ua777222
Topic Author

NYC Bombing Suspect Arrested JFK

Tue May 04, 2010 4:40 am

CNN reporting an unidentified individual suspected in having a key role in the attempted NYC car bomb was just arrested at JFK trying to board a flight departing the country.

Hats off to the DHS and all of their agencies working together to keep us safer. This was clearly not luck, rather they've been tracking persons of interest and when faced with a possible departure from the country, they nabbed em'.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/05/04/new...ar.bomb/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

futurepilot16

RE: NYC Bombing Suspect Arrested JFK

Tue May 04, 2010 5:35 am

Quoting ua777222 (Thread starter):

Hats off to the DHS and all of their agencies working together to keep us safer

Hope they got the right guy and put this SOB away for a while.
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

ua777222
Topic Author

Tue May 04, 2010 5:37 am

Got him trying to go to Dubai.

30 year old naturalized American.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Eric Holder clearly is not happy that they had to arrest this individual but obviously, they are forced to do so once a departure from the country becomes evident.

Good job guys.

NIKV69

Tue May 04, 2010 5:40 am

Quoting ua777222 (Reply 2):
This is just the tip of the iceberg. Eric Holder clearly is not happy that they had to arrest this individual but obviously, they are forced to do so once a departure from the country becomes evident.

Absolutely if he gets on that plane he is gone and I doubt he would be back for the next tea party.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

ua777222
Topic Author

Tue May 04, 2010 5:51 am

Administrations and politics aside, I've been very happy with the way DHS has been operating counter-intelligence within our boarders for home-grown terrorists. This was the worst case as this group is clearly a splinter group not on the DHSs radar. Additionally, they bought this car locally with cash (why not just steal the damn car?), stole a license plate from a scrap yard, and only after they realized that it didn't go off and that the DHS was going to be down their back in hours did they decide to flee the country. DHS was on this guy within 24 hours, if that.

This is very much terrorism's version of HP IT outsourcing.

NIKV69

Tue May 04, 2010 6:04 am

Quoting ua777222 (Reply 4):
(why not just steal the damn car?

Then what? If you are successful your window of time is small and you risk getting caught driving the vehicle. Though it's the only real way to do it without having the vehicle traced back, even a cash sale on a used car can be traced.

Quoting ua777222 (Reply 4):
This is very much terrorism's version of HP IT outsourcing.

Much of it is but #1. They just want to kill as many Americans as they can and instill fear and #2. They really don't care if they get caught.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

ua777222
Topic Author

Tue May 04, 2010 6:31 am

Smart by police if true:

Reportedly (unconfirmed), they allowed the individual to board the aircraft with agents on the aircraft. They allowed him to do this so that they could see if he was meeting up with any other people.

DocLightning

Tue May 04, 2010 6:46 am

They're saying that this doesn't have AQ or Taliban's stamp on it.

WTF is going on here?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

sasd209

Tue May 04, 2010 7:03 am

I hope they got the correct fellow and have evidence to use against him..

shannORD

Tue May 04, 2010 7:05 am

I was listening to JFK tower on liveatc.net around 8:30-9:00 pm (11:30-12:00 pm New York time) and I heard the controller tell Emirates 202 that they needed to return to the gate immediately...so I'm guessing maybe he had already boarded the flight and they were already taxiing to the runway.

BMI727

Tue May 04, 2010 7:48 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 7):

I think that it is likely that if he is a Muslim extremist, he is not real Al Queda but rather just inspired by them. Even if he isn't Muslim at all, he may have tried to go there because he thought he could find protection.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

TheCommodore

Tue May 04, 2010 10:34 am

Anyway,..... I hope that this is the right guy that they've got this time, and not some cock up as has occurred in the past, both in the US, UK as well as Australia  
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

Springbok747

Tue May 04, 2010 10:39 am

Great work by the DHS! Lets see if this guy starts talking. I wonder who else was involved...I'm really curious to see whether this was Al-Qaeda or just some nutjob...
אני תומך בישראל

Mudboy

Tue May 04, 2010 10:51 am

Good job by the NYPD and FBI!!
Now send him to Gitmo, and break out the waterboard and put some Lady Gaga on a continuous loop!!     

HOMER71

Tue May 04, 2010 11:09 am

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 13):
Now send him to Gitmo, and break out the waterboard and put some Lady Gaga on a continuous loop!!

That's going too far: the ACLU will have a problem with Lady Gaga...
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

ltbewr

Tue May 04, 2010 11:34 am

The arrested suspect will be facing an arraignment in Federal Court in Manhattan. Additional people may be or have been arrested, including a vehicle and it's driver that may have dropped off the arrested suspect at JFK.

futurepilot16

Tue May 04, 2010 12:09 pm

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 13):
Now send him to Gitmo, and break out the waterboard and put some Lady Gaga on a continuous loop!

