mirrodie
Topic Author

Cubans Must Have The Worlds Best Mechanics?

Mon May 10, 2010 3:50 am

With so many older American cars that essentially remain there, I can't imagine the intuition and savvy that goes to keeping those cars running.

http://www.wliw.org/productions/trav...classic-american-cars-of-cuba/342/

I mean, in the US, we've become such a disposable society and yet Cuba is keeping these beauties running. how do they do it?! I know most of it is piecemeal and done to the detriment of purists, but you have to give them a lot of credit!
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

flanker

RE: Cubans Must Have The Worlds Best Mechanics?

Mon May 10, 2010 5:04 am

Quoting mirrodie (Thread starter):
With so many older American cars that essentially remain there, I can't imagine the intuition and savvy that goes to keeping those cars running.

Really? its not very hard. Necessity is the mother of invention. You can find that type of thing all over the world.
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

Fly2HMO

Mon May 10, 2010 6:16 am

Quoting flanker (Reply 1):
Really? its not very hard. Necessity is the mother of invention. You can find that type of thing all over the world.

True. But that's a skill that seems to have disappeared in the US IMO. For most people nowadays, the rule is: if it's broke, buy a new one.

MIAspotter

Mon May 10, 2010 6:28 am

I mean, in the US, we've become such a disposable society and yet Cuba is keeping these beauties running

Well, we are a disposable society I agree, and somehow we can afford it, but they can't, and if they keep those "beauties" running is really not because they want to, but because it's the only thing they have.

I remember watching an episode of "Clarkson's Motorworld" he went to Cuba to sample some of the "creations" like a bycicle with a leafblower engine, or the guy who makes brake fluid by mixing Shampoo with sugar and alcohol...

Quoting flanker (Reply 1):
Necessity is the mother of invention

There you go... well said.

MIAspotter
Nos vamos de Vueling?

Superfly

Mon May 10, 2010 6:46 am

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 3):
they keep those "beauties" running is really not because they want to, but because it's the only thing they have.

When I was in Cuba, I saw many newer Russian, German, Japanese and other non-American made imports. Granted most Cubans can't afford them.
What is interesting is that I didn't see too many old German and Japanese cars.
Several Cubans told me that they prefer to buy an old American car than a new Lada or Skoda.
My ride from Jose Marti International airport was in a brand new Lada.
A total heep of garbage that bottomed out on every pothole.
My ride back to the airport was in a 1947 Plymouth.
Even though it was totally beat up and had a kitchen linoleum floor, it still ran better and was way more comfortable than the brand new (2001 at the time) Lada.
Bring back the Concorde

afterburner

Mon May 10, 2010 10:03 am

I read somewhere that the engines under the hoods of those American classics are not the original ones anymore. Is that true?

flanker

Mon May 10, 2010 10:52 am

Quoting afterburner (Reply 5):
I read somewhere that the engines under the hoods of those American classics are not the original ones anymore. Is that true?

Some are some aren't. Those cars are not all original, obviously they use parts from other cars and fabricate others themselves.
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

AA757MIA

Mon May 10, 2010 11:36 am

If you ever go to Miami, try to get in touch with a cuban (the shorter he's been here the better), they have all kind of incredible stories from the island.

einsteinboricua

Mon May 10, 2010 12:41 pm

Quoting AA757MIA (Reply 7):
If you ever go to Miami, try to get in touch with a cuban (the shorter he's been here the better), they have all kind of incredible stories from the island.

Not to mention, for all currency lovers, they may have Cuban pesos and convertible pesos which they may part with. In Orlando I went to a Cuban restaurant and the owner was good enough to give me three different bills (two were Cuban pesos and one was a convertible peso).
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Kiwirob

Mon May 10, 2010 1:38 pm

I was told that under the bonnet of most of the American classics is a 1.3 or 1.5 litre Lada engine.

afterburner

Mon May 10, 2010 1:57 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 4):
My ride back to the airport was in a 1947 Plymouth.
Even though it was totally beat up and had a kitchen linoleum floor, it still ran better and was way more comfortable than the brand new (2001 at the time) Lada.
Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 9):
I was told that under the bonnet of most of the American classics is a 1.3 or 1.5 litre Lada engine.

So Superfly might have ridden a Lada-powered Plymouth. 

BMI727

Mon May 10, 2010 2:26 pm

I can't imagine the intuition and savvy that goes to keeping those cars running.

I don't think that is necessarily true. Those cars are pretty simple by modern standards. It takes some work and creativity for sure, but I don't think that one would need to be exceptionally talented to keep them running.

For one thing, usually the best thing said about American vehicles in WWII was that the average farm boy GI could fix them.

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 3):
I remember watching an episode of "Clarkson's Motorworld" he went to Cuba to sample some of the "creations" like a bycicle with a leafblower engine, or the guy who makes brake fluid by mixing Shampoo with sugar and alcohol...

Soichiro Honda's first (full) products were motorized bicycles.

Several Cubans told me that they prefer to buy an old American car than a new Lada or Skoda.

Having seen my fair share of Top Gear, I think I agree with them.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Superfly

Mon May 10, 2010 4:10 pm

Quoting flanker (Reply 6):

Some are some aren't. Those cars are not all original, obviously they use parts from other cars and fabricate others themselves.

Some are original, some are rebuilds but most are diesel truck engines. They're most likely to be Zil or some other Russian truck engines. Many sound like diesels and have black smoke exhaust just like a diesel.

Quoting AA757MIA (Reply 7):

...or even better. Go directly to Cuba and see for yourself rather than relying on someone else's "story".

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 9):

You were told wrong.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/Rush8track/PlymouthTaxi.jpg

Here is a late 1940s Plymouth I rode in powered by a diesel truck engine with a 3 on the tree manual transmission.
Bring back the Concorde

mirrodie
Topic Author

Mon May 10, 2010 6:04 pm

Cool shot. Got anymore car shots from yonder?

Quoting Superfly (Reply 12):
Go directly to Cuba and see for yourself rather than relying on someone else's "story".

True. I have to get down to my roots there sometime.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

Superfly

Mon May 10, 2010 6:16 pm

Quoting mirrodie (Reply 13):
I have to get down to my roots there sometime.

You're Cuban?

Quoting mirrodie (Reply 13):
Cool shot. Got anymore car shots from yonder?

They're all in my trip report.
At the time, I was still using a film camera and had to ration the amount of photos I took.

This photo is still my favorite on this trip.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/Rush8track/HavanaSkyline.jpg
Bring back the Concorde

sw733

Mon May 10, 2010 6:18 pm

Come to Africa, man. You'll see things you would be amazed can keep going!

I do love seeing the older cars in Cuba though.

Kiwirob

Mon May 10, 2010 7:22 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 12):
You were told wrong.

It was a Cuban who told me, I'll believe him.

DocLightning

Mon May 10, 2010 8:50 pm

The Cubans aren't the only ones.

Checked out any Iranian air carrier lately? They manage to keep those dinosaurs flying and flyable and it's impressive that they do.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Superfly

Mon May 10, 2010 10:15 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 18):
I fail to see why a Cuban would lie about the engine in his car.

I think a certain member here is making stuff up just for the sake of having an argument.   
Think about it. A 1.3 or 1.5 liter engine can barely move a 2100 pound Lada, so how would it be able to move a 5000 American car from the 1940s & 50s?

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 19):
The Cubans aren't the only ones.

Checked out any Iranian air carrier lately? They manage to keep those dinosaurs flying and flyable and it's impressive that they do.

Hell, me & KevinL1011 brought back to life a car that's entire engine bay caught on fire.

Fabulous Fords Forever - A.net Car Show Meet. (by kevinl1011 Apr 17 2010 in Non Aviation)#1

There would be lots more classic cars on the road that can live it's intended useful life if states like California didn't have such oppressive emissions laws that have forced many people to give up perfectly good running cars.
Bring back the Concorde

photopilot

Mon May 10, 2010 10:31 pm

Here guys. I spend a lot of time in Cuba, mostly Havana and these are just some of the old car images I have taken over the last dozen years.

Enjoy.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Habana%20-%20Dusk%20to%20Dawn/CentroCaronNightStreet.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Habana%20-%20Dusk%20to%20Dawn/NighStreetinCentro-3.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/2008_Trip/StreetScene3.jpg/2008_Trip/StreetScene3.jpg" border="0"/>

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/2008_Trip/OldCars.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/2008_Trip/SpeedingOldCar.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/2008_Trip/TheTaxibw-1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/2008_Trip/OldFord.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/2008_Trip/Old-Car2.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/2008_Trip/GranCar1955Desoto.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Cuba_Photos/gas-stn-1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Cuba_Photos/capitolo.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Cuba_Photos/Rainy_old_cars.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Cuba_Photos/Ridinginoldcar.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Cuba_Photos/OldBuick.jpg

[Edited 2010-05-10 15:43:00]

[Edited 2010-05-10 15:54:50]

Superfly

Mon May 10, 2010 10:58 pm

Quoting photopilot (Reply 21):
Here guys. I spend a lot of time in Cuba, mostly Havana and these are just some of the old car images I have taken over the last dozen years.

Enjoy.

Those are some beautiful photos!  
I especially like the 1955 convertible DeSoto in front of Hotel Nacional.

That 24 horas Servi gas station looks just like the one James Bond fueled up his car/fighter jet in the movie Octopussy.
Bring back the Concorde

photopilot

Mon May 10, 2010 11:24 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 25):
That 24 horas Servi gas station looks just like the one James Bond fueled up his car/fighter jet in the movie Octopussy.

It's in the town of Nueva Gerona on the Special Municipality of Isla de la Juventud off Cuba's south coast.

Cuba (politics aside) is an amazing country to photograph in just because it's almost like being in a time-warp. There's great subject material for cameras no matter which way you look.

mirrodie
Topic Author

Tue May 11, 2010 1:13 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 14):
You're Cuban?

Part, on one side of the family. Still have some elders there.

GREAT photos, Photopilot! I'm blown away!

sccutler

Tue May 11, 2010 3:49 am

Photopilot, exceptional camera work. I am especially fond of your night-time ambient shots!
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

AA757MIA

Tue May 11, 2010 4:23 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 20):
Think about it. A 1.3 or 1.5 liter engine can barely move a 2100 pound Lada, so how would it be able to move a 5000 American car from the 1940s & 50s?

If they could do this, I believe anything...  

[Edited 2010-05-10 21:24:43]

Superfly

Tue May 11, 2010 4:28 am

Quoting AA757MIA (Reply 29):
If they could do this, I believe anything...

I'm almost positive that's not powered by a rinky-dink Lada 4-banger.
Bring back the Concorde

AA757MIA

Tue May 11, 2010 5:08 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 27):
I'm almost positive that's not powered by a rinky-dink Lada 4-banger.

Haha! I'm not saying that, but if they could make it to FL on a 51 Chevy truck boat, I don't see why they can not have a Lada engine pushing a 5000-lb car, it doesn't have to be fast, clean, powerful or anything...

Superfly

Tue May 11, 2010 7:26 am

Quoting AA757MIA (Reply 26):
I don't see why they can not have a Lada engine pushing a 5000-lb car, it doesn't have to be fast, clean, powerful or anything...

If Lada makes a large diesel engine, then yes that is very possible.
Bring back the Concorde

JJJ

Tue May 11, 2010 10:22 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 27):
If Lada makes a large diesel engine, then yes that is very possible.

The GAZelle vans and trucks used to have Russian-made diesels (3-litre IIRC).

Now they come with Iveco diesels, but surely there're still a lot old GAZ trucks and vans in Cuba to cannibalize.

Superfly

Tue May 11, 2010 10:43 am

Quoting JJJ (Reply 28):

The GAZelle vans and trucks used to have Russian-made diesels (3-litre IIRC).

Now they come with Iveco diesels, but surely there're still a lot old GAZ trucks and vans in Cuba to cannibalize.

Thanks for the info.
That is what I had suspected.
Bring back the Concorde

RayChuang

Tue May 11, 2010 11:31 am

One of the potential downsides of normalization of relations between the USA and Cuba--which could happen once Fidel Castro passes away--is that all these old American cars will be quickly headed for the scrap heap, replaced by potentially many thousands of Volkswagens and Fiats manufactured in Brazil and Mexico.   It just won't be the same when the streets of Havana are filled with VW Fox and Fiat Uno models.

Superfly

Tue May 11, 2010 12:55 pm

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 30):
It just won't be the same when the streets of Havana are filled with VW Fox and Fiat Uno models.

...or even worse.
Toyota Prius, Honda Elements, Lexus RX-series, BMW M-classes and other boring & mundane crap that seems to be so popular here.

One of the potential downsides of normalization of relations between the USA and Cuba--which could happen once Fidel Castro passes away--is that all these old American cars will be quickly headed for the scrap heap

Since these are all pre-1975 models, they can be imported back here to the US and sold to old car aficionados.
I believe pre-1975 models can easily be imported back to the United States.
Bring back the Concorde

sw733

Tue May 11, 2010 2:23 pm

One of the potential downsides of normalization of relations between the USA and Cuba--which could happen once Fidel Castro passes away--is that all these old American cars will be quickly headed for the scrap heap, replaced by potentially many thousands of Volkswagens and Fiats manufactured in Brazil and Mexico

It's starting to happen, I have seen many modern cars in Cuba. There is no reason that VW and Fiat cannot already sell their cars in Cuba, from my understanding (they aren't American companies)...it's just that most of the country does not have the money to buy them.

flanker

Tue May 11, 2010 4:20 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 31):
BMW M-classes and other boring & mundane crap that seems to be so popular here.

Sorry but I wouldn't call an M boring.

Superfly

Tue May 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Quoting flanker (Reply 33):
Sorry but I wouldn't call an M boring.

Ooops, I meant to type X-class.

Quoting sw733 (Reply 32):
There is no reason that VW and Fiat cannot already sell their cars in Cuba,

They already do.
Bring back the Concorde

sw733

Tue May 11, 2010 8:07 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 34):
They already do.

I know, that's why I said

Quoting sw733 (Reply 32):

It's starting to happen, I have seen many modern cars in Cuba

Your 10 year old a.net eyes are getting a little foggy     

photopilot

Tue May 11, 2010 8:09 pm

One of the potential downsides of normalization of relations between the USA and Cuba--which could happen once Fidel Castro passes away--is that all these old American cars will be quickly headed for the scrap heap,
Quoting Superfly (Reply 31):
Since these are all pre-1975 models, they can be imported back here to the US and sold to old car aficionados.
I believe pre-1975 models can easily be imported back to the United States.

Ok guys, I'll set a few things straight. First off, the old cars have been officially declared "Patrimonial Items" and it is against the law to export them from Cuba. Again, politics aside, you have to respect a country that protects it's heritage and historical items, wanting to keep them within their own country. I don't see a policy such as that changing at any time, no matter who governs. What I do think will happen will be an availability of "parts" to help restore many of these cars to a more pristing shape and that would be a good thing.

As to what "runs" them. Many have been converted to truck diesel engines. And they come from many sources. Basically if it runs and they can adapt it to a car it gets swapped in.

Quoting sccutler (Reply 23):
Photopilot, exceptional camera work. I am especially fond of your night-time ambient shots!

Thanks for your kind comments. I love to wander the streets of Centro at night with a small mini-tripod and capture some long exposures. Most are 5 to 30 seconds, ISO 100.

Havana's Malecon shoreline drive that Superfly shows in Reply 14 is wonderful, and here's what it looks like at night.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Habana%20-%20Dusk%20to%20Dawn/MaleconyNoche.jpg

And a couple more Centro images for you to enjoy.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Habana%20-%20Dusk%20to%20Dawn/NighStreetinCentro.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Habana%20-%20Dusk%20to%20Dawn/NighStreetinCentro-2.jpg

Even for you bikers out there.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Habana%20-%20Dusk%20to%20Dawn/CentroStreetyNoche.jpg

Steve

Superfly

Tue May 11, 2010 8:32 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 35):
Your 10 year old a.net eyes are getting a little foggy

Ooops, I guess I am just getting old. 
Quoting photopilot (Reply 36):
you have to respect a country that protects it's heritage and historical items, wanting to keep them within their own country.

Agreed!

Quoting photopilot (Reply 36):
And a couple more Centro images for you to enjoy.

Your photos are incredible!
Post more!   
Bring back the Concorde

photopilot

Tue May 11, 2010 9:37 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 37):
Post more!

Ok, here's a few more images. From sunset through to sunrise all in Havana.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Habana%20-%20Dusk%20to%20Dawn/SunsetfromCabana-2.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Habana%20-%20Dusk%20to%20Dawn/Omnibusynoche.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Habana%20-%20Dusk%20to%20Dawn/MoroyNoche-2.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Habana%20-%20Dusk%20to%20Dawn/HarbourTunnel.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Habana%20-%20Dusk%20to%20Dawn/LaRampa-1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Habana%20-%20Dusk%20to%20Dawn/LaRampa-2.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Habana%20-%20Dusk%20to%20Dawn/SalvadorAllendeynoche.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Habana%20-%20Dusk%20to%20Dawn/Ayesteran.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Habana%20-%20Dusk%20to%20Dawn/CapitolioNoche-2.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Habana%20-%20Dusk%20to%20Dawn/GranTeatroynoche.jpg

[Edited 2010-05-11 14:43:31]

IH8BY

Tue May 11, 2010 10:06 pm

Some striking images Photopilot - many thanks indeed for posting them!

My ride from Jose Marti International airport was in a brand new Lada.
A total heep of garbage that bottomed out on every pothole.

I'd say it's probably not fair to compare Skoda and Lada (even taking into account the progress Lada has made). In the past, certainly, but there's some distance between the two now, and that goes back to before 2001. If nothing else, a new Skoda isn't going to be much more affordable than any other European car.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 17):

I read a fascinating article in a magazine a couple of years back (possibly Airliner World) about IranAir and how it kept its fleet in the air. It seems as though, through the basic need to keep the aircraft going, their engineers have built up a pretty impressive understanding of how their classic 747s work. I'll see if I can dig it out...
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

Superfly

Tue May 11, 2010 10:19 pm

Quoting photopilot (Reply 38):
Ok, here's a few more images. From sunset through to sunrise all in Havana.

I am really kicking myself in the arse for not bringing more film on that trip and taking more pictures.   
I regret not getting a photo of the buses that were converted from cattle trailers pulled by a tractor trailer.
We rode one of those buses out to the beach east of Havana.
Bring back the Concorde

photopilot

Tue May 11, 2010 10:45 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 40):
I regret not getting a photo of the buses that were converted from cattle trailers pulled by a tractor trailer.

Ahhhh.... the infamous Camel. The ubiquitous El Camello (the Camel) Metrobus. The nickname is well deserved because of it's two hump appearance. These have all been retired in Havana and now most of the city bus fleet is the new Yutong buses from China. You still might see a Camel out in the Campos however.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Cuba_Photos/Camel_Capitolio.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Cuba_Photos/camel-1a.jpg

Not every car in Cuba will run. Some still need a little "work" as this Lada in Habana Vieja illustrates. I'm sure there's a great story behind this car, but I was not able to find out any info. Just one of the strange sights found while wandering about.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/2008_Trip/WreckedCaronStreet.jpg

And to the totally crazy..... a stretched Lada taxi. Only in Cuba!!!! LOL!!!!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Cuba_Photos/Stretched_Lada_Taxi.jpg

Superfly

Tue May 11, 2010 11:02 pm

Quoting photopilot (Reply 41):
Ahhhh.... the infamous Camel. The ubiquitous El Camello (the Camel) Metrobus. The nickname is well deserved because of it's two hump appearance.

That would be it!
I think it only cost 1 peso to ride.
This was before they went to a new currency.
We were packed in like sardines. I never forget the wire with a few light-bulbs dangling for lighting.
The bus ride was about an hour each direction.

I must ask, did you fly Cubana?
Bring back the Concorde

photopilot

Tue May 11, 2010 11:23 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 42):
I must ask, did you fly Cubana?

Yes, flown Cubana many times, both International and Domestic. On the YYZ/HAV route they now use A-320's (wet lease from Groupo TACA in Costa Rica) but about 10 or 11 years ago I got a flight home on one of the last IL-76 still in service.

Also, domestically have flown on some interesting stuff.

Old DC-3

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Cuba_Photos/DC3-Senguanea.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Cuba_Photos/DC-3.jpg

AN-2

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Cuba_Photos/AeroTaxi.jpg

AN-26

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Steve_YYZ/Cuba_Photos/AN-26.jpg

[Edited 2010-05-11 16:27:42]

Superfly

Tue May 11, 2010 11:30 pm

Quoting photopilot (Reply 43):
about 10 or 11 years ago I got a flight home on one of the last IL-76 still in service.

You flew on a cargo plane?   

I flew there & back on their IL-62.
Bring back the Concorde

photopilot

Wed May 12, 2010 12:03 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 44):
You flew on a cargo plane?

I flew there & back on their IL-62.

Ouch... I've just had a "Senior's Moment" and you are indeed correct. It was an IL-62. Shouldn't have guessed on the number. Thanks for the correction.

Superfly

Wed May 12, 2010 12:34 am

Quoting photopilot (Reply 45):
Ouch... I've just had a "Senior's Moment" and you are indeed correct. It was an IL-62. Shouldn't have guessed on the number. Thanks for the correction.

They still have one left in their fleet. The one I flew on blew out an engine in flight recently.

Here is the report in English:
http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20080420-0

http://www.il-62.ru/library/incidents/CU-T1283/cubanail3.jpg

You can see all my car pictures in this thread.

Cubana IL-62 Experience. Fantastic! (by Superfly Jun 18 2001 in Trip Reports)
Bring back the Concorde

mirrodie
Topic Author

Wed May 12, 2010 2:04 am

LArry and Stephen some great stories to go with some fantastic images!

RayChuang

Wed May 12, 2010 3:58 am

I think the reason why Volkswagen and Fiat will quickly jump into the Cuban market once the US embargo ends is because both VW and Fiat already have considerable experience manufacturing and selling automobiles in the Latin American market, and as such I think Cubans--especially with an opened up economy--will buy the VW Fox and the new Fiat Uno model in droves.

photopilot

Wed May 12, 2010 1:44 pm

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 48):
I think the reason why Volkswagen and Fiat will quickly jump into the Cuban market once the US embargo ends is because both VW and Fiat already have considerable experience manufacturing and selling automobiles in the Latin American market, and as such I think Cubans--especially with an opened up economy--will buy the VW Fox and the new Fiat Uno model in droves.

You know, there's one thing that so many people just don't seem to understand. The US Embargo (Blockade) of Cuba has absolutely NOTHING to do with internal Cuban politics per se. At the present time, unless "connected" or in a very high position within the Cuban system, the average Cuban cannot legally go out and buy a new car. Even if the US drops their embargo entirely, what makes anybody think that Cuba will suddenly drop their own laws and regulations? It's really not until the Cuban internal political dimension changes (if ever it does) that perhaps the rules governing their society would allow open vehicle purchases. And that decision doesn't rest with the USA!