as rare as clubbed baby seals in a Disney flick when a spill

Funny I live in an oil producing state, I say keep drilling. Your analogy does not seem to hold any substance.

Okie

MarSciGuy

Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:13 am

Quoting jush (Reply 10):
It's not a safe place to work. That is why nobody is forced to work there, instead you can earn a lot without a lot of education.
Risk is the factor which gets poor guys to good levels of pay. But they don't have to do that.

I took part in a training session abot escaping from a helicopter underwater after it has crashed with 20-25 oil rig workers, and man, from what I hear, they go through loads of training to try and mitigate accidents such as this!

Apparently the Deepwater Horizon had been employing two classmates of mine, though neither, thankfully, were aboard at the time.
"There weren't a ton of gnats there where a ton of gnats and their families as well!"

nighthawk

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:50 pm

Quoting MarSciGuy (Reply 25):
I took part in a training session abot escaping from a helicopter underwater after it has crashed with 20-25 oil rig workers, and man, from what I hear, they go through loads of training to try and mitigate accidents such as this!

Indeed they do! Regulations covering offshore workers are VERY strict, far more so than most other industries. All personell working offshore must complete an offshore safety course before they can begin working. They must then do a refresher course frequently too (I am not sure if it is every year or every two years). The content of the course varies depending on what part of the world you intend to work, but will include escaping from a sinking helicopter, to basic first aid and firefighting skills.

MarSciGuy

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:31 pm

Quoting nighthawk (Reply 26):
Indeed they do! Regulations covering offshore workers are VERY strict, far more so than most other industries. All personell working offshore must complete an offshore safety course before they can begin working. They must then do a refresher course frequently too (I am not sure if it is every year or every two years). The content of the course varies depending on what part of the world you intend to work, but will include escaping from a sinking helicopter, to basic first aid and firefighting skills.

I do not, nor ever have, worked on an oil installation afloat or ashore, thankfully, for the HUET training (Helicopter Underwater Egress training) scared the bejeezus out of me - I love to swim and such, but being strapped in a helicopter and dunked upside down in the water while being expected to get out quickly was NOT a pleasant experience!

I should also say that, while respecting my former classmates who now perform this work for a living, I am not in favor of expanding drilling markedly.
"There weren't a ton of gnats there where a ton of gnats and their families as well!"

DocLightning

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:00 pm

Quoting dxing (Reply 18):
Name them. And please describe how they replace oil and all that it does.

I have. Multiple times in other threads. But you aren't interested.

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 23):
I question the notion that alternative fuels are inherently safer than petroleum.

For one thing, algae biofuels are biodegradable and don't need to be drilled. Yes, they can explode, but they don't come shooting up out of the ground.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

flanker

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:54 pm

There are safer alternatives to fossil fuels in the works and I think we should be working faster.

Nothing is on the horizon that would replace oil. The problem is that its not just about fuel.

Something else might help here and there but until theres a HUGE leap in technology, oil will always be the norm. Last time i checked you cannot make corn into plastic or other products for every day life. There needs to be a quantum leap in technology or a new substance which will replace petroleum as the main ingredient.

Until that day, EVERYONES focus in the United States should be on getting MORE oil, not less. I don't care if you are a damn lib or a conservative. There is nothing EVIL about looking after the interests of your own country. You should be promoting this instead of the opposite.

DocLightning

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:03 pm

Quoting flanker (Reply 29):

Something else might help here and there but until theres a HUGE leap in technology, oil will always be the norm. Last time i checked you cannot make corn into plastic or other products for every day life.

In fact, I have corn-based plastics in my home.

And if you think that biofuels are about corn or algae ponds, then you are way out of date.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

flanker

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:07 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 30):
In fact, I have corn-based plastics in my home.

You are talking about turning food into plastics. That makes so much sense!

Mudboy

Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:27 pm

Well I live in MS when I am stateside, and after Katrina, and all the people that got killed this weekend in Yazoo City by the Tornado, oil washing up on the coast is the last thing we need, but I say drill on!! Until people want to start riding bikes everywhere, we need it. I really think it is odd, that a bunch of Airplane enthusists are against the drilling of oil.

