propilot83
Topic Author

Unemployment Benefits Extension Fails Again!

Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:53 am

http://www.norwalkreflector.com/arti...ront/doc4bfb28aba972e462818490.txt

Goodness, its been two weeks now that I and millions of others just ran out of their 3rd Federal tier unemployment benefits extension and cannot move on to their 4th tier of 6 weeks now that the US Senate has failed repeatedly for the 3rd time now to pass the extension deadlines, all because of the Republicans who are filibustering the bill in the Senate and preventing it to pass to the President to be signed into law. This Extended Tax Breaks and Unemployment Extension bill would extend unemployment filing deadlines to the next tier from May 30, 2010 to November 30, 2010. This is ridiculous, I am so frustrated, in the last two weeks I've been watching CSPAN 2 monitoring the US Senate debate and hoping that they would invoke cloture on the debate to end it and pass the damn bill, but no, the damn GOP keeps on stalling the bill because they say that the deficit will grow and the national debt will increase. I say 'who cares'   , we are already in a huge deficit and the national debit will rise anyway, its not like were screwed anyway  

MD11Engineer

RE: Unemployment Benefits Extension Fails Again!

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:10 am

Giving your stetements in your previous thread about the topic, what about getting yourself a job (even if it means to move to another city, county, state or country)?
I´ve done the same after LH laid off a few hundred aircraft mechanics and engineers in the late 1990s (and after i just had finished my apprenticeship). Instead of going on the dole a few (all of us already a bit older than the usual bunch of apprentices due to having worked in different professions before) of us including myself applied for jobs with an Irish company and got hired. It meant moving abroad, but I never regretted this decision. Living and working in Ireland I really got fllue nt in English, I earned my AMT licence there and a few years later, with the experience I gained there, was able to return to Germany into much better paying job. I even met my fiancee while working in Ireland.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

DeltaMD90

Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:28 pm

I thought the Dems had a filibuster proof majority, or am I wrong?
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

engineergreg

Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:34 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 2):
I thought the Dems had a filibuster proof majority, or am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong. The Dems lost their filibuster proof majority with the election of Scott Brown to fill the vacancy left by Ted Kennedy.

AAORY

Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:39 pm

Quoting propilot83 (Thread starter):
in the last two weeks I've been watching CSPAN 2

LOL, how hard did you try to get a job in those two weeks instead of sitting around watching TV? Maybe now that your gravy train is ending you'll work a little harder to find one.
36 countries visited and counting...

einsteinboricua

Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:17 pm

Quoting AAORY (Reply 4):
LOL, how hard did you try to get a job in those two weeks instead of sitting around watching TV? Maybe now that your gravy train is ending you'll work a little harder to find one.

And what makes you think that he hasn't submitted resumes and is just waiting for an interview? It's not like it's something that in less than 24 hours you got a job. I mean, I don't know whether he has or hasn't looked for a job, but to assume outright that he hasn't tried hard enough is quite unfair.

[Edited 2010-06-26 09:19:17]
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

FlyDeltaJets87

Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:40 pm

Good on the GOP!    More reason they will be getting my vote in November!

Quoting AAORY (Reply 4):

My thoughts exactly. I'm so sick of this "Continue to Extend Unemployment Benefits" mentality when it's well known that many/most of those who are unemployment don't start seriously job searching till the last couple weeks before their unemployment runs out.

I say 'who cares'

I, as a US taxpayer who has a job, cares.

This Extended Tax Breaks and Unemployment Extension bill would extend unemployment filing deadlines to the next tier from May 30, 2010 to November 30, 2010.

Let's see - November 30, 2010. Well, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that they were attempting to extend the benefits just beyond the mid-term elections.   

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 5):
And what makes you think that he hasn't submitted resumes and is just waiting for an interview?

