MadameConcorde
Topic Author

F1 2010: Monaco Grand Prix!

Mon May 10, 2010 10:10 am

Here it comes!
The Monaco Grand Prix!
The most famous, most exciting, most ultimate and best-est Formula 1 Grand Prix in the world!

Formula 1 is back in town!

The racing track map:

http://www.acm.mc/gpm/2010/docs/plan_situation_tribunes_2010.pdf

The official program of events:

http://www.formula1monaco.com/doc/prog_gp2010.pdf

just as if you were there!

You have it all - street racing at its best:
tight corners, multiple elevation changes, hair pin turns, straight lines, the tunnel, chicanes, emerging from the tunnel at the fastest point of the track and getting from darkness into full daylight...

and most of all a forecast of rain, maybe even heavy rain during the 3 days
not to forget the beautiful Monte Carlo Harbour and a fabulous backdrop with the Rocher and the Princely Palace.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/CDG1/forums%20mix/P1160224-1.jpg

So... who will get the win this time? Ferrari and Alonso? The Red Bulls? A one-two by the two McLarens?

Get ready for what promises to be the most exciting race of the 2010 season!

Go Monaco!

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

GrahamHill

RE: F1 2010: Monaco Grand Prix!

Mon May 10, 2010 12:01 pm

Monaco is so particular that it's difficult to guess who might be favourite!

I think that Mercedes, with their longer wheelbase, will not be at ease. At least not as much as they would have been with their previous car.
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

CXB77L

Mon May 10, 2010 1:22 pm

In the past couple of seasons, Williams have excelled in slow, high downforce circuits, best evidenced by Rosberg's 2nd place in Singapore a couple of years back. With new parts having just arrived, I think that both Williams will be in the points ... or am I being overly optimistic?

Monaco is another one of those tracks where overtaking is nigh on impossible, so getting pole is vitally important. I can't see anyone but a Red Bull scoring pole, given that they have the quickest car by some margin. I hope it's Vettel  
Boeing 777 fanboy

cpd

Mon May 10, 2010 1:32 pm

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 2):
I think that both Williams will be in the points ... or am I being overly optimistic?

You are being optimistic. The team will beat each other up (or kill each other) before they get a chance to fit the parts to the car...   (After seeing the goings on at Williams in Spain where there were so fierce arguments).

Maybe the drivers can work on the cars themselves.  

But being serious, it's sad to see one of the old names of the GP scene in such a terrible state.

I think Mercedes, if it rains should be okay with Schumacher at the wheel, he's pretty good in the rain - and the car seems more to his liking now. But I won't predict wins - the Mercedes car is far too slow for that. But if they keep out of trouble, who knows what might happen.

Kiwirob

Mon May 10, 2010 1:35 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Thread starter):
The most famous, most exciting, most ultimate and best-est Formula 1 Grand Prix in the world!

I'll give you the most famous, but most exciting, most ultimate and best-est it certainly is not, F1 cars out grew Monaco at least 20-30 years ago, the FIA just haven't had the guts to cut it from the schedule. It's boring, most of the winners are the bloke who gets pole, it's basically a procession from start to finish, the only time the order changes is during pit stops or if someone crashes out.

Monaco needs to be widened to allow more overtaking opportunities but since it's stuck in that overpriced pretentious city nothing can be done to improve the track without demolishing some of those ugly commie blocks that people live in. Basically we are stuck with an F1 race on a track that's outdated and no longer suitable for F1, that said Monaco would probably make a great track for the WTCC or the DTM, street circuits and touring cars are made for each other.

GrahamHill

Mon May 10, 2010 1:59 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 4):
I'll give you the most famous, but most exciting, most ultimate and best-est it certainly is not, F1 cars out grew Monaco at least 20-30 years ago, the FIA just haven't had the guts to cut it from the schedule. It's boring, most of the winners are the bloke who gets pole, it's basically a procession from start to finish, the only time the order changes is during pit stops or if someone crashes out.

Monaco needs to be widened to allow more overtaking opportunities but since it's stuck in that overpriced pretentious city nothing can be done to improve the track without demolishing some of those ugly commie blocks that people live in. Basically we are stuck with an F1 race on a track that's outdated and no longer suitable for F1, that said Monaco would probably make a great track for the WTCC or the DTM, street circuits and touring cars are made for each other.

Monaco is and will remain the most attractive, most famous and most prestigious race in the F1 calendar. Its fame equals Le Mans and Indianapolis. Removing it from the calendar would be a major setback for this discipline. I prefer 1 billion times a GP in Monaco than in fricking Bahrain or Abu Dhabi!!

And you mention that "it's a procession from start to finish, the only time the order changes is during pit stops or is someone crashes out", but hey, it's basically the same thing on most of the tracks nowadays (especially the new ones). Because they have so much downforce and so much electronics, F1s struggle to overtake. Last example is Button trying several times to overtake Schumacher yesterday, despite being faster by a handful of km/h.

Barhain and Barcelona have been plain boring. Australia, Malaysia and China have been more exciting, but it was only because the rain.

It seems that, nowadays, only the rain can spice up GPs.

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Mon May 10, 2010 2:29 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 5):

Chances of rain for this coming Monaco Grand Prix are pretty good, really.
Maybe even big fat rain storms. I would love to see this!
More chances of a big fat rainstorm on Saturday, still chances of rain on Sunday.
It will certainly spice up the race if the rain is here!

B747forever

Mon May 10, 2010 2:54 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 6):
Maybe even big fat rain storms. I would love to see this!

That wouldnt be good. We will probably see the SC out if it rains too heavy.
Work Hard, Fly Right

BlueElephant

Mon May 10, 2010 2:58 pm

I'd like to chime in on this arguement with a couple of notes and questions:

It's boring, most of the winners are the bloke who gets pole, it's basically a procession from start to finish, the only time the order changes is during pit stops or if someone crashes out.

Rob, question, Have you ever been to Monaco?

I had a similar sense of the race and the place but then last year I went to Monte Carlo. I actually walked the entire circuit, and I must be completely honest. Every single time I think about this race, I am in awe at how an F1 car even gets around it in the first place. You may think its boring, and it could be a procession....but its an extremely calculated procession...

The best way to put it is, the circuit actually looks WIDER/BIGGER on TV then it really is. I could post pictures of the track if you care to see what I mean.

Barhain and Barcelona have been plain boring. Australia, Malaysia and China have been more exciting, but it was only because the rain.

I agree Rain makes things exciting, but I also must admit that A. had it been Hamilton he'd have got passed Schumi at Barcelona and B. The reason why it was exciting was because of the way they were forced to drive. But this time around I feel that Monaco has to ability to be exciting even in the dry...reasons:

1. New teams are off the pace. Which means that the front runners will be forced to get by one way or another.
2. New Drivers lack experience. Monaco is not for the newbies unless your name is Lewis Hamilton. How much practice can a new driver get if he's constantly looking in the mirrors waiting for a Red Bull to show up. And at this circuit if you look in your mirror you just might miss that turn
3. I am 100% positive there will be at least one safety car. With or without rain..
4. You forget about all the passing and craziness at the Hotel Hairpin. FYI...That's a scary corner even in a normal car. Especially when a bus is coming in the other direction :-P

More chances of a big fat rainstorm on Saturday, still chances of rain on Sunday.

If it rains too much I'm sure we'd see a red flag, which isn't fun. the track is prone to aquaplaning which could stop the race quickly. Lets hope for on and off showers just to confuse everyone.

B747forever

Mon May 10, 2010 3:07 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 8):
I could post pictures of the track if you care to see what I mean.

You know, I would love to see those pics!
Work Hard, Fly Right

Kiwirob

Mon May 10, 2010 3:40 pm

Monaco is and will remain the most attractive, most famous and most prestigious race in the F1 calendar. Its fame equals Le Mans and Indianapolis. Removing it from the calendar would be a major setback for this discipline.

Never say never the Monte Carlo Rally was the highlight of the WRC and it was dropped from the calendar, Indy was messed up for a while due to the CART IRL split. SPA and Monza are both much better tracks with a very long history with F1, you don't need to keep Monaco just because it's been around a while, the track isn't suited to F1 and should be dropped, the race is a farce.

