User avatar
Topic Author
Posts: 6586
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:35 am

Dave Clark Headset Experts Please

Wed May 19, 2010 3:52 am

I have a pair of Dave Clark headsets that is for two-way radio use, but I would like to know if I can change the power jack to a low-impedance(military) jack for use for ground ops with the Air Force. Can that be done if I got one of the comm/nav people to change it or is something else about this headset prevents it being as such?

Made from jets!
Posts: 10836
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 12:04 pm

RE: Dave Clark Headset Experts Please

Thu May 20, 2010 7:59 pm

I know a guy who said he did just that, but he fixed it so that his cans didn't work in his airplane. He also said they told him that he'd voided his warranty (not that it's much use anyway after the initial period).

There ought to be, however, a switch you can get similar to the ones in use with the MSA/COMTACs set up for two way comms. Check their websites with Peltor and MSA/Sordin. Look for the switches that are usually vest mounted. I don't know how much room you have on your equipment vest, or if you wear it in flight, but it's an idea.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?
Posts: 1091
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2001 8:24 am

RE: Dave Clark Headset Experts Please

Fri May 21, 2010 1:38 am

I've seen several "low impedance" converters sold for headsets. has multiple versions for different configurations and plugs. Check out the PA-87.

I think it would be a lot easier than trying to actually convert the headset, and it will still work great in your GA aircraft this way. Of course, its something else to carry and they require a 9V battery to run the converter, but if it works (I've been told they do) it sounds like exactly what you need.

[Edited 2010-05-20 18:41:05]
CFI--Certfied Freakin Idiot

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CollegeAviator, desertjets, einsteinboricua, izbtmnhd, LittleFokker, qf789, seb146 and 13 guests