The water-boarding I could endure, the Lady Gaga would make me confess in a heartbeat.
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

jcs17

Tue May 04, 2010 12:40 pm

Color me surprised, I thought it was going to be an Australian heading home on Qantas.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

windy95

Tue May 04, 2010 1:02 pm

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 17):
Color me surprised, I thought it was going to be an Australian heading home on Qantas.

How about New Yorks great mayor

CBS Features NY Mayor Bloomberg Speculating Bomber Was Mad About ObamaCare

Quote:
Times Square car bombing was likely “homegrown” as he proceeded, in an interview excerpt run on Monday's CBS Evening News, to speculate it could have been placed by “somebody with a political agenda who doesn't like the health care bill or something. It could be anything.”

Could be “anything,” but the first thing Bloomberg thinks of are those who don't like ObamaCare, presumably conservatives or Tea Party activists.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-b...was-mad-about-obamac#ixzz0mxuHv9zU

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...5/03/eveningnews/main6457014.shtml

Dreadnought

Tue May 04, 2010 1:24 pm

Quoting windy95 (Reply 18):
CBS Features NY Mayor Bloomberg Speculating Bomber Was Mad About ObamaCare

Two comments:

Bloomberg takes his place among the whackos, and what do you expect from CBS?
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - W. Churchill

Newark777

Tue May 04, 2010 2:08 pm

The LiveATC.net recording is the top one on this list here. Very interesting.

http://www.liveatc.net/recordings.php
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

gulfstream650

Tue May 04, 2010 5:03 pm

Quoting newark777 (Reply 20):

The LiveATC.net recording is the top one on this list here. Very interesting.

It's here on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGKP_mnOONI

I posted it earlier but it vanished for some reason.
I don't proclaim to be the best pilot in the world but I'm safe

Ken777

Tue May 04, 2010 5:29 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 7):
They're saying that this doesn't have AQ or Taliban's stamp on it.

WTF is going on here?

While I'm sure that AQ might like to claim credit I doubt if it's one of theirs - a good AQ fanatic would have stayed in the car to ensure the bomb went off. This guy got our and took off, leaving a dud in his wake.

As for the arrest - well done for all involved.

Dreadnought

Tue May 04, 2010 5:33 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 22):
As for the arrest - well done for all involved.

Let's not congratulate ourselves so fast. Kudos to the investigators, no question, but this is a case of closing the barn door after the horse has bolted. Had this guy been in any way competent in basic electrics, that bomb would have gone off.

We dodged a major bullet by dumb luck - just like the failed Christmas bombing, which was another fizzle.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - W. Churchill

Boeing1970

Tue May 04, 2010 5:53 pm

Quoting ua777222 (Thread starter):
Hats off to the DHS and all of their agencies working together to keep us safer. This was clearly not luck, rather they've been tracking persons of interest and when faced with a possible departure from the country, they nabbed em'.

Are you kidding?

They've been LUCKY twice now. Once with the Delta flight and now this.

Dreadnought

Tue May 04, 2010 5:59 pm

Quoting Boeing1970 (Reply 24):

Are you kidding?

They've been LUCKY twice now. Once with the Delta flight and now this.

Exactly.

Our anti-terrorist operations have been a complete and utter failure in 3 recent cases - the Ft. Hood Shootings, the Christmas bombing and this incident. The last two failed not because we stopped anything, but because they didn't know how to detonate explosives properly.

Our police force worked very well (geared to catch people after a crime was committed). But our counter-terror ops (to catch people before they do something) has failed.

Newark777

Tue May 04, 2010 6:03 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 25):

Our anti-terrorist operations have been a complete and utter failure in 3 recent cases - the Ft. Hood Shootings, the Christmas bombing and this incident. The last two failed not because we stopped anything, but because they didn't know how to detonate explosives properly.

Indeed, it is quite scary to think that we have been saved twice now only due to incompetent terrorists.

SOBHI51

Tue May 04, 2010 6:05 pm

According to the news this guy went to Pakistan for 5 months to visit his wife. Few questions comes to mind
Did he have a job?
How can he afford being without a job for 5 months?
Who can bare staying with his wife for 5 continues months without going out to work?
And on the serious side
Anybody who stays over 15 days in that area of the world deserves a second look.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

Dreadnought

Tue May 04, 2010 6:07 pm

One more thing for the creepy file: The name of the suspect is Faisal Shahzad, and he is from Pakistan, whose main language is Urdu.