And you mention that "it's a procession from start to finish, the only time the order changes is during pit stops or is someone crashes out", but hey, it's basically the same thing on most of the tracks nowadays (especially the new ones). Because they have so much downforce and so much electronics, F1s struggle to overtake. Last example is Button trying several times to overtake Schumacher yesterday, despite being faster by a handful of km/h.

You are correct that is why I watched the SPA 1000km this weekend instead of the F1 race and will choose IRL over F1 any day, the drivers might not be as well know but the racing in both Sportscars and IRL is far in away more exciting than F1 has been since the 80's. Since the racing in IRL is so good I think F1 should follow it lead, not quite to standardised cars but to more common components, you could have a standardised tub with the teams being free to develop there own aero.

Rob, question, Have you ever been to Monaco?

Yup been there, not to the race, but been to Monaco, which is why I think Monaco should be dumped from the F1 calendar, replace the F1 race with WTCC it would make a nice edition to the series, rather like a European version of Macau.

Boeing74741R

Mon May 10, 2010 3:46 pm

Here it comes!
The Monaco Grand Prix!

Formula 1 is back in town!

It's my favourite race of the year, and I am very much looking forward to it!   

Will you be sharing photos with us again this year?  

Couldn't disagree more. You raise a few points, but what Monaco offers in comparison to most other tracks is prestige, history and glamour. Monaco is to F1 what Daytona is to NASCAR, Indianapolis is to IRL etc.

GrahamHill

Mon May 10, 2010 4:02 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 10):
the race is a farce.

That's a bit harsh  Wow!
that is why I watched the SPA 1000km this weekend instead of the F1

Me too! I almost made the trip to Belgium as some friends went there, but I did not have much money to spend.

The battle between Peugeot and Audi has been quite enjoyable to watch.

codeshare

Mon May 10, 2010 5:08 pm

Can we have no Red Bull on P1 this time ? It will be hell of traffic for qualifying and the race.

KS/codeshare
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Mon May 10, 2010 5:22 pm

Quoting Boeing74741R (Reply 11):
Will you be sharing photos with us again this year?

I will certainly do my best. I have got a different kind of ticket this time around. It should get me some interesting unusual viewings all over the track through racing time.

I will be out there tomorrow afternoon by the padddocks and the pit lane to get the latest info and see what's going on. I will certainly keep my ears and my eyes open. Then it will be every day until probably late Sunday night.

I really want to get signings this year and see my most favourite drivers, Hammy, Kamui and Pedro.

I think the most courted driver will be Shcumi, then Vettel and Webber, the Red Bull Boys. Also all the tifosi are always in Monaco so I expect there will be a crowd around Alonso and Felipe Massa.

Now let's see if the volcano will play his games on those who are planning to fly in.    

sudden

Mon May 10, 2010 5:37 pm

the race is a farce.

Yeah, you must be right. Why else is this the race that all drivers want to win above all the other races on the calendar.
I can't say Monaco is the highlight of the season for me, but I would for sure not want to see it give way for some asian/middle east track in the middle of nowhere where the race is just as fun as watching paint dry.

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 12):
some friends went there

You have friends!!!???  Wow!
When in doubt, flat out!

Kiwirob

Mon May 10, 2010 5:43 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 12):
That's a bit harsh

Not really, the bloke on pole will probably win it, that's pretty much a farce isn't it.

Quoting Boeing74741R (Reply 11):
You raise a few points, but what Monaco offers in comparison to most other tracks is prestige, history and glamour.

Prestige, history and glamour don't make up for a rubbish race, F1 has outgrown the track, continuing to race there is pointless. Winning Monaco isn't as great an achievement as winning Indy or Le Mans, all you have to do is get pole and make sure you don't get into any trouble during the race.

GrahamHill

Mon May 10, 2010 6:14 pm

Quoting sudden (Reply 15):
You have friends!!!???

Shhhhhhhhhh!!!   

I meant my imaginary friends, but keep it for yourself!   

B747forever

Mon May 10, 2010 6:18 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 14):
I will certainly do my best. I have got a different kind of ticket this time around. It should get me some interesting unusual viewings all over the track through racing time

Really excited for the pics!

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 14):
Now let's see if the volcano will play his games on those who are planning to fly in

Shouldnt cause many problems.
Work Hard, Fly Right

Kiwirob

Mon May 10, 2010 7:56 pm

Quoting sudden (Reply 15):
but I would for sure not want to see it give way for some asian/middle east track in the middle of nowhere where the race is just as fun as watching paint dry.

Replace Monaco with Imola, Estoril, Kyalami or Zandvoort, no need to use a boring Tilke designed track.

I agree all of the Hermann Tilke tracks are as boring as watching paint dry or grass grow, it's a pity we didn't realise that Tilke was a poor designer of race tracks after the mess he made of the Osterreichring when he butchered it and turned it into the A1-Ring. In fact I would say Tilke is one of the people responsible for the poor state of F1 today, it's not just the cars its the tracks as well

sudden

Mon May 10, 2010 8:58 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 19):
Replace Monaco with Imola, Estoril, Kyalami or Zandvoort, no need to use a boring Tilke designed track.

It wont happen and we both know it. Monaco will stay as it's a matter of prestige only to be able to race their for any driver. If Monaco were to be taken off the calendar, I can almost bet you that it would more or less be a reason on it's own to create a breakaway serie. The Monaco GP will stay. But you are entitled to your opinon as it's a matter of taste.
But I do not agree that the pole sitter is the one winning the race. Monaco is all about strategy, but if one is not able to see and enjoy it, then I can understand why you want Monaco to be scrapped.
However, with this years fule regulation I think it will be a different story.
When in doubt, flat out!

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Tue May 11, 2010 9:05 pm

Big news. There is now a change in the weather forecast.

Rain on Thursday.
Sunny on Saturday and Sunday.

Let's see if the weather predictions will change again before the weekend.

cpd

Tue May 11, 2010 10:15 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 16):
Prestige, history and glamour don't make up for a rubbish race, F1 has outgrown the track, continuing to race there is pointless. Winning Monaco isn't as great an achievement as winning Indy or Le Mans, all you have to do is get pole and make sure you don't get into any trouble during the race.

What it does do is make the F1 drivers earn their money. It's a tough circuit, the slightest loss of concentration for a moment can end in disaster.

waterpolodan

Tue May 11, 2010 10:44 pm

A. had it been Hamilton he'd have got passed Schumi at Barcelona

People keep saying this, but what's the point? Yes, Hammy is generally a more aggressive driver than Button, but that doesn't mean he would have made the pass. Schumi is terribly hard to get by, and methinks that if Lewis were to have tried any more than Jenson, he would have either been run off the road or crashed himself and possibly MSC out of contention. Anyway, it's a matter of pure conjecture. In Button's defense, everyone goes off on how bad he is at passing people, but we all forget his drive in Brazil last year with the title on the line. He excelled and passed many cars to do what he needed to do to win his title.

Scooter01

Wed May 12, 2010 1:39 am

Reading this thread for the last few days really makes me want to make these comments (for whatever they are worth)
MadameConcorde (Thread starter):
not to forget the beautiful Monte Carlo Harbour and a fabulous backdrop with the Rocher and the Princely Palace.
Nice boats in the picture. Guess the M/Y RADIANT won't be there 'cause I saw her arriving here in Oslo yesterday. Maybe just as well -since the noise would probably set off some of her self-defence mechanisms....

I agree...

Monaco is and will remain the most attractive, most famous and most prestigious race in the F1 calendar. Its fame equals Le Mans and Indianapolis. Removing it from the calendar would be a major setback for this discipline. I prefer 1 billion times a GP in Monaco than in fricking Bahrain or Abu Dhabi!!

Hey, it's a street race, what do you expect?

Chances of rain for this coming Monaco Grand Prix are pretty good, really.

Too bad there are no streetcar-tracks in Monaco to negotiate...

