Topic Author

Washington, D.C.'s New Groove

Fri May 14, 2010 2:58 pm

There have been quite a few articles like this one above since Obama was inaugurated, including one about two weeks ago about Obama's 20-something staffers and where they hang out. The basic gist of them is that DC is "hip" now. Never mind that gentrification has been in full swing here for a decade or so....But nonetheless, the last year or two has seen a remarkable number of new restaurants, condos, etc opening. Parts of DC are just not recognizable from what they were a few years back!

I thought I'd share this article because it touches upon a lot of different aspects of the changes in DC, which I find to be one of the most pleasant American cities in many ways. One interesting thing that I have observed--many of these new restaurants are packed all the time now. It makes me wonder about the places were people used to be going to!
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

RE: Washington, D.C.'s New Groove

Sun May 16, 2010 8:02 pm

DC has become a great place. I'm excited to be moving to the NoVA area next weekend!

RE: Washington, D.C.'s New Groove

Sun May 16, 2010 8:31 pm

I just moved to DC a few months back, so while I have nothing to compare to, the long-term residents I meet tell me, "ten years ago, it was completely different." There was a time when Washington was an empty shell but for the government? When it was so crime-ridden that three quarters of the city was off limits at night? I don't believe it.

It's a great city, and the people here are like nowhere else. I can walk down the street to a nice bar, get some good beer, and have a coherent conversation about anything from Kyrgyz export policies to quantum field theory to dialects of Kri. And for a political junkie, there is no place like it -- everyone comes here, everyone.

DC still has a ways to go. A lot of the buildings -- I mean a lot, all over the city -- look put together by the lowest bidder in the '70s; it doesn't have that organic feel of many other tightly-knit American cities, like New York or Boston. Large swaths of the city are still pretty sketchy at night, and the city government -- I'm looking at you, Metro -- leaves something to be desired. Washington will never be considered charming.

On the other hand, I'm in Kabul now, so who the hell am I to complain.