Go read this thread from March 3rd for us (read - almost 4 months ago now) and then get back to me, because from propilot83's own posting history, AAORY is spot on.
Senates Passes $10 billion Jobless Benefits
He says in the thread starter "I got a job" and then in reply 11 says "Well it looks like the job that I wanted wasnt really what I wanted, there are too much safety concerns working for the railroad company BNSF and Eagle Intermodal in southern California. I am not going to risk my body parts getting injured or even killed for $10.50/hr or whatever the pay was. Thank you Obama for signing the unemployment extension bill into law, because I am about to run out of my 2nd extension and ready to roll into the Fed-Ed 3rd extension of up to 20 weeks. I will have to keep on praying forever and eventually get a job very soon! God is great!!"

Unfortunately most of the post were deleted in that thread after that post because so many posters kept telling him to get off his ass and go find a job but other gems in that thread (that I still have in my PM history as I was sending messages to another user about him) include:

From me to the other user: He says while on unemployment since Jan 2009, he has taken 2 trips to Vegas and a trip to Seattle and God knows where else). He says he turned down a job that was going to pay $10 an hour because he was making more on unemployment. At the same time he told us how "desperately" he was looking for a job (in between trips to Vegas I guess).

From me to the other user again: Yup. He kept referring to America as "Tha Land of the Free - Free Healthcare,Free Money. Free this. Free that."

So, einsteinboricua, we do know what kind of guy propilot83 is, and I'm glad the GOP was able to block the extension of unemployment benefits again, and I hope propilot83 has to get off his lazy behind and find a new job. But are you seriously going to sit here and convince me that propilot83 has been seriously looking for a job at all?   

[Edited 2010-06-26 09:54:53]
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

StuckInCA

Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:49 pm

Hmm. I'm fully employed but have decided that I can't afford cable TV anymore. No C-Span for me. Maybe you get it with an antenna where you live. Otherwise, it's good to know that perhaps I can afford cable if I stop working.   

FlyDeltaJets87

Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:55 pm

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 7):
Otherwise, it's good to know that perhaps I can afford cable if I stop working

And trips to Seattle and Las Vegas, according to Propilot83 back in March.

einsteinboricua

Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:34 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 6):
But are you seriously going to sit here and convince me that propilot83 has been seriously looking for a job at all?

Did you read my whole post? i said I do not know whether he has or hasn't searched for a job. What I said that it's unfair to jump and conclude that straight away. I speak from experience, especially when I know people that are grateful for those benefits while they get up on their feet and look for a job. It's one thing to want those benefits to maintain you while you sit around, and another is having them for the transition between jobs. Frankly, I don't know nor care which is the case for propilot83.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

UH60FtRucker

Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:46 pm

You know what's a better unemployment benefit?

Getting the economy back on track.

Today is day 634 of the recession, and the government is still too incompetent to spur any sort of recovery. Best solution for proppilot83, stop watching tv, and get out and get a job.
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

Cadet57

Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:32 pm

Goodness, its been two weeks now that I and millions of others just ran out of their 3rd Federal tier unemployment benefits extension and cannot move on to their 4th tier of 6 weeks now that the US Senate has failed repeatedly for the 3rd time now to pass the extension deadlines

So heres a hint. Stop whining, get off the couch instead of watching C-Span and hit the bricks, polish up your resume, make some calls to different places, look for a part time gig instead of blaming others and expecting the government to take care of you.

all because of the Republican

At least some in this country realize we cant piss away money we dont have.

I say 'who cares'

Those of us who pay taxes and continue to watch our economy circle the bowl daily.

we are already in a huge deficit and the national debit will rise anyway, its not like were screwed anyway

Yeah. Why not. As long as its not your money right?
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

FlyDeltaJets87

Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:42 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 9):
i said I do not know whether he has or hasn't searched for a job. What I said that it's unfair to jump and conclude that straight away.

Based on his past history of posting on here, we can conclude that propilot83 is one who abuses the benefits and just wants the benefits extended so he doesn't have to find a job. He has proven it over and over.