New Drivers lack experience. Monaco is not for the newbies unless your name is Lewis Hamilton. How much practice can a new driver get if he's constantly looking in the mirrors waiting for a Red Bull to show up. And at this circuit if you look in your mirror you just might miss that turn

-Some of these guys actually live in Monaco -talk about "Home-track advantage"...

the race is a farce.

-Agreed

You are correct that is why I watched the SPA 1000km this weekend instead of the F1 race and will choose IRL over F1 any day, the drivers might not be as well know but the racing in both Sportscars and IRL is far in away more exciting than F1 has been since the 80's.

Real Racedrivers can drive any real racecar in any series, just look at Jackie Ickx, Manfred Winklehock, Hans Stuck etc....

I feel like the Monaco Grand Prix should stay -in a Vintage Racing Series..
(I'm not knocking Monterey...)

-now we are getting somewhere. -Anyone who has spent a race-day at the rolling hills of Mosport, Watkins Glen or Saint-Jovite/Mt.Tremblant knows what I mean.

Quoting sudden (Reply 20):
It wont happen and we both know it. Monaco will stay as it's a matter of prestige only to be able to race their for any driver.

As my favourite Racing driver once said "There are RACECARIDRIVERS and people who drive racecars"...

Not quite, this is how it endeed up in '82 :
The race featured possibly the most eventful end to a Grand Prix ever (comparable but in a different way to the 1979 French Grand Prix): on the last 2 laps of the race, 5 race leaders went off, but 1 recovered. By lap 74, when a light rain began, Alain Prost was leading, and then crashed into the Armco barriers coming out of the Chicane du Port (also known as the Dog Leg). On lap 75, Riccardo Patrese led, spun and stalled at Loews. On the last lap, Didier Pironi led into the tunnel and ran out of fuel, Andrea de Cesaris also ran out of fuel before he could take over the lead, and Derek Daly, the next leader, already had a car with no front or back wing- and then a damaged gearbox which seized up before he could start the final lap. Patrese, who had managed to restart his car by rolling downhill and bump-starting, won the race. Pironi and de Cesaris were classified 2nd and 3rd, with Daly sixth. BBC commentator and 1976 world champion James Hunt famously commented:
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one"

...and WHO will ever forget the tire-toucing, rubber burning RACE for 2nd place in Dijon '79

May the BEST driver win!

Scooter01
There is always a good reason to watch airplanes

Stealthz

Wed May 12, 2010 2:29 am

Quoting Scooter01 (Reply 24):
...and WHO will ever forget the tire-toucing, rubber burning RACE for 2nd place in Dijon '79

Not anyone that saw it!!

For those with short memories or too young to have witnessed real racing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl2tIFxSEGA

The classic Murray Walker commentary is a bonus!!

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

aerobalance

Wed May 12, 2010 2:48 am

Monaco...Makes qualifying that much more important, and for me, more exciting than the race...
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

sudden

Wed May 12, 2010 7:49 am

As my favourite Racing driver once said "There are RACECARIDRIVERS and people who drive racecars"...

And your point is??? Seriously, that quote holds less to nothing of valuable information.

GrahamHill wrote nowadays, and you go on about -79 and -82. I hope you don't compare today's F1 cars with those from back then as the only thing they have in common is 4 tires at each corner of the car.

Real Racedrivers can drive any real racecar in any series, just look at Jackie Ickx, Manfred Winklehock, Hans Stuck etc....

What you are totally forgetting is that back then when these drivers were active, they actually had time to drive in other series. Today's drivers don't have that luxury. And most likely their contracts even forbid them to race in other series so that their F1 team can make most use of their driver through out the whole season. And you also forget all the sponsor work that a driver needs to put up with between races. So again, to compare today's drivers with those from 25-30 years ago carry no weight.
When in doubt, flat out!

Kiwirob

Wed May 12, 2010 9:13 am

Quoting cpd (Reply 22):
What it does do is make the F1 drivers earn their money. It's a tough circuit, the slightest loss of concentration for a moment can end in disaster.

Drivers would still earn the same money if Monaco was in our out of the championship. Any loss of concentration in any racecar on any circuit anywhere in the world can end in disaster, besides the speeds in Monaco aren't as high as other tracks so when you do hit the wall you're not going to hit as hard.

People need to get real, Monaco is a terrible track for modern day F1 cars and has been for a very long time, other much better tracks have been removed from the championship so I don't see any reason why this crappy little circuit should remain. Change it to a historic GP or race touring cars but not F1.

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Wed May 12, 2010 9:59 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 28):
I don't see any reason why this crappy little circuit should remain.

Go tell this to Prince Albert and to the whole F1 organisation. I don't think you will have much success.

I will be spending time around the GP site today to see what's going on. Will try to post pix later tonight.

GrahamHill

Wed May 12, 2010 10:02 am

Hey, it's a street race, what do you expect?

I was talking about the vast majority of the circuits, and especially the Tilke ones.

What does that mean? You're talking about drivers of another age (with all the respect I have for Jacky, Manfred or Hans), when the calendar was not so huge and when contracts were not so restricting. It was common for up until the 80s to do a Sports car race, then a F1 race and the following week-end a F2 race. Today, if you are a Mercedes driver, you're not allowed to race for any other brand than Mercedes. And there is so much money involved that Teams don't want to risk their drivers in other disciplines.

However, if they have an opportunity (meaning if the schedule and the contract allow) to do it they will. Look at Loeb or Bourdais.

WHO will ever forget the tire-toucing, rubber burning RACE for 2nd place in Dijon '79

It was an exceptional race indeed.

I don't see your point. You're mentionning 1 edition out of the 70 or so in the history of the track.

I, for example, remember 1984 where the world discovered probably the greatest F1 driver of his generation. But there has been plenty of other great Monaco editions.

Well we've got this ridiculous situation

Is it more ridiculous than the 2005 US GP? Or the 2009 Malaysian GP? These GPs were a farce.

[Edited 2010-05-12 03:31:43]

sudden

Wed May 12, 2010 1:50 pm

Drivers would still earn the same money if Monaco was in our out of the championship
People need to get real
this crappy little circuit

Now we know what you think and feel about Monaco, so lets get off your high horse and get real. No matter how much you complain, it wont be taken off the calendar.
Your very much entitled to your opinion, but enough is enough, sort of.
When in doubt, flat out!

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Wed May 12, 2010 8:19 pm

Today's pictures.

When I got there, Jenson Button was the first driver I got to see. Then I saw Kubica, but I did not have my camera on hand to get pictures of them.

Sebastien Buemi, still the same, always very nice.

Timo Glock

Keke Rosberb - Saw Nico a bit earlier but did not get pictures.

McLaren mobile

Karun Chandok. He looks friendly.

A Swiss former F1 driver, sorry I am tired. I forgot his name. He had many people around him.

The train man...

on his scooter

Lotus team logo on team worker polo shirt

Hispania Racing mobile

Karun Chandok - He came my way again

Lotus mobile

Kamui Kobayashi - for me alone! He came as a big surprise! No one was there!

Kamui at the BMW Sauber paddock. We had a nice conversation about his racing and about Japan.
He is a true sweetheart just as I thought he would be.   

Virgin Racing mobile. Talking to one of the workers he sakd RB should be there Saturday and Sunday. Let's see if I can get a picture of him. I will try!

Pit lane

Rascasse corner

Grandstands and harbour views

Monaco F1 Grand Prix improvised campground up above the Rascasse corner. These people are spending the nights there.

General overview

I did not get to see Lewis today. I will certtainly see him tomorrow.
Schumi was around, so was Alonso. People saw them. Strangely there was no talk about the Red Bull Boys Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel. I did not hear a thing about them.

There are the same people travelling from Japan as every year. It is nice to see that they are regulars coming to the Grand Prix in Monaco. We talked about the days of the Aguris, Honda and Toyota. Sadly they are no longer racing.

So this is my picture report for today. I will see what I can get tomorrow for the first and second free practice and after that too!

VJ Mallya will be hosting a giant party on his mega-yacht Indian Princess tomorrow from 6.00 PM to 6.00 AM the next morning. So far he has the biggest yacht in the harbour. I have got no invitation, I will be happy to do without it. There will be other things/people to do and see. Some are taking advantage of the event to show off their big cars, Rolls Royces, Bentleys but also counless Ferraris, Maseratis and other super-luxurious cars cruising around the racing track area and around town. Some of the owners really like to be seen.

More tomorrow.

[Edited 2010-05-12 13:21:15]

GrahamHill

Wed May 12, 2010 9:51 pm

Bravo! Thanks for sharing your pictures with us!!  
Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 32):
A Swiss former F1 driver

Could he be Marc Surer?

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 32):
Kamui Kobayashi - for me alone! He came as a big surprise! No one was there!

He he he, nice   

GrahamHill

Thu May 13, 2010 9:52 am

First practice results:

Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Alonso Ferrari 1:15.927 31
2. Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1:16.000 + 0.073 26
3. Kubica Renault 1:16.016 + 0.089 28
4. Webber Red Bull-Renault 1:16.382 + 0.455 24
5. Massa Ferrari 1:16.517 + 0.590 29
6. Schumacher Mercedes 1:16.589 + 0.662 21
7. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1:16.647 + 0.720 32
8. Button McLaren-Mercedes 1:16.692 + 0.765 29
9. Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1:16.805 + 0.878 23
10. Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:16.857 + 0.930 30
11. Rosberg Mercedes 1:17.149 + 1.222 14
12. Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 1:17.331 + 1.404 28
13. Liuzzi Force India-Mercedes 1:17.704 + 1.777 26
14. Petrov Renault 1:17.718 + 1.791 38
15. Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:17.991 + 2.064 36
16. Hulkenberg Williams-Cosworth 1:18.397 + 2.470 39
17. de la Rosa Sauber-Ferrari 1:18.434 + 2.507 37
18. Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1:18.547 + 2.620 32
19. Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1:19.527 + 3.600 23
20. Kovalainen Lotus-Cosworth 1:19.606 + 3.679 31
21. Trulli Lotus-Cosworth 1:19.902 + 3.975 30
22. di Grassi Virgin-Cosworth 1:20.566 + 4.639 18
23. Senna HRT-Cosworth 1:21.688 + 5.761 27
24. Chandhok HRT-Cosworth 1:21.853 + 5.926 6

sudden

Thu May 13, 2010 12:24 pm

Although the long wheel base, maybe Schumi will step up and show why he earned his 7 titles this weekend. And hopefully it is without "spinning" in the last corner during quali.  
When in doubt, flat out!

Stealthz

Thu May 13, 2010 12:29 pm

Quoting sudden (Reply 35):
Although the long wheel base,

It appears Mercedes have reverted to the short wheelbase configuration for this weekend.

Quoting James Allen at JA.F1:
"This weekend the Mercedes will revert to the original suspension layout, which gives a wheelbase some 5 cm shorter than the Barcelona car, because of the tight nature of Monaco’s corners. The longer wheelbase car will return in Turkey."

[Edited 2010-05-13 05:35:52]
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

sudden

Thu May 13, 2010 2:48 pm

Quoting Stealthz (Reply 36):
It appears Mercedes have reverted to the short wheelbase configuration for this weekend.

Thanks for the update mate.
When in doubt, flat out!

mt99

Thu May 13, 2010 3:14 pm

The Monaco Grand Prix!

Im surprised your not saying that its a huge waste of Gasoline  
Step into my office, baby

B747forever

Thu May 13, 2010 4:47 pm

P2 results:

http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2010/829/6732/

I watched practice 2 and I really enjoyed it. Love to see how they push their cars on this track. Cant wait until race day.
Work Hard, Fly Right

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Thu May 13, 2010 8:30 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 39):
I watched practice 2 and I really enjoyed it.

The races as TV does not give one millionth of the reality on site. It is simply undescribable.
I love those raging Bulls and all the others too.
Even watching the GP2 cars was good fun.
I have got more great pictures and more suprises came along.
Pedro de la Rosa has got to be the nicest of all drivers.
Kamui was very tired when I saw him later in the evening.
BMW Sauber is a really small team. Even their hotel is in a sleezy suburb of Monaco.
They have very little money for promotional items, no caps and the like.
ViJay Mallya had a monstrous party on his two yachts, the mega Indian Princess and the Force India, side by side.
I am too exhausted to do anything with the pictures right now. I will post them later. Patience will pay off.
More tomorrow.

waterpolodan

Thu May 13, 2010 9:03 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 40):
Even their hotel is in a sleezy suburb of Monaco.

Seems hard to believe that there is such a thing...  

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Fri May 14, 2010 7:54 am

Quoting waterpolodan (Reply 41):
Seems hard to believe that there is such a thing...

Every large urban concentration has them, including Monaco.

Posting a picture for Mark Webber fans. He gave me a friendly pat on my shoulder as he went by me, never had that from a F1 driver before! This is how I spotted him. There was nobody around when they went by.

Will be back with a lot more. I must be in and around while they are still here. Monday they will all be all gone and done.

It is interesting how Sauber paddock friend told me how they will undo the paddock on Sunday right after all is over with, put everything inside their monster mobiles, drive to Trieste and put it all on ship to be sailed to nearby Istanbul for the next race. I guess all of them will be doing the same. They will have a few days lay off time for rest in between.

B747forever

Fri May 14, 2010 7:56 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 40):
The races as TV does not give one millionth of the reality on site. It is simply undescribable.

Yeah, I am sure it is way more fantastic to be there.

Looking forward to the pics.
Work Hard, Fly Right

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Fri May 14, 2010 8:05 am

Quoting B747forever (Reply 43):
Looking forward to the pics.

I have posted a number of them on the thread already.  

B747forever

Fri May 14, 2010 8:11 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 44):
have posted a number of them on the thread already.

Yeah, have seen them. All are good. Thank you.
Work Hard, Fly Right

MIAspotter

Fri May 14, 2010 10:17 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 42):
drive to Trieste and put it all on ship to be sailed to nearby Istanbul for the next race.

Yay! I am going to be in IST on the same weekend of the F1, although I am not attending, hopefully I will be able to catch the race before my flight back to BCN on TK.

Good to see Ferrari and Alonso at the top of the practices, although we know they don´t mean much.

MadameConcorde, how is the weather looking for the race?

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Fri May 14, 2010 7:41 pm

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 46):
MadameConcorde, how is the weather looking for the race?

Should be fine. I mean no rain. Just like today, a bit windy, rather cool for this time of the year, cold after sunset, cloudy but not too much. We saw a good bit of rain yesterday but the big rain fall happened during the GP2. F1 started to have drizzle toward the end of P2 then it stopped and it was pouring down during the GP2 racing.

Saw more drivers today. Buemi, Petrov, Kamui 3 times, Vettel, Kubica and others. Shcumi is not nice. Lots of people waiting to see him at the garages and calling for him "schumi schumi" but every time he runs and hides and refuses to sign anything to the booings of the fans. He did this two times this afternoon. Very disappointing as many of those who wanted signatures came from the world over including Japan and Taiwan and pay a lot of money to see these drivers. The drivers would not be anybody without the public and their numerous fans worldwide. It is hideous of him to run away from his fans the way he does.

Sir Jackie stewart signed lots of photos and programs to many people. This is what I call being a gentleman. We saw Frank Williams going by in his weelchair. I also saw Domenicali and later Peter Sauber at the BMW Sauber. I did not see Hammy at all today but I had some good viewings of the McLarens. They are absolutely magnificent cars.

I did noit stay for the parties, no Rascasse or other bars I was much too tired. I hope to go to some tomorrow night. It should be big tomorrow night. Got lots of pix in the garages and lots of other things too. I am just back so I will have to sort the out. It was really difficult to take pictures with the sun constantly in my face.

All good pictures will be posted on this thread at some time or other. I will see what I can catch tomorrow.

Aesma

Sat May 15, 2010 9:28 am

Big crash for Alonso ! The car is in bad shape.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aesma

Sat May 15, 2010 10:39 am

Best time for Kubica, bring it on !

The traffic is awful when everybody is on the track, Q1 will be a nightmare.

There was almost nobody in the grandstands, I wish I would've been there.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams