Aaron747
Topic Author

Russia And China Approve Expanded Iran Sanctions

Thu May 20, 2010 12:57 am

So it appears the Obama administration has actually won a coup of sorts at the UN with now full backing from Russia and China on a comprehensive sanctions package against Iran.

The new draft being considered by the Security Council foresees cargo ship inspections and new banking controls.

It would also expand an arms embargo and measures against Iran's banking sector as well as ban sensitive overseas activities like uranium mining and developing ballistic missiles.

The draft has the blessing of all five veto-wielding permanent members of the Security Council, plus Germany -- a significant boon to the US after months spent trying to persuade Moscow and particularly Beijing to come on board.

China's backing of a fourth round of sanctions against Iran came despite its earlier support for the fuel swap deal.

"We attach importance to and support this agreement," Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Ma Zhaoxu said after Monday's accord was struck.

Naturally the Iranian Foreign Ministry is downplaying this development by claiming sanctions don't matter to them, (and perhaps that's very well the case) but we shall see what unfolds from this point on. The holdouts on the council now appear to be Brazil and Turkey, who are convinced that sanctions will lead to further escalation though there are obviously political dimensions to their views.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100519...wl_mideast_afp/irannuclearpolitics
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Francoflier

RE: Russia And China Approve Expanded Iran Sanctions

Thu May 20, 2010 3:21 am

That's a good sign.

Ever since China has become a major player on the international diplomacy front they have tried hard to remain as neutral as they possibly could be, especially in regard to those rogue countries they have economic ties with.
I guess they might be slowly realizing that they just can't maintain such neutrality, although I don't expect them to ever align completely with the western nations on most topics.

Let's see what they'll say about N Korea now that it has been proved they willfully sank the Cheonan.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

TheCommodore

RE: Russia And China Approve Expanded Iran Sanctions

Thu May 20, 2010 3:23 am

Quoting francoflier (Reply 1):
Ever since China has become a major player on the international diplomacy front they have tried hard to remain as neutral as they possibly could be, especially in regard to those rogue countries they have economic ties with.

Down here, we call them "fence sitters" !!  
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”