Quoting cadet57 (Reply 11):
So heres a hint. Stop whining, get off the couch instead of watching C-Span and hit the bricks, polish up your resume, make some calls to different places, look for a part time gig instead of blaming others and expecting the government to take care of you.

Maybe now that his source of income will be drying up, he'll spend less time watching C-SPAN and whining on A.net about how evil the GOP is and spend more time (or from the sounds of it, start) looking for a job.

all because of the Republican

At least some in this country realize we cant piss away money we dont have.

I say 'who cares'

Those of us who pay taxes and continue to watch our economy circle the bowl daily.

we are already in a huge deficit and the national debit will rise anyway, its not like were screwed anyway

Yeah. Why not. As long as its not your money right?

To you and your fellow voters in Massachusetts who voted for Scott Brown so we could block this madness, Thank You.  

Cadet57

Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:45 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 12):
To you and your fellow voters in Massachusetts who voted for Scott Brown so we could block this madness, Thank You.

You're welcome  

(i'm a registered Dem, but I could not STAND Coakley)

MD11Engineer

Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:45 pm

And what makes you think that he hasn't submitted resumes and is just waiting for an interview? It's not like it's something that in less than 24 hours you got a job. I mean, I don't know whether he has or hasn't looked for a job, but to assume outright that he hasn't tried hard enough is quite unfair.

As mentioned by others, in his previous threads he has been boasting about how he is playing the social security system.
I´ve got mixed feelings about unemployment security. On one hand I resent to pay inton the system to support freeloaders, like the OP, but on the other hand I know that I might lose my job without it being my fault. I was working for a company in the past were it turned out that the boss and owner was a crook. He bankrupted the company and disappeared with lots of subsidy money from the government, leaving us, his employees, standing in the rain. If not for the statements by several customers, who said that they were very happy with our work, but were fed up of being cheated by the boss, and due to another company having bought what was left over from the old company, I would have been unemployed as well. In such a situaion I wouldn´t want to get into arrears with myx mortgage payments and to lose my home.
On the other hand you can be sure that in case of unemployment I would be looking for a new job ASAP and I would, if necssary, go abroad (maybe the Middle East).

Jan

thegreatRDU

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:07 pm

There's only so much you can extend...it's no secret people are getting lazy, freeloading, or too picky (that job is too far away, I'm too good or over qualified, "it's just not for me)
They could have at least made sure it was paid for...like take the money out of some useless bureaucracy
or wasteful projects...that maybe would have been ok...

Enough is Enough....
Our Returning Champion

LAXintl

Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:25 pm

I don't know, but the existing 99-weeks of benefits seem plenty to me.

Sure there are some tragic cases out there and folks they might not be employable for various reason's, however if one tries hard enough there are still jobs out there -- yes maybe outsides ones field, or with reduced income.
Worst case one can always move also, most the world will go the job, not wait for the job to come to them.

Hey Propilot83 - you try applying at the local Subway sandwich shop? They seem to hire pretty regularly in my neighborhood.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

UH60FtRucker

Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:21 am

I'm really happy to see a lot of people not buying into his pity story, and telling him to stop being lazy and to get a damn job.

Gives me hope.

But like I said: today is day 634 of the recession, and the government is still failing to spur a recovery. So anyone who keeps trusting the government to lead them to prosperity **cough proppilot83 cough** you get what you deserve. So If you want something in life, get it yourself, because the government is inept.
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

Mir

Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:17 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 14):
I´ve got mixed feelings about unemployment security. On one hand I resent to pay inton the system to support freeloaders, like the OP, but on the other hand I know that I might lose my job without it being my fault. I was working for a company in the past were it turned out that the boss and owner was a crook. He bankrupted the company and disappeared with lots of subsidy money from the government, leaving us, his employees, standing in the rain. If not for the statements by several customers, who said that they were very happy with our work, but were fed up of being cheated by the boss, and due to another company having bought what was left over from the old company, I would have been unemployed as well. In such a situaion I wouldn´t want to get into arrears with myx mortgage payments and to lose my home.

