Stealthz
Topic Author

F1 2010, Grand Prix Of Turkey

Tue May 25, 2010 9:02 am

With only 5 days to go it seemed time to get some discussion going.

Is it just me or is there a distinct lack of controversy this year(the fracas over the Monaco Safety Car not withstanding)?

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

bill142

RE: F1 2010, Grand Prix Of Turkey

Tue May 25, 2010 9:15 am

Quoting Stealthz (Thread starter):
Is it just me or is there a distinct lack of controversy this year(the fracas over the Monaco Safety Car not withstanding)?

Yes there hasn't been a McLarenGate yet.

MadameConcorde

Tue May 25, 2010 9:23 am

Thank you for opening the new thread. It will seem strange to see them all on a screen again and not being there in person...  
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

GrahamHill

Tue May 25, 2010 10:37 am

Thanks for opening the thread!

Will you complain about it?  

Turkey is probably the only Tilke circuit I really enjoy. Probably the exception that confirms the rules 

Turn 8 (triple turn, actually) is really interesting. The two turns I don't like, on the other hand, are turns 13 and 14. They are too slow and "break" the rythm. But that's a personal point of view  
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

B747forever

Tue May 25, 2010 11:04 am

Really looking forward to this weekend.

As Massa seems to love this track I wonder if he can win the race.
Work Hard, Fly Right

sudden

Tue May 25, 2010 11:31 am

With only 5 days to go it seemed time to get some discussion going.

Good thinking mate!

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 3):
Turn 8 (triple turn, actually) is really interesting

This and Eau Rouge at Spa are 2 of the best on the calendar for me.

Quoting B747forever (Reply 4):
As Massa seems to love this track I wonder if he can win the race

Massa has lost much of his momentum me think. For a valid reason though, if the accident is the reason.
I would not put my money on him. Besides, Ferrari need to catch RBR to start with. Mclaren has one of the fastest cars when it comes to top speed, so lets see what they can pull out of the hat as well.

I think RBR/Vettel will take home this one.

Webber might change team for 2011!?
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83818

Although it's very early days, why does he come out and say this? To me ik makes no sense really. On the other hand, winning 2 races back2back doesn't make you a champ, but just after Monaco GP there were articles about RBR wanting to sign him up for another year.
Or is it simply that RBR want to have the freedom to sign Raikkonen if he wants to return, maybe.
I know I know, it's even too early to even speculate, but fun it is. 
When in doubt, flat out!

Stealthz
Topic Author

Tue May 25, 2010 1:05 pm

Quoting sudden (Reply 5):
Although it's very early days, why does he come out and say this?

I am not sure he actually did say it, I think it was his way of saying that he had not YET re-signed with RBR and that nothing is ever 100% certain in this world.

On the other hand, based on his current performance it would have been easy to re-sign with RBR but if he continues to dominate races (more importantly dominate Vettel) in such a manner for a couple more events he could likely write his own cheque at any team on the grid!

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

sudden

Tue May 25, 2010 2:01 pm

Quoting Stealthz (Reply 6):
On the other hand, based on his current performance it would have been easy to re-sign with RBR but if he continues to dominate races (more importantly dominate Vettel) in such a manner for a couple more events he could likely write his own cheque at any team on the grid!

Yeah I guess. A bit like what Button did really.
More importantly though, I am mot so sure that Webber will be able to dominate Vettel. Webber has for sure shown that he means business. But how far will it bring, me wonder.
When in doubt, flat out!

B747forever

Tue May 25, 2010 7:01 pm

Massa has lost much of his momentum me think

Yeah, he doesnt seem strong enough to win this race.

I think RBR/Vettel will take home this one.

Vettel really needs this win.
Work Hard, Fly Right

waterpolodan

Tue May 25, 2010 11:14 pm

On a related note, in a completely surprising move, Austin, Texas has reached an agreement to host the USGP for 10 years starting in 2012. Of all the places to hold a race, I never even considered Austin... that said, if the track is nice I'll definitely be going as it's a great city and much closer for me to reach than Montreal, which is my usual yearly race weekend trek (I live in Miami).

sudden

Wed May 26, 2010 6:43 am

Quoting waterpolodan (Reply 9):
I live in Miami

Miami!? And still you have not invited us to come and relax at the beach and have a few cold ones. Shame on you!
When in doubt, flat out!

bill142

Wed May 26, 2010 8:46 am

Quoting sudden (Reply 10):
Miami!? And still you have not invited us to come and relax at the beach and have a few cold ones. Shame on you!

I agree. Where's our invite? I propose the 2012 US F1 meet be at Waterpolodans place in Miami then a road trip to Austin.

GrahamHill

Wed May 26, 2010 8:57 am

Quoting sudden (Reply 10):

I totally agree with that comment. Invite us!

Quoting bill142 (Reply 11):
I agree. Where's our invite? I propose the 2012 US F1 meet be at Waterpolodans place in Miami then a road trip to Austin.

That would be cool!

sudden

Wed May 26, 2010 10:29 am

Quoting bill142 (Reply 11):
I propose the 2012 US F1 meet be at Waterpolodans place in Miami then a road trip to Austin.

I checked my agenda, and I have nothing that year so far. Suits me just fine.

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 12):
Invite us!

Simple as that! 
When in doubt, flat out!

bill142

Wed May 26, 2010 10:35 am

Quoting sudden (Reply 13):
I checked my agenda, and I have nothing that year so far. Suits me just fine.

Then it's agreed. We'll road trip through the southern states with NASCAR Sucks painted on the back of the car. Or maybe not.

waterpolodan

Wed May 26, 2010 11:47 am

We can buy a few junkers at a car dealer in Hialeah, then do a series of wacky track tests at Moroso speedway in Palm Beach with Fat Stig, followed by a trip off the main highways to hurricane ravaged New Orleans with plenty of racism and insults thrown out along the way! For anyone that doesn't watch top gear, that won't make any sense to you, but for anyone that does- I loved that episode, especially because I made that same exact drive 2 or 3 times a year when I was going to college in New Orleans, and I've been to Moroso plenty of times, minus the 1980s Cadillac with a cow on the roof.

On a related note, you guys are all welcome to come to Miami any time, just don't bring anything related to Hamilton or Mclaren anywhere near my house!  

GrahamHill

Wed May 26, 2010 12:08 pm

Quoting waterpolodan (Reply 15):
On a related note, you guys are all welcome to come to Miami any time, just don't bring anything related to Hamilton or Mclaren anywhere near my house!

What if I bring his girlfriend?

waterpolodan

Wed May 26, 2010 12:30 pm

Damnit, you had to bring that up. She and I have a history, so I'd prefer not to see her around   I wish!   

I don't know how much American TV you follow, Graham, but my mom loves a show called "Dancing with the Stars", where LH's girlfriend is one of the finalists (or may have already won? not sure...) and she looks absolutely absurdly good in the skimpy outfits they wear, not that I've ever watched it or anything  

My mom called me last week freaking out because apparently Hamilton was on the set for the show and nobody knew who he was other that "Nicole's race driver boyfriend, who appears to be much shorter than her".

Good thing that guy is most likely gay, otherwise Hammy would be jealous!  

sudden

Wed May 26, 2010 1:22 pm

Quoting bill142 (Reply 14):
We'll road trip through the southern states with NASCAR Sucks painted on the back of the car. Or maybe not.

That should do the trick. I just went out and sprayed my car with that text just to get my creativity going.
Hm, this spray can didn't come with a backspace button.  
On a related note, you guys are all welcome to come to Miami any time

Riiight, now it's too late for sweet talk. We have already booked the tickets.

We can buy a few junkers at a car dealer in Hialeah, then do a series of wacky track tests at Moroso speedway in Palm Beach with Fat Stig, followed by a trip off the main highways to hurricane ravaged New Orleans with plenty of racism and insults thrown out along the way!

hahaha.....awsome! But instead of fat Stig I think we will have to do with fat GrahamHill instead.
When in doubt, flat out!

GrahamHill

Wed May 26, 2010 1:33 pm

Quoting waterpolodan (Reply 17):
I don't know how much American TV you follow, Graham, but my mom loves a show called "Dancing with the Stars", where LH's girlfriend is one of the finalists (or may have already won? not sure...)

I have to say I'm not too much a TV person. Apart from sports (soccer, rugby, basketball, motorsports, etc.), I mostly watch National Geographic and the Discovery channels, but I think they are the UK versions. So all the shows like the one of Hamilton's girlfriend are totally unknown to me.

Quoting waterpolodan (Reply 17):
My mom called me last week freaking out because apparently Hamilton was on the set for the show and nobody knew who he was other that "Nicole's race driver boyfriend, who appears to be much shorter than her

Ouch, not good for his ego 

GrahamHill

Wed May 26, 2010 1:50 pm

Quoting sudden (Reply 18):
sprayed my car with that text just to get my creativity going.

I hope you wrote "Graham is the best"   

We have already booked the tickets.

At your expenses, like we said?

I think we will have to do with fat GrahamHill instead.

What?! What?! What?!!   

codeshare

Wed May 26, 2010 2:48 pm

It's going to be Red Bulls at the front with McLaren, Ferrari and Merc following and then rest of the field headed by Kubica  . Probably. There's going to be new parts and problems so the order should be different.

I doubt whether Massa will win here again, Ferrari is showing variable form. Maybe the Schumi will have a go at a good result. McL f-duct will help on the straights.

KS/codeshare
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

BlueElephant

Wed May 26, 2010 6:18 pm

Quoting bill142 (Reply 14):
Then it's agreed. We'll road trip through the southern states with NASCAR Sucks painted on the back of the car. Or maybe not.

I'll come with the Cow attached to the roof of my Toyota Camry.

Good to hear F1 is coming back to the states.

Although I think it would have brought in a larger crowd if they kept it in the Northeast somewhere. Imagine an F1 race track out near Princeton, NJ. Lots of land and very easy to get to.

GrahamHill

Wed May 26, 2010 6:23 pm

I dream of an F1 race in Road America.

sudden

Wed May 26, 2010 7:52 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 20):
I hope you wrote "Graham is the best"

I even went as far as using your real name. No, not allowed to do that? Well, you should have told me earlier.

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 20):
At your expenses, like we said?

Sort of. I used my lady's credit card. So when she finds out I can blame you guys.

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 22):
Good to hear F1 is coming back to the states.

I think so as well. But is there a real demand for it from the people? I mean, there they have CART, NASCAR and other major series, so I can imagine that there is enough to satisfy most of the US people.
As far as I know, there is about 2-3 US members that takes part in these threads. Not to base the interest from that, but still.
When in doubt, flat out!

Stealthz
Topic Author

Fri May 28, 2010 3:51 am

With Kubica pretty definately staying at Renault and Webber increasingly likely to re-sign for another year at Red Bull, Ferrari's Stefano Domenicali is saying they are likely to retain Massa for 2011.

I wonder if that is really "keeping" Massa or will just happen because without Webber or Kubica there are no real alternatives.
Then again, Massa being Brazilian might also affect the decision process!

Cheers

flood

Fri May 28, 2010 6:30 am

Some of you may recall I haven't had the chance to follow F1 in recent years and only returned to the scene this season.

Anyway, so I just stumbled upon a blog on CNN and came across this image:

"Only six cars lined up on the grid for the 2005 US Grand Prix in Indianapolis. "

Courtesy of CNN: "Is America Interested in Formula 1?"
http://worldsport.blogs.cnn.com/2010...america-interested-in-formula-one/

WTF, lol... this blew my freaking mind.

Now, I imagine you're all quite familiar with this event, but I had no idea. Aside from the caption, there was a mere sentence in reference to the boycott. In disbelief, I ended up on youtube and, quite frankly, didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Blame and finger-pointing aside, what an embarassment for F1 in the US.

lol @ the booing, can't blame them!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mQW7-516Ig

for anyone else not familiar with the events of Indianapolis 2005, a blurb from the beeb:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/4109292.stm

Anyway, on with Turkey.

Stealthz
Topic Author

Fri May 28, 2010 6:54 am

Quoting flood (Reply 26):
this blew my freaking mind.

Blew a lot of freaking minds at the time as well.

Michelin made some serious errors and admitted as much, but there were alternatives offered.
Ferrari and the FIA (whatever you believe it stands for!) killed F1 in the USA that day, it had been on life support for some time but they pulled the plug out of sheer arrogance and foolhardiness!

I hope the Austin project works and F1 once again becomes part of the US racing scene but I fear there is a little too much Ecclestone cronieism involved... hope I am wrong!

Cheers

B747forever

Fri May 28, 2010 7:52 am

Quoting Stealthz (Reply 25):
With Kubica pretty definately staying at Renault

If he gets a offer from Ferrari do you really think he will say no to it?
Work Hard, Fly Right

sudden

Fri May 28, 2010 8:05 am

WTF

Many of us said just the same that day when all the michelin cars pulled in to the pit after the warm-up lap.
On Dutch TV you are allowed to use bad language, so what Stoddart and other teams said when talking live to our commentator can not be written here.
Indeed a black day in F1's history.
When in doubt, flat out!

flood

Fri May 28, 2010 8:09 am

Quoting Stealthz (Reply 27):

I just listened to a great interview with Paul Stoddart. Epic, lol!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY7IdWpqYXI

I hope the Austin project works

Same here. I'd much rather see them race on the East or West coast but whatever works is fine with me.