Quoting MarSciGuy (Reply 27):
the HUET training (Helicopter Underwater Egress training) scared the bejeezus out of me - I love to swim and such, but being strapped in a helicopter and dunked upside down in the water while being expected to get out quickly was NOT a pleasant experience!

Dude, that is the coolest training there is 

Okie

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:52 pm

No information as to what happened to cause the "blow out". There is equipment in place to monitor mud flow and control a kick. It has not been said whether they were totally suprised or trying to control a kick when things got out of hand.

The fact that there was such a huge long lasting fire indicates that something was amiss that caused the BOP not to shut down the well as advertised.

Okie

dxing

Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:51 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 28):
I have. Multiple times in other threads. But you aren't interested.

I'm interested in realistic solutions, not a bio reactor that somehow magically turns out 100,000 barrels of fuel on 100 gallons of fresh water in the middle of a desert.

So again, please name the substance, realistically obtainable, that can replace oil and all the things that oil does at tje same price.

MoltenRock

Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:56 pm

New polling data should be out next week as the photos and videos of the ecological disaster that is currently the size of West Virginia and growing hourly, and shall be interesting to say the least.

Current spill estimates say that the total could be 4 million gallons, nearly half the size of the Valdez disaster, before it is contained.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/04...last-ditch-effort-to-stop-landfall

StuckInCA

Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:34 am

Not a good situation

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100430/..._ge/us_louisiana_oil_rig_explosion

VENICE, La. (AP) — An oil spill that threatened to eclipse even the Exxon Valdez disaster spread out of control and drifted inexorably toward the Gulf Coast on Thursday as fishermen rushed to scoop up shrimp and crews spread floating barriers around marshes.

The spill was both bigger and closer than imagined — five times larger than first estimated, with the leading edge just three miles from the Louisiana shore. Authorities said it could reach the Mississippi River delta by Thursday night.

DocLightning

Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:15 am

Quoting dxing (Reply 34):
I'm interested in realistic solutions, not a bio reactor that somehow magically turns out 100,000 barrels of fuel on 100 gallons of fresh water in the middle of a desert.

It's not magic, it uses more than 100 gallons of water, but certainly a manageable amount.

But Dxing, I could fuel your car with the stuff for a year and you STILL would insist that it doesn't exist. So I'm not bothering.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Derico

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:07 pm

It seems the United States will face ''catastrophic'' environmental damage. That caught my attention as I had not heard this before in news reports.

How come authorities cannot contain the spill after so many days?? It would seem quite strange and a sign of incapability not to have controlled it in the much smaller originating area.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

Aaron747

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:16 pm

I wonder how many people died as a result of medical malpractice last week?

To be fair, though your posts regarding the lack of petroleum alternatives are accurate, there is no logical reason to pop a shot at the medical profession. With the exception of the handful of outright quacks out there, competent medical professionals work long hours doing incredibly stressful work day-in and day-out that most people don't have the stomach or patience for. It is simply not appropriate to take a slap at them for the sake of making a point. An apology is in order methinks.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

dxing

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:24 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 39):
An apology is in order methinks.

Good luck with that. I've got a lot of friends in the oil industry and they are just as hardworking as any of the medical professionals I know of. One of the big protests about tort reform is how, somehow, the medical profession is out of control and those big punitive awards are needed to keep them in line. I don't agree with that but I also don't agree with a wide brush stroke of the entire oil industry as was portrayed. Any flight over the gulf from LA west to TX at night shows what seemingly is a major city out on the water. This is the first major accident there in years, they have happened, they will happen. Just like medical malpractice.

FlyPNS1

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:33 pm

Quoting dxing (Reply 40):
This is the first major accident there in years, they have happened, they will happen. Just like medical malpractice.

However, with medical malpractice, those who have been wronged have a decent chance of getting remunerated for the wrong done to them.