My wife speaks Urdu, and she says that Shahzad means "Martyr" in that language.

I wonder if that is the name he was born with, or whether he had this in mind ever since he applied for US residency and changed his name to 'something appropriate'.

AGM100

Tue May 04, 2010 6:12 pm

Very impressive action taken by the administration and all the agencies involved. Swift action is the key and they appear to have done it well. Thanks for keeping us safe ..

NYPD ... deserves credit for training their officers to take charge of a situation and save people ... Tip top.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

Newark777

Tue May 04, 2010 6:15 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 29):
NYPD ... deserves credit for training their officers to take charge of a situation and save people ... Tip top.

And the street vendors for alerting the police. Monster sure has been getting a lot of free publicity in the NYC area due to those vendors. 

fca767

Tue May 04, 2010 6:17 pm

Quoting shannORD (Reply 9):
I was listening to JFK tower on liveatc.net around 8:30-9:00 pm (11:30-12:00 pm New York time) and I heard the controller tell Emirates 202 that they needed to return to the gate immediately...so I'm guessing maybe he had already boarded the flight and they were already taxiing to the runway.

Nice...I guess if it had got into the air they could still call the plane back though...  

Boeing1970

Tue May 04, 2010 6:21 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 29):
Very impressive action taken by the administration and all the agencies involved. Swift action is the key and they appear to have done it well. Thanks for keeping us safe ..

NYPD yes. Administation for sitting on their hands until something transpired even though it failed, not so much.

comorin

Tue May 04, 2010 9:33 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 28):
My wife speaks Urdu, and she says that Shahzad means "Martyr" in that language.

I have a friend called 'Marty' but he seems all right to me...

Lame humor aside, 'Shaheen' is the Urdu word for martyr. I think 'Shahzad' is derived from 'Shah', or emperor. Hopefully other Urdu speakers can also pitch in.

SOBHI51

Tue May 04, 2010 9:52 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 33):
'Shaheen' is the Urdu word for martyr. I think 'Shahzad' is derived from 'Shah'

Sorry but it is neither nor the word should be Shaheed.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

Dreadnought

Tue May 04, 2010 9:52 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 33):

Lame humor aside, 'Shaheen' is the Urdu word for martyr. I think 'Shahzad' is derived from 'Shah', or emperor. Hopefully other Urdu speakers can also pitch in.

I asked my wife and she appologizes - she confused the name with Shaheed, which means martyr. You are right, of course.

comorin

Tue May 04, 2010 9:59 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 35):
I asked my wife and she appologizes - she confused the name with Shaheed, which means martyr. You are right, of course.

No problem! I found out meanwhile that 'Shahzad' means Prince in Urdu.

PITrules

Tue May 04, 2010 10:00 pm

Quoting fca767 (Reply 31):
Nice...I guess if it had got into the air they could still call the plane back though..

On some other msg boards people are stating he was 30 seconds from leaving the company, as in it was a close call and luck that the aircraft was intercepted by the tower at the last second.

I don't quite believe that, I think authorities had a bigger picture in mind .... they wanted to see who else might get on board and even sit next to or near the suspect. So they let the flight board and even taxi out as usual so as not to tip off the suspect(s) that something was going on.

I'll go one step further and speculate that even though he was on the no-fly list, authorities let him board and taxi out anyway for the above reasons. There probably were feds up in the tower the whole time and on their command the tower then relayed the message to return.

100% speculation on my part.

[Edited 2010-05-04 15:03:50]
FLYi

Newark777

Tue May 04, 2010 10:04 pm

Quoting PITrules (Reply 37):
100% speculation on my part.

I had assumed that they let him get on the plane, and was surprised by the outrage that he was allowed on. The last thing you want to do is spook him with a large police presence at the airport.

ua777222
Topic Author

Tue May 04, 2010 11:01 pm

Quoting newark777 (Reply 38):
I had assumed that they let him get on the plane, and was surprised by the outrage that he was allowed on. The last thing you want to do is spook him with a large police presence at the airport.

Even if the aircraft had taken off, while in US airspace they could have ordered it down. Its dangerous to think that they just assumed he was fleeing. This could have been his second act. Not trying to over dramatize anything here either.

Newark777

Tue May 04, 2010 11:22 pm

Quoting ua777222 (Reply 39):
Its dangerous to think that they just assumed he was fleeing. This could have been his second act.

I would hope that they knew more at that point about his intentions than they are making public right now.

ua777222
Topic Author

Tue May 04, 2010 11:48 pm

Quoting newark777 (Reply 40):
I would hope that they knew more at that point about his intentions than they are making public right now.