We have already booked the tickets.

Would love to join you, if anything to present you with a nice Schumi beach towel lol

MadameConcorde

Fri May 28, 2010 8:09 am

The practice is on. Very nice images via Internet feed - only the comment is in Russian. No worry I know these boyz and their cars very well...

I hope this weekend will see a McLaren win but again no one will know until the very end of the race.

Go Hammy! Go Kamui! Go Pedro!

The gossip says that Hammy got both his ears pierced in Los Angeles.
I tought piercings were not allowed in F1?

flood

Fri May 28, 2010 8:11 am

Quoting sudden (Reply 29):
so what Stoddart and other teams said when talking live to our commentator can not be written here.

Yeah, just witnessed that myself, lol.

Quoting sudden (Reply 29):
a black day in F1's history.

Absolutely!

MadameConcorde

Fri May 28, 2010 8:30 am

Sutil skid he ended in the gravel and hit the barrier. He got out of his car without too much harm to himself apparently. The car looks in really bad shape.

End of P1.

P1 results

1 Great Britain L Hamilton McLaren
2 Great Britain J Button McLaren
3 Germany M Schumacher Mercedes
4 Germany N Rosberg Mercedes
5 Germany S Vettel Red Bull
6 Poland R Kubica Renault
7 Russia V Petrov Renault
8 Australia M Webber Red Bull
9 Spain F Alonso Ferrari
10 Germany A Sutil Force India
11 Japan K Kobayashi BMW Sauber
12 Italy V Liuzzi Force India
13 Brazil F Massa Ferrari
14 Switzerland S Buemi Toro Rosso
15 Spain P de la Rosa BMW Sauber
16 Germany N Hulkenberg Williams
17 Brazil R Barrichello Williams
18 Spain J Alguersuari Toro Rosso
19 Finland H Kovalainen Lotus
20 Italy J Trulli Lotus
21 India K Chandhok Hispania
22 Germany T Glock Virgin
23 Brazil B Senna Hispania

airplane 

[Edited 2010-05-28 01:32:58]

flood

Fri May 28, 2010 8:46 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 33):

1 Great Britain L Hamilton McLaren
2 Great Britain J Button McLaren
3GermanyM SchumacherMercedes
4GermanyN RosbergMercedes
5GermanyS VettelRed Bull
6PolandR KubicaRenault
7RussiaV PetrovRenault
8AustraliaM WebberRed Bull
9SpainF AlonsoFerrari

Pity that wasn't qualifying. Just swap 1 and 8 and I'd be happy  

cornish

Fri May 28, 2010 10:26 am

Quoting B747forever (Reply 28):
Quoting Stealthz (Reply 25):
With Kubica pretty definately staying at Renault

If he gets a offer from Ferrari do you really think he will say no to it?

Yes if Red Bull offer him a drive he might just prefer that as a better option....
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

MadameConcorde

Fri May 28, 2010 10:44 am

Force India on Twitter: Adrian back to the garage, he said he had understeer and went off into the marbles, which then put him into the barriers. He is fine despite it being an off into Turn Eight, the quickest part of the track."

waterpolodan

Fri May 28, 2010 12:34 pm

Ferrari and the FIA (whatever you believe it stands for!) killed F1 in the USA that day, it had been on life support for some time but they pulled the plug out of sheer arrogance and foolhardiness!

I love how people can take a catastrophic failure on the part of Michelin and turn it into Ferrari killing F1 in the US. The blame is 100% at Michelin's doorstep, not at Ferrari's... I guarantee you that if Birdgestone had been the team with the tyre problem and asked for a chance to have a chicane installed in the final corner or a new batch sent from Japan that wouldn't blow up at high load, the Michelin teams would have blocked the move and we would have had a race without Ferrari, Jordan, and Minardi, which in hindsight would have been better because there would be more cars on the grid! Maybe it didn't seem "sporting" to you or many others out there, but Ferrari were sticking to the letter of the rules, despite the fact that it was an absolute embarrassment for the sport in general.

MadameConcorde

Fri May 28, 2010 12:45 pm

End of Second Practice.

Karun Chandok went into a serious slide but he got back on track without much trouble.

Massa made a big spin.and wrecked his tyres. Could see smoke coming out of them. The track must be really hot.

About 5 minutes from the end Webber has an engine breakdown which forced him to roll backwards. He got mad at the race stewards who would not help him get out of his car. Could be an engine failure.

Button is still the fastest.

P2 results.

1 Great Britain J Button McLaren
2 Australia M Webber Red Bull
3 Germany S Vettel Red Bull
4 Great Britain L Hamilton McLaren
5 Spain F Alonso Ferrari
6 Germany N Rosberg Mercedes
7 Germany M Schumacher Mercedes
8 Poland R Kubica Renault
9 Russia V Petrov Renault
10 Brazil F Massa Ferrari
11 Germany A Sutil Force India
12 Germany N Hulkenberg Williams
13 Japan K Kobayashi BMW Sauber
14 Spain P de la Rosa BMW Sauber
15 Switzerland S Buemi Toro Rosso
16 Italy V Liuzzi Force India
17 Brazil R Barrichello Williams
18 Spain J Alguersuari Toro Rosso
19 Finland H Kovalainen Lotus
20 Brazil L di Grassi Virgin
21 Italy J Trulli Lotus
22 Germany T Glock Virgin
23 Brazil B Senna Hispania
24 India K Chandhok Hispania

There seems to be problems with the Mercedes cars. I don't like Schumi although I will say give him a McLaren or a RedBull and he will beat the hell of everybody else on the track without any doubt.

Stealthz
Topic Author

Fri May 28, 2010 1:19 pm

Quoting waterpolodan (Reply 37):
Ferrari were sticking to the letter of the rules, despite the fact that it was an absolute embarrassment for the sport in general.

er.. wrong!
Like many of the rules an accomodation can be made with 100% team agreement, 9 teams agreed one did not attend the meetings.

Yes, Michelin made a huge blunder with their tyres, Michelin admitted this and offered suggestions so the race could proceed. Ferrari prevented the 100% vote.
The Bridgestone teams DID NOT block the compromise plan, ONE Bridgestome team(Ferrari) did!

I accept the cause was not of their making but there was one team that could have saved F1 in the USA* and it's reputation in general and that was Ferrari, they chose not to!

Quoting waterpolodan (Reply 37):
Ferrari were sticking to the letter of the rules,

Imagine that, how altruistic of them. Just adds to the uniqueness of the day I guess!

Regards

* Well delayed it's demise anyway!

[Edited 2010-05-28 06:27:27]

sudden

Fri May 28, 2010 2:59 pm

Quoting Stealthz (Reply 39):
there was one team that could have saved F1 in the USA* and it's reputation in general and that was Ferrari, they chose not to!

Not to kick a dead horse that's been long dead, but I agree with Waterpolodan on this one. Ferrari did not kill F1 and it's reputation in USA.
Already when it became clear that Michelin had a major issue with their tyres, the hype started. With a lot of help from media I might add. So to say that Ferrari killed F1 in USA is a comment I can't understand.

Ah well,
looking forward to the quali tomorrow. RBR will run their F-Duct as well this weekend. And on a track like this one it will be even harder to keep up with them I think.
When in doubt, flat out!

EZEIZA

Fri May 28, 2010 5:15 pm

Michelin made some serious errors and admitted as much, but there were alternatives offered.

Sorry mate, but that's complete rubbish. Why should Ferrari pay for the other teams f** ups? Why should Ferrari agree that the extra chicane should be placed when their bridgestone's were working fine as it was? There is too much money involved here, especially in a top team like Ferrari, to lose a competitive advantage because the majority of teams chose the wrong brand.
As the FIA said back then:

"To change the course in order to help some of the teams with a performance problem caused by their failure to bring suitable equipment to the race would be a breach of the rules and grossly unfair to those teams which have come to Indianapolis with the correct tyres,"

I could not agree more with the last part; it was unfair to those teams that made the correct choice.

Was it boring? yes. Was the crowd pissed? absolutely. But it was NOT Ferrar's fault. We could argue that Michelin killed F1 in the US, but never Ferrari.

Had it been the other way round, the world would be claiming Ferrari to be arrogant because they tried to put an extra chicane ....
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

B747forever

Fri May 28, 2010 6:08 pm

Quoting cornish (Reply 35):
Yes if Red Bull offer him a drive he might just prefer that as a better option....

Yeah, but Vettel will most likely stay with them next year and if they have offered Webber to stay for next season Kubica wont get any seat with RBR.
Work Hard, Fly Right

GrahamHill

Fri May 28, 2010 6:16 pm

Quoting sudden (Reply 24):
I even went as far as using your real name

Even better ! My real name followed by "is the best" sounds nice 
Quoting sudden (Reply 24):
So when she finds out I can blame you guys.

Damn...   

WTF, lol... this blew my freaking mind.

Me too! A real shame.

As for who is responsible, I would say of course Michelin who was not able to manufacture proper tyres for the track. But a little effort from everybody could have prevented this farce, and F1 to give a terrible image to the American audience.

I hope the Austin project works

Me too, although there are fantastic tracks in the US which could be used. Anyway, a GP back in the US is nothing but good news.

If only F1 could return to Argentina...

flood

Fri May 28, 2010 10:29 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 38):
I don't like Schumi although I will say give him a McLaren or a RedBull and he will beat the hell of everybody else on the track without any doubt.

Wow, even I'm not that optimistic  

It seems they switched chassis again so I look forward to seeing how he performs this weekend.

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 43):
As for who is responsible, I would say of course Michelin who was not able to manufacture proper tyres for the track. But a little effort from everybody could have prevented this farce, and F1 to give a terrible image to the American audience.

I think that's a fair assessment.

Interestingly, Nascar experienced its own tire problems in Indianapolis 2008:
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2008/07/2...napolis-2005-but-the-race-goes-on/
Sorry if this is all old news to everyone.

Oh, and wasn't it you who brought up F1 2010 for the PS3/xbox some time ago? It's looking pretty sweet and is due out in September. It's said to have some online modes but there aren't a lot of details out yet. Would be fun to battle it out with you lot online during the off season though!

[Edited 2010-05-28 15:34:15]

bill142

Fri May 28, 2010 11:33 pm

Quoting flood (Reply 44):

Oh, and wasn't it you who brought up F1 2010 for the PS3/xbox some time ago? I

I'm hoping GT5 will come out in between now and then. F1 CE is getting a little tired.

waterpolodan

Sat May 29, 2010 12:35 am

Quoting Stealthz (Reply 39):
er.. wrong!
Like many of the rules an accomodation can be made with 100% team agreement, 9 teams agreed one did not attend the meetings.

Errr... right! As you said, Ferrari didn't agree to a compromise that would bend the rules to accommodate the Michelin teams. How is that NOT sticking to the original letter of the rules? Clearly they were upholding them, and although it was for purely competitive reasons rather than altruistic goodwill towards the sport and fans at large who were hurt by the lack of agreement, they did the right thing in forcing the Michelin teams to be punished for not being properly prepared for the race. Again, you can't hold them up as the primary responsible party in something they had no hand whatsoever in creating. I'll make the same statement again- if the shoe had been on the other foot, there is no doubt the Bridgestone teams would have been left out in the cold.

Stealthz
Topic Author

Sat May 29, 2010 12:45 am

Friday sees the young "Randy Mandy" carry Vettel to within almost 2 tenths of Webber, perhaps not agreat sign for SV as he was faster than MW on Friday in Spain & Monaco.
I guess the true test will be about 11 hours from now at the end of qualifying!

Go Mark.. you can do it again!!

Quoting sudden (Reply 40):
Not to kick a dead horse that's been long dead,

Agreed, I quess we will close this by my agreeing to disagree with most of you!!

Cheers

bill142

Sat May 29, 2010 8:24 am

Quoting waterpolodan (Reply 46):
Errr... right! As you said, Ferrari didn't agree to a compromise that would bend the rules to accommodate the Michelin teams. How is that NOT sticking to the original letter of the rules?

It was a complete lack of sportsmanship. If Ferrari were really interested in beating people fair and square, they would have agreed to the changes and showed everyone up on the track. Clearly by their qualifying position in that round the weren't up to the task and chose to take the easy option. I don't think anyone disputes that Michelin are the ones to blame, but Ferrari showed the win at any cost attitude that will ruin F1.

Stealthz
Topic Author

Sat May 29, 2010 9:07 am

Quoting bill142 (Reply 48):
Clearly by their qualifying position in that round the weren't up to the task and chose to take the easy option.

It was not just that round, USA being the only GP won by the Scuderia that season they were not really up to the task all season.
That being the case and it was pretty clear that the extra points they would gain by standing on their rights were not likely to affect the result come China, makes being righteous and turning the race into a farce even more puzzling.
Curious that the other 2 Bridgestone teams with, in reality, more to gain by blocking the move voted for the changes!

Don't get me wrong guys, I agree Ferrari were within their rights to block the move, I just don't think it was the smart thing to do. Might have had a touch more respect for their position if they actually attended the meeting and voted though.

Cheers