baguy
Topic Author

I Just Bought A Kindle

Mon May 03, 2010 10:25 am

I just ordered a Kindle 2 from Amazon! And I had to pay £50 import duty! £50!!! Anyway I can't wait for it to come, does anyone here have any experience of the Kindle 2 and the Whispernet? Also I'm particularly interested in the Newspaper subscriptions.

BAguy  

eatmybologna

RE: I Just Bought A Kindle

Mon May 03, 2010 4:35 pm

That's a great price!!! Sorry, I don't own a Kindle, but I'd like to acquire an e-reader (kindle, nook, or iPad) So, I can't comment on my experience with one except from what I hear. And that is...

Kindle (pro)
Cost of each book is lower, relative to that of the iPad.
Extensive e-book library.
The screen is easy on the eyes, has no glare, and can be read well in bright sunlight.

Kindle (con)
only available in monochrome.
Sole function is a reader and not versatile like the iPad.

By the way, would you care to share how you found such a good deal? I'd be interested at 50 pounds.

Thanks
Isn't knowledge more than just the acquisition of information? Shouldn't the acquired information be correct?

syncmaster

Mon May 03, 2010 5:46 pm

From both an iPad and a Kindle 2 owner, congrats! You will not regret getting the Kindle at all. I have read more on my iPad in the last few weeks than my Kindle, but I think once the novelty of the iPad wears off I will use my Kindle more. I don't have any problems reading on the iPad, even with the LCD screen. If nothing else the Kindle is smaller and has fewer distractions while I am reading. Plus it doesn't seem as "cold" and machine like as the iPad and more like a real book.

-Charlie

kaitak

Mon May 03, 2010 5:58 pm

Sorry, misread the title ... I thought a kindle was something South Africans use during a power cut.

MarSciGuy

Mon May 03, 2010 6:32 pm

Quoting eatmybologna (Reply 1):
at's a great price!!! Sorry, I don't own a Kindle, but I'd like to acquire an e-reader (kindle, nook, or iPad) So, I can't comment on my experience with one except from what I hear. And that is...

Kindle (pro)
Cost of each book is lower, relative to that of the iPad.
Extensive e-book library.
The screen is easy on the eyes, has no glare, and can be read well in bright sunlight.

Kindle (con)
only available in monochrome.
Sole function is a reader and not versatile like the iPad.

By the way, would you care to share how you found such a good deal? I'd be interested at 50 pounds.

Thanks

Unless I am mistaken, the OP did not mention the price he paid for the Kindle itself, rather the tariff paid IN ADDITION to the purchase price...
"There weren't a ton of gnats there where a ton of gnats and their families as well!"

Rara

Mon May 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 3):
Sorry, misread the title ... I thought a kindle was something South Africans use during a power cut.

You're mistaken - a kindl is something Berliners drink after work.

Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

flybaurlax

Mon May 03, 2010 8:24 pm

Quoting Rara (Reply 5):
You're mistaken - a kindl is something Berliners drink after work.

Now THAT's a Kindle I'd buy!
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

fridgmus

Tue May 04, 2010 6:48 am

I have both the Kindle2 and the KindleDX (much larger screen) and love them both. I have over 300 books on each and with space at a premium here, it's definitely the hot ticket.

When back in the US, the Whispernet service is great. Over here, I just download the books to my laptop and then using the provided USB cable, download them to my Kindles.

As an avid reader, I just can't imagine life without them!

I hope you enjoy yours as I do mine.

Happy Reading!

F
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

HAWK21M

Tue May 04, 2010 11:12 am

Out here the Kidle is being offered without a warranty.Hows it out there.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)