My hope so too. Again, very impressed with the DOT, DOJ, DHS, and all of their subsidiary agencies. A couple of FBI helos were in Connecticut near the suspects home waiting for evidence so that they could rush it to their labs.

Sometimes its best to be left out of the loop.

Newark777

Wed May 05, 2010 12:55 am

I wish the AP would get their facts straight:

" By the time Customs and Border Protection officials spotted Shahzad's name on the passenger list and recognized him as the bombing suspect they were looking for, he was in his seat and the plane was preparing to leave the gate.

But it didn't. At the last minute, the pilot was notified, the jetliner's door was opened and Shahzad was taken into custody."

They're saying the plane never left the gate, contradicting the ATC audio.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100504/ap_on_go_ot/us_times_square_probe

flanker

Wed May 05, 2010 4:06 am

It is now confirmed that he receive bomb training in Pakistan.
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

BMI727

Wed May 05, 2010 4:10 am

Quoting flanker (Reply 43):

That is surprising. Apparently he wasn't the best student.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

viaggiare

Wed May 05, 2010 4:25 am

So which is it? CNN says the feds reacted quickly, while the Associated Press suggests flight EK202 had already left the gate. I was under the impression that someone on a no-fly list doesn't even get past the airline counter.

Federal authorities had put him on a no-fly list earlier in the day, with investigators having determined that he had purchased the vehicle used in Saturday's failed bombing attempt, FBI Deputy Director John Pistole said Tuesday. Customs and Border Protection agents reacted quickly to the name match and made the arrest, Pistole said. —CNN

Suspect Faisal Shahzad was arrested Monday at John F. Kennedy International Airport while authorities held back the Dubai-bound Emirates flight and brought passengers back into the waiting lounge. Passengers arriving in Dubai said the plane left the gate and taxied for about five minutes before the pilot made an announcement that the plane was returning. —AP
Entre el fuerte y el débil, la libertad oprime. Sólo la ley libera.

flanker

Wed May 05, 2010 4:38 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 44):
Apparently he wasn't the best student.

THANK GOD. he should've just stuck with computer science.
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

viaggiare

Wed May 05, 2010 4:55 am

Security slip let suspect on plane, near takeoff (AP) — So is CNN spinning this story on behalf of DHS/CBP?

The Obama administration played down the fact that Shahzad, a U.S. citizen born in Pakistan, made it aboard the plane. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano wouldn't talk about it, other than to say Customs officials prevented the plane from taking off. White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said the security system has fallback procedures in place for times like this, and they worked.

It looks like a possible double FAIL: a half-ass shambles of a 'bomb' made of fireworks and the unexplosive kind of fertilizer —thankfully— and someone on a no-fly list who gets to board an aircraft which taxied around for five minutes... perp might have already been airborne out of a smaller and/or less congested airport!

[Edited 2010-05-04 22:20:20]
Entre el fuerte y el débil, la libertad oprime. Sólo la ley libera.

blrsea

Wed May 05, 2010 5:43 am

It looks like couple of other passengers too were taken out of the plane and questioned, and then releaased.

Looks like Emirates didn't do their job properly. THey didn't check the no-fly list again even after being alerted around 12:30pm. Check this article:

Lapses Allowed Suspect to Board Plane

Quote:
But at about 12:30 p.m. on Monday, more certain that Mr. Shahzad was the suspected terrorist, investigators asked the Department of Homeland Security to put him on the no-fly list. Three minutes later, the department sent airlines, including Emirates, an electronic notification that they should check the no-fly list for an update. At about 4:30 p.m., more information was added to the list, including Mr. Shahzad’s passport number, officials said.

Workers at Emirates evidently did not check the list, because at 6:30 p.m., Mr. Shahzad called the airline and booked a flight to Pakistan via Dubai, officials said. At 7:35 p.m., he arrived at the airport, paid cash for his ticket and was given a boarding pass.

They sounded the alarm, and minutes later, with the jet still at the gate, its door was opened and agents came aboard and took Mr. Shahzad into custody, officials said. The airliner then pulled away from the gate but was called back.

“Actually I have a message for you to go back to the gate immediately,” an air traffic controller told the pilot, according to a recording posted to the Web by LiveATC.net, which tracks air communications. “I don’t know exactly why, but you can call your company for the reason,” the controller added.

After the plane was called back, the authorities removed two more passengers. They were questioned and cleared. They and all the rest of the passengers were rescreened, as was the baggage, and the flight took off about seven hours late.

HAWK21M

Wed May 05, 2010 11:24 am

So will Pak govt take action to nab the real players behind this or similiarly look else where as in 26/11 with India.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)