Dreadnought
Topic Author

Canada: Excellence Shall Not Be Tolerated

Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:21 am

When will our generation understand that shielding your children from competition is just setting them up for failure?

http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/06...s-and-you-lose-ottawa-league-says/

Quote:
In yet another nod to the protection of fledgling self-esteem, an Ottawa children’s soccer league has introduced a rule that says any team that wins a game by more than five points will lose by default.

[Edited 2010-06-06 20:22:11]
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

afterburner

RE: Canada: Excellence Shall Not Be Tolerated

Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:28 am

Stupid rule. Why don't they just make a rule that stops a game whenever a team has scored five more goals than the opponent?

redflyer

Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:52 am

Makes me wonder what the ancient Mayans would say about this new 5-point rule when compared to their form of "sportsmanship"...

Quote:
The winners of the game were treated as heroes and given a great feast. The penalty for losing a game was unusually harsh: death.
http://www.socialstudiesforkids.com/...les/worldhistory/mayanballgame.htm
My other home is in the sky inside my Piper Cherokee 180.

trvyyz

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:07 am

Quoting afterburner (Reply 1):
Stupid rule. Why don't they just make a rule that stops a game whenever a team has scored five more goals than the opponent?

Can these rule makers get way with nonsense like this? To win make the opponent score more or what if the team makes a self goal?

aa61hvy

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:32 am

Talk about confusing impressionable kids...

Competition can be healthy. Just don't ever over do it (parents).

Competition can help when interviewing for a job or when you are competing in the business place against colleagues.
Go big or go home

signol

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:45 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Thread starter):
wins a game by more than five points

Given that it is football (soccer), where games are won by goals not points, it really doesn't matter how many points a team has  

This reminds me of an episode of How I Met Your Mother when Marshall becomes coach of a school basketball team, in whose matches score is never kept...

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

Fly2HMO

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:20 am

First the pussyfication of the US, now Canada, next the world....   

afterburner

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:24 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 6):
First the pussyfication of the US, now Canada, next the world...

The title of this thread should be edited. This thread is not about Canada as a country.

DeltaMD90

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:49 am

What's next? If you are too successful in life and make more money than everybody else the government will charge you extremely high taxes for your successes? Glad that doesn't happen!  
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

Kiwirob

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:43 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 6):
First the pussyfication of the US, now Canada, next the world....

Norway has already been pussyfied, kids don't get to know the score, daft because most 5 year olds can count, they know who won and who didn't.

JJJ

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:07 am

Cool. Score 5 own goals and win by default 

It's a stupid move, but seeing what some parents do to their kids in the name of competition I can understand it to a certain point.

HorizonGirl

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:17 am

Quoting JJJ (Reply 10):
It's a stupid move, but seeing what some parents do to their kids in the name of competition I can understand it to a certain point.

I understand the intention, but what is the winning team supposed to do when they get a four point lead? Stop trying?

Devon
Flying high on the Wings of the Great Northwest!

Stealthz

Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:24 am

A friend here has a son in a junior rugby team. The under 6 age group do not keep score but are taught the skills. In a further attempt to eliminate the "not all equal" issue is that their jerseys do not have numbers but letters.
This kind of back fired when, upon receiving his jersey emblazoned with a large C my friend's son immediately assumed he was the team captain.
More importantly he started acting like it, which just proves despite the best(worst) efforts of the PC crowd, the cream will always rise to the top!

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

offloaded

Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:01 pm

Except that near the end of the article it states that it is only a temporary rule....

"The new rule, suggested by “involved parents,” is a temporary measure that will be replaced by a pre-season skill assessment to make fair teams."

.... but then there'll probably be counselling made available for the kids who get picked last!
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

ronglimeng

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:07 pm

I agree with "afterburner" (Reply 7). A title edit is called for.

This story is not about Canada. It is not even about the province of Ontario, or the city of Ottawa. It may possibly be about the "Gloucester Dragons Recreational Soccer League", but probably it is only about some members of the 12-person board of directors of that league who were influenced by "involved parents" (read the link).

Some people are lazy thinkers and are just too ready to generalise on things, based on isolated events. We should put more effort into writing titles....often that is all that people read!

A332

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:20 pm

Add one more line under the 'what's wrong with the "entitlement generation"' heading.

Lame.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

JBirdAV8r

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:32 pm

Quoting JJJ (Reply 10):
Cool. Score 5 own goals and win by default

I like it! That's thinking! 
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

photopilot

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:45 pm

He Shoots.... He Scores.... He Looses.
He Shoots.... He Misses.... He Wins.

There's something basically EVIL with thinking and rules like this.

thegreatRDU

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:46 pm

Pussyfication indeed..to the max
Probably the parents of the kids that sucked anyway haha

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 8):
What's next? If you are too successful in life and make more money than everybody else the government will charge you extremely high taxes for your successes? Glad that doesn't happen!

Man nowadays who knows...
Our Returning Champion

exFATboy

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:16 pm

I can understand having some rules to de-emphasize winning for very young children, but there's a difference between "de-emphasize" and "punish". Perhaps a rule that if you build up a large lead, you have to let all your second-string players play, or that if the margin goes over 5 goals you have to pull your goalie until it drops back to 5?

Quoting signol (Reply 5):
Given that it is football (soccer), where games are won by goals not points, it really doesn't matter how many points a team has

Well, given that it is soccer, who cares...period?  

ltbewr

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:58 pm

In various USA Collegate, state High School and communtity student sports districts, there have been rules put in to prevent teams from 'running up' the score against a substantually weaker opponent. For example, some Little League groups have 'mercy' rules so that if after 5 complete innings one is up by more than 7 runs, (like 7-0) the game ends. In some sports, it the margin by one team is well above another, they requires by rule or an interpertation of general 'sportmanship' rules, that the best players must be pulled by the leading team or in football, no passing of the football by the far leading teams. Some teams that continue to show poor sportmanship by running up scores may be limited from participating in playoffs/championships.

Yes, we all like to 'win' but especially with youth sports, the healthy team activity is more important, not winning, especially by an embarassing score. That hurts more than helps the kids.

aa61hvy

Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:35 am

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 20):
Yes, we all like to 'win' but especially with youth sports, the healthy team activity is more important, not winning, especially by an embarassing score. That hurts more than helps the kids.

Really? I can't recall losses from when I was a kid. I think people are overly sensitive to this. I mean its amazing people somehow continued to live their lives before this sensitivity crap started....
Go big or go home

Mir

Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:40 am

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 20):

Mercy rules are one thing. Saying that the winning team will lose because the score was too lopsided is quite another.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ACDC8

Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:56 am

So, once life gets you beat, no biggie, mommy and daddy will change the rules so their little angel won't get a complex ... spare me  

Just a thought, but maybe the coaches and parents should be a bit more encouraging and commited after such a "defeat" and teach the kids to work harder and see the results themselves after some hard work ... oh wait, thats right, thats already been taken out of the parenting handbook.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

yooyoo

Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:55 am

My god, just pull a forward back after you get a good lead and work on some passing and positioning and defending. My daughters coach did that last week after "we" got a 6 goal lead in the second half.

Learn how to win and learn how to loose.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

CXB77L

Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:55 am

This rule is ridiculous. I disagree with any notion of handicapping the winning team when the margin is 'too much', whether it is dressed up as a "mercy rule" or any other type of handicap imposed on the leading team. Players should be allowed to play to their full potential from the start of the game to the very end, regardless of what the score is.

How is winning by a large margin "unsportsmanlike"? If the game is played fairly by the rules, and both teams have an even number of players on the field, it's a fair game as far as I'm concerned. The fact that one team happens to be stronger than the other is just life - it happens in every game, there is a winner and there is a loser. If kids do not learn how to lose, what are they going to be like in their adult life when something or somebody defeats them? Losing is part of life, they've got to learn to cope with it. If they choose to pursue a career in professional sports, there may be a time when their team will lose, and by a very big margin at that.
Boeing 777 fanboy

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:07 am

I just heard the Detroit Lions are asking for this rule to be implemented in the NFL.      

But wow, what a stupid rule. What morons came up with this rule and what morons support it?   
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

connies4ever

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:38 pm

Just a complete dumb-ass by-law. There are lots of leagues (not just in soccer) where scores aren't kept but skills are taught. I'd say in a score-keeping league if you're the coach and your side gets up by 5 or 6, well then invoke some type of mercy policy and play keep away, but to penalise a squad for being good if just stupid.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Boeing744

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:47 pm

Quoting afterburner (Reply 7):
The title of this thread should be edited. This thread is not about Canada as a country.

Agreed... This only affects a suburb of Ottawa. Moreover, it is not a "law" as some people in this thread are portraying it - rather, it's just a rule in a children's soccer league.

Newark777

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:56 pm

Quoting Boeing744 (Reply 28):

Agreed... This only affects a suburb of Ottawa. Moreover, it is not a "law" as some people in this thread are portraying it - rather, it's just a rule in a children's soccer league.

That's just playing with semantics.

Seriously, though, I've seen a number of people my age who were coddled throughout their pre-adult lives go through basically a mid-life crisis in their mid-twenties because they never realized that the real world will chew them up and spit them out and there is no one out there to protect them when they fail. And I have to say, I get a great deal of schadenfreude watching it happen.  
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

gatorfan

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:59 pm

I coach my daughter's (8 year old) soccer team and I can tell you that the kids learn a HELL of a lot more about themselves when they lose, than when they win.

Though we're a really good team and undefeated (11-0) going into one particular game, we got are asses handed to us because the kids were overconfident, tired (day after halloween) and unfocused. We were down 6-0 at halftime. The kids were crying, most of them wanted to forefeit (including some parents) and call it a day.

I told them that the measure of a person is how they deal with adversity and there was no way we'd walk off that field as quitters. I told them to go out there, forget about the first half and play as if the score was 0-0 and do the best they could do.

The final score was 8-2 but I was never more proud of the team than that day. The kids busted their ass in the second half and learned that true success is determined by how you feel about yourself.

This rule is horrible. It destroys everything that's good about sports and punishes the wrong people. If you want to punish someone, then the coach should bear the responsibility no the children.