Elite
Topic Author

Travelers: Passports In Hotel Or On You?

Tue May 25, 2010 10:25 am

Interesting question that came up during the debate over the Arizona immigration law regarding proof of legal entry into the United States (please do not debate about that issue here); do you keep your passport in the hotel or on you at all times? What are your reasons for doing so? I've always left mine in the hotel but I've been wondering whether it would be a good idea to start carrying it around just in case anything happens.

vandenheuvel

RE: Travelers: Passports In Hotel Or On You?

Tue May 25, 2010 10:39 am

I always carry it with me. I think my wallet is a safer place than any hotel room. In The Netherlands and probably most other country's, your obligated to always carry a official identification license on you. In The Netherlans my drivers license is enough. I understand my Dutch license is not valid for this purpose abroad. Therefore I carry my passport all the time. I do not see a problem in this.

falstaff

Tue May 25, 2010 11:30 am

Depends were I am at. If I getting loaded in a bar I don't carry it with me. If am out and about where I might need some ID I'll carry it.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

Flyer732

Tue May 25, 2010 11:33 am

Depends where I am, if I'm in Europe I usually carry my drivers license with me, and leave the passport in my room. If I'm in some of the more dangerous places I frequent I'll carry a copy of my passport on me, and the real copy in my room hidden.
But of course there are countries (like Russia) where there are frequent spot checks of foreigners, so you're obligated to carry it at all times there.

I travel for a living, and have a pretty good idea of where I need to keep it on me, and where I'm better off with it locked up.

swissy

Tue May 25, 2010 11:35 am

always leave it @ the hotels... our Euro trips the same, never had any issues, driver license ok so far..., do not visit the US anymore just because of the %#*..... lately way too much hassle for me to get in to the US, but pre 9/11 I left them always in the hotels...

Cheerios,

Goldenshield

Tue May 25, 2010 11:49 am

I'd like to expand this to if the hotel is mobile, i.e., a ship.

On every cruise I've taken so far, I've left my passport on the ship, and have my driver's license on me for ID.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

gatorfan

Tue May 25, 2010 3:09 pm

original in the hotel safe. color photocopy of the first page with me in my wallet. high quality scanned image of the first two pages in a web accessible e-mail account in case I ever need to forward it. It's much easier to get a new passport if you have an image. Nobody who has ever asked for my passport overseas has ever had an issue with the photocopy. It's even gotten me access into a US embassy in Hong Kong and a consule in Sao Paulo.

einsteinboricua

Tue May 25, 2010 5:08 pm

When I was in Europe a few years ago, I always carried my passport. The last thing I needed was to have an emergency and no way to prove my nationality. However, on cruise ships, it's a different story. I only need the passport when arriving at St. Thomas or boarding in San Juan. For everything else, my room key acts as ID.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

OA260

Tue May 25, 2010 8:58 pm

Always at my hotel room safe, in fact I wouldnt stay at a hotel without a room safe .

StarAC17

Wed May 26, 2010 12:30 am

In the hotel in the safe or hidden among things that was make it hard to find or be undesired by a thief. I do have a copy in my wallet and if anyone asks me to prove my nationality I will gladly take them to where the passport is.

I have lost it for a week when I needlessly carried it with me when I didn't have to.

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 5):
On every cruise I've taken so far, I've left my passport on the ship, and have my driver's license on me for ID.

Some cruise lines will hold it for you while you are on the cruise and return it to you after the cruise is over.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

andaman

Wed May 26, 2010 12:43 am

In Schengen-Europe I don't need a passport, an ID card in my wallet is enough, elsewhere I keep the passport at the hotel room.

Quoting gatorfan (Reply 6):
color photocopy of the first page with me in my wallet. high quality scanned image of the first two pages in a web accessible e-mail account in case I ever need to forward it.

Same here when outside EU.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

MCO2BRS

Wed May 26, 2010 3:10 am

I carry my passport with me wherever I go, usually I keep it in my front pocket of my jeans/shorts - and my wallet in the opposite pocket. Its always a risk carrying personal info like that with you, but I don't trust hotel safes and would rather have the responsibility of my important documents lie with me, and me alone.

Cheers

MCO 2 BRS

lowrider

Thu May 27, 2010 11:05 pm

Depends on the country. In North America and the EU, I usually just carry my driver's license and leave my passport in the hotel safe. Africa or Asia I will carry either my passport or a high quality color copy of it. The only place I have ever been challenged by authorities where I needed ID is Japan. Most of the time I just have ID on me so that, in a worst case scenerio, the hospital could ID who they are working on, or notify next of kin.
Proud OOTSK member

ShyFlyer

Thu May 27, 2010 11:17 pm

On my one (and so far only) trip abroad, I had it on my person at all times, in a separate pocket than my wallet.

Domestically, I only take it with me if I'm flying (or on job interviews that require two forms of ID). On those trips, I usually keep it in my room locked in my suitcase.
I lift things up and put them down.

photopilot

Thu May 27, 2010 11:38 pm

Quoting gatorfan (Reply 6):
original in the hotel safe. color photocopy of the first page with me in my wallet. high quality scanned image of the first two pages in a web accessible e-mail account in case I ever need to forward it. It's much easier to get a new passport if you have an image.

This is exactly what I do and have never had a problem. Hell, I travel quite often throughout Cuba and even the Cuban police have never had an issue with the photocopy of the info page. I really only ever need the original when I am taking a cash-advance on a credit card at the local bank. They want to see an original before handing over the cash. Can't say I blame them for that.

ltbewr

Fri May 28, 2010 1:48 am

In some countries, one had to (or may still have to) leave their passport with the hotel for certain police reporting requirements. Probably now they would copy or scan it for such purposes. In my experiences in Europe and elsewhere, I always carried it or a copy of the 1st page, (along with my US home state Drivers License) to cash traveler's checks, exchange money in a neck pouch.

soon7x7

Fri May 28, 2010 3:25 am

Hotel rooms are the worst place to keep anything of value...your passport is your ticket back home...Hotel employees have keys to everything...and know all the classic hiding places. ("We'll leave the light on!...and by the way, We'll watch your passport for you")...