NIKV69
Topic Author

Fedddy Adu Not In This Years WC?

Wed May 12, 2010 6:29 pm

I know the media is usually just itching for people like this and back when when they hailed him as the new Pele I think we all were a little skeptical but man has this guy been a dud. Can't even make the WC squad for the US?

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/wor...ng--fbintl,ro-freddyadu051110.html
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

TIA

RE: Fedddy Adu Not In This Years WC?

Wed May 12, 2010 9:15 pm

Couldn't agree more. He has been a big disappointment. I saw him play last Summer in DC when the US played Honduras, and I was not impressed. It was only one game, but I don't think he has excelled anywhere else.

Alias1024

Wed May 12, 2010 9:50 pm

The talent is there. The problem is that he hasn't been getting consistent playing time at the club level and he has the misfortune of playing the position that the US has the most depth at. If he could competently play as a left fullback he'd be on the team.

It finally looked like he had gotten on track after a great performance at the U-20 World Cup in 2007. Based on his performance there he made the move to Benfica, only to see the manager that brought him in fired. Suddenly he was out of favor and couldn't get off the bench. He managed to get a loan to Monaco to get more playing time, only to see that manager fired too, once again leaving him out of favor. That's why he made the move to Greece, hoping that going to a lower level league would result in more playing time. So far it's worked, but it has been too little, too late given the midfield depth the US has.

I think we will see him in the 2014 World Cup. He's finally getting some solid playing time. As the work ethic and experience finally catches up to the talent, he'll move into a consistent role with the US national team. I can see him splitting his time between playing on the wing and filling in for Michael Bradley in central midfield.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed May 12, 2010 9:52 pm

Quoting TIA (Reply 1):
Couldn't agree more. He has been a big disappointment. I saw him play last Summer in DC when the US played Honduras, and I was not impressed. It was only one game, but I don't think he has excelled anywhere else.

No he can't even make to the elite leagues in Europe. I kind of wanted to see him on the big stage to see how be played. Disappointed.

BlueElephant

Wed May 12, 2010 11:52 pm

Wasn't Adu supposed to be in the Inter Milan training department when he was really young but then chose to pick up a Nike sponsor ship instead?

If he would have grown his game in Europe he would have been in a much better place right now...he's completely over rated, especially when you look at people like Bojan, Pedro and Messi of Barca. All of which are his age.

N1120A

Thu May 13, 2010 3:09 am

The main disappointment about Adu is that he never grew like they thought he would. He is basically the same size he was at 14. They thought Adu would grow over 6' and fill out to near 200 pounds of lean muscle and be a power center forward in the Alan Shearer mold, only with perhaps better feet. It didn't happen, and he never had the pace of other guys his size in the US program like Donovan and Beasley.

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 4):
Wasn't Adu supposed to be in the Inter Milan training department when he was really young but then chose to pick up a Nike sponsor ship instead?

His mother wanted him to get a decent high school education, which she didn't feel was possible in the training department of an EU club. She also wanted to keep him close to home, as he was only 14 when he turned pro.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 3):

No he can't even make to the elite leagues in Europe

Benfica isn't exactly chopped liver.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

BlueElephant

Thu May 13, 2010 3:26 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 5):
Benfica isn't exactly chopped liver.

Yes but Benfica doesn't play him...he's been on loan for 2 years.

fxramper

Thu May 13, 2010 3:40 am

The main disappointment about Adu is that he never grew like they thought he would. He is basically the same size he was at 14.

Size doesn't matter in soccer.

The main problem with Adu is his attitude. That is why he's benched on his club team most the time and has been black balled on the national team. He had a sour attitude about his play time in the beginning and US coach's benched him for it. He never cleaned up his act and his career has suffered as a result of it. He doesn't deserve a spot on the US WC training camp squad and will remain a bust for the rest of his career. How about sympathies to a player that deserves to be in the US WC training camp; Charlie Davies.   

Alias1024

Thu May 13, 2010 4:05 am

The main disappointment about Adu is that he never grew like they thought he would. He is basically the same size he was at 14. They thought Adu would grow over 6' and fill out to near 200 pounds of lean muscle and be a power center forward in the Alan Shearer mold, only with perhaps better feet. It didn't happen, and he never had the pace of other guys his size in the US program like Donovan and Beasley.

If I were coaching Freddy Adu, I'd move him up front and tell him to park his ass in the film room and watch tape of Gianfranco Zola.

Zola wasn't very tall and wasn't blisteringly fast, but he made up for it with great feet and creativity. Those are the same strengths and weaknesses that Adu has.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Thu May 13, 2010 6:15 am

True but Romario was a midget and he compensated with sick moves and an unbelievable skill in finishing. Adu just never really developed the skills everyone thought he had.

BlueElephant

Thu May 13, 2010 5:00 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 9):
True but Romario was a midget and he compensated with sick moves and an unbelievable skill in finishing. Adu just never really developed the skills everyone thought he had.

Two words about short people and football: Leo Messi

N1120A

Thu May 13, 2010 5:05 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 6):

Yes but Benfica doesn't play him...he's been on loan for 2 years.

He actually played well when he got a chance at Benfica. Also, it says something that Monaco is one of the teams that took him on loan.

Quoting fxramper (Reply 7):

Size doesn't matter in soccer.

Completely untrue. It really depends on the game you play. For Messi, his size doesn't matter. For Alan Shearer, size was his game. Take a look at Cristiano Ronaldo and tell me that the strength in that guy's frame makes no difference.

How about sympathies to a player that deserves to be in the US WC training camp; Charlie Davies.

Oh, there is no doubt there. Further, losing Davies might have cost us our best chance ever at winning. That guy is f'ing brilliant and came basically out of nowhere.

The main problem with Adu is his attitude. That is why he's benched on his club team most the time and has been black balled on the national team. He had a sour attitude about his play time in the beginning and US coach's benched him for it.

Well, you can't blame him in some ways. Since before he finished puberty, the guy was lauded as the next best player in the world. That kind of stuff will mess up someone's head.

Adu just never really developed the skills everyone thought he had.

He has the feet and creativity, as mentioned above. The problem is, he tries to play a game that doesn't suit his skill. The other issue is that the current US squad is built primarily on raw speed, which doesn't suit him.

True but Romario was a midget and he compensated with sick moves and an unbelievable skill in finishing.

Romario wasn't slow.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss