Airstud
Topic Author

Ways To Dial Home Comp. Via Verizon Modem

Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:53 am

Let's say I have a MicroVAX/VAXstation dealy in my apartment, and in the days when Plain Ol' Telephone Service (POTS) was more commonplace than 'tis today, I could dial up. Just run an RJ11 cable out of the V.90 modem jack on an old laptop, fire up the term em software, and voilà; I'm connected.

Here at my new job, it seems POTS lines are tough to find (and if they're here, I'm too new to feel comfortable monkeying with any wires, even plug-n-play). We're 3 levels below street so there's no cell service except via Verizon; they've got a thingy in our ops center.

So if I signed up with Verizon, and got some cellular modem type dealy to plug into the USB or PCMCIA port on my ThinkPad R50, would I be able to dial up my home VAX just like I used to do over POTS? I am suspecting there'd be problems since the signal out of the Verizon card is digital (isn't it?) and the modem the VAX is hooked up to is analog. Unless the Verizon card is just digitizing an audio signal that the VAX's modem can understand?

If my fears are correct and this won't work, any other recommendations for logging on to my home VAX from the road, in this madly digital world?

(I hear that you need a biz class 'net access account with your ISP if you want a static address, and that even if you were willing to pay for that they still might not do it for a residential hookup, so I'm looking for non-Internet methods...)
Pancakes are delicious.

ManuCH
Crew

RE: Ways To Dial Home Comp. Via Verizon Modem

Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:57 am

First of all, congratulations for still having a MicroVAX around - you may make some money by selling it to a museum  

I'm not really sure what you're trying to achieve: you would like to dial into your MicroVAX (which is at your home, connected to a POTS line) from work, where you only have either Internet or Verizon, correct?

Over the Internet it can't be done, because VoIP doesn't work well (or not at all) with modem connections. Echo cancelation and packet jitter are major issues there. VoIP even has a hard time with fax connections (unless it's done and implemented well), so forget about modem. See this page for modem-over-VoIP and find out that nobody even implemented the standard: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Modem+over+VOIP

Over Verizon? I don't know about Verizon specifically, but with GSM this would work. Been there, done that. You get one of those USB or PCMCIA modems, or even hook up your existing GSM cell phone to your laptop, then start a circuit-switched data call (in GSM it's called CSD or HSCSD). This is as opposed to packet-switched data (e.g. GPRS). You only need to find out whether Verizon supports HSCSD calls or not. If it does, you're good to go.

Quoting Airstud (Thread starter):
(I hear that you need a biz class 'net access account with your ISP if you want a static address, and that even if you were willing to pay for that they still might not do it for a residential hookup, so I'm looking for non-Internet methods...)

Wait, so your MicroVAX can hook up to the Internet? Why don't you build a VPN then? You wouldn't need a static IP for that.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

Airstud
Topic Author

Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:31 am

All my years of routing OSPF over Cisco 2500's...it seems that somehow failed to bring me up to speed on wireless.  

Verizon's network is CDMA, does that rule out circuit-switched calls; or is there still hope?

Now what about this VPN business - if the box in my apartment doesn't have a static, global IP address, how could I route into it from the Internet? (My employer doesn't use VPN's. Ever. AT ALL.)
Pancakes are delicious.

ManuCH
Crew

Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:47 am

Quoting Airstud (Reply 2):
Verizon's network is CDMA, does that rule out circuit-switched calls; or is there still hope?

I don't think Verizon's technology per se would be the problem. CDMA as well as GSM are both natively circuit switched systems (that is, not "all digital" behind the scenes). The key here is to find out whether Verizon and the handset manufacturers ever implemented HSCSD data calls. From this site: http://www.gsmarena.com/glossary.php3?term=hscsd

Quote:
HSCSD was never widely adopted outside Europe.

So the point is, did anyone bother implementing it? Maybe it's sold under a different name. The easiest way to find out, if you already have a Verizon cell phone, is to hook it up to your ThinkPad, install the drivers for the virtual serial port, then try to create a Dial-Up Connection to your home phone number. If it's supposed to work, it will work right away.

Quoting Airstud (Reply 2):
Now what about this VPN business - if the box in my apartment doesn't have a static, global IP address, how could I route into it from the Internet? (My employer doesn't use VPN's. Ever. AT ALL.)

Maybe you don't even need a VPN, unless you want data to be encrypted. You just need a PC which is always turned on at home, or a Dynamic DNS capable router. You can then configure the Dynamic DNS service (for example no-ip.org) either on your computer or directly on the router. This way, you will be able to access your dynamically changing IP address from work, simply by calling your Dynamic DNS name (for example "airstud.no-ip-org"). Most routers support Dynamic DNS today, so make sure to check that option first.

Of course, if you want data to be encrypted, you need a VPN. For this, you either need a server running at home and a lot of spare time to play with it, or a VPN capable router (they go for about $150).
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself