DocLightning
Topic Author

The Texas GOP: A Buncha Nuts

Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:29 am

The following quotes are taken directly from from the Texas GOP's 2010 platform. You can find it at

http://www.texasgop.org/

Quote:
"We Believe in:
1. Strict adherence to the Declaration of Independence and U.S. and Texas Constitutions."

But then later...

Quote:
Flag Desecration – Any form of desecration of the American Flag is an act of disregard for our nation and its people and
penalties should be established for such.

How the hell does that square? I'm against flag desecration as the next guy, but banning it? What is this? The USSR?

Quote:
Family Values – We affirm that this section is a response to the attacks on traditional family values. These include wellfunded,
vigorous political and judicial attempts by powerful organizations and branches of the government to force
acceptance, affirmation and normalization of homosexual behavior upon school children, parents, educational institutions,
businesses, employees, government bodies and religious institutions and charities. These aggressive, intolerant efforts
marginalize as bigots anyone who dissents.

But then...

Quote:
Homosexuality – We believe that the practice of homosexuality tears at the fabric of society, contributes to the breakdown
of the family unit, and leads to the spread of dangerous, communicable diseases. Homosexual behavior is contrary to the
fundamental, unchanging truths that have been
ordained by God, recognized by our country’s founders, and shared by the majority of Texans. Homosexuality must not be
presented as an acceptable “alternative” lifestyle in our public education and policy, nor should “family” be redefined to
include homosexual “couples.” We are opposed to any granting of special legal entitlements, refuse to recognize, or grant
special privileges including, but not limited to: marriage between persons of the same sex (regardless of state of origin),
custody of children by homosexuals, homosexual partner insurance or retirement benefits. We oppose any criminal or civil
penalties against those who oppose homosexuality out of faith, conviction, or belief in traditional values.
Texas Sodomy Statutes – We oppose the legalization of sodomy. We demand that Congress exercise its authority
granted by the U.S. Constitution to withhold jurisdiction from the federal courts from cases involving sodomy.

Not bigots. Let's read that again with a little twist.

Quote:
Homosexuality – We believe that the practice of Judaism tears at the fabric of society, contributes to the breakdown
of the family unit, and leads to the spread of dangerous, communicable diseases. Jewish behavior is contrary to the
fundamental, unchanging truths that have been
ordained by God, recognized by our country’s founders, and shared by the majority of Texans. Judaism must not be
presented as an acceptable “alternative” lifestyle in our public education and policy, nor should “family” be redefined to
include inter-religious “couples.” We are opposed to any granting of special legal entitlements, refuse to recognize, or grant
special privileges including, but not limited to: marriage between persons of a different religion (regardless of state of origin),
custody of children by Jews, Jewish partner insurance or retirement benefits. We oppose any criminal or civil
penalties against those who oppose Judaism out of faith, conviction, or belief in traditional values.

And Judaism is certainly a choice. So this scares the hell out of me. They scare the hell out of me.

And this is a mainstream political party.

What's their problem? What special right have I asked for? To marry, to have and keep children, to feel safe from discrimination against me based on my sexual orientation, to provide for my husband if I die, to pool resources, etc. How does it hurt anyone? Why this hate? Why is this OK? They run out of Jews to hate?

This is a bunch of reactionary bullcrap. This isn't conservative and any conservative should appalled at this. How DARE they invoke the first amendment and then speak of criminalizing sodomy?

Maybe we need to outlaw being a member of the Texas GOP party and confiscate their kids if they come visit CA.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

OA412
Crew

RE: The Texas GOP: A Buncha Nuts

Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:44 am

All of those references to God. We are a secular nation in which church and state are supposed to be separate entities. It would be nice if in 2010, the Texas state GOP came to grips with that reality.

Quoting DocLightning (Thread starter):
I'm against flag desecration as the next guy, but banning it?

Exactly. One can disagree with burning the flag all they want, but the right to burn it is a protected form of speech. Besides, it's sad that this is one of their priorities when there are so many pressing issues in this country.

What's their problem? What special right have I asked for? To marry, to have and keep children, to feel safe from discrimination against me based on my sexual orientation, to provide for my husband if I die, to pool resources, etc.

That's what I've never understood either Doc. How are any of those special rights? How can anyone look at that list there and say that we are asking for anything above and beyond what straight men and women already enjoy? We don't want special rights, we want equal rights, and it's high time that more people started accepting that. I have yet to hear anyone offer a cogent argument as to how any of the above is a special right rather than an equal right.

How does it hurt anyone?

It doesn't. But there are plenty of people out there who are so repulsed by your relationship with your partner that they are more than willing to limit your rights as "punishment".

This isn't conservative and any conservative should appalled at this.

Arguably, the biggest mistake that the GOP ever made was selling its soul and base to the religious right. Expanding the role of the government to include regulating what goes on in someone's bedroom is not a conservative ideal.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Crosscheck007

Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:48 am

I really hope these people do not wield any serious power in that state!    Yikes...

Cheers,

Je l'attends pas un homme. J'apporte le parti, j'apporte le feu d'artifice.

ua777222

Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:02 am

Quoting Crosscheck007 (Reply 2):
I really hope these people do not wield any serious power in that state!    Yikes...

You've clearly never been to Texas.

Or the middle of America for that matter.....
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

Superfly

Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:38 am

Give Texas back to Mexico.

It's funny how they love that slogan; "Dont Mess With Texas".Yet 4 others already have.
Bring back the Concorde

us330

Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:45 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 4):
It's funny how they love that slogan; "Dont Mess With Texas".

Easily the most successful anti-littering campaign of all time.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 1):
Arguably, the biggest mistake that the GOP ever made was selling its soul and base to the religious right. Expanding the role of the government to include regulating what goes on in someone's bedroom is not a conservative ideal.

Yep. I lean to the right politically, but I hate how the GOP's platform has been hijacked by the moral majority and the religious right who have the cajones to claim they are anti-big government when they are in favor of regulating what goes on between two consenting adults. Talk about hypocrisy! (but, to be perfectly fair, hypocrisy isn't a trait limited to the republicans, and its prevalent on the democrat side as well)

Dreadnought

Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:53 pm

Quoting us330 (Reply 5):

Yep. I lean to the right politically, but I hate how the GOP's platform has been hijacked by the moral majority and the religious right who have the cajones to claim they are anti-big government when they are in favor of regulating what goes on between two consenting adults.

I agree with that. It's a distraction. However they do make some good points, such as standing against the persecution of those who do not agree with the PC program. Gay marriage for instance should not be taught to kids as being perfectly normal - that's a values call that should be taught by parents, and should not even be discussed in school, IMHO. It's indoctrination.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

Ken777

Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:23 pm

Doc,

This is Texas. Land of the cowboy, steers, and oil. Maybe a few sheep as it gets lonely on the range.

God fearing, church going folk. Most are pretty decent. Huntsville takes care of a lot of the rest, except the politicians.

There are some politicians in Texas who actually believe the crap they write, but most just see it as an easy way to get votes from the red necks.

mbmbos

Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:22 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 6):
Gay marriage for instance should not be taught to kids as being perfectly normal - that's a values call that should be taught by parents...

How is teaching that gay marriage is normal a "value"? You know, the APA declassified homosexuality as "abnormal" around 1970. The scientific community no longer views homosexuality as a pathology or mental flaw of any sort.

I just wish you would drop the word "normal" from your vernacular, as it is a loaded term (connotation) and therefore means a lot of different things to different people.

I wonder how you feel about teaching gay marriage as being neutral? Such as acknowledging that some kids who attend school have two fathers or two mothers and shouldn't be persecuted because of it. Or do you believe that gay marriage is something that schools dare not mention?

aznmadsci

Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:23 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 7):
This is Texas. Land of the cowboy, steers, and oil. Maybe a few sheep as it gets lonely on the range.

God fearing, church going folk. Most are pretty decent. Huntsville takes care of a lot of the rest, except the politicians.

There are some politicians in Texas who actually believe the crap they write, but most just see it as an easy way to get votes from the red necks.

That's Texas for you, sad as it is!
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.

futurepilot16

Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:34 pm

I didn't have to read all those quotes to come to this conclusion "The Texas GOP: A Buncha Nuts" about the Texas GOP. Mofos are crazy. I have never seen a place so pro gun, and probably pro-violence, captial punishment, yet, they worship family values and religion. How does this go hand in hand?

Quoting Superfly (Reply 4):
Give Texas back to Mexico.

I agree. I always hated the Cowboys anyway.
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

mham001

Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:13 pm

But interestingly, Texas is doing relatively well during this financial mess, compared to....let's say...that bastion of enlightened thought, California. Just sayin'.

In fact, some parts are thriving and growing, I've been looking that direction myself.

clemsonaj

Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:23 pm

Gay marriage for instance should not be taught to kids as being perfectly normal - that's a values call that should be taught by parents, and should not even be discussed in school, IMHO. It's indoctrination.

I went to public schools and I don't remember a marriage class. I realize that there are probably instances in early grades textbooks where the family unit is represented, but I know of no instance where the family unit is part of the curriculum.

I absolutely despise the casual use of the term indoctrination. The people who seem to want to throw it around are typically the ones dragging their kids to church to be indoctrinated. Teaching children, even at home, to accept a set of core beliefs without question is true indoctrination, however IF a curriculum chose to represent a variety of families and values and then give them a choice it is not!

DeltaMD90

Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:02 pm

This is why I now consider myself Libertarian and not Conservative  

[Edited 2010-06-25 10:03:26]
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

PSA53

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:01 pm

Gay marriage for instance should not be taught to kids as being perfectly normal - that's a values call that should be taught by parents, and should not even be discussed in school, IMHO. It's indoctrination.

That's right.As I have posted many times before,while I don't hate gays on personal basis and they can do what they want,but why gays gain such politic prominence.....next entry....

Quoting mbmbos (Reply 8):
I wonder how you feel about teaching gay marriage as being neutral?

Because it's a sexual mentality like anyone's else choice mindset of pleasure or lifrstyle.

The voters seem to say the same thing.

[Edited 2010-06-25 11:10:58]
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

Longhornmaniac

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:16 pm

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 14):

Because it's a sexual mentality like anyone's else choice mindset of pleasure or lifrstyle.

Link?

Ahh, so if a majority says it, it must be right.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

Boeing744

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:23 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 11):
But interestingly, Texas is doing relatively well during this financial mess, compared to....let's say...that bastion of enlightened thought, California. Just sayin'.

In fact, some parts are thriving and growing, I've been looking that direction myself.

Sure, but none of the policies outlined above have anything at all to do with fiscal matters.

NIKV69

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Don't worry CA is going to legalize Marijuana and that will solve all it's problems with the increased tax revenue!   

How the hell does that square? I'm against flag desecration as the next guy, but banning it? What is this? The USSR?

No far from it but you really should think about the doing anything negative to our symbol. Why do you sympathize with someone destroying our flag? If someone did something negative in my presence I tell you a law would be their least problem.

Maybe we need to outlaw being a member of the Texas GOP party and confiscate their kids if they come visit CA.

I doubt you will ever have to worry about that. CA is the last place they ever want to go.

This is a bunch of reactionary bullcrap. This isn't conservative and any conservative should appalled at this

I am not exactly conservative but even most conservatives will not be apalled if they have ever been to Texas. It's 180 degrees from CA but then again you do remember how the vote for prop 8 went last year? You can't pigeon hole Texas here when it comes to gay marriage either, many southern states feel the same way and it will be a very long time if at all if they change their mindset. Doesn't mean they are appalling, or reactionary. Will this change? It may take some time. They did vote in a lesbian official which was some progress.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

ATCtower

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:31 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 1):
Exactly. One can disagree with burning the flag all they want, but the right to burn it is a protected form of speech. Besides, it's sad that this is one of their priorities when there are so many pressing issues in this country.

What's their problem? What special right have I asked for? To marry, to have and keep children, to feel safe from discrimination against me based on my sexual orientation, to provide for my husband if I die, to pool resources, etc. How does it hurt anyone? Why this hate? Why is this OK? They run out of Jews to hate?

Now that was uncalled for. Many conservatives will fight for the rights of gays and do not hate Jews. Perhaps the people of Texas are F'd in the head, but not conservatives. I know a number of liberal Texans whose beliefs are just as screwed up as conservatives.

Maybe we need to outlaw being a member of the Texas GOP party and confiscate their kids if they come visit CA

Now how would this help the cause? "DONT go to California, the queers will take your kids!" I can hear it now coming from the nuts and I don't think this is the goal of the gay community.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 1):

I could not agree more with this statement. I am a conservative and detest nearly all "conservative right" ideals, and feel they are nothing more than hate hiding under the cross.

Quoting ua777222 (Reply 3):

Middle America, including Texas, is highly religious. Of course people will have their spiritual beliefs, and this will influence their decisions in day to day life. This is why most Bible thumpers are not taken particularly seriously by anyone but other thumpers.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 7):

Which is all any politician does. How in the world do you think Obama got elected only to further screw up everything he claimed Bush did wrong? I know you don't think they actually believe the crap they spew. On either side of the table politicians are full of more hot air than all the balloons over New Mexico.

Gay marriage being taught by schools is ridiculous and inflammatory. Children are not taught straight marriage is ok, teaching gay marriage sanctity would be the school endorsing the gay lifestyle. This is a subject that needs to be left up to the parents.

Quoting futurepilot16 (Reply 10):
I didn't have to read all those quotes to come to this conclusion "The Texas GOP: A Buncha Nuts" about the Texas GOP. Mofos are crazy. I have never seen a place so pro gun, and probably pro-violence, captial punishment, yet, they worship family values and religion. How does this go hand in hand?

They are Christians, and claim to follow the word of the bible and fundamental American rights written by other Christians. (New Testament of course)  

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, that was just too good.

My $.02
By reading the above post you waive all rights to be offended. If you do not like what you read, forget it.

PSA53

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:32 pm

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 15):

Link?

The voters,me.too, are not convinced of you're case.That's a pretty big link.

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 15):

Ahh, so if a majority says it, it must be right.

Not always.But in this issue,yes.

DeltaMD90

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:33 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 17):
They did vote in a lesbian official

Well even some of the straightest Conservative men enjoy some good lesbian action   
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

Dreadnought

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:33 pm

Quoting Boeing744 (Reply 16):

Sure, but none of the policies outlined above have anything at all to do with fiscal matters.

Because you didn't read the source - a 25 page platform mostly dealing with fiscal policy, efficiency and a variety of other issues. Only a couple of paragraphs being dedicated to what we discussed here.

Quoting clemsonaj (Reply 12):
I went to public schools and I don't remember a marriage class. I realize that there are probably instances in early grades textbooks where the family unit is represented, but I know of no instance where the family unit is part of the curriculum.

You never took Social Studies? The family is the most basic social group.

Quoting mbmbos (Reply 8):

I just wish you would drop the word "normal" from your vernacular, as it is a loaded term (connotation) and therefore means a lot of different things to different people.

There is nothing wrong with normalcy. Normal works.

casinterest

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:40 pm

For those that really want to see the platform in it's entirety. Here is a link
http://static.texastribune.org/media...TATE_REPUBLICAN_PARTY_PLATFORM.pdf

There are some really good points to the platform, but they really blow it with the Social conservatism aspects.

Not going to go to deep in it, but the amount of "requirements" surrounding abortion, religion, and homosexuality is just bloat to an otherwise sound platform.

[quote] "Census – ...........We urge that U.S. citizens who, because of religion
or conscience, are compelled to withhold their full response to any census question, be held guiltless. We support the
actual counting of people and oppose any type of estimation or manipulation of data."
/quote]

This is a very peculiar statement. So on one hand they are advocating people not being punished for not answering any census questions, and then they decry estimation, which would be needed to account for such acts. Very poor logic.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

LH459

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:42 pm

And the same old zombie lie resurrects, as it invariably does in these threads. Like it or not, scientific evidence shows that being gay is definitely not a choice.
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is temporary; the evil it does is permanent" - Ghandi

Dreadnought

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:49 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 22):
There are some really good points to the platform, but they really blow it with the Social conservatism aspects.

I agree, in that it should be made clear that those issues are far down the totem pole of priorities. If the GOP concentrated on nothing but getting the government back under control, they would easily win back both houses in November, and pretty much every election in the country (apart from San Francisco, maybe.)

[quote=casinterest,reply=22]

Quote:
"Census – ...........We urge that U.S. citizens who, because of religion
or conscience, are compelled to withhold their full response to any census question, be held guiltless. We support the
actual counting of people and oppose any type of estimation or manipulation of data."
/quote]

This is a very peculiar statement. So on one hand they are advocating people not being punished for not answering any census questions, and then they decry estimation, which would be needed to account for such acts. Very poor logic.

The estimations and manipulation they are speaking of does not relate to the basic counting of individuals, but mainly economic and other variables where frequently, if data does not fit the assumption, you change the data.

PSA53

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:51 pm

Quoting LH459 (Reply 23):

And the same old zombie lie resurrects, as it invariably does in these threads. Like it or not, scientific evidence shows that being gay is definitely not a choice.

Then produce,not to me,but to the american public,you're claim, a valid,unbaised reseach of the scientific evidence.

Otherwise,the that old zombie theory still stands.

Take it to the public.Because you're case needs a lot of people to get convinced.

casinterest

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:59 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 24):
The estimations and manipulation they are speaking of does not relate to the basic counting of individuals, but mainly economic and other variables where frequently, if data does not fit the assumption, you change the data.

Changing the data is wrong,but you should be able to extrapolate and provide statiistics with margin of error. That is basic math. Everything governemnts do is based on the correct data. city,county, state, national.

LH459

Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:07 pm

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 25):
Then produce,not to me,but to the american public,you're claim, a valid,unbaised reseach of the scientific evidence.

Take it to the public.Because you're case needs a lot of people to get convinced.

Repeated studies going back to the 70s support my claim. The evidence is out there on the interwebs, if you would actually care to look for it. The perception of homosexuals in society is, in my experience, largely a generational issue. I challenge you to find a majority of 20 and 30 somethings in the USA who believe that being gay is a choice.
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is temporary; the evil it does is permanent" - Ghandi

Longhornmaniac

Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:36 pm

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 19):

The voters,me.too, are not convinced of you're case.That's a pretty big link.

I asked you to support your claim that being homosexual is a lifestyle choice. Now all you're (note correct usage of the contraction) doing is telling me more of the same thing. Unless you can produce some extraordinary evidence to contradict all of the peer-reviewed research that suggests otherwise, you and your (again, note correct usage) voters can continue to be wrong.

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 19):

Not always.But in this issue,yes.

Again, proof?

*sticks fingers in ears* LaLaLaLaLaLaLaLa If I can't hear it, it must not be true!

Something you don't seem to realize, because the truth is damning to your viewpoint, is that the burden of proof has LONG since shifted to the Bible-Thumping Moral Majority to demonstrate that the hoards of literature (peer-reviewed, unbiased etc...in your terms) is flawed. So let's see it (note: a passage from the Bible, Ted Haggard, Jerry Falwell, Billy Graham, James Dobson etc...doesn't work. I want to see empirical evidence from a reputable source).

Cheers,
Cameron

Also, please spell and grammar check. Your posts are difficult to decipher.
Cheers,
Cameron

Ken777

Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:02 pm

Texas is doing relatively well during this financial mess, compared to....let's say...that bastion of enlightened thought, California. Just sayin'.

Texas is doing OK right now, but was part of Oil Patch that was really suffering in the mid-80s when Reagan flew the economy at the expense of the oil companies. Major unemployment, mortgage crisis & home values diving. The rest of the country enjoyed good times at the expense of Oil Patch.

Basically the oil industry would have severe problems again if OPEC decided to drive the prices down for 18 to 24 months.

And Texans (as well as others in Oil Patch) are living in glass houses because of that.

Quoting clemsonaj (Reply 12):
I went to public schools and I don't remember a marriage class.

Wasn't it called HomeEc? And only girls took it?

casinterest

Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:14 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 29):
Wasn't it called HomeEc? And only girls took it?

All students at my schoold had to take it. Never forget the day we were talking about sex, and one of the girls asked if Semen had calories. Needless to say she had a lot of dates for a few months.

PSA53

Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:23 pm

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 28):
I asked you to support your claim that being homosexual is a lifestyle choice

You're missing the whole question from the beginning that I had asked and even I got off track.....

hat's right.As I have posted many times before,while I don't hate gays on personal basis and they can do what they want,but why gays gain such politic prominence

Now,I don't care about if you're gay or not.IMHO,many people,including myself,don't know why you need to wheel such political power just because of you're in same-sex relationships and need to get recognized for it.

Something you don't seem to realize, because the truth is damning to your viewpoint, is that the burden of proof has LONG since shifted to the Bible-Thumping Moral Majority to demonstrate that the hoards of literature (peer-reviewed, unbiased etc...in your terms) is flawed. So let's see it (note: a passage from the Bible, Ted Haggard, Jerry Falwell, Billy Graham, James Dobson etc...doesn't work. I want to see empirical evidence from a reputable source).

Most here, know my viewpoints are moderate and most know I dislike independent pastors.Billy Graham,for example, is a known racist.

Also, please spell and grammar check. Your posts are difficult to decipher.

Yes.There really messages coded for the CIA.(lol)But point taken.

Crosscheck007

Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:32 pm

I've lived most my life in red states, a few years in a particularly backwards region. Doesn't mean they were willing to outlaw human beings for being who they were!

Cheers,

mbmbos

Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:38 pm

Huh? What are you trying to say? If I'm getting your drift, you, like many other anti-gay posters you want to hone in on gay sexuality not gays as a whole. It's only a "sexual mentality" to the degree that married heterosexuals exhibit a "sexual mentality." A lot of people conflate gay marriage with gay sex, as if they - or schools - have to explain to little kiddies how gay people have sex. All kids need to know is that Billy has two moms and there's no reason to persecute Billy because of that. Is that so hard?

I also noticed you used the word "choice", which alludes to the notion that gay people "choose" to be gay and therefore it's okay to treat them like crap because they've willfully sought out a gay lifestyle. That kind of reasoning is as depressing as it is, well, untrue.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 21):
There is nothing wrong with normalcy. Normal works.

Then define "normal" for me please.

EA772LR

Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:49 pm

I have never seen a place so pro gun, and probably pro-violence, captial punishment, yet, they worship family values and religion. How does this go hand in hand?

What does pro-gun have to do with anything? I'm pro-gun, but non-violent. As nearly all others who legally carry. I'm a 27 year old professional jazz musician who certainly doesn't fit the bill for a pro-gun strap. I love that you jump out and make the assumption that those who are pro-gun must in fact also be pro-violent.

Quoting ATCtower (Reply 18):
Gay marriage being taught by schools is ridiculous and inflammatory. Children are not taught straight marriage is ok, teaching gay marriage sanctity would be the school endorsing the gay lifestyle. This is a subject that needs to be left up to the parents.

My wife and I have several gay friends (actually her best friend is gay) and from what I gather, being gay is not a choice, and everyone of them have said they'd rather not be gay. (this is not a sweeping accusation of all gay people, just the ones we know) Most of them just want, or are currently in, long stable, healthy relationships. It isn't a choice to be attracted to someone. The choice lies within whether you choose a promiscuous lifestyle or not. There are plenty of straight folks I know who are as promiscuous as the gay ones. Gay marriage is a touchy subject-let the states decide.
We often judge others by their actions, but ourselves by our intentions.

Crosscheck007

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 31):
Now,I don't care about if you're gay or not.IMHO,many people,including myself,don't know why you need to wheel such political power just because of you're in same-sex relationships and need to get recognized for it.

I don't think we are talking about wanting political power, privilege, or publicity; all we want is to be equal. The only ones that want political power, privilege, or publicity are the uber-liberal, left-wing nutjobs who would want those things regardless of their sexuality. All we want is to have the same rights as everyone else; to be equal, not special.

Cheers,

aznmadsci

They did vote in a lesbian official which was some progress.

I guess Houston voters can get the credit for electing a lesbian as mayor of one of the largest cities in the country! The psycho bible-thumpers did try to dissuade voters for the other guy because of her sexuality. But as she said in her acceptance speech, she is the first ever ... graduate of Rice University to be mayor of one of the largest city in the US!
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.

Longhornmaniac

Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Just for the record, I'm straight as an arrow. Not sure whether you were directing that at me, or just speaking generally.

Most here, know my viewpoints are moderate and most know I dislike independent pastors.Billy Graham,for example, is a known racist.

Fair enough. Apologies for the tone.

Yes.There really messages coded for the CIA.

but why gays gain such politic prominence

Admittedly, I have no way of knowing for certain, but I have a hypothesis that seems to make sense. Simply put, they're being attacked politically, and thus, don't have any choice except to fight for their rights on a political battlefield. If this issue hadn't become so politicized (and for that, I place the blame squarely on the Religious Right for attempting denying people basic rights based on sexual orientation), I have no doubt it wouldn't be anywhere near as public as it is right now. I'd just assume it goes away, and I'd imagine the majority of homosexuals (not all, there are definitely some homosexuals who are overzealous) would prefer just going about their daily lives. The recognition aspect, near as I can tell, isn't about anything except acceptance. The problem is, people (read: Bible-Thumpers) have tried to deny homosexuals basic rights, like hospital visitation and other rights that are granted to heterosexuals. Therefore, homosexuals are forced to "put themselves out there," otherwise they won't get what they're fighting for (and deserve).

I'm all for the abolition of marriage as a legal term. Let religion have marriage, and do with it as they please. But there is no logical reason that can be presented to deny homosexuals basic rights in a civil sense.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

N1120A

Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:14 pm

1) Easy to live on oil, gas and lots of BLM managed land.

2) Texas doesn't have a system that allows a relatively small minority to screw up the entire budget process. That is our own fault as Californians, but has nothing to do with "values" and everything to do with GOP obstructionism.

3) Texas pays less to and gets more from the federal government than we do, especially pre-ARRA. While I'm more than happy to help out poorer states, given that we are the richest, that favor needs to be returned.

Edited to add:

4) That has nothing at all to do with gay rights.

Quoting Crosscheck007 (Reply 32):
I've lived most my life in red states, a few years in a particularly backwards region. Doesn't mean they were willing to outlaw human beings for being who they were!

Actually, prior to Lawrence v. Texas, the vast majority of them did.

Quoting EA772LR (Reply 34):
Gay marriage is a touchy subject-let the states decide.

The "touchy subjects" are those ripe for exploitation by a tyrannical majority. Hence why the US Constitution exists. Particularly the 14th Amendment. Would you like your Freedom of Speech to still be decided by state legislatures?

[Edited 2010-06-25 14:15:20]
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Crosscheck007

Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:24 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 38):
Actually, prior to Lawrence v. Texas, the vast majority of them did.

I should have been more specific. My red states did not.

Cheers,

N1120A

Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:36 pm

Quoting Crosscheck007 (Reply 39):

I should have been more specific. My red states did not.

Which red states were these?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Crosscheck007

Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:58 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 40):

Arizona (I would not have been old enough to be having sex when these laws were in place) and Tennessee.

Cheers,

Ken777

Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:26 pm

Quoting aznmadsci (Reply 36):
But as she said in her acceptance speech, she is the first ever ... graduate of Rice University to be mayor of one of the largest city in the US!

That's a pretty good indication of intellect as Rice isn't a local JC. Used to live by it in the 50s and in that time it was male only. Actually white males only.

Every time I go to Houston I'm impressed at how that city has matured. Still pretty rough in some areas but it's heading in the right direction.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 38):
The "touchy subjects" are those ripe for exploitation by a tyrannical majority.

Wait a while and the white red neck will be a thing of the past. Whites in Teas will be a distinct minority, and conservative whites even smaller.

einsteinboricua

Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:06 am

How does this go hand in hand?

Ask Iran, Israel and any other place where religion and the state are the same thing...

No far from it but you really should think about the doing anything negative to our symbol. Why do you sympathize with someone destroying our flag? If someone did something negative in my presence I tell you a law would be their least problem.

How does the burning of the flag affect you? It's a right I have under the Constitution. Is it not patriotic? No it isn't. Is it a form of speech? The government recognizes it, so yes.

I don't have anything against the US (especially when I depend on it), but if Joe Average is angry with the US, why should he be denied freedom of speech? What would the alternative be: write a letter and don't mail it?

Quoting ATCtower (Reply 18):
they are nothing more than hate hiding under the cross.

Which is why these people (which are not only in the US. Try everywhere in the world) convince me everyday to become atheist. Using religion to push their agenda and then go against the things they promise?

I suppose that if these people ever got hold of the presidency there would be a mass exodus and ethnic cleansing. Not Christian? Not straight? Then get out or face our wrath.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

futurepilot16

Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:36 am

Quoting EA772LR (Reply 34):
What does pro-gun have to do with anything? I'm pro-gun, but non-violent. As nearly all others who legally carry. I'm a 27 year old professional jazz musician who certainly doesn't fit the bill for a pro-gun strap. I love that you jump out and make the assumption that those who are pro-gun must in fact also be pro-violent.

I never said anything about pro gun being pro violent. I said These republicans who are also pro gun, are also pro violence. I never said everyone who is pro gun, is pro violence.
"The brave don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all."

n229nw

Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:05 am

Then produce,not to me,but to the american public,you're claim, a valid, unbaised reseach of the scientific evidence.

You are kidding, right? Science is not based on a vote. If people want to pass laws outlawing gravity because people have the "choice" not to be pulled down toward the earth, then people have issues. They can either accept the science, or fight it, but they can't change the facts.

Quoting casinterest (Reply 30):
All students at my schoold had to take it. Never forget the day we were talking about sex, and one of the girls asked if Semen had calories. Needless to say she had a lot of dates for a few months.

many people,including myself,don't know why you need to wheel such political power just because of you're in same-sex relationships and need to get recognized for it.

You mean wield power? How is it wielding power to ask for equal rights? There is tons of social research that shows that those who have the power in the status quo will take that for granted and see those who have to struggle for the same rights as "asking for special treatment." But it isn't. It's just asking for equality.

Quoting Crosscheck007 (Reply 2):
I really hope these people do not wield any serious power in that state! Yikes...

Or the middle of America for that matter....

Or Poland for that matter    (Most Polish parties both left and right have platforms similar to the Texas GOP's on this issue...though again I would guess it will change in a generation...)

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 43):
Ask Iran, Israel and any other place where religion and the state are the same thing...

Well, big difference on this issue. Israeli culture is overall pretty gay-friendly. Iranian is...erm...not so much.

Not to get too far off topic, but who said he sympathized with people desecrating the flag? But he believes in their right to free speech, even if he doesn't like what they say. I'll take it further though. I have way more sympathy with flag desecration than for people who threaten violence against flag desecrators. One is exercising a legal right of protest, the other is trying to shut it down. One is hurting a symbol, the other is hurting a person. For the life of me I cannot understand why some people get so hung up on a piece of cloth.
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

ltbewr

Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:42 am

These same fools also perverted the school texbooks bought by TX state schools, pushing a extreme, Christian centered and of course hyprocritical view of USA history and society.

The basic premise of too many Republicans is simple: Reduce taxes to nothing. Reduce regulation of businss and property use to near zero. Round up the illegals and send them home (except those picking fruit, butchering meet, working in resturant kitchens for slave wages). Then give the poor nothing and the military everything, including unnessary high-tech equipment.

Dreadnought

Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:51 am

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 46):

The basic premise of too many Republicans is simple: Reduce taxes to nothing. Reduce regulation of businss and property use to near zero. Round up the illegals and send them home (except those picking fruit, butchering meet, working in resturant kitchens for slave wages). Then give the poor nothing and the military everything, including unnessary high-tech equipment.

You forgot that we also like to beat our children with bats, rape nuns and dance naked around bonfires.

NIKV69

Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:12 am

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 43):
How does the burning of the flag affect you? It's a right I have under the Constitution. Is it not patriotic? No it isn't. Is it a form of speech? The government recognizes it, so yes.

I don't care what it is I feel it is a huge form of disrespect and I am going to act accordingly. That is also a form of free speech.

Quoting n229nw (Reply 45):
One is exercising a legal right of protest, the other is trying to shut it down. One is hurting a symbol, the other is hurting a person. For the life of me I cannot understand why some people get so hung up on a piece of cloth.

If you feel it is just a piece of cloth, well you just answered your own question.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

seb146

Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:13 am

Quoting n229nw (Reply 45):
How is it wielding power to ask for equal rights? There is tons of social research that shows that those who have the power in the status quo will take that for granted and see those who have to struggle for the same rights as "asking for special treatment." But it isn't. It's just asking for equality.

Right. The equality to enter into a legally binding partnership. We (American citizens) are WAY too hung up on the Christian word "marriage" being the same thing as the legal partnership handed out by the government. They are two completely different things.

Besides: If being homosexual is a choice, why don't some of these heteros that believe that actually choose to be homosexual for a day or week? They can't and you know why? It is NOT A CHOICE! Get over it already.
Life in the wall is a drag.