Will those in the oil industry pay for the tens of thousands of people who may lose their livelihood as a result of this spill? Probably not and even if they are forced to, they'll drag it out in court for 20 years (see Exxon Valdez).

PPVRA

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:44 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 41):
Will those in the oil industry pay for the tens of thousands of people who may lose their livelihood as a result of this spill? Probably not and even if they are forced to, they'll drag it out in court for 20 years (see Exxon Valdez).

Broken legal system and stupid laws. Rather than getting distracted with "green" technologies, perhaps the government should focus in getting it's very basic functions right first.

But, it's nowhere near as cool running on a boring legal reform platform than some cool-looking, high-tech technology and associated big promises (which you will take credit for, of course). It doesn't buy votes. There is no "shock" value. It's geeky, and few understand it. You might as well campaign speaking Greek.

Aaron747

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Quoting dxing (Reply 40):

Good luck with that. I've got a lot of friends in the oil industry and they are just as hardworking as any of the medical professionals I know of.

Sorry, just not anywhere near the same thing. They're not involved in the business of keeping people among us. There's a reason this stuff requires 10+ years of training and expertise to do right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2_A-k3DmII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WIq6N8khCQ

[Edited 2010-04-30 09:51:22]
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

AGM100

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:56 pm

This is a terrible incident .. OMG we were going to Destin this year..fuck . This is just the worst possible scenario .... big time horrible event .

So I wonder who blew up the well head .... ? Halliburton involved in the building of the rig .... what a convienient two birds with one stone scenario. Too perfect indeeed....
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

StuckInCA

Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:04 pm

Quoting flanker (Reply 2):
Boohoo the environment
And I suppose you are ignorant to the fact that oil naturally leaks from the ocean floor in quantities that far exceed man-made spills?
the environmental cost of off-shore drilling should be kept in the context of an ecosystem that tolerates millions of gallons of oil releases whether humans engage in drilling or not.

Still not concerned about it given more recent news?

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 13):

Hindsight...

There were no indications the oil sheen was moving toward the coastline as of late Friday evening.
“In the water, nature does a good job of cleaning itself up.”
Quoting PPVRA (Reply 15):

LOL

casinterest

Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:06 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 44):
This is a terrible incident .. OMG we were going to Destin this year..fuck . This is just the worst possible scenario .... big time horrible event .

Heading there this week. Will post an oil update in a few weeks.

This weekend's weather looks like it will really bring the oil into Louisiana, Mississippi and potentially alabama/NW florida.
Gonna be interesting. Transocean and BP aren't going to do to well with the coming lawsuits. Wish I was a lawyer. They are gonna feed like sharks on this disaster.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

PPVRA

Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:15 pm

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 45):
LOL

Eh, historically speaking it seems the vast majority of oil spills are from ships.

http://www.marinergroup.com/oil-spill-history.htm

AGM100

Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:16 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 46):
coming lawsuits

Yes the "Lawyer in Chief" ..already fired the first shot at them this morning . "Heckavu Job Barry " way to set up cooperative operation's....great leadership skills ! This guy is frightening ... really he is...
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

DfwRevolution

RE: Burning Oil Rig Sinks, Sparking Fears Of Big S

Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:36 pm

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 45):
Still not concerned about it given more recent news?

It's a bad situation that has gotten worse, but what is the alternative? Go back to the stone-age?

A lot of you sound like the parrots who call for the grounding of entire jet fleets after an airliner goes down. This is horrible and tragic, but ultimately an isolated incident.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 43):
Sorry, just not anywhere near the same thing. They're not involved in the business of keeping people among us. There's a reason this stuff requires 10+ years of training and expertise to do right.

Ah, so work ethic can only be measured in the number of years you go to school. I see...

And while we may need a doctors from time to time, you need the product of engineers every waking second to enjoy your standard of living. Electricity, shelter, food, running water, air conditioning, transportation, etc. Which one has a more profound impact on the way we live?

[Edited 2010-04-30 10:47:25]