Unemployment benefits are all well and good, and they should be made available. But there has to be a strict time limit, so that the number of freeloaders is minimized (you can never get rid of them entirely). Sitting around watching TV all the time should not earn you unemployment money.

in the last two weeks I've been watching CSPAN 2 monitoring the US Senate debate

...instead of getting yourself a job. Well done.  

And, by the way, since you've been monitoring the debate so closely, I can only hope you've realized that one of the reasons that the GOP doesn't want to extend benefits is because of people like you, who wish to use unemployment as a substitute for income. You're not only cheating the taxpayers, you're cheating the people who legitimately need short-term unemployment benefits, since your story is one that would be held up as Exhibit A of why unemployment benefits should be restricted, or even ended. Basically, you're screwing everybody.   

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Cadet57

Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:33 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 19):
Basically, you're screwing everybody.

But like he said:

I say 'who cares'

What a jerk...

iairallie

Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:07 am

Quoting AAORY (Reply 4):
Maybe now that your gravy train is ending you'll work a little harder to find one.

&

it's well known that many/most of those who are unemployment don't start seriously job searching till the last couple weeks before their unemployment runs out.

Yep extending benefits just removes incentive.

I, as a US taxpayer who has a job, cares.

Ditto, Money for unemployment comes from those who are working and paying into the system. Keep extending the benefits and eventually you have to make up the extra by taking more from the paychecks of those who are working. For short term purposes I believe in unemployment but it's been extended long enough. You take what you can even if it isn't perfect and keep up the search until you find a better fit while working. Thats what I did and there is nothing stopping anyone else from doing the same except an overinflated sense of entitlement.

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 9):
What I said that it's unfair to jump and conclude that straight away

It's not unfair at all in this case and they didn't jump to conclude anything. They based their remarks on the OP's posting history. It's grounded in fact, and a track record not a rash assumption.

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 14):

As mentioned by others, in his previous threads he has been boasting about how he is playing the social security system.

Is there a hotline to report gov aid abuse and fraud?

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 18):
So If you want something in life, get it yourself

Yep! Keep humble, avoid a sense of entitlement and work hard to get the job and things you want. No one is going to give them to you and the sense of accomplishment you get from EARNING your way in life is the best feeling ever.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

soon7x7

Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:14 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 19):

Unemployment benefits are all well and good, and they should be made available. But there has to be a strict time limit, so that the number of freeloaders is minimized (you can never get rid of them entirely). Sitting around watching TV all the time should not earn you unemployment money.

What a crock...My company closed its doors 19 months ago...I have a small business that was a /dba of that company. Having been working since 14 and currently 54...I have not been able to find a job as apparently the cause interpolates into "your overqualified or your white". Here on Long Island the work force is now a minority based work force and pay scales have dropped dramatically as a result. Coming from an Advertising background, a pilot, mechanic and aviation photographer, with many other qualifications, I can't even get a part time in Lowes...I own a home, can't support a home and child support on $7.85-$10.00/hr. My house has two individuals residing in it, not ten. I've custom tailored six different resumes...got a file 6" high of contacts with no return communications. If it weren't for my photography, I'd be screwed. I find collecting unemployment humiliating but I earned the right to collect and thank God for it. Obama has seen to chastise my client base for "using their Gulfstreams for weekend jaunts out to Vegas"...well thanx much Mr. President for once again hammering good ole American capitalism over the head. Does a lot for creating jobs. High end entrepreneurs hire experienced, knowledgeable people to staff their companies but such is not the case since this administration has reeked havoc with the American economy. New business start ups are on hold till this administration indicates to which direction new business will be headed and it doesn't look good. I can't even stand at the illegal labor pick up points for a days work as they think I'm an informant. Ramp agents= kids out of school, Visual marketing= dead in the water, flight instructor= they have enough as enrollment way down, Lowes dept stores, apparently I must speak Spanish, Architectural sign business, freelance only and $10.00/hr...Port Authority of New York..."good luck"...I'm white...I'm up at 6am everyday trying to land work and entertain the few jobs I get in that manage to pay my bills (I'm lucky)...but I've worked harder at trying to get a job that I have ever worked before and I'm fed up...by the way...better make sure your job is secure as the Bush Tax Relief bill that we have enjoyed for the last 6-7 years expires this January and jobs will roll like a rogue wave hitting a ship,...just might be your jobs...so don't knock those that have to collect.

Maverick623

Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:12 am

And what makes you think that he hasn't submitted resumes and is just waiting for an interview?

That's not how you find a job, even in a good economy. One of my first lessons in job hunting was to follow up on every single application, and this was in 2003 when the job market was booming.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Flyingfox27

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:25 am

When i left College in 2002, i wanted to get a job which i was trained to do like Horticulture and gardening, after a couple of years i decided that due to medical conditions i cant and had to accept that and just jump onto the next job i could get so i did and was successful in 2004. Ok its just a Catering job in a University but at least its a job where i can help pay my way and not sponge of others.

Its good what Cameron is doing in our country, make people on benefits that are just cheating the system be forced to get a job or they lose their benefits. This dosent count on those who are genuinely ill, although some will be tested as they could still use a phone for example or maybe a computer for a few hours a day, still a job.

I find it always best to get a job in the end as when i was unemployed i found it frustrating and was unhappy, its always best to go and get a job, even if its the local Mc Donalds its still a job.  

Braybuddy

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:10 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 16):
I don't know, but the existing 99-weeks of benefits seem plenty to me

As a matter of interest, what happens in the States when your 99 weeks runs out?

zotan

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:25 am

It seems like economics is a study that is lost on most A.net users, so here's a quick overview for all of the boneheads who think unemployment benefits raise the unemployment level.

The employment market, just like any other market, is subject to the laws of supply and demand. The price of labor, more commonly known as wages, is a good indicator of what that market is doing. If the price of labor is rising, their is more demand for employees than their is supply. If the price of labor is falling, there is a greater supply of employees than their is demand for them.

Right now, the price of labor is falling. Wages are falling. That means that there are more people looking for jobs than their are jobs available. Every single jobseeker in the US could "settle" for a lesser paying job, and there still would not be enough jobs available. We have a demand problem right not because of the recession. No amount of "can do" effort will fix that. An unemployed persons incentives to seek work, for now, are irrelevant.

And the truth is that unemployment benefits are a good, quick, administratively easy way to increase demand, which is what we really need. More money pumped into the economy is a good thing. Unemployment benefits, right now, have the effect of reducing the unemployment level. It's a countercyclical spending policy, no different than the GOP beloved tax cuts. And so long as the price of labor keeps falling, unemployment benefits will remain a good thing.

MD11Engineer

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:26 am

Like my uncle, who almost never really worked in his life (in the early 1970s he intentionally left highschool without graduating and joined some Indian cult, which mixed free love with elements of Hinduism and Bhuddism, in fact it was a ripoff by smart selfdeclared guru, who aimed it at rich western hippies, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osho_%28Bhagwan_Shree_Rajneesh%29). After he finally realised what a crook this guru was, he returned to Germany and was paid a retraining to printing plate maker by my grandparents. He worked in this profession for a year or two, until he realised that he was allergic to certain chemicals used in the process and became unemployed, living of social welfare. The labour office sent him to jobs, like in photocopying shops, but he regularly got himself fired (When you are new on the job and in your probation period, you shut up and e.g. do overtime if the boss demands it, you don´t quote the book of labour laws to him). While unemployed, sitting at home, he used his layouting skills for free for a leftwing political party (in which he later became deputy on council level) and for groups like Greenpeace (unpaid, of course, all while being paid by the tax payer).
One day he inherited a larger amount of money and was very p#ssed off that the government now cut his welfare check, telling him to use up these several hundredthousand Euros first, before getting more welfare money. He had hoped to get his regular living expenses paid by the labour office, while at the same time travelling all over the world and enjoying a luxury life with his inheritance.

Jan

Braybuddy

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:39 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 27):
One day he inherited a larger amount of money and was very p#ssed off that the government now cut his welfare check, telling him to use up these several hundredthousand Euros first, before getting more welfare money. He had hoped to get his regular living expenses paid by the labour office, while at the same time travelling all over the world and enjoying a luxury life with his inheritance

LOL! I'm bawling into my cornflakes here . . .

EA CO AS

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:03 am

Quoting ZOTAN (Reply 26):
Right now, the price of labor is falling. Wages are falling. That means that there are more people looking for jobs than their are jobs available. Every single jobseeker in the US could "settle" for a lesser paying job, and there still would not be enough jobs available. We have a demand problem right not because of the recession. No amount of "can do" effort will fix that. An unemployed persons incentives to seek work, for now, are irrelevant.

And the truth is that unemployment benefits are a good, quick, administratively easy way to increase demand, which is what we really need.

Thanks for the ECN101 lesson, but tell me - how does any of that change the fact that Propilot has been boasting about willfully and knowingly living off unemployment as if it's a badge of courage?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

propilot83
Topic Author

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:14 am

Oh my goodness people  Wow! , please please stop criticizing me, I've been looking for work desperately ever since I've become unemployed. You think I wanna be on unemployment, yea I've been watching CSPAN 2 for two weeks AND have been looking for work all around. I have a California Guard Card and have been looking for security jobs, I applied at different employment agencies all around and following up on them. Those of you who like to criticize me, you dont know jack about me and who and what I am. You guys are just talking smack right out of your rear ends. Oh and I applied at the TSA Airport Screeners for part time at the Ontario Airport in California, its part time, not full time, but I know its a Federal job with the US Government, cant deny that work!!! I took the assessment battery test and passed thank God, I still need background checks, drug tests, which will pass with a piece of cake, its a quite of process, however not a long one hopefully to get hired. I know the TSA pays real good, and hopefully God willing I get this job that I will love so much. Its totally unfair for those of you calling me names, and battering me left and right. I am not the type of person who likes to sit and get paid for free, I am a Muslim, and in the religion of Islam, you must struggle, and struggle means working hard and earning great benefits, and thats who I have been, and will be forever. It wasnt my fault that I got fired from Frito Lay in January 2009, and you just cant accept any job if it will be hazardous to your health, I mean come on, its America, not Africa or some remote part of Asia. Life has always been a blessing for me, and the Senate will pass this extension of unemployment benefits, and I hope they do even if I get a job because I care about those 15 million other Americans who are out of work and cant find a job. The Senate will pass the extension, theres no choice, or else were going right back into a deep deep recession again. So to wrap things up, I laughed and giggled at the mean rude comments posted against me, because its just not true, and I dont care what you think or say, you cant judge people, you dont know what they've been doing, because you havent seen, even if you've heard, you still cant critize people when you dont see what they are doing in their daily lives.

Thank you einsteinboricua, for making things clear, at least someone knew better than others.

Superfly

Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:26 pm

Folks, propilot83 is not a good example of 10million+ people recieveing unemployment benefits.
Most are out looking for work and taking jobs where ever they can find work.

Quoting Mir (Reply 19):
And, by the way, since you've been monitoring the debate so closely, I can only hope you've realized that one of the reasons that the GOP doesn't want to extend benefits is because of people like you, who wish to use unemployment as a substitute for income. You're not only cheating the taxpayers, you're cheating the people who legitimately need short-term unemployment benefits, since your story is one that would be held up as Exhibit A of why unemployment benefits should be restricted, or even ended. Basically, you're screwing everybody.

Not only that, employers can tell which candidates are on the ball and ready for interviews and truely working hard to find work. They can easily tell them apart from the candidates that come in rusty from not in the habit of looking for work.

it's well known that many/most of those who are unemployment don't start seriously job searching till the last couple weeks before their unemployment runs out.

Im not so sure about that. Unemployment is not a whole lot of money and it's a fraction of what you once earned. Most would rather work and earn more money than what unemployment grants.

So does this vote mean?
Was this to extend beyond the 99 weeks?
Was this to cut off people cold-turkey regardless of how many weeks they've already collected?
The whole thing seems confusing.
Bring back the Concorde

Cadet57

Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:29 pm

Quoting propilot83 (Reply 30):
because I care

Funny, because before you said:

I say 'who cares'

ltbewr

Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:40 pm

I do believe we need conditioned extensions of unemployment benefits. There are some areas of the USA (like California)that are in an in fact depression when the property bubble broke. Many jobs have been permenatly destroyed by the economy, changing technology, regulations and exporting to cheaper paying ones. Pay rates for existing jobs have been frozen or dropped, you get lesser benefits, minimal security of continued employment. Many lower wage jobs have been filled by legal and illegal immigrants. Some employers are consolidating remaining work with fewer workers, even if they have to pay OT as unsure of the future. Many have no savings, they have credit debt up to limits, their home is 'underwater' as to value and still need a place to live, they can't afford or otherwise can't move to someplace with a marginal better opportunity. Many cannot leave the area they live in as may own their home and can't sell it or only at a major loss, breaking a lease could be very expensive, they have family they are supporting or otherwise need to live close to thus limiting their ability to move. Older workers are discriminated against, for some employers the pressures of 'diversity' has made it more difficult for some to get jobs.

Until we find some way that will really bring back the economy, many will not find work and need the small subsidy Unemployment Benefits provides. I know. I been there. I was functionally unemployed for 18 Months (Sept. 2006 - Feb. 2008), taking day or short term work in my field (legal Assistant). That 6 Months of Unemployment Benefits (extensions were not offered at that time) meant a lot less taken out of my savings, and money spent to keep the economy going. I did not spend any on vacations or other excesses, I couldn't and didn't need to move, I had plenty of good credit. I want to see those that need help get it. Sometimes that help means counsuling, realizing the need to downsize, face reality and try again when the economy improves.

soon7x7

Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:50 pm

Quoting propilot83 (Reply 30):

Dude, your not alone...don't let the peanut gallery get to you...they can still lose their positions as well as anyone else...this economy will get worse before it gets better, so any one here is subject to the pink slip...If I was financially compensated for my "job seeking efforts"...I'd have a fat bank account...g

Cadet57

Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:54 pm

Quoting soon7x7 (Reply 34):
...they can still lose their positions as well as anyone else...t

Yay having a recession proof job   

LAXintl

Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:01 pm

Quoting soon7x7 (Reply 22):

Sorry to hear.

Quoting soon7x7 (Reply 22):
apparently I must speak Spanish

Now please dont take this the wrong way, but if this is the case and the new economy requires Spanish, have you considered the opportunity to take classes to learn Spanish or other new skills?

While being unemployed has indeed gotta be the pits, I've read about case after case of people using the time to reinvent themselves with new skills and ability to enter a new field.

I think one of the issues with this economic slowdown is that many jobs will be gone for good, and the economy will continue its structural shift away from certain careers into new ones. Secret is being able to judge the hot jobs for tomorrow and position oneself ready to get them.

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 25):
As a matter of interest, what happens in the States when your 99 weeks runs out?

When its out, its out. Normal unemployment benefits is for 26-weeks max.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 31):
So does this vote mean?
Was this to extend beyond the 99 weeks?
Was this to cut off people cold-turkey regardless of how many weeks they've already collected?
The whole thing seems confusing.

This week the LA Times had a bit of an explanation.

The normal state paid unemployment benefits last for 26-weeks, which has not changed.
Congress to date has approved and paid for on 3 occasions extensions of benefits up to todays 99-weeks. These payments are what finally expired early in June.
The latest vote which has gotten repeatedly turned down (as its far beyond an unemployment only bill, having lots of other fat attached) would further extend benefits for 20 additional weeks until some November date. So people would have now 120-weeks of possible claims.

The news this morning is that the Republican's are willing to vote on an unemployment only bill without the added crap being attached to it. Let see what happens.

[Edited 2010-06-27 09:11:39]
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

AGM100

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:50 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 1):
what about getting yourself a job (even if it means to move to another city, county, state or country)?

A obviously racist KKK member could only say this ....  

My Dad raised 6 kids .... worked every kind of job including agriculture , farm work , auto mechanic , office cleaning service at night , tow truck driver , short order cook ,washing dishes, construction work, ...... never once in all those years did he take a government check ( except from the Army) . We were poor ...8 of us living in a 2 room trailer ... we had nothing. I remember getting my first baseball glove .... my parents probably had to save for a few months to get it. The pastor from our chuch paid my fees for little leauge other wise the $12.00 was out of the question.

Taking welfare from the government in their minds then was as my Mom said ... "taking away from those truly needy people" . Imagine that... we were dirt poor but they saw others as being more needy then them... these are the people who built America !

Get a job ..or make a job ... now that is what Americans and free people do !
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

Braybuddy

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:52 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 37):
When its out, its out. Normal unemployment benefits is for 26-weeks max

How do these people live?

PPVRA

Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:39 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 39):
How do these people live?

Settle for the first job they can get. Even in this economy, you do see job posts and people are hiring, it's just that they aren't the ones people are really looking for (better paying ones). Naturally, they need to substantially cut down their living standards, or else their debt skyrockets. . something that unfortunately happens to many. Learning can be a painful experience.

This is what I see happening in the Atlanta area anyways.

[Edited 2010-06-27 16:40:32]
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

iairallie

Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:06 am

Quoting soon7x7 (Reply 34):
...they can still lose their positions as well as anyone else...this economy will get worse before it gets better, so any one here is subject to the pink slip

Thats true and many of us have experienced a layoff, furlough or other career setback so I think we are pretty qualified to judge the OP.

Quoting cadet57 (Reply 35):
Yay having a recession proof job

Ok that was kinda a douchy thing to say. You are usually a pretty cool guy so that was seriously beneath you. Not everyone can have a recession proof job. What is at issue here is how people elect to prepare for and then deal with adversity in their working lifespan.

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 38):
My Dad raised 6 kids

And it sounds like he & your mom raised them well!

[Edited 2010-06-28 12:19:43 by srbmod]
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

Cadet57

Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:10 pm

Quoting iairallie (Reply 46):
Ok that was kinda a douchy thing to say. You are usually a pretty cool guy so that was seriously beneath you.

Yeah... maybe a little looking at it. But he appears like he would be so ecstatic that I could loose my job so I thought i'd let him know that that possibility is fairly remote. And in any event. My post was more in sarcasm/ tongue in cheek. The economy has done a number on my industry too. It sucks out loud. Im just lucky that finding work in my field hasnt disappeared entirely.

propilot83
Topic Author

Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:24 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 42):
Quoting propilot83 (Reply 41):
and of course least but not last

Don't you mean "last but not least"?

Yes pardon my mistake, "last but not least,"

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 42):
Quoting propilot83 (Reply 41):
in diverse

"In diverse"? What the hell does that mean? Is that even a word?

Again pardon my mistake (were only humans we make mistakes, I used the spell check and in diverse came up) what I meant was the opposite of being diverse you know, like I am patient and your impatient.

ManuCH
Crew

Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:26 pm

Unfortunately, this thread has started to veer in the wrong direction and has turned into a user-bashing fest. Thread locked.

Any additional posts that are made to this thread after this post will be removed for housekeeping purposes, as this may happen due to a short